LG and Google announce the Nexus 4

I saw the posts saying that they're not really out of stock and you just have to keep refreshing, so I did. Just got my order in a few min ago and I'm upgrading from a HTC Sensation so it'll be fun seeing how much of a difference the phone makes :)

I saw the posts saying that they're not really out of stock and you just have to keep refreshing, so I did. Just got my order in a few min ago and I'm upgrading from a HTC Sensation so it'll be fun seeing how much of a difference the phone makes :)

Are you EST?

Showing as sold out on the Nexus 4 webpage now too. I had a 8 gig within my reach earlier but my bank somehow rejected it because they thoughtit was a fraudelant purchase :confused:

Last edited:
Nexus 4 launch is a failure for Google Play
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nexus-4-launch-is-a-failure-for-Google-Play_id36581

Fair warning: we tried to purchase a Nexus 4 from the Google Play Store when it went on sale today in the US, and were unable to purchase one, so there is a fair chance that this article will be a touch angry. That said, the Nexus 4 launch today was a complete failure for the Google Play Store, because our experience was one that many users faced.

The rumor had been that the Nexus 4 would go on sale at noon EST (9AM PST), but Google jumped the gun, and the actual launch happened somewhere around 11:36AM EST (8:36AM PST). Unfortunately, the launch was anything but smooth. There were no fewer than 6 times when we had a Nexus 4 in our Google Play shopping cart, but we were not able to purchase the device any of those times because of various errors, and we weren't alone.

Nexus 4 launch is a failure for Google Play
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nexus-4-launch-is-a-failure-for-Google-Play_id36581

Fair warning: we tried to purchase a Nexus 4 from the Google Play Store when it went on sale today in the US, and were unable to purchase one, so there is a fair chance that this article will be a touch angry. That said, the Nexus 4 launch today was a complete failure for the Google Play Store, because our experience was one that many users faced.

The rumor had been that the Nexus 4 would go on sale at noon EST (9AM PST), but Google jumped the gun, and the actual launch happened somewhere around 11:36AM EST (8:36AM PST). Unfortunately, the launch was anything but smooth. There were no fewer than 6 times when we had a Nexus 4 in our Google Play shopping cart, but we were not able to purchase the device any of those times because of various errors, and we weren't alone.
Same here. I had the 16 GB version in my cart 5 times. I wasn't planning on keeping it. Just reselling it at a $50-100 up-charge.

I was gonna buy one next week, but now it's for the better they are pushed back until stock arrive. I can read real people first hand use, see if there are hardware or any other issues ?

Call me crazy, but if the jailbreak was out for the iPhone5, I might actually have been pushed to buy an iPhone5, and jailbreak it. But will wait it out most likely for the Nexus 4 still.

Craigslist is chock full of Nexus 4 LOL :eek: Some ads seem legit with order #'s and delivery date, others say pick up tomorrow, LOL, like they will even have them tomorrow ?

One guy listed a "Galaxy Nexus 4", the newest Android smartphone, sealed and in the box never opened. Selling for $550. LOL :) WTF phone does he have ? No way he has an actual LG Nexus 4 yet. I suppose maybe it's the T-Mobile version out already ?

Well maybe I lucked out. I decided to email google to figure out the status of my order. I thought it was cancelled because my bank originally rejected the charge and google sent me a cancellation email. They also sent me an email that stated "If you'd still like to receive this order make sure to update your payment information in your Google Wallet account, rather than placing a new order. If you place a new order with updated payment information, any pending orders will resume automatically. If valid payment information isn't provided within 7 days, the order will be cancelled"

I straightened out my bank and google wallet problems and now the response I just recieved from support states "Orders are shipped within two business days of placing your order, and will be delivered upon two additional business days of processing.
According to our records, your order should ship by the evening of November 15
"

So no funds yet deducted from my bank account and no confirmation email yet so I guess I'll wait and see. If anyone else out there has similiar checkout problems maybe you will luck out too :)

Craigslist is chock full of Nexus 4 LOL :eek: Some ads seem legit with order #'s and delivery date, others say pick up tomorrow, LOL, like they will even have them tomorrow ?

