LG L226WT 22" 3000:1 Contrast

I did run through this whole thread but fast. Is it still not know for shure if this is a 6 or 8bit Monitor ?

Is this what you're looking for in pivot?

HPIM0744.gif

Sorry guys, I really know dick about LCD's, when u say the mouse keeps up u mean there's no ghosting? ie, I move the mouse side to side and I can watch the middle and there is still a mouse icon there.

I'll have a side by side tomorrow with a 2407WFP when I bring it into work.

If there are any software tests I can run I'd be happy to do it. I know there's some stuff out there.

can you confirm the pivot function
is it available?

it would be great if you could compare the backlight bleed
is it any better than samsung's ?

Sure, I'll look at that, image quality, any backlight bleeding, input lag, stuck pixels, etc, etc. And I'll compare it to everything else there (hopefully they'll have the Samsung 22'). Since I'm seriously considering this monitor (in two weeks when I get my new system), you can bet I'll give it some extensive observation :p

I'm leaving in about 20 minutes, but will be eating dinner up there afterwards, so won't be reporting back until later this evening.

I did run through this whole thread but fast. Is it still not know for shure if this is a 6 or 8bit Monitor ?

It's a TN, but all the specs list it as 8-bit. The L204 is also a TN, but most members in that thread concluded that it's a true 8-bit, meaning an 8-bit TN from LG isn't un-heard of.

Travabomb said he'll check it out, and I might ask a BB employee when I'm there (though I'm sure they'll have no idea what I'm talking about).

Also, mindaugas, we all appreciate everything!

Ok, I'm off. :D

Did anyone ever figure out if this has 1:1 pixel mapping? I didn't see it advertised has having such anywhere.

This thread was too long for me to read everything but I just picked one of these up (LG L226WT). I was going to get the Samsung but I saw this and couldn't resist. So without even reviewing I picked it up on specs alone and I am impressed. It is incredibly bright, and everythign looks great on it. I use a 2407WFP at work and that is an awe inspiring LCD, but I sure don't mind coming home anymore. I'm just happy I don't have to squint at my Insprion 9400 display anymore.

I live in south Denver, the park meadows BB was sold out, there were 4 left at the Colorado and I-25, it got there last night. So it looks like I wasn't the only one. Except I happened by chance, I didn't even realize it was released. Lucky me

haha i went to the BB at i-25 and Colorado last night and got myself a G5. its pretty sweet. small world.

i didnt see this display there...maybe ill go today and check it out

r those G5's still $35, I got lucky a few weeks ago and got the last one they had for $35

all I have is WoW installed right now, but it looks awesome.

no problem guys, happy to help, as I said, any apps that anyone knows of for testing LCDs I'll be happy to try out.

I have no dead/stuck pixels in this one either.

pivot I assuem you mean angling it up and down? I put a pic in an above post of the model pivoted all the way up.

btw, the L226WT-BF DID NOT come with a DVI cable, just the VGA. I had to swipe the DVI off another LCD :(

the wt is the one that oddly had a 5ms response rate over thew wa version, maybe you bought the mild budget version of the 226.

Pivot allows you to turn around your display so you have a 10:16 ratio instead of 16:10.
This is a nice feature if you are working with a text editor e.g. Winword, OpenOffice, ...
NFLCDstnd-anim2.gif

Ok, so I just got back from BB where they had this monitor on display (L226WT).

The bad news, though, is thata they were running all their monitors on some downscaled resolution and VGA (wtf! :mad: ) So I'll reserve judgement on picture quality for now.

Viewing angles were good, and I didn't notice any back-light bleeding whatsoever (but the 6-slide demos weren't really ideal for detecting this). It was standing next to the Westinghouse 22', which kinda looked washed out compared to the LG.They also had the Samsung 225 sitting on the shelf below, but the rep. said they weren't going to be selling the 226 (except online).

He also mentioned that the L226WT was the 2ms, and that the WT-BF was the 5ms (no mention of the WA). I think he said they weren't going to carry the BF, though.

It wasn't hooked up to a mouse so I couldn't test for input lag, but being a non-PVA, that's not much of a worry for me.Price was $399, the same as the Westinghouse and Samsung.

Like I said, it's really hard making judgements without being in their native resolutions (1680x1050), but I'm still intending to purchase this display for my new system in two weeks.

So you purchased the WT-BF one? Did it list it as 2ms or 5ms (I think you may have already answered that, so sorry if so).

@mindaugas
It would be very kind of you if you could take a picture illustrating the pivot.
According to this site it does but I am not sure whether it is a typo or not.

It says it also has hieght adjustment as well,can anyone who owns it confirm this ? Oh,and have you noticed any color banding ? mindaugas,thanks for your help and posts,and enjoy the new toy ! :)

Edit 2: That LCD has some of the best viewing angles I have ever seen on a TN.

I am pretty sure that that the WT-BF just means Black Front, since the bezel is black. The WT is the silver version. There is no reason why they would have different response rates since they both use the panel. I suspect that the WA version is also 2ms and uses the same panel. There is no reason why they would use different panels, especially between the silver and black. I think all of the references to 5ms were typos from early speculation, and people quoting this number today are misinformed. As far as we know, LG.Philips (the manufacturer of the panel) only has one 22" TN panel, the LM220WE1.

It's a TN, but all the specs list it as 8-bit. The L204 is also a TN, but most members in that thread concluded that it's a true 8-bit, meaning an 8-bit TN from LG isn't un-heard of.

