LG and Google announce the Nexus 4

A lot of sites are back to selling the Nexus 4.

If you want to buy from Google Play Store, The 8GB version is in stock.

Now the question is: does one wait to see if there is a White version gets released?

Now the question is: does one wait to see if there is a White version gets released?

I need to see more pics first. Some phones look great in White, others look cheesy. The iPhone 4 / 4S, HTC One X, Samsung Galaxy phones look very good in White.

I've been using a Diztronic TPU case as a temp solution and it is protecting it well but it hides the sparkly back and will interfere with my screen protector. There were way too many people complaining about the Poetic bumpers falling apart after only a week of use on Amazon (average 3 star rating).

apparently the early batch of those had a defect. the new ones have been remedied.

you're canadian. how can you betray a canadian company like that?
where's the loyalty?

Yeah I know. Worse part is, I actually WANT them to succeed, but I'm not helping things.

Honestly, if they just gave up their OS and went android, things would be so much better. There is not enough apps for Blackberry and they are fairly limited compared to what else is out there.

So I ordered 2x 16 GB versions Wednesday night and google 2nd day aired them to me (to hawaii), is this something they are doing to make up for their past mishaps?

I've been hearing a lot of people getting theirs right away. I'm jelly. :( I can guarantee I'll be waiting at least the full 2 weeks.

apparently the early batch of those had a defect. the new ones have been remedied.

So I heard but, I'd rather pay the ~15 dollar premium (includes ship and tax) for the better quality and official LG bumper and not have to deal with taking chances on old stock and waiting for replacements. I am sure Poetic made a killing by offering their bumper at a time when there wasn't much stock elsewhere but at this point if I were trying to save money I'd rather buy those OEM replicas (Shenit).

I've been hearing a lot of people getting theirs right away. I'm jelly. :( I can guarantee I'll be waiting at least the full 2 weeks.

Yeah same here. As many of us have learned in the past, the software giant apparently doesn't follow FIFO (First In First Out) scheduling and uses their own "internal" way of deciding whose orders get shipped first. Could be worse like in November but just saying they need to fix that.

Last edited:
Maybe it was just coincidence but I opened a chat with CSR to inquire about my order and changing it/cancelling (was trying to consolidate bumper and phone into 1 order since shipping for a stand alone bumper is over $10, and since the first order was taking awhile anyways). I also asked whether or not there was a payment issue to which they replied no. Closed the chat and placed a new order and few minutes later got shipping info for the first one.

Does anyone know if there is a chance to buy an OEM bumper other than the play store maybe in the future?

Does anyone know if there is a chance to buy an OEM bumper other than the play store maybe in the future?

Hmm.. Personally, with all the replicas floating out there from China I would not trust buying one anywhere but from Play if I needed it to be the original OEM...they've even replicated the official packaging and hologram mark on the back.

I was mainly hoping it would be offered elsewhere because stand alone shipping costs for it are rather higher high.

So I guess its mainly if I should get the bumper or not. If I get the bumper I need to wait another week (this was much faster than I expected) whereas my order without the bumper is scheduled for delivery end of this week. I guess if I don't like the bumper feel I can probably sell it locally for at least face value.

Shipping times are much faster now. I had a 2-3 week estimate which shipped today that I ordered last Friday.

By the way I'm wondering if I should do something like an image backup of the phone first thing?

Mine got shipped!

It's in North Bay, On right now. Only 4 hours away. Should hopefully get it tomorrow, which will be perfect since I'm off.

Tip for anyone wanting to port a number to the $30 tmobile prepaid plan: expect ~72 hours to complete the process.

Got my phone Monday and activated Tuesday. Still waiting for my #...

So I checked the tracking and it said "signed by Mailbox" Nice... lol. Well the good news is, it was in my mailbox and I have it now!

Waiting for it to acclimate to room temp before I turn it on (lot of condensation) but I can't wait to play with it!

Phone's been out, almost four months now. Will wait for the better Nexus-Five running Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie, announceing in May at Google I/O, rumored release in June.

