LG 48CX

My hdmi ports stopped working at some point when I was messing with eARC. They didn’t start working again until I unplugged from the wall and plugged back in. It might be worth a shot…
Tried that, then a few other cables.

Some good news is the store (Currys) is picking it up to repair tomorrow, aiming to return within a week. I've a feeling this will need a replacement.

Has anyone here disabled the ABL?
Is it risky?

Just wondering about it, because the Aorus FV43U I have makes bright HDR games like Horizon Zero Dawn look really good where as on my CX48 it look quiet dimm in comparison?

Is it risky?

Just wondering about it, because the Aorus FV43U I have makes bright HDR games like Horizon Zero Dawn look really good where as on my CX48 it look quiet dimm in comparison?

I have not disabled ABL or ASBL. I've played all through and completed both jedi:fallen order and nioh2 which both have HDR and I haven't had any problems with dimness. They looked incredible. I didn't use reshade on either of those games when I played them incidentally but reshade is supposed to work with most HDR games.

I'm still playing through darksiders 3 at the moment which removed it's HDR support at some point due to the devs not being happy with how it turned out (washed out) I guess. I tweaked Darksider 3's SDR with Reshade in a few profiles using FakeHDR filter, Lightroom filter (editing contrast, gamma, saturation curves,middle blacks curve, etc.) and a sharpening filter... I also turned the color setting up on game picture mode on the LG CX OSD to 70 or so (though I tweaked it down slightly in the Reshade Lightroom filter). Though not like the other two HDR games I played, Darksiders3 still looks pretty brilliant in SDR with my settings. High contrast, bright colors nicely saturated... ultra dark blacks while still getting decent detail in shadows along with a nice sharpness/detail rendered look~effect.

I also just recently bought Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and Immortals: Fenyx Rising on some really good sale prices. They both have very good HDR implementations from what I've read on sites and seen on youtube HDR videos. However I haven't played them yet. I want to plug on through darksiders 3 first. I'm about to kill the 5th boss (
actually a 2 boss fight with the additional boss in the 2 on 1 being a heavy hitter even without being a "sin" boss
) out of I think 7 to 9 main boss fights along with several mini bosses/harder-than-regular enemies. I think I actually skipped one boss unintentionally so I probably have to circle back to that area using a fast travel/level loading feature called "serpent holes". I'll be on the game awhile longer yet due to the amount of time I play and that I'm playing on apocalyptic difficulty but I should be able to knock out the 5th and 6th bosses within a few days. I'll report back about the other two game's HDR when I get to them someday.

Regarding Horizon Zero Dawn, I haven't played that in HDR. I played it a long time ago in SDR on my ps4 on a VA FALD TV.
Make sure this isn't the issue between your two screens:
<from a youtube horizon zero dawn HDR video in comments:>
Since this is an old HDR game without peak brightness controls, the “correct” setting would be to set DTM to off. The reason highlights on HGIG pop is because all detail near 750nits and above is clipped & displayed at max brightness. DTM on is basically just vivid mode for HDR, but defeats the dynamic range (arguably the whole point) of HDR.

So your settings could be way different on your two different screens. I haven't played that game in HDR or on PC HDR since I don't own it on pc. The two games I've played in HDR so far looked amazing and I have two more to play in the future that are supposed to have amazing HDR too. If you find that your Aorus FV43U is using HGIG/DTM and blowing out the brightness/highlights on Horizon in a "vivid" mode, but you like that look - you could always try turning on Dynamic Tone Mapping on the LG CX. You could also mess with the HDR brightness and HDR whitepoint in the game's menus to make it more contrasted and brighter when playing on the CX. That or you could see if Reshade works with that game in HDR to give you more control instead of using DTM, which is what I would try. I don't like using Dynamic Tone Mapping's guesswork. HDR and the TV has it's own static tone mapping.

Last edited:
Is it risky?

You can't disable ABL afaik. You can disable ASBL though but that only affects the dimming that happens when there is static content on screen. I've disabled that and so far no issues in desktop use.

Like elvn I haven't had issues with dimness at all and I even have a Samsung CRG9 or KS8000 capable of 1000 nits with terrible local dimming to compare against and to me the OLED looked just way better in everything.

According to RTINGs you can sort of disable ABL by limiting the brightness settings but that is not compatible with HDR so yeah not applicable to what he's asking about.

From the Rtings C9 Review, regarding SDR settings concerning ABL:
"If ABL bothers you, setting the contrast to '80' and setting Peak Brightness to 'Off' essentially disables ABL, but the peak brightness is quite a bit lower (246-258 cd/m² in all scenes)."

According to RTINGs you can sort of disable ABL by limiting the brightness settings but that is not compatible with HDR so yeah not applicable to what he's asking about.

From the Rtings C9 Review, regarding SDR settings concerning ABL:
"If ABL bothers you, setting the contrast to '80' and setting Peak Brightness to 'Off' essentially disables ABL, but the peak brightness is quite a bit lower (246-258 cd/m² in all scenes)."
All that's really doing is turning "Automatic Brightness Limiter" to "Always Brightness Limiter", heh.

