LG 48CX

I saw that the price went up in BB too, $1599. After cali tax this will be around $1750, for a 48"? No thanks.
For reference I paid $1981 shipped for my 65" C9 back in december.

I'm now in the wait for price to drop crowd.

Good luck to those ordering it! It's a fantastic monitor (and TV), no hesitation. I upgraded from a 40" Philips BDM4065UC. I'll repost my thoughts here that I posted elsewhere:

Sadly I don't think I can test VRR yet, my graphics card is a 1080 so I don't think it's supported. Plus I definitely won't be able to run many games at 120Hz, so I'm sticking to less demanding titles.

I had to play with a few settings before I got the setup right, notably turning on "Just Scan: On" to get 1-to-1 and avoid overscan.

The good:
+ Picture quality is excellent, it's consistent across the whole screen.
+ Brightness of the OLED is excellent for desktop use, lots of options to play with colour tone/motion etc. too.
+ Depth of blacks is excellent, you can see creases in the folds of black trousers (lol).
+ For TV use, it's fantastic. I'm also using an external Humax freeview box, and it upscales 1080p brilliantly, almost to the point you think it's 4K content.
+ Text is very clear, there is a faint glow around some text (for example, black on grey) but it's perfectly readable and I think I need to play with the contrast / sharpness settings to reduce it.
+ 120Hz is excellent for desktop use. For gaming, I've only tried it in Rocket League (as this is well optimised for my card) and the picture quality and frame-rate were magnificent. Looking forward to the 3xxx series Nvidia powering games on this beast.
+ Design of the screen is beautiful, it looks amazing from the front. No noticeable glare.

The bad:
- When an external device a device (TV or Freeview box) turns off, the TV does not automatically go into standby. It displays a stupid "No signal" message for a few minutes (not sure how long, haven't tested yet). This is quite irritating if you're expecting your screen to turn off.

Front shot, around 70cm away (where my eyes are when seated):
3SP1Htz.jpg

The ironic thing is that I would pay even more if they could make it smaller for me.

Same, I wouldn't pay much more, but a bit more for a 43".

When I priced out the TV with the stand I want, tax, and Best Buy protection, it came out to $2,100. A little too steep for something right now that I have reservations about (Black levels, VRR, etc.)

Hmmm...Trigger finger is itching. I'm still worried about this VRR/black level stuff though. Will wait for the early adopters to report more. I'm not sure how long LG takes with firmware updates, if they get done at all.

My 2017 B7 has received several. One was fairly recently! They get less and less frequent, but LG has a good history of supporting them and providing fixes. The 2016 models prior to my gen had pretty significant input lag at first, and LG issued a firmware update that drastically lowered it. I have high hopes that they will be working on CX firmware for some time, but it’s a little unfortunate that some of the minor issues that appear to affect the CX also affect the C9. My guess is that if/when they come up with a fix, it’ll drop to both TVs around the same time since they are so similar.

Good luck to those ordering it! It's a fantastic monitor (and TV), no hesitation. I upgraded from a 40" Philips BDM4065UC. I'll repost my thoughts here that I posted elsewhere:

Sadly I don't think I can test VRR yet, my graphics card is a 1080 so I don't think it's supported. Plus I definitely won't be able to run many games at 120Hz, so I'm sticking to less demanding titles.

I had to play with a few settings before I got the setup right, notably turning on "Just Scan: On" to get 1-to-1 and avoid overscan.

The good:
+ Picture quality is excellent, it's consistent across the whole screen.
+ Brightness of the OLED is excellent for desktop use, lots of options to play with colour tone/motion etc. too.
+ Depth of blacks is excellent, you can see creases in the folds of black trousers (lol).
+ For TV use, it's fantastic. I'm also using an external Humax freeview box, and it upscales 1080p brilliantly, almost to the point you think it's 4K content.
+ Text is very clear, there is a faint glow around some text (for example, black on grey) but it's perfectly readable and I think I need to play with the contrast / sharpness settings to reduce it.
+ 120Hz is excellent for desktop use. For gaming, I've only tried it in Rocket League (as this is well optimised for my card) and the picture quality and frame-rate were magnificent. Looking forward to the 3xxx series Nvidia powering games on this beast.
+ Design of the screen is beautiful, it looks amazing from the front. No noticeable glare.

The bad:
- When an external device a device (TV or Freeview box) turns off, the TV does not automatically go into standby. It displays a stupid "No signal" message for a few minutes (not sure how long, haven't tested yet). This is quite irritating if you're expecting your screen to turn off.

Front shot, around 70cm away (where my eyes are when seated):
View attachment 254981
If you don't mind me asking, what stand are you using? Is it the "PERLESMITH 37-55 inch Height Adjustable TV Base Stand with Tempered Glass Base" on Amazon?

