LG and Google announce the Nexus 4

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
This should be the official LG Nexus 4 thread. Now it is 100% official from both Google and LG;

LG and Google announce the Nexus 4
http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-and-google-announce-nexus-4

It'll be made available in both 8GB and 16GB versions starting November 13 in the US, UK, Canada, Germany, France, Spain and Australia, with pricing set for U.S. $299 (8GB) / $349 (16GB). The 16GB version will also be available through T-Mobile for $199, with a 2-year contract.
https://play.google.com/store/devices?feature=corpus_selector

nexus_grid2.jpg

Last edited:
Full specs:

Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon™ S4 Pro processor with 1.5GHz Quad-Core Krait CPUs
Operating System: Android 4.2, Jelly Bean
Network: 3G (WCDMA), HSPA+
Display: 4.7-inch WXGA True HD IPS Plus (1280 x 768 pixels)
Memory: 8GB / 16GB
RAM: 2GB
Camera: 8.0MP rear / 1.3MP HD front
Battery: 2,100mAh Li-Polymer (embedded) / Talk time: 15.3 hours / Standby: 390 hours
Size: 133.9 x 68.7 x 9.1mm
Weight: 139g
Other: Wireless charging, NFC

LG and Google have finally made the Nexus 4 official. It is as we've seen this whole time -- 4.7-inch IPS display, Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro at 1.5 GHz, and Android 4.2 Jelly Bean. It'll be available starting Nov. 13 in the U.S., UK, Canada, Germany, France, Spain and Australia.

The Nexus 4 will come in 8- and 16-gigabyte versions. No word on pricing just yet, but it'll be sold unlocoked as GSM/HSPA+ compatible -- No LTE mentioned.

http://googleblog.blogspot.co.uk/20.../nexus-best-of-google-now-in-three-sizes.html

Great value
We’ve always focused on building great devices at great value. And we think today’s devices offer the very best that money can buy. Here are more details on when and where you can pick up your next Nexus device:

•Nexus 4: 8GB for $299; 16GB for $349; available unlocked and without a contract on 11/13 on the Google Play store in U.S., U.K., Australia, France, Germany, Spain and Canada. The 16GB version will also be available through T-Mobile for $199, with a 2-year contract (check here for more details).
•Nexus 7: 16GB for $199 and 32GB for $249; available in U.S., U.K., Australia, France, Germany, Spain, Canada and Japan, and also through our retail partners Gamestop, Office Depot, Office Max, Staples, Walmart.
•Nexus 7 with 32GB and mobile data: $299 and unlocked, on sale 11/13 in the Google Play store in U.S., U.K., Australia, France, Germany, Spain and Canada.
•Nexus 10: 16GB for $399; 32GB for $499; available on 11/13 in the Google Play Store in U.S., U.K., Australia, France, Germany, Spain, Canada and Japan

So it's official...no LTE Nexus 4. Guess my GNex will be with me for a long time at this point.

The Nexus 4 will come in 8- and 16-gigabyte versions for $299 and $349, respectively. No word on pricing just yet,

From OP source. Dafuq?

I must say I am tremendously impressed with the pricing scheme they've announced. Unfortunately I was just laid off yesterday, so there go my hopes of owning all 3. Heh.

Last edited:
Crazy low prices. Definitely considering the Nexus 4 to replace my Nexus S.. want to see if I get 4.2 first though.

Will this work on the T-Mobile prepaid plan like the Galaxy Nexus?

For sure, I am buying the Nexus 4 to use on Straight Talk. And T-Mobile is the only U.S carrier so far to be officially listed as selling a subsidized version on contract for $199.

If you have the Nexus-S, the Nexus 4 will be a massive upgrade.

Two things,

1. Probably not going to be carried on VZW :(
2. 16GB is max? I would have thought at least having 32GB as an option.

Otherwise, looks like a fantastically priced phone.

Two things,

1. Probably not going to be carried on VZW :(
2. 16GB is max? I would have thought at least having 32GB as an option.

Otherwise, looks like a fantastically priced phone.

Duarte says they want the Nexus 4 to be sold on all carriers worldwide. I would guess Verizon will get their own LTE version at some point, but not for awhile. At least with HSPA+ it will work totally fine on T-Mobile and ATT. The CDMA carriers are the ones not getting it. And I used to have both Sprint and Verizon service, fuck CDMA they blow, and Verizon is the biggest rip off known to man, unless your company pays your Verizon bill, or you have some ancient grandfather plan, otherwise Verizon for a new personal subscriber is a rape of a monthly price.

Full unlimited plan for on single phone on Verizon = approx $120/month, full unlimited plan on Straight Talk = approx $45/month. My wife and I with two phones on Verizon were paying roughly $240 per month, had the unlimited plan on both phones, we use a lot of minutes. The same plan on Straight Talk with two phones is roughly $90 per month, no issues with service, no data caps issues the past several months, no dropped calls, no network drops here in Chicago at all.