One guy listed a "Galaxy Nexus 4", the newest Android smartphone, sealed and in the box never opened. Selling for $550. LOL :) WTF phone does he have ? No way he has an actual LG Nexus 4 yet. I suppose maybe it's the T-Mobile version out already ?

There were some people on Xda that already had there hands on them. I think a few were from Europe and some were from T mobile here in the US. I also read they were selling for $500 for a 16 gig at T mobile. I could be wrong but take a look at the US thread on the Nexus 4 forums over there if you're interested.

capitalism...

Example of what's wrong with today's society.............

Why try to buy one when you aren't going to use it? It just screws up the buying process for those that actually want to get one and use it.

capitalism...

I honestly thought it was called scalping and is generally frowned upon.

I thought capitalism was an economic system/concept that is based on private ownership of the means of production and the creation of goods or services for profit (Shrugs). ;)

Two very different things IMO.

it'll be sold unlocoked as GSM/HSPA+ compatible -- No LTE mentioned.

I'm going to report this because of the hidden images that you linked...but everyone in this thread already knows that it doesn't have LTE :p

I am not whining about the lack of LTE, I understand why it is not there, but I can't go back to a phone without it :/

I don't see the big craze with LTE, the data caps are so ridiculous, speed is not really important. If you actually sustain something long enough at the max speed you'll reach the cap in minutes. We need caps that are either non existent, or equivalent to regular internet.

I don't see the big craze with LTE, the data caps are so ridiculous, speed is not really important. If you actually sustain something long enough at the max speed you'll reach the cap in minutes. We need caps that are either non existent, or equivalent to regular internet.

At this point I would like LTE but that isn't even the issue. To me this is a phone with a top tier flagship OS but middling performing hardware. I love the freedom of Android like the next guy but why do Apple engineers seem to make a performance beast of a phone and Android OEM's can't match it? I mean look at all the benchmarks the iphone 5 smokes this thing for the most part. Why is that? Are Android vendors simply outclassed? Is ios optimized for speed more so than Android? I'm not trying to start a flame war but if you're gonna take away features that were seen as Android pluses years ago (removable battery, micro SD) then you have to play with the big boys and offer neck and neck performance with Apple. I know I'm going to get killed for looking at benchmarks but what am I supposed to do buy every phone myself? I still might bend because I crave the pure Android experience but they have made it hard on me.

I think for this iteration Google aimed for an aggressive pricing scheme. Not sure exactly how much a no contract iphone 5 sells for, but I doubt it's anywhere near the $349 of the Nexus :p

I think for this iteration Google aimed for an aggressive pricing scheme. Not sure exactly how much a no contract iphone 5 sells for, but I doubt it's anywhere near the $349 of the Nexus :p

You got that right....

Lack of stock for sale, might force me a Note II now. I need a new phone soon.

The inability on google's part to predict the zerg rush of orders mystifies me. Launching at rock bottom prices, they didn't expect that everyone would want one? I have an iPhone 5 and am perfectly happy, but I still am planning to get one to try out Android.

But okay, I'm not particularly hard up for one so am happy to wait a couple of weeks til they get their act in order.

Tethering my PC to my phone sees me easily passing 5GB of data. Last month I went slightly above 10GB. Pretty much my #1 reason for wanting 4G. Otherwise, I am okay without it.

Tethering my PC to my phone sees me easily passing 5GB of data. Last month I went slightly above 10GB. Pretty much my #1 reason for wanting 4G. Otherwise, I am okay without it.

My billing cycle ended last night at midnight. According to AT&T
Unlimited - 36080.79 MB used
According to a MB --> GB calculator, that's 35.24GB. I tethered a LOT and don't have real 4G, just spotty HSPA+. In this area, I usually get 1.5mbps-2.0mbps. I sometimes double that. I've watched Netflix constantly on my laptop just fine. No issues unless I enable HD.

4G LTE is nice and I'd definitely like it. But, it's not like dial-up to cable like some say. It's more like dsl to cable, with dial-up being 2G.