Or the Goorola X phone = Google & Motorola teamed up finally, making a SuperPhone, running Android 5.0, a MAXX battery, but very thin phone, 5" screen, and released on all carriers in July, and also the Play Store.

Phone's been out, almost four months now. Will wait for the better Nexus-Five running Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie, announceing in May at Google I/O, rumored release in June.

Or the Goorola X phone = Google & Motorola teamed up finally, making a SuperPhone, running Android 5.0, a MAXX battery, but very thin phone, 5" screen, and released on all carriers in July, and also the Play Store.
That is honestly every die hard Android fan's wet dream right now which makes me doubt that's the way it's going to be more and more with each passing day

That is honestly every die hard Android fan's wet dream right now which makes me doubt that's the way it's going to be more and more with each passing day

LOL, yes I agree.

I know both these companies combined together, could create a SuperPhone, but will they ? Maybe they worried will piss off Samsung, HTC, LG, and Sony if they create the best phone ever this year ? because it will be done in house by Google, not a third party sub contractor, and could show, they could become like Apple, with their own in house developed phone like the iPhone is ?

But the possibilities, with Motorola having their next gen MAXX battery in a thin case, running the newest and greatest version of Android, and the great radios Motorola is known for.

A lot of people here still doesn't trust LG. Here's a review on LG's display (link). Now I don't know if I could say that because LG's display unit is committed to fixing their mistakes so therefore it is likely LG's mobile unit is too. But I can say that I'm trusting LG's brand more and more.

Go LG. Thanks for being Samsuck's competition. (I'm just really disappointed on the low color accuracy displays Samsung is shoving down our throats.)

My new, two day old Nexus 4, running Xylon ROM 4.2.2 and Matrix kernel v7.0. Plus the killer new app "Greenify *ROOT*" , helps certain apps hibernate. Battery life, so far is pretty darn good on this phone, blows away my old Verizon Galaxy Nexus. We shall see what a workday ahead brings.

Screenshot_2013-02-24-23-36-51_zps54c6659b.png

Screenshot_2013-02-24-23-37-02_zpsc7378145.png

Today my fifth full day with my new Nexus 4, like I said been getting pretty darn good battery life each day, around 15 hours total battery life and 5h On Screen time.

Well was surprised to see the red alert battery life go off at 5:00pm today, unplugged off the charge at 7:00am. This was the first time the battery light went off so early in the day, the past four days, it was good until 10:00pm.

I know I used the phone a crazy amount today, was on it non stop, tons of phone calls, million texts, lots of e-mails, and surf the web quite a bit today too. I checked the usage just now, and my On Screen time was at 5h 30m already :eek: Total time off charger 10h 20m.

So basically the Nexus 4 for me, tops out around a little more than 5h On Screen time, before going to red alert. That is still much better than my previous Galaxy Nexus, and little better than my old international HTC One X. Not too bad to get 10.5 hours total usage on a very heavy workday.

Today my fifth full day with my new Nexus 4, like I said been getting pretty darn good battery life each day, around 15 hours total battery life and 5h On Screen time.

Well was surprised to see the red alert battery life go off at 5:00pm today, unplugged off the charge at 7:00am. This was the first time the battery light went off so early in the day, the past four days, it was good until 10:00pm.

I know I used the phone a crazy amount today, was on it non stop, tons of phone calls, million texts, lots of e-mails, and surf the web quite a bit today too. I checked the usage just now, and my On Screen time was at 5h 30m already :eek: Total time off charger 10h 20m.

So basically the Nexus 4 for me, tops out around a little more than 5h On Screen time, before going to red alert. That is still much better than my previous Galaxy Nexus, and little better than my old international HTC One X. Not too bad to get 10.5 hours total usage on a very heavy workday.

Thanks for the update. Still thinking of picking one of these up. Nice to hear about reasonable battery life.

I know there are betting thigns coming, but if I went Andoid, it would have to be a Nexus for me to see if I like the platform. Plus I am on an ATT family plan, so some limited selection if I go through my carrier.

