• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LG 48CX

Yeah and Xbox HDR is capped to 400 nits so that's pretty bad. Game is still pretty fun though and I guess modding the games has always been part of the fun when it comes to Bethesda.
Yeah I'm planning to pick up Starfield in maybe like 6 months or more. By that time most of the major issues should be handled by either patches or mods.

Rockstar and Bethesda games are the ones I do not pick at release. I've learned my lesson.
 
OK, just checked my full time on with service remote on my CX48 - 4790 hrs.
That is after almost 2 years 9 months of use, ~5-8hrs a day, 5 days a week, OLED light on 15, 100% Windows desktop use - 80% work, 20% YouTube + gaming.
No issues so far. So will probably hit 5K hrs after 3 years of usage.

How about you guys?
 
OK, just checked my full time on with service remote on my CX48 - 4790 hrs.
That is after almost 2 years 9 months of use, ~5-8hrs a day, 5 days a week, OLED light on 15, 100% Windows desktop use - 80% work, 20% YouTube + gaming.
No issues so far. So will probably hit 5K hrs after 3 years of usage.

How about you guys?
Just checked and I am at 13,595 hours. Similar use case except I use mine 7 days a week and my OLED light is on 30.

No issues - still looks great!
 
Thought I'd update my prior post here. Best Buy replaced my oled 48" panel on my 48cx about 1.5 years ago I think. Now have several dead pixels as well as a pretty obvious burn in line down the center of the screen (use two windows split left and right mostly). Worst are two columns of horizontal banding about 3/4 to the right of the screen. On a grey to grey test they are painfully obvious.

Two panels gone bad in less than 2 years and the constant dimming equals me going to a non oled panel most likely for my replacement of this screen.
 
Thought I'd update my prior post here. Best Buy replaced my oled 48" panel on my 48cx about 1.5 years ago I think. Now have several dead pixels as well as a pretty obvious burn in line down the center of the screen (use two windows split left and right mostly). Worst are two columns of horizontal banding about 3/4 to the right of the screen. On a grey to grey test they are painfully obvious.

Two panels gone bad in less than 2 years and the constant dimming equals me going to a non oled panel most likely for my replacement of this screen.
I have 3 different OLEDs. No problems with any of of them. Oldest is a C9 with over 8000 hours and a CX with a couple thousand. My Dell DWF is only a few months old tho.
 
Still using my CX from June 2020 with it's original panel, got just over 6000 hours on it. Zero burn in but I do have A LOT of dead pixels all around the edges of the screen. Definitely in the hundreds of dead pixels now but from my viewing distance it's unnoticeable, gotta get pretty close to be able to spot them.
 
I have a LG C8 purchased end of 2018 with 11,350 hours on it. No issues whatsoever.
 
Even if visually there's no issue, I sometimes wonder if at 3 years of use my LG CX 48" is dimmer than when it was new or if the reserves and compensation have kept the performance. I just have no way of testing this.

But it looks good to me and gets bright enough that e.g in Cyberpunk when the "brain dance" sequences initiate, the flash of white is bright enough for me to want to turn away or close my eyes, and the display manages to do full field white for a good bit as it loads.
 
Close to 15k hours on my CX now, 7 days a week. Just the one black pixel in the far right corner (can't see it unless looking for it and putting your face up close). Flawless other than that, I don't think it got any dimmer at least not in SDR from my last measurements.
 
You guys are all pretty lucky or I'm just unlucky with panel lottery.
 

Attachments

  • 20230813_195744.jpg
    20230813_195744.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
I have 4 near the very top and never notice them. They're up on the toolbar and I use a dark theme, also I sit pretty far back.

I've got it all along the entire outer edge of the screen but from my viewing distance I can't see them so I guess it's no big deal. I'm not the only one with this problem either so this experience sorta makes it off putting for me in terms of considering another WOLED display.

1696363272094.png
 
Yeah that's pretty bad. Mine is really on the edge of the screen - as in last pixel before the plastic border. And it's only one so far.
 
Looked up the dates and I bought the CX48 in 2020, in a year and a half time using it as a monitor (some games, but mostly work) I had probably 30 dead pixels along the outside edge. They replaced the panel in June of 2022 and it ended up being a C1 panel vs CX so a year newer. Now fast forward to Oct. of 23 and I have 3 dead pixels along the edge, a burn in line down the center (worse than any burn in on the last panel) and some extremely noticeable banding marks in two columns on the right side of the screen. The overall picture is still very good, but there's enough day to day issues that I wouldn't go WOled for a monitor again. The backlight dimming has been incredibly annoying on a day to day basis too.
 
Turns out there is enough warranty to replace the panel again instead of giving me a gift card for the $1500 I paid for it new. LG doesn't update their part numbers so I won't know what panel it is until it arrives. I'm curious if it will be the c3 evo panel as that would be a nice jump in brightness over my current C1 panel.

The moral of the story is to get the 5year geeksquad warranty when using an oled as a monitor. I still have two years left on the warranty and zero dollars basically remaining before they fulfill the warranty with the giftcard.
 