In September I wanted to see how much I could DL in one month with my G-Nex tethered to my PC/Laptop using 4G....I managed 114GB by the end of the month. It might be a world record...lol. (All totally legal Linux torrents of course)

6Zb5p.png

Here are my 4G speeds in my area, Central New York.

08fpc.png

Moral of the story, no 4G, me no buy phone. I love 4G. :D
I have damn near broadband internet in my pocket.

Edit: I had to reinstall PdaNet mid-month as it started acting flaky. Hence why it shows installed and uninstalled programs.

Last edited:
I have to ask. Why would your order a phone that does not have LTE? If I had to go back to regular 4g or even 3g speeds I would explode. LTE is 10 times faster than either 4g or 3g in my area anyway (CA Bay Area At&T) I would have gotten the N4 in a heart beat but no LTE just killed it for me. Almost every review said the same thing. That this phone could have been a awesome phone but because of no LTE its a critical flaw. Now I understand alot of people don't have LTE in their area, but it just doesn't make any sense to me. You could have gotten an S3 or any other unlocked LTE phone for like $100 more.

I don't care about mobile data that much. I just need to be able to google something in a pinch, run a few apps (check my paypal account or my bank account), use navigation once in a while. I've never had LTE...nor a smartphone with the big 3.

At home I use wi-fi. I sit in front of a computer most of the day at work so it's not like I need data here - once in a while I stream pandora on my phone (not supposed to stream with the corp. internet). Once in a while I had to tether for oncall (if I was at the park with the kids or something and I got called) - but these days I'm not oncall anymore.

My data use this month is 243MB with 6 days left until my next re-up.

Then again, if I'm out and about, I read a book or my Nook...not watch movies. Only way I can think of you could go through so more than a gig or two of data. Watching movies and TV on my phone seems silly - if I do want to watch something, I'd rather watch it at home on the plasma and the HT.

I have to ask. Why would your order a phone that does not have LTE? If I had to go back to regular 4g or even 3g speeds I would explode. LTE is 10 times faster than either 4g or 3g in my area anyway (CA Bay Area At&T) I would have gotten the N4 in a heart beat but no LTE just killed it for me. Almost every review said the same thing. That this phone could have been a awesome phone but because of no LTE its a critical flaw. Now I understand alot of people don't have LTE in their area, but it just doesn't make any sense to me. You could have gotten an S3 or any other unlocked LTE phone for like $100 more.
In the UK, LTE has just launched but coverage is minimal. I know for a fact my nearest city won't get it till 2nd Quarter of next year but that's on one network. The same network that wants to change £36/m for 500MB download limit; begs the question of why have 4G speeds??

So just remember, Google wants this phone to go global and the majority of the world uses GSM and hasn't got widespread LTE/4G yet.

In the UK, LTE has just launched but coverage is minimal. I know for a fact my nearest city won't get it till 2nd Quarter of next year but that's on one network. The same network that wants to change £36/m for 500MB download limit; begs the question of why have 4G speeds??

So just remember, Google wants this phone to go global and the majority of the world uses GSM and hasn't got widespread LTE/4G yet.
The problem is America is the largest demographics for smartphone and also the most high tech market. The LG Optimus G is using the Qualcomm MDM9615 3G/4G modem, which is a multi-modal modem. This multi-modal modem only requires firmware to change it from one LTE spectrum to the other. The Nexus 4, instead, is using the MDM9215 which is a 3G only modem. What kind of BS is that?!?

Last edited:
The problem is America is the largest demographics for smartphone and also the most high tech market. The LG Optimus G is using the Qualcomm MDM9615 3G/4G modem, which is a multi-modal modem. This multi-modal modem only requires firmware to change it from one LTE spectrum to the other. The Nexus 4, instead, is using the MDM9215 which is a 3G only modem. What kind of BS is that?!?

Sure, if they kept the chip from the Optimus G they can switch between LTE spectrums via firmware, but for Google to get the phone on those networks it'll require the phone to be licensed and certified for each of them. Google has already expressed their displeasure with how it worked out last time (particularly with regards to the software update process), so it seems fairly evident why they didn't go with LTE for now. Not really seeing the "BS".