Any comment on any bluetooth issues? Specifically intersted in any issues connecting to a cars BT. Seems hit or miss (more miss than hit, but I have read a number of complaints regarding calls). Not as concered with streatming BT info.

Also interested to know which provider you are on if you dont mind...

Keep us posted, you have at least one interested party.

Thanks

Thanks for the update. Still thinking of picking one of these up. Nice to hear about reasonable battery life.

I know there are betting thigns coming, but if I went Andoid, it would have to be a Nexus for me to see if I like the platform. Plus I am on an ATT family plan, so some limited selection if I go through my carrier.

Any comment on any bluetooth issues? Specifically intersted in any issues connecting to a cars BT. Seems hit or miss (more miss than hit, but I have read a number of complaints regarding calls). Not as concered with streatming BT info.

Also interested to know which provider you are on if you dont mind...

Keep us posted, you have at least one interested party.

Thanks

My 2011 Ford F-150 connects rock solid to this phone, no issues on Bluetooth phone calls through the Sync system, and I am running a custom ROM too.

My Note 2 I had for three weeks, then sold due to crazy big size, had issues with Bluetooth audio, my Nexus 4 does not.

I am on Straight Talk AT&T. Download speeds on HSPA+ aren't bad, plenty fast for me, it's just a cell phone, not my desktop gaming rig. Plus I am around WiFi at home and the Office, so get great speeds there too.

Only other phone I am looking at is the LG Nexus-Five 5" 1080p screen, due out November 12th, running Android 5.0 "Liquorice" :)

Are you running stock or rooted running custom rom/kernal?

Think I may have converted an iPhone 5 guy to the Nexus 4 :D

New client meeting today, he had an iPhone 5, I asked how he liked it, he said he likes it, blah blah blah, said he almost got the Galaxy S3 but didn't like the design, and heard battery life was bad on Android compared to iPhone 5.

I then pulled out my Nexus 4, he said, whoa, whats that ? That's not Samsung, what phone is that ? I told him the new Nexus, he said wow, nice screen, he wanted to hold it, he said this is very nice, I like the widgets, and the size feels just right, and he said very sharp looking display ( which I have calibrated with custom kernel )

We talked battery life, he said he gets around 14 - 18 hours or so per workday, I said I get the exact same with this Nexus 4, and 5h On Screen time, he said that's a bit better than his iPhone 5. He thought Android phones only got like 8 - 10 hours total battery life. I said nope, not on the newer high end Androids.

Then I told him the price and that I am Straight Talk AT&T for $45/Month, he wanted all the info I could give him :)

Think I may have converted an iPhone 5 guy to the Nexus 4 :D

New client meeting today, he had an iPhone 5, I asked how he liked it, he said he likes it, blah blah blah, said he almost got the Galaxy S3 but didn't like the design, and heard battery life was bad on Android compared to iPhone 5.

I then pulled out my Nexus 4, he said, whoa, whats that ? That's not Samsung, what phone is that ? I told him the new Nexus, he said wow, nice screen, he wanted to hold it, he said this is very nice, I like the widgets, and the size feels just right, and he said very sharp looking display ( which I have calibrated with custom kernel )

We talked battery life, he said he gets around 14 - 18 hours or so per workday, I said I get the exact same with this Nexus 4, and 5h On Screen time, he said that's a bit better than his iPhone 5. He thought Android phones only got like 8 - 10 hours total battery life. I said nope, not on the newer high end Androids.

Then I told him the price and that I am Straight Talk AT&T for $45/Month, he wanted all the info I could give him :)
Just one? Just kidding! Thank you for showing him the light.

I stopped count on how many people I converted around a dozen. Although four of them did switch back to an i-device. Still... I think I converted between somewhere 18 and 24 (counting those four). I also converted 3 to Windows Phone devices. Just always preaching against Apple products!

I am loving my nexus 4 - first cell phone I have had since 2007. It is easy to use and I feel a lotmore comfortable with a goole phone running google software than anything else. At the end of the day I just don't care to screw around with customizing my phone rom etc. Funny when I was younger I would do it all day/night but now after working in IT all day I am getting where I don't want to screw with stuff at home lol.