Turns out there is enough warranty to replace the panel again instead of giving me a gift card for the $1500 I paid for it new. LG doesn't update their part numbers so I won't know what panel it is until it arrives. I'm curious if it will be the c3 evo panel as that would be a nice jump in brightness over my current C1 panel.

The moral of the story is to get the 5year geeksquad warranty when using an oled as a monitor. I still have two years left on the warranty and zero dollars basically remaining before they fulfill the warranty with the giftcard.

Geeksquad warranty only applies to TVs though right? Or can you buy an OLED monitor and still get it?
 
Geeksquad warranty only applies to TVs though right? Or can you buy an OLED monitor and still get it?
Not sure, I bought the 48cx back when there wasn't such a thing as an oled monitor so they still consider it a tv. It was $350 or something like that, but totally worth it for 2 panel replacements and getting my original purchase price back eventually as I have zero confidence that this new panel will last 2 years without having some kind of issue.
 
Not sure, I bought the 48cx back when there wasn't such a thing as an oled monitor so they still consider it a tv. It was $350 or something like that, but totally worth it for 2 panel replacements and getting my original purchase price back eventually as I have zero confidence that this new panel will last 2 years without having some kind of issue.

Looks like there is an entirely different warranty for monitors and someone in the Q&A said it does cover burn in.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/4-year-geek-squad-product-replacement/8902028.p?skuId=8902028#:~:text=A Geek Squad® Product,is available) or reimburse you.

1696439140565.png


It's only $30 as well. I'll definitely buy my next OLED display from BB and toss in this warranty then.
 
1873 hours already on this thing. A few dead pixels along the edges. Though this appears to be very common. I think it arrived with them.

Coming from CRT, I still like this particular model for its BFI, which I have set on high always. Mostly a work machine, but BFI even helps with scrolling text...
 
OK, just checked my full time on with service remote on my CX48 - 4790 hrs.
That is after almost 2 years 9 months of use, ~5-8hrs a day, 5 days a week, OLED light on 15, 100% Windows desktop use - 80% work, 20% YouTube + gaming.
No issues so far. So will probably hit 5K hrs after 3 years of usage.

How about you guys?
Same here, almost 3 years not 1 problem.
 
So...the 60 Hz BFI High setting on the CX is also awesome. Quite clear on the UFO Test. I did have to turn up the OLED light. And I see the strobing, but only initially does that seem to be a thing to me. Of course, I also think 48Hz on a CRT looks kind of cool. So maybe I'm just a freak that way. (Talking animation and video, not office productivity apps though.)

I realize I'm about 3 years behind y'all in making these "discoveries". :)

(And they're not still making this thing...the old, "why we can't have nice things" cliche?)
 
I think those results are with maximum OLED light. Hopefully real life usage will be more kind...
 
Really impressive results from the C2 in that case, then.

Given the fact that my CX has made it this long in daily use without looking anything like the above pic, the C2 could be my last monitor purchase ever. :p

Kidding of course since it’s already due for a specs upgrade, but needless to say what little concern there was regarding any potential for noticeable burn-in based on my experience is gone at this point.
 
I think those results are with maximum OLED light. Hopefully real life usage will be more kind...

Yeah I don't think anyone is blasting their sets with max OLED light, this is just for science. But it shows that the EVO or EX panel whatever LG is calling it now really is more resilient to burn in over the previous panels so it wasn't just all marketing fluff.
 
Really impressive results from the C2 in that case, then.

Given the fact that my CX has made it this long in daily use without looking anything like the above pic, the C2 could be my last monitor purchase ever. :p

Kidding of course since it’s already due for a specs upgrade, but needless to say what little concern there was regarding any potential for noticeable burn-in based on my experience is gone at this point.
The CX has been so good I've had very little reason to upgrade.

Maybe if next year they go 4K 240 Hz and brighter, that would be enough of a reason to swap it. Otherwise I'll probably use it until it dies.
 
The CX has been so good I've had very little reason to upgrade.

Maybe if next year they go 4K 240 Hz and brighter, that would be enough of a reason to swap it. Otherwise I'll probably use it until it dies.

Same for me. Brighter is always better, but the amount it's increased isn't significant enough to warrant an upgrade yet.

I would be tempted by 4k 240hz. But what would really get me is simultaneous VRR and strobing.
 
Same for me. Brighter is always better, but the amount it's increased isn't significant enough to warrant an upgrade yet.

I would be tempted by 4k 240hz. But what would really get me is simultaneous VRR and strobing.
I think 120/240 Hz BFI with low input lag without VRR would be good.
 
Same for me. Brighter is always better, but the amount it's increased isn't significant enough to warrant an upgrade yet.

I would be tempted by 4k 240hz. But what would really get me is simultaneous VRR and strobing.

I'm willing to bet that BFI will never come back. And the fact that people were championing the removal of the feature was pretty baffling. Doesn't matter if you personally don't use said feature, nobody should be cheering when features are REMOVED.
 