Also, could you tell me how many inches is it from the wall to the top of the TV? And the height from the top of the table to the bottom of the TV?

Thanks! It looks great, btw!

The bad:

I think there is a setting for turning at least the no signal image off.

The bad:

I think your external device does not support CEC then. I'm using Apple TV 4K and when i turn it off, my C9 and AVR also turn off. Same way if i just turn off the TV, everything goes into standby, thanks to CEC.

If you don't mind me asking, what stand are you using? Is it the "PERLESMITH 37-55 inch Height Adjustable TV Base Stand with Tempered Glass Base" on Amazon?

Also, could you tell me how many inches is it from the wall to the top of the TV? And the height from the top of the table to the bottom of the TV?

Thanks! It looks great, btw!
It's this one, on Amazon UK:

FITUEYES Universal Table Top TV Stand Pedestal Bracket for 26" - 55" Screen 6 Levels Height Adjustable Cable Management Holds 40kgs Glass Base Max. VE

5.5 inches depth, from wall to the front of the TV
4.7 inches height, from desk to bottom of TV.

Make sure you to turn "Just Scan: On" in the additional picture settings to get 1-to-1 pixels on PC input, and avoid overscan.

IMG_2603.jpg

I ended up just purchasing a 55" cx, might try to find a good deal on a C9. I got it to do 3440x1440 at 65Hz for desktop use, which makes it pretty awesome.

Also, it automatically switches to "Game Mode (Lower Latency)" when gaming w/ G-Sync, right now I'm gaming at 2560x1440 at 120Hz. Once cards with HDMI 2.1 come out, I'm sure higher refresh rate with ultrawide will work.

Definitely not for everyone, but thought I'd post in case someone was looking to do something similar or maybe hadn't thought about changing resolution to make the desktop more usable. The borders are completely black, so it's like they're not even there.

I may still try a 48" if I can get my hands on one before the return policy expires.

Last edited:
View attachment 255119
I ended up just purchasing a 55" cx, might try to find a good deal on a C9. I got it to do 3440x1440 at 65Hz for desktop use, which makes it pretty awesome.

Also, it automatically switches to "Game Mode (Lower Latency)" when gaming w/ G-Sync, right now I'm gaming at 2560x1440 at 120Hz. Once cards with HDMI 2.1 come out, I'm sure higher refresh rate with ultrawide will work.

Definitely not for everyone, but thought I'd post in case someone was looking to do something similar or maybe hadn't thought above changing resolution to make the desktop more usable. The borders are completely black, so it's like they're not even there.

I may still try a 48" if I can get my hands on one before the return policy expires.

I like the way it sits smack dab on your desk. Pretty cool desk too. Seems a little narrow though. Good job.

I like the way it sits smack dab on your desk. Pretty cool desk too. Seems a little narrow though. Good job.

Thanks! Measure twice, drill twice LMAO.

It is quite narrow, a hair over 19.5". It sits right next to my AV tower (which also holds my computer), so I didn't want something that would protrude too much further.

I used this mount from Amazon, if any are interested - it worked great to get it super close to the wall:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KBEOEB0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 255119

Definitely not for everyone, but thought I'd post in case someone was looking to do something similar or maybe hadn't thought above changing resolution to make the desktop more usable. The borders are completely black, so it's like they're not even there.

Wayyyy to near for me, I'd sit like 4' + back minimum for 55"
(view distances that work for me) but thank you for posting your working ultrawide resolution results.

So i guess 21:9 like resolutions with > 60hz, preferably 120hz, resolutions do work now? A few pages earlier and on other sites it stated all "real" custom (1080 and 1440p excluded) resolutions won't work at above 60hz.

3840×1600 120hz or atleast 3440×1440 120hz till we have hdmi 2.1 GPUs or Adapters would be nice.

So i guess 21:9 like resolutions with > 60hz, preferably 120hz, resolutions do work now? A few pages earlier and on other sites it stated all "real" custom (1080 and 1440p excluded) resolutions won't work at above 60hz.

3840×1600 120hz or atleast 3440×1440 120hz till we have hdmi 2.1 GPUs or Adapters would be nice.

Does HDR work in these custom resolutions?

No, you still need a HDMI 2.1 GPU or the DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter. To my understanding the problem is that the TV scaler accepts a limited number of resolutions and refresh rates so GPU scaling is needed, which means limited bandwidth as the TV still thinks it’s getting 4K.

Yes, works fine.

No, you still need a HDMI 2.1 GPU or the DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter. To my understanding the problem is that the TV scaler accepts a limited number of resolutions and refresh rates so GPU scaling is needed, which means limited bandwidth as the TV still thinks it’s getting 4K.

Yes, works fine.

Thank you, I just ordered mine, do not have shipping date yet, but I do not envision running native 4K resolution with my 1080 Ti until 3090 becomes available.