Sure, if they kept the chip from the Optimus G they can switch between LTE spectrums via firmware, but for Google to get the phone on those networks it'll require the phone to be licensed and certified for each of them. Google has already expressed their displeasure with how it worked out last time (particularly with regards to the software update process), so it seems fairly evident why they didn't go with LTE for now. Not really seeing the "BS".
Google doesn't have the update the radios, so all they'll have to do is launch it and license it once, and reuse the same roaming list with later updates. They could have make it modular. And as for carriers, it was only Verizon being a bitch. The way the carriers are will not change. Google claims that LTE modems are not advanced enough to support every LTE in the world. The MDM9615 has proved that to be a false statement. And, obviously, Google had access to it. So if that's still not enough, then that means Google will never put LTE in their phones again. If Microsoft can update all phones at the same time, why can't Google with just their one line of Nexus devices? That's why this is total BS from Google.

Google doesn't have the update the radios, so all they'll have to do is launch it and license it once, and reuse the same roaming list with later updates. They could have make it modular. And as for carriers, it was only Verizon being a bitch. The way the carriers are will not change. Google claims that LTE modems are not advanced enough to support every LTE in the world. The MDM9615 has proved that to be a false statement. And, obviously, Google had access to it. So if that's still not enough, then that means Google will never put LTE in their phones again. If Microsoft can update all phones at the same time, why can't Google with just their one line of Nexus devices? That's why this is total BS from Google.

This is incorrect. You are using wishful thinking as a basis for fact. It doesn't work this way. Apple used the same radio in the iPhone 5. They still had to release 3 different versions and still could not support even half of the utilized LTE bands in use today.

Qualcomm's next radios give us some hope, but the current radio is not the panacea you wish it to be.

That would be freaking expensive though, I don't know why anyone would want to do that. Data caps are too low for general usage, and then you pay per MB or even KB in some cases, it's retarded. Using 5GB would end up to at least several hundred dollars.

3G is already faster than land line internet, well at least in Canada. Everyone in the states seems to have 100MB+ connections. We're so behind here. :(

This is incorrect. You are using wishful thinking as a basis for fact. It doesn't work this way. Apple used the same radio in the iPhone 5. They still had to release 3 different versions and still could not support even half of the utilized LTE bands in use today.

Qualcomm's next radios give us some hope, but the current radio is not the panacea you wish it to be.
What part of different firmware do you not understand? Apple also only has two models in America; the Verizon/Sprint version on also roam the world LTE. The third model is for the world.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

And the next Qualcomm modem MDM9625 only adds LTE-A. Which means if you believe in this so-called "reason" by Google, then the next Nexus will also not have LTE.

As for the "half of LTE bands," according to wikipedia, in North America, 700/800 and 1700/1900 MHz are used; 2500 MHz in South America; 800, 900, 1800, 2600 MHz in Europe; 1800 and 2600 MHz in Asia; and 1800 MHz in Australia, looks like the only band unsupported is 2500 MHz and 2600 MHz. That's 10 out of 12, which is OVER 80%... Whether the MDM9615 could support those missing bands if programmed to so do is another story. The MDM9615 has been programmed for 10 different bands on the Nokia Lumia 920 (17 total with overlaps). So Google could as easily release two Nexus 4's that will combined almost everything.

Last edited:
Getting angry and insulting someone doesn't make you right. Didn't work before and won't work now. If it was as simple as you say, Google would have done it. Even Apple couldn't do it with one model, hence 3 different models. And no, there are between 35 and 46 LTE bands in use in the world today. Cherry picking a smaller amount does not make you correct.

Bottom line is, you are wrong, as usual. Now do as you always do and get the last word in so that you can feel better about yourself.

Getting angry and insulting someone doesn't make you right. Didn't work before and won't work now. If it was as simple as you say, Google would have done it. Even Apple couldn't do it with one model, hence 3 different models. And no, there are between 35 and 46 LTE bands in use in the world today. Cherry picking a smaller amount does not make you correct.