The LG-Philips "Digital Catalog" PDF lists the LM220WE1 panel as having "6-bit+A-FRC". This is different from the specs on the LM220WE1 web page itself which says 8-bit. I am inclined to believe their PDF brochure as it makes more sense. I have not seen a TN panel that can do true 8-bit color, yet. What "FRC" means is "frame rate control." This means that the panel can oscillate (usually on successive frames) between two bounding color values to reproduce the one in the middle. For example, let's say that the graphics card calls for a pixel intensity of 240, but the LCD pixels can only produce 239 and 241. In this case, the pixel will oscillate between 239 and 241, producing an average intensity of 240. In theory, you should not be able to tell. In practice...especially when looking at a static image...this technology can be fraught with side-effects if not implemented properly. I don't know what the "A" stands for..."Advanced", "Asymmetric," "Abysmal"....?

Mofongo

LCD-Philips Monitor LCD website: http://www.lgphilips-lcd.com/homeContain/jsp/eng/prd/prd200_j_e.jsp

A good explanation of FRC: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/lcd-guide_11.html

I am pretty sure that that the WT-BF just means Black Front, since the bezel is black.

This makes sense, but the one at BB was WT (non BF), but had a black front / bezal.

Also, Mofongo, thanks for the explanation. As long as it genuinely convinces people it's a true-8bit (as in the L204 thread), though, I'm thinking it should be good enough for my liking. :p

Well while perusing the LG support site, I found the manual in PDF form. There however is no way to direct link to the PDF, or even the search that brings up the file. So I have mirrored the file on my personal webspace found here.

hmm, I didn't mention this in my other post, but the whites on this display were absolutely superb. I couldn't really test the darks / blacks since the demos didn't really permit (although they looked good from what I could tell). But every 6th demo where the white screen would come up, this monitor blew the Westinghouse (and the others around it)away.

T
Also, Mofongo, thanks for the explanation. As long as it genuinely convinces people it's a true-8bit (as in the L204 thread), though, I'm thinking it should be good enough for my liking. :p

Absolutely. The proof is in the pudding. If there are no artifacts with the FRC implementation, then you should not be able to tell the difference between that and "true" 8-bit. I don't know at what rate the oscillation occurs. The best case would be at the pixel response time limit. A pixel with 5ms black-to-black should be able to transition between two adjacent colors in much less than 1ms, which would be completely impossible to detect (even 5 ms would be impossible to see). On the other hand, if a full oscillation took 1/30th sec [worse case], then maybe you could see it...especially if you were looking at a static image with lots of pixels that were oscillating.

My guess is that the real timing is somewhere in between these two extremes. Since LG-Philips has been making these FRC panels for awhile, they probably have it down pretty good. Given all the other fancy capabilities that they put into these things that operate at <~ 10ms timescales (e.g. overdrive), I would guess that making FRC too fast to perceive should be easy (but I am just guessing here).

Probably the easiest way to see any side-effect would be if somebody who owns the unit could set their desktop to full 24-bit, bring up a high-res image with smooth color gradients on it, then look for any signs of wiggling or fuzziness at certain colors.

Mofongo

can you guys that buy this post some xbox 360 pics with the vga cable ? I wonder how nice it scales, especially if it doesnt do 1:1

just as much black light bleed as other models, if not more... i guess its the 20 incher for me, unless theres a better alternative

some backlight bleed visible :(

Maybe I'm just not sensitive to it, but I don't seem to notice any...:confused:

The monitor definately looks beautiful, though. Maybe we'll have some new buyers today :)

(btw, did anyone see those ads at the bottom of the page ;) )

just as much black light bleed as other models, if not more... i guess its the 20 incher for me, unless theres a better alternative

Hmm, perhaps look into the Samsung 226. I know it's similiar to this, but it might be worth a look.

been looking at the LG204WT monitor for my gaming and computer needs... but ill look

the stand that came with the LG DOES NOT support pivoting, sorry for my n00bness on this earlier

this is the model number on the back of the LCD that I got: L226WT - BF

obviously just black front as posted here, I'm just basing the response time off what LG's website says. Anyone have any confirmation on whther it is 5ms or 2ms? Is there a way to test this?

some backlight bleed visible
Isn't this very much depending on the adjustment of a display?
The brightness is often set to high. Lowering the brightness will reduce this effect significantly.

The LG-Philips "Digital Catalog" PDF lists the LM220WE1 panel as having "6-bit+A-FRC"
Can you please post a link to that pdf file?

Can someone who has the monitor confirm if it has 1:1 pixel mapping or at least some function that preserves the signal's aspect ratio (I need it for my PS3 :) ).

Thank you!

the stand that came with the LG DOES NOT support pivoting, sorry for my n00bness on this earlier

figured that out
there's no height regulation ;)

considering L226WA and L226WT
what I found says 2ms in both cases

on the German site 5ms (-WT) :confused:
but it's
5 ms (ISO Messung)

Guys is it possible the whole 2ms mess is because the 2ms value is for GTG while the 5 ms is for white to black measurements?

If both the L226WA and the L226WT use the same panel it is most likely that the L226WA uses some sort of overdrive technology to achieve 2ms reponse time G2G.
Like the Asus MW221U which "native" response time is 5ms (2ms if overdrive is active).
Why should LG invest money on the development of two panels being that similar?

And finally, the panel this monitor uses, the LG.Philips LM220WE1

l226wtpanelwc3.jpg

Back