Definitely not for everyone, but thought I'd post in case someone was looking to do something similar or maybe hadn't thought about changing resolution to make the desktop more usable. The borders are completely black, so it's like they're not even there.

Pet peave, but the desk isn't narrow at all, it's quite wide.

However, it is extremely shallow (x axis desc from viewing is wide/narrow, y axis is deep/shallow).

Anyway, it's wall too close, which is what I know we all meant :)

There's no way I could sit that close and enjoy my experience, but to each, his own.

Holy shit you're sitting close! Haha. Welcome to the club but damn. My eyes are at around 5' from the screen and some think that's pushing it. Enjoy though however, you do it [H]!

So, I just did a bunch of testing. Basically, I'm an idiot for running at 3440 instead of 3840 horizontally (Scaling).

Resolutions I tested and worked were:
3840x1600 at 68Hz
3840x1440 at 68Hz
3840x1080 at 68Hz

Above 68Hz it crashes (That goes for any resolution, including 3840x2160).

I also tried a Displayport to HDMI cable I has laying around, and there is no VRR support.

To answer your question, I can't get HDR to work at anything other than 16:9 resolutions. I only tested with the Windows HDR slider in Display Settings, though. Games might work?

So, I just did a bunch of testing. Basically, I'm an idiot for running at 3440 instead of 3840 horizontally (Scaling).

3840x1600 at 68Hz
3840x1440 at 68Hz
3840x1080 at 68Hz

I also tried a Displayport to HDMI cable I has laying around, and there is no VRR support.

To answer your question, I can't get HDR to work at anything other than 16:9 resolutions. I only tested with the Windows HDR slider in Display Settings, though. Games might work?

Interesting, thank you, I will only use HDR for games, will test it once I get the TV and report. I assume G-sync would work in custom resolutions as well?

How's gaming at 1440p on this? Is the pixel density really bad / blurry? I'm guessing unless you're always willing to shell out an additional 1000-1500 bucks for whatever top of the line nvidia card is currently on the market, 4k60+ is kind of pipe dream for modern AAA.

3840x1600 at 68Hz
3840x1440 at 68Hz
3840x1080 at 68Hz

3840x1440 is a great sweet spot for field of view vs image height. It avoids some of the FOV distortion issues of super ultrawide 3840x1080.

HDR should work fine at 60 Hz, at least it does on my C9. Display vs GPU scaling in NVCP could also matter.

How's gaming at 1440p on this? Is the pixel density really bad / blurry? I'm guessing unless you're always willing to shell out an additional 1000-1500 bucks for whatever top of the line nvidia card is currently on the market, 4k60+ is kind of pipe dream for modern AAA.
At least on my 65” C9 it works just fine. Add a bit of image sharpening from NVCP and it looks really good and I doubt you would really spot the difference in motion on any faster games when playing rather than checking the scenery. For more performance ultrawide resolutions are another solid option.

Does gsync work with 4k120 at 4:2? At work all day and won't be able to test for a awhile.

It should once HDMI 2.1 graphics cards and gaming consoles come out. I currently run a 2080Ti and they only have HDMI 2.0b, which is limited to 2560x1440 at 120Hz. Any resolution above that seems to be limited to 60Hz-68Hz.

At least on my 65” C9 it works just fine. Add a bit of image sharpening from NVCP and it looks really good and I doubt you would really spot the difference in motion on any faster games when playing rather than checking the scenery. For more performance ultrawide resolutions are another solid option.
I played Warzone for 4 hours last night and it was glorious. Sniping was ridiculous, the characters are so big.

Super high graphics settings and I could hit the full 120Hz at 2560x1440, I didn't notice a lack of clarity at all.

Honestly, I don't see much difference between 1440p @ 120hz RGB and 4k @ 120hz 4:2:0 Chroma. However, there's a massive difference in performance.

I stick to 1440P for gaming. I think the picture is amazing, but YMMV.

Does gsync work with 4k120 at 4:2? At work all day and won't be able to test for a awhile.

Yes. 4k120 @ 4:2:0.

Now is this thread still only about the Lg 48CX. Because I see a lot of people commenting about their C9 or whatever.

Now is this thread still only about the Lg 48CX. Because I see a lot of people commenting about their C9 or whatever.
There is barely any difference in the C9 series vs CX, just no 48" option which few here have. Hoping to get mine this coming week.

A lot of owners of other CX sizes also chiming in about their experiences. Considering that the CX48 uses the same electronics as the CX55, 65, and 77, I'd say this thread should include ALL CX opinions and feedback, as well as some C9/B9 for reference.

Dumb question as it's probably already covered in here some where. Can strobing/BFI be enabled in different refresh rates other than 60hz and 120hz?

Back