Bottom line is, you are wrong, as usual. Now do as you always do and get the last word in so that you can feel better about yourself.
Where is your proof? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_(telecommunication)
Seriously, tell me how you worked out that 50% number. Or do you also need a +/- 50% margin of error?

Apple released 3 models of iPhone 5 to work for over 80% of the LTE bands.

How many models of the Galaxy Nexus did Google release due to basebands? 5.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_Nexus

How many models of the Nexus S? Also 5.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexus_S

Google could have as easily made 3! That's why it's total BS from Google's end.

P.S. Cite your sources the next time you want to argue. I can be all Paul Ryan and pull BS numbers and percentages from ideological standpoints too. If you think Wikipedia is wrong, needs updating, or incomplete, feel free to make updates.

P.P.S. 10 out of 12 is not 50%. And 27% is also not 2x! Sorry, I had to rub it in cause evidently I'm insulting you by pointing those out!

Last edited:
Again, you're not seeing the bigger picture here. The Google wants one model of this phone to work all over the world and the US isn't the whole world...
As others have mentioned already, there's costs and delays when adding LTE support. No one said they couldn't do it technically like Apple but when you're on a tight schedule and LTE worldwide is still in its infancy then it isn't a priority. Besides, can you imagine Verizon allow Google direct updates for the Nexus 4? It didn't happen with the last Nexus...

Again, you're not seeing the bigger picture here. The Google wants one model of this phone to work all over the world and the US isn't the whole world...
As others have mentioned already, there's costs and delays when adding LTE support. No one said they couldn't do it technically like Apple but when you're on a tight schedule and LTE worldwide is still in its infancy then it isn't a priority. Besides, can you imagine Verizon allow Google direct updates for the Nexus 4? It didn't happen with the last Nexus...
The MDM9615 multi-modal modem could have taken at least 10 different basebands. Google could support 2 or 3 devices would cover most of the world instead of the 5 or 6 like the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus S before that. The American market now demands LTE. So the Nexus 4 is just an "enthusiast" device for fanboys - myself included. People can get other android phones with LTE; but Google could have made a killer phone.

Google should have ignored Verizon in the first place and be GSM carriers only. And in America, there's only two GSM carriers with LTE or preparing for LTE. They operate on 700Mhz, 1700MHz, and 2100MHz. So instead of a pentaband (5) phone which supports 850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz, just make it a hexaband (6) phone with the additional 700 MHz band. That's LTE in America. Then for the second phone, just do what Apple did on their world iPhone 5 model. It's that easy.

The MDM9615 multi-modal modem could have taken at least 10 different basebands. Google could support 2 or 3 devices would cover most of the world instead of the 5 or 6 like the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus S before that. The American market now demands LTE. So the Nexus 4 is just an "enthusiast" device for fanboys - myself included. People can get other android phones with LTE; but Google could have made a killer phone.

Google should have ignored Verizon in the first place and be GSM carriers only. And in America, there's only two GSM carriers with LTE or preparing for LTE. They operate on 700Mhz, 1700MHz, and 2100MHz. So instead of a pentaband (5) phone which supports 850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz, just make it a hexaband (6) phone with the additional 700 MHz band. That's LTE in America. Then for the second phone, just do what Apple did on their world iPhone 5 model. It's that easy.

Why does America demand LTE? Because it's being showed down our throats. With new technology come new, higher prices. LTE is a cash pinata until a new technology shows up.

Few people have much use for LTE on their phones. Those who watch online movies at high-res and those who use their phones as an online modem, whatever the proper term is. Both of these cases also become null and void given the facts that a), human eye won't notice a significant difference between a 480p and 720p resolutions on such a small screen and b), phone companies want to limit and throttle high bandwidth users. This probably won't change due to the semi-recent FCC rulings.

Whatever Google's main reason was for not going for LTE, I'm sure the above came into consideration.

Last but not least... Since the phone sold out in so little time, I'm sure Google will take that into consideration next year. There could be no LTE since, clearly, there are plenty of users who won't care for LTE.

Back