Nexus 4 has pretty good battery life overall, without having a MAXX sized battery.

I had the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, that thing was the worst on battery, almost as bad as the famous EVO 4G, which sucked on battery life. I had the Verizon Nexus, and even with 4G / LTE off 90% of the time, it still was horrible on battery running 3G. But I heard the GSM Nexus was substantially better. My Nexus 4 gives me roughly 5h On Screen time. And total battery life anywhere from 11 - 12 hours on a very busy work day, up to 16 - 18 hours on lighter days. My Verizon Nexus never once lasted that long.

And that brings me up to, how can the iPhone 5 with a measly 1450mAh sized battery last as long if not longer than the Nexus 4 with a 2100mAh battery ? That's a 50% difference in battery szie, and the iPhone 5 lasts a bit longer. It takes massive beast sized batteries like Motorola's MAXX with a 3300mAh sized battery, or the Galaxy Note 2 with 3100mAh battery to make the phone last a solid 24+ hours.

Imagine the iPhone 5 with a 3100mAh battery, thing would last 36 - 48 hours easily. Wouldn't you rather have a thicker iPhone 5, same thickness as the 4S, but with a battery twice the size like 2800mAh or so, thing would last forever. Who cares about thickness on phones, at the cost of battery life. The iPhone 4S and current Android phones, all around that same thickness of 9mm is plenty thin enough, just pack in those MAXX batteries already.

Why is this phone still selling used for ~$80 more then what you can buy it from Google for?

Nexus 4 has pretty good battery life overall, without having a MAXX sized battery.

I had the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, that thing was the worst on battery, almost as bad as the famous EVO 4G, which sucked on battery life. I had the Verizon Nexus, and even with 4G / LTE off 90% of the time, it still was horrible on battery running 3G. But I heard the GSM Nexus was substantially better. My Nexus 4 gives me roughly 5h On Screen time. And total battery life anywhere from 11 - 12 hours on a very busy work day, up to 16 - 18 hours on lighter days. My Verizon Nexus never once lasted that long.

And that brings me up to, how can the iPhone 5 with a measly 1450mAh sized battery last as long if not longer than the Nexus 4 with a 2100mAh battery ? That's a 50% difference in battery szie, and the iPhone 5 lasts a bit longer. It takes massive beast sized batteries like Motorola's MAXX with a 3300mAh sized battery, or the Galaxy Note 2 with 3100mAh battery to make the phone last a solid 24+ hours.

Imagine the iPhone 5 with a 3100mAh battery, thing would last 36 - 48 hours easily. Wouldn't you rather have a thicker iPhone 5, same thickness as the 4S, but with a battery twice the size like 2800mAh or so, thing would last forever. Who cares about thickness on phones, at the cost of battery life. The iPhone 4S and current Android phones, all around that same thickness of 9mm is plenty thin enough, just pack in those MAXX batteries already.
The iPhone screen is quite a bit smaller. Assuming they have the same aspect ratios; 4in^2 = 16, 4.7in^2 = 22.09
22.09/16 x 100 = 138 ish.

So the Nexus 4 has (with my pathetic sloppy maths) about 40% greater screen area display to power. Also, Apple designs their software and hardware hand in hand so they can do a lot of low level optimisation to maximise power usage.

Why is this phone still selling used for ~$80 more then what you can buy it from Google for?

One factor is that the playstore price does not include shipping and taxes.

For example the actual cost of a 16gb Nexus 4 for me was $420 due to taxes and shipping. The local craigslist listings at the moment seem to be $420 and lower for brand new in box versions but higher than the $360 playstore price (It is $10 more for Canada).

Personally if the Nexus 4 performs better in the used market it is a plus to me since I'm already planning around selling to buy the next version :p

As one poster above me said, 40% more screen to power. In addition to that, the iPhone has a significantly smaller CPU, and I believe 1/4th the RAM. RAM is always powered, so that right their is a significant drain.

Android is also more loose on background app restrictions, which can drain battery but also enables all kinds of cool things.

Back