For me Straight Talk all the way baby.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the glass back. Hopefully the camera is a bigger upgrade than the crap on the last Nexus.

4.2 looks like a nice upgrade though

For that price, I'll probably get a Nexus 4. My Note has been good to me, but I'm getting the upgrade itch and Samsung's slooooow updates aren't helping. I love their hardware, but it might be time to stick to Nexus phones from now on.

well.. for VZW users.. at least for me.. looks like Note2 then, if this isnt going to be on VZW

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/10/29/andy-rubin-talks-about-the-lack-of-lte-in-the-lg-nexus-4/

Why doesn’t the Nexus 4 have LTE support? According to Andy Rubin, there are a number of reasons, most of which they learned after releasing the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon with LTE.

“We certainly have a desire to offer devices on every carrier on the planet,” Rubin said. “The tactical issue is GSM vs. LTE. A lot of the networks that have deployed LTE haven’t scaled completely yet — they’re hybrid networks. They’ll do their old thing and they’ll do LTE, which means the devices need both radios built into them.”

“For now we’re gonna sit back and watch those networks evolve. Two radios in a device right now certainly raises the cost, and diminishes battery life.” This point seems to frustrate him. “When we did the Galaxy Nexus with LTE we had to do just that, and it just wasn’t a great user experience. It’s possible to do it right, but that’s not where we’ll put our resources initially. Tactically, we want to make sure the devices are available for every network on the planet.”

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/10/29/andy-rubin-talks-about-the-lack-of-lte-in-the-lg-nexus-4/

Why doesn’t the Nexus 4 have LTE support? According to Andy Rubin, there are a number of reasons, most of which they learned after releasing the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon with LTE.

“We certainly have a desire to offer devices on every carrier on the planet,” Rubin said. “The tactical issue is GSM vs. LTE. A lot of the networks that have deployed LTE haven’t scaled completely yet — they’re hybrid networks. They’ll do their old thing and they’ll do LTE, which means the devices need both radios built into them.”

“For now we’re gonna sit back and watch those networks evolve. Two radios in a device right now certainly raises the cost, and diminishes battery life.” This point seems to frustrate him. “When we did the Galaxy Nexus with LTE we had to do just that, and it just wasn’t a great user experience. It’s possible to do it right, but that’s not where we’ll put our resources initially. Tactically, we want to make sure the devices are available for every network on the planet.”

I agree with him but also don't like it :p I love the current LTE speeds with my unlimited data plan....

It'll be made available in both 8GB and 16GB

500px-HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

Screw Google and Apple and their crappy cloud services. I'll be interested when they announce a phone with support for 128GB microSDs. Maybe the Galaxy S4? One can only hope. I'm itching to dump my 160GB iPod classic and put my music collection in my phone. One less device to carry around.

I find it funny android has had the honor of having LTE and apple doesn't

*pokes iphone 4s say hey want to hit this opens tether to 4g unlimited*

Now apple thinks lte is ready for them and now the NEXUS isn't going to have it... WAY TO DROP THE BALL LG hope the 2g/2.5g/3g radio works out for you.

the lack of LTE was a google decision, not an LG one. It was for battery purposes, as well as compatibility world wide (as stated in the verge article)

To me I am fine with HSPA+. I had Verizon's LTE, and never used it on my Nexus due to poor battery life. But even so, I have zero use for 40mb/downloads. 90% of the time my phone is connected to my Home or Office WiFi, only time I am away from WiFi is in the car or outside somewhere.

Why would I need 40mb/download speeds ? I don't watch movies on my phone :rolleyes: That's what my 65" Plasma HDTV is for. If I have a big file to download, I do it over WiFi.

Plus HSPA+ is more usable in everyday life, I think a super fast 3G speed like HSPA+ is more useful, for faster webpage loading and YouTube videos, etc..To me LTE is overkill for that. Plus HSPA+ allows both voice + data at the same time.

16GB Nexus 4 + T-Mobile $30 prepaid plan with 5GB data - best value in mobile phones by far.

I guess Google has given up on the US market after the terrible experience with CDMA carriers (I'm looking at you, Verizon), and with the Nexus 4 there should be no delays for updates.

Screw Google and Apple and their crappy cloud services. I'll be interested when they announce a phone with support for 128GB microSDs. Maybe the Galaxy S4? One can only hope. I'm itching to dump my 160GB iPod classic and put my music collection in my phone. One less device to carry around.