I'm willing to bet that BFI will never come back. And the fact that people were championing the removal of the feature was pretty baffling. Doesn't matter if you personally don't use said feature, nobody should be cheering when features are REMOVED.

Baffling is putting it very kindly.

BFI is absolutely spectacular on the CX. Even the 60 Hz mode. Please LG bring it back!

I know some don't like it with HDR. And that it doesn't work at all with VRR. However, motion resolution, is a baseline more important than any of that. It's about getting back what we had for decades with CRT. And that then was taken away.
 
Baffling is putting it very kindly.

BFI is absolutely spectacular on the CX. Even the 60 Hz mode. Please LG bring it back!

I know some don't like it with HDR. And that it doesn't work at all with VRR. However, motion resolution, is a baseline more important than any of that. It's about getting back what we had for decades with CRT. And that then was taken away.

I'm pretty it can be done with VRR as LCD's already do this. It should also be compatible with HDR to some degree because the PSVR2 uses OLED displays and is supposedly HDR capable but I'm not sure how bright it actually gets. But yeah just the simple fact that BFI is used in every single VR display makes it ironic when people say BFI is useless.
 
I'm pretty it can be done with VRR as LCD's already do this. It should also be compatible with HDR to some degree because the PSVR2 uses OLED displays and is supposedly HDR capable but I'm not sure how bright it actually gets. But yeah just the simple fact that BFI is used in every single VR display makes it ironic when people say BFI is useless.
Even on the LG CX series you can use BFI with HDR. It's just pointless because the brightness drop is so big that it makes them look like SDR. I don't think OLEDs will ever have the brightness reserves to make that work on a TV/monitor size display. Maybe with VR glasses it works because you need less brightness since it's so close to your eyes.

VRR is another bag of worms. Afaik there's nothing out there that truly does VRR+BFI/backlight strobing without major issues.
 
I still find HDR effective with 120Hz BFI. Maybe because my room is relatively dim? (I can see there would be less runway with 60Hz BFI.)

I mostly just love this CX so far, because it's the closest to a flat panel CRT I've ever had...
 
Just checked the service menu of my LG CX 48" as for reasons unknown European models don't show usage time. 6823 hours, or 284 days and 7h of on time. Still no burn in.
 
Even on the LG CX series you can use BFI with HDR. It's just pointless because the brightness drop is so big that it makes them look like SDR. I don't think OLEDs will ever have the brightness reserves to make that work on a TV/monitor size display. Maybe with VR glasses it works because you need less brightness since it's so close to your eyes.

VRR is another bag of worms. Afaik there's nothing out there that truly does VRR+BFI/backlight strobing without major issues.

PSVR2 doesn't do it well. By default PSVR2 has very high persistence, which makes people sick. When you actually set the persistence to what's seen in other headsets the brightness is very low and not what you would consider HDR.

On OLED VRR strobing should be much easier to solve than LCD because you don't have to worry about pixel timings and crosstalk. It's really just evening the brightness out that needs to be solved, which really doesn't seem very hard.
Yes things will be darker when using it but I would still love it. I think the clarity benefits would outweigh the brightness limitations in a lot of cases.
I think they just haven't really tried yet because OLED has only just started to become popular so it's been a niche feature upon a niche market. We'll probably see it in a few years as OLED competition continues to increase and they look for ways to set themselves apart.
 
PSVR2 doesn't do it well. By default PSVR2 has very high persistence, which makes people sick. When you actually set the persistence to what's seen in other headsets the brightness is very low and not what you would consider HDR.

On OLED VRR strobing should be much easier to solve than LCD because you don't have to worry about pixel timings and crosstalk. It's really just evening the brightness out that needs to be solved, which really doesn't seem very hard.
Yes things will be darker when using it but I would still love it. I think the clarity benefits would outweigh the brightness limitations in a lot of cases.
I think they just haven't really tried yet because OLED has only just started to become popular so it's been a niche feature upon a niche market. We'll probably see it in a few years as OLED competition continues to increase and they look for ways to set themselves apart.

Strobing has now become insanely good on LCD with the latest ULMB2 on the 360Hz and 540Hz displays. Obviously an OLED would never pass ULMB2 certification since it cannot get bright enough, but I would love to see what strobing would look like on something like the upcoming 480Hz WOLED.
 
Putting hours on mine rapidly. Got the pixel refresher message last night. Checked the counter and yup 2000 hours. I don't notice a difference before and after. Except I think I spotted a new dead pixel along the top edge. Though it's only a handful or two along the edges so far...
 
I've just paired it with a 4090. I didn't know or had forgotten that frame generation doesn't work with V-Sync. However, running Cyberpunk with path tracing with frames limited to 100 FPS via the Nvidia control panel (though DLSS set to "performance" ) appears to work ok. And the new card has restored some games that no longer worked well after the jump to 4K.

I guess the new version of Cyberpunk might be a good case for G-SYNC, but I really want BFI though.
 
Back
Top