LG 55ea9800

wizzi01

Supreme [H]ardness
Not sure if this is a pricing error or not. The Microcenter in Sterling Heights. Mi had this for 1999.99.

Last edited:
not bad price at all. Looks to be around 3k in online sales (with shipping). Might be older models that weren't moving.

Ive seen the set in person and the contract and picture are A M A Z I N G.

I've noticed this with MC as well: they don't seem to like to sit on dated inventory and would often rather blow it out at a huge discount than have it taking up space, especially with TVs.

I bought this TV this weekend (we dont have micro center but had a price match locally) and its fantastic. While there is ANOTHER model the 55EC9300, this TV has better colors (panel is not as good). This is the steal of the decade.

Holy crap I wish my TV room didn't need 65"+. I'd take this over a 4K LCD any day of the week.

I bought this TV this weekend (we dont have micro center but had a price match locally) and its fantastic. While there is ANOTHER model the 55EC9300, this TV has better colors (panel is not as good). This is the steal of the decade.

I've heard people say the EC9300 is better... Though probably not $1500 dollars better. :) Like you said, it's a steal.

I hope they make non-curved versions of the oled displays. The curved screen makes viewing off-angle weird as shit.

If anything, this makes me think the Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals are going to be insane.

Holy crap I wish my TV room didn't need 65"+. I'd take this over a 4K LCD any day of the week.

Agreed. After seeing OLED in person, it made a bigger impact on me than the first time I saw 4k. Hell maybe even bigger than the jump from 480 to 720.

Great deal, but those clear speakers and lower bezel are ugly as hell. This time next year I'm hoping we'll see similar prices but with 4k models.

would rather have the same thing in a flat version to mount on my wall

Are curved TVs worth it or just a gimmick like 3D? Also, I would not buy a 1080P TV at this time when 2160p (aka 4K) TVs are just around the corner. The movie companies are pushing 4K TVs in hopes of making it harder to bitrorrent and sell burned movies. A 2 hour Bluray movie is 15-25GB. A 2 hour 4K movie is 100GB plus!

Curved screens are probably another gimmick. It's initially impressive like 3d but has drawbacks like decreased viewing angles and distortion when viewed from a distance.

I can tell you from experience since I have one of these. The screen is VERY reflective and I have a well let living room with a wall of windows... but the curve in some way stops them from being an issue.. Cant really explain it, but it does seem to have a purpose. My previous flat TV sometimes during the day i couldnt even make out what was on the screen.. That has been fixed by this curve.

And know that this tv has a small curve... not like the 4k samsungs you see in the store, its very slight.

I can tell you from experience since I have one of these. The screen is VERY reflective and I have a well let living room with a wall of windows... but the curve in some way stops them from being an issue.. Cant really explain it, but it does seem to have a purpose. My previous flat TV sometimes during the day i couldnt even make out what was on the screen.. That has been fixed by this curve.

And know that this tv has a small curve... not like the 4k samsungs you see in the store, its very slight.

I noticed that as well with my LG 55EA9800. It also helps to make sure the TV isn't in eco mode. If you go under the Smart Button and go into settings. Under picture Mode make sure its off Eco mode and turn on Vivid and it all buts eliminates any screen glare from light sources. I know the LG OLED takes an additional 30-40 watts when you turn off eco mode and are on vivid setting as my Cyberpower UPS. With the TV on and my Dish Hopper along with my Denon X4000 with my Klipsch reference setup (top Klipsch Reference system) my system takes only 230-275 watts. When watching a movie and the sub starts to hit it jumps up about 100-200 watts more. Very efficient tv and the contrast is amazing.

I was in my local MC Friday afternoon to pick up some HP LCDs and they had 5 or 6 of these new in the box..Very tempting but I told myself I have no need to drop ~2K= on a new TV until 4K OLED is out and at a consumer friendly price.

Well this deal isn't for you then.

Well played...

My point being that if you buy a good quality 4K, then upscaling factors in. Laugh at that statement if you want, but it's true. I have a 65 inch Samsung 4K and previous content that I've watched on 1080p looks incredible. Sports? Holy Crap! I realize 65 is larger than 55, but depending on the size of the room and viewing distance, they can be compared. Perhaps there isn't a good 4K deal out there that gives you everything this does plus the resolution, but it's right around the corner. Either way, 2k for a 1080p seems like too much...jmo

Last edited:
Well played...

My point being that if you buy a good quality 4K, then upscaling factors in. Laugh at that statement if you want, but it's true. I have a 65 inch Samsung 4K and previous content that I've watched on 1080p looks incredible. Sports? Holy Crap! I realize 65 is larger than 55, but depending on the size of the room and viewing distance, they can be compared. Perhaps there isn't a good 4K deal out there that gives you everything this does plus the resolution, but it's right around the corner. Either way, 2k for a 1080p seems like too much...jmo

Yeah I know what you are saying. I will probably end up with a 4k display one I get money. However, I thought this was a hell of a deal. At the time of posting the next cheapest place had it for $3100.

Well played...

Have you ever seen an AMOLED display..? Not sure of the differences between Samsung's SAMOLED (on their phones) and this OLED TV, but the contrast and colors on one are amazing compared to any LCD. It's the one thing I miss from my old Note 2 on my newer One M8. I would take 1080p OLED over 4K any day on a big TV as I think it's much more noticeable even at further distances.

If anything, this makes me think the Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals are going to be insane.

SSDs and 4K TVs are going to be great this year. Maybe some good deals on the great Samsung plasmas as they shut down. The main problem with this is that its curved which is annoying.

I think people would be better served, for themselves and for their families just getting a good 70" LED TV for $999 on Black Friday and then waiting and getting one of these 4K Seiki Pro Monitors that are coming out soon.

4K TV right now unless you can get huge for around $1200 ~ $1500 doesn't make sense, at least to me

Well played...

I bought a 70" 4k vizio, 1080p content looks no different than on a 1080p tv (some 4k tv's actually hurt 1080p content). I spent literally hours upon hours of time at best buy and costco with my mac playing bluray rips on all the tvs I was looking at. LG 4k tvs are crap in comparison to the Samsungs and Vizio 70" (their scalers seemed to make stuff really blurry), the samsungs and the vizio 70" have fairly similar picture quality. The only benefit to 4k tv over 1080p tv for 1080p content is at large sizes you can't make out the pixels. Maybe this is what you mean by looks incredible, but there are no added details. The only benefit I saw was that you can't make out individual pixels.

You obviously have never seen an oled tv. I spent about 3 hours playing with the newer lg model at best buy. The blacks were amazing, you can see so many more details in dark movies compared to any lcd tv. I'd get one but I don't really trust lg as I have played with two oled tvs and each one had different defects. One added a bunch of grain to the picture and another didn't have the grain but was artifacting everywhere (all image processing options were turn off to rule them out).
4K TV right now unless you can get huge for around $1200 ~ $1500 doesn't make sense, at least to me
I got a 70" 4k specifically because every tv at 70"+ has ginormous pixels that you can pick out the pixels and a 4k 70" doesn't.

Back