I had the Verizon Nexus w/32gb and currently have 5.3GB used 23GB free, been that way pretty much the same for all of 10 months. I have a few ROM's on sd/storage card, and misc themes, and apps, that's all I need it for. So for me the 16GB Nexus 4 is plenty. I guess if I watched movies or listened to music on my cell phone, higher storage would be needed, but I don't use my cell phone for that stuff. And I don't use the cloud, nor do I plan too.

wish there was a release date so I could go ahead and figure out what day to put my Gnex on ebay. Day the auction ends is the day my Nexus4 arrives

Those prices are insane for both the Nexus 4 and 10. Yeah, the 4 lacks LTE and decent amount of storage, but a phone with those specs would have to run at least twice that price normally. Too bad it doesn't seem like CDMA carriers will be getting the Nexus this time around though. I'm still happy with my Verizon Gnex as long as it stays updated for the next year or so (which I don't see why it wouldn't be). I might jump to the Note 2 though if I can handle the size of it.

The Nexus 10 is even more amazing for the price though :eek:! That display alone could easily demand a much higher price than $400-$500 considering 27"+ monitors alone of that same resolution usually go for around twice that. Plus the never before seen Exynos 5250 (A15 + Mali T604 GPU) is insane, but I'm sure it was pretty much required to drive that crazy resolution. It's going to be a good Christmas this year :cool:.

16GB Nexus 4 + T-Mobile $30 prepaid plan with 5GB data - best value in mobile phones by far.

I guess Google has given up on the US market after the terrible experience with CDMA carriers (I'm looking at you, Verizon), and with the Nexus 4 there should be no delays for updates.

So the one phone T-Mobile U.S. does not offer is the iPhone, Now the new Nexus 4 is only officially being sold through one U.S. carrier = T-Mobile U.S.

Pretty funny of Google, choosing the only non iPhone carrier in the U.S to sell the new Nexus 4.

To me, the best option for the Nexus phones is Straight Talk.

I wonder if Google is taking a loss on the hardware or breaking even. Just shows how overpriced most other handsets are. This is next gen hardware (minus LTE) for almost 1/2 the price of what carriers charge today.

Not really impressed with the Nexus 4... a shame because I really wanted to like it with it's thin appearance and glass back. But the non-removable battery combined with the usual lack of a MicroSD slot just breaks the camel's back for me... I'll stick with my Galaxy Nexus.

The Nexus 10 however.... holy sexy tablet Batman!

I wonder if Google is taking a loss on the hardware or breaking even. Just shows how overpriced most other handsets are. This is next gen hardware (minus LTE) for almost 1/2 the price of what carriers charge today.

I think they are, but they don't care because Google was built around selling ads. If this gets more people to buy into Google's ecosystem, it's worth it for them in the long run.

To me, the best option for the Nexus phones is Straight Talk.

Unless you use a lot of data. T-Mobile bring your own sim plans are better for data hogs.

Anyway, I'm warming up to this phone due to the lower than expected price. I have to weigh giving up local storage for better software support. I am interested though.

Unless you use a lot of data. T-Mobile bring your own sim plans are better for data hogs.

Anyway, I'm warming up to this phone due to the lower than expected price. I have to weigh giving up local storage for better software support. I am interested though.

Good point, the T-Mobile plans are also sweet for this unlocked phone. Nice to have options.

I really wanted a 32 gb version but someone here gave me a great idea. If this phone supports usb host I will mod a mod a micro SD card into a case for it. Gives me something to tinker with.

the lack of LTE was a google decision, not an LG one. It was for battery purposes, as well as compatibility world wide (as stated in the verge article)

It's not even just battery and global use. Verizon and Sprint simply got in the way. Google wants to push updates as it please. Verizon and Sprint don't allow it. Plain and simple. Verizon and Sprint have screwed their users. This tells me that my GNex will have to last until my contract is up. If no new Nexus device is out for LTE at that point I'll tell Verizon to fuck off.

It's not even just battery and global use. Verizon and Sprint simply got in the way. Google wants to push updates as it please. Verizon and Sprint don't allow it. Plain and simple. Verizon and Sprint have screwed their users. This tells me that my GNex will have to last until my contract is up. If no new Nexus device is out for LTE at that point I'll tell Verizon to fuck off.

I am giving Verizon the middle finger next month. Two new Nexus 4's on Straight Talk here I come. Will sell my current Verizon Nexus's on Craigslist. GSM is the way to go, it is more worldwide and widely used, more support, etc...

Verizon sucks balls if you are a newer user on a personal plan. MAJOR rip off. Verizon is only good if your corporate company pays your bill, or if you have some old school killer grandfathered contract, otherwise FUK OFF Verizon. And Sprint LOL, I had them before, wow their network really sucks, feel sorry for people still on Sprint. Dropped calls, super slow 3G, Sprint is by far the worst of the big 4 U.S. carriers.

Back