Is it risky?

I've had mine disabled since launch. Do yourself a favor and do it. No problems at all. It's the best thing you can do if you own a CX48.

I've had mine disabled since launch. Do yourself a favor and do it. No problems at all. It's the best thing you can do if you own a CX48.

Did you actually disable ABL or did you disable ASBL because they are not the same thing. ASBL is disabled from the service menu while ABL cannot be disabled as far as I know.

Well, I sent my screen back for repair, and I'm desperately missing it! 4K is great, but 120Hz and OLED is a huge upgrade. Back on a Dell 23" IPS 1440p 60hz and it feels... bad.

Once you go big OLED, you can't go back lol....
Why did you have to send your set in?

I didn't disable ASBL or any protections and it doesn't bother me at all. Usually the only time it turns on is if I'm paged off of a game for too long using another screen and forgot to hit cog wheel + "turn off the screen" (or hold the mic and say "turn off the screen) in order to sort of minimize the oled by turning off the emitters. I like how ASBL works and don't find it annoying at all.. I use my OLED as a gaming and multimedia stage display and leave it bright enough to view videos and slideshows even outside of game mode. I don't use the OLED for desktop/apps so with my usage scenario it doesn't bother me at all and is actually comforting to have that safety feature active. If I was doing desktop/app stuff on the OLED it might be a different story.

Well, I sent my screen back for repair, and I'm desperately missing it! 4K is great, but 120Hz and OLED is a huge upgrade. Back on a Dell 23" IPS 1440p 60hz and it feels... bad.

Once you go big OLED, you can't go back lol....

I use a 43" samsung nu6900 4k VA TV on each side that isn't even FALD and they look good to me. Their contrast levels are way higher than a non-fald IPS can do though (6107:1 according to RTINGS). Most ips are like 900:1 to 1100:1 with accompanying poor black depths unless they are FALD. The samsung 4k's would be crap for gaming since they are limited by 60hz , no vrr, 7.7 to 16.2 response time, 22ms(game mode) to 37ms input lag (outside of game mode), and they aren't even "real" HDR (320nit peak) and have no FALD for movies so still no comparison but they pair quite nicely with the OLED with their relatively high contrast ratio and deep blacks, vibrant and accurate colors (per RTINGS: "impressive out of the box color" , and "remarkable color accuracy" post calibration) and 43" 4k's PPD as desktop/app screen space.

With Battlefield 2042 just announced, I decided to go back and play BF4 on my CX for old-times sake.

It actually feels BETTER than I remember it. It is unbelievably fast and clear, especially at 4K120. I know the CX is not for competitive FPS players, but I am way out of practice, and I am still getting positive KDR + top 5 rankings each round. It feels like the CX is part of that competitive edge. I'm sure it doesn't hurt that I can see extremely far into the distance at 4K.

This thing can 100% stand toe-to-toe with the best gaming monitors out there.

Well just got rid of the Aorus FV43U and will be sticking with my CX48.

I cannot believe I wasted money on that Aorus to compare to the CX Oled, except for peak brightness the CX just totally shits all over the Aorus FV43U in image quality and response and motion.

Why did you have to send your set in?
"No signal" displayed at all times, i.e. all HDMI ports dead. The menus and internet TV were all working fine, just none of the inputs. I'm glad the shop has taken it back and are looking at a repair - I would prefer a replacement though, as I can never trust faulty electronics after a repair....

Have no fear - it's nothing related to disabling ASBL!

ASBL is now disabled on all inputs on your unit ! :inpain:

Good luck with getting back in action with it soon. (not sarcasm that time). 👍

48 CX is still $1250 at best buy. 5-yr Warranty comes out to $300 on that price, or $60/year "insurance".
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-48-...4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6416732.p?skuId=6416732

The 77" CX is under 3k at $2999.99

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-77-...4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6401914.p?skuId=6401914

Also same at amazon and I think costco but their warranties don't reputably cover burn-in afaik. Best Buy charges around 20% of the list price so it's pretty expensive to get the warranty on a 77" at $600, or $120 a year.

Last edited:
ASBL is now disabled on all inputs on your unit ! :inpain:

Good luck with getting back in action with it soon. (not sarcasm that time). 👍
Thanks dude - I REALLY MISS IT! It's such a great screen.

Apparently it is coming back on Thursday which is really quick... I am suspicious, either a) it's not fixed, or b) it is fixed, or c) the store is just replacing it with a new model. I'm really hoping it's c)!

Thanks dude - I REALLY MISS IT! It's such a great screen.

Apparently it is coming back on Thursday which is really quick... I am suspicious, either a) it's not fixed, or b) it is fixed, or c) the store is just replacing it with a new model. I'm really hoping it's c)!
Good news - got my screen back and it's fully repaired!

Apparently a faulty mainboard, but they also replaced the OLED screen too, which surprised me as I thought it was fine.

Feels as good as new (but had to turn off ASBL again, so annoying lol)

can't wait for OLED to be so omnipresent that you can buy one of aliexpress for like $250.
remember the korean 1440p monitor days? haha good times..

Can anyone who still has the LG C1 box tell me if it has "TV" anywhere on it? And if its prominent

Do you even see the boxes for these TVs in stores or really anywhere until you buy one? They typically don't have boxes of TVs sitting in the stores unless it's some super cheap model at walmart. Usually they have a TV actually connected and on display and you have to ask someone to get you one.

Do you even see the boxes for these TVs in stores or really anywhere until you buy one? They typically don't have boxes of TVs sitting in the stores unless it's some super cheap model at walmart. Usually they have a TV actually connected and on display and you have to ask someone to get you one.
Best Buy had them sitting out on the floor when I was there a few weeks ago.

Any idea how to stop C1 (heard same with g1) from changing audio mode to "Game optimizer" on every reboot and hdr windows on/off activation ?!
I am dying having to switch audio profile multiple times a day as optimizer sounds terrible compared to cinema audio.

The only solution I've found is to disable vrr/gsync. So I am 99% sure, every time gpu driver refreshes, it gets redetected as gsync device and TV switches to game audio. every... fucking... time. Even on new software

Doom Eternal got the Ray Tracing/DLSS patch yesterday.

This means that Doom Eternal is now the poster child for the LG C9/CX/C1.
  • 120 hz
  • HDR
  • 10 - bit color
  • RGB
  • GSYNC
  • Ray Tracing
  • DLSS
  • Extremely Fast Gameplay
This is now the benchmark for the best gaming experience you can have on Doom Eternal.

Gonna get hate for this but the game never looked impressive fidelity wise and is why it performed so well.

I'll give the RT update a try. Wish they expanded it's features beyond reflections though.

Gonna get hate for this but the game never looked impressive fidelity wise and is why it performed so well.

I'll give the RT update a try. Wish they expanded it's features beyond reflections though.
I actually thought Doom (2016) looked better, but I think that's because the devs went for a more vivid look. I tend to agree; It's a good looking game, but it was never a great looking game IMO.

Doom is optimized well but it's also a corridor shooter mainly so it can get a higher frame rate than more expansive games. Even considering DLSS's fps boost, the nature of the game helps because RTX lowers fps. So it makes sense that it would be a good place to showcase framerate reducing technologies that increase eye candy.

tNOA4Mf.jpg

MxBenchmarkPC : Doom Eternal at 4K DLSS 2.1 Quality with RTX On and Ultra Nightmare settings on i7 10700F + RTX 3080

Last edited:
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/nvidia-dlss-may-soon-support-a-new-ultra-quality-mode/

from

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-preparing-ultra-quality-mode-for-dlss-2-2-9-0-version-spotted

https://twitter.com/Dachsjaeger/status/1410272673746370570

For those of you playing Doom Eternal on an NV GPU and using DLSS - I recommend finding thr latest 2.2 DLL file on the Web and using that with the game - in my experience it will offer better DLSS resolve with all the benefit that Version has.

Last edited:
I tried to read up on this thread as much as I could before I decided to buy a 48C1, but I gotta say I love it so far:
Not liking this Dell in portrait though, it is a VA panel and doesn't look so hot when vertical.

Attachments

• lg-48c1-oled.jpg
    lg-48c1-oled.jpg
    611.8 KB · Views: 0
I tried to read up on this thread as much as I could before I decided to buy a 48C1, but I gotta say I love it so far:
Not liking this Dell in portrait though, it is a VA panel and doesn't look so hot when vertical.
Throw away the dell and rearrange. That tv seems a bit far for 4k gaming.
GRATZ !!!!!!!

Reactions: Jake
like this
Throw away the dell and rearrange. That tv seems a bit far for 4k gaming.
GRATZ !!!!!!!
I need something in portrait for when I am working from home, don't have another choice right now.

The C1 is 36" away from me, near perfect for field of view. Am still tweaking windows/ui scaling for when not gaming, somethings are fine at 150% some not.

thanks guys, if the C1 is just a minor step from the CX I can see why this thread lasted so long.

Any immediate tricks or tips for using as a pure monitor? No sound, no switching, no apps.

thanks guys, if the C1 is just a minor step from the CX I can see why this thread lasted so long.

Any immediate tricks or tips for using as a pure monitor? No sound, no switching, no apps.
  • Keep display brightness as low as possible for longevity. (obviously, crank it up for HDR)
  • Set Screen Shift On
  • Set Logo Luminance Adjustment to Low.
  • Set Game Mode On (for fastest response)
  • On the Home Dashboard, set the HDMI port you have your PC plugged into as "PC" (it does change some settings).
  • Set you desktop background to flat black
  • Set a Screen Saver to 5 minutes.
  • Set Automatic Screen off (in Windows) to 1 hour or less.
  • Put a bucket under your mouth to catch the drool.

Adjust cleartype.

Also maybe set up the screen so that you can quickly turn off the screen via the remote while still having the actual TV electronics still powered on, probably ideally via an OSD shortcut since I'm guessing that you don't have your C1 set up for voice commands (which also requires an internet connection) if you're just using it as a monitor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jake
like this
Back