• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LG 48CX

FPS is epic on a big OLED unless you want a competitive edge for multiplayer then yeah I can see 48" being a little problematic. I'm enjoying Crysis Remastered on my CX with Auto HDR and maxed out RT on a 4090 and it's amazing.
Yeah that’s why I keep thinking 42” will feel like a downgrade, for immersive gaming at least. Been playing cyberpunk with a 4090 on it at max ray tracing settings and it’s glorious. It really is a great size for gaming and watching movies, at about 1m away. It’s my fave monitor of all time and I’ve put thousands of hours of gaming and productivity work on it now.

BUT, I do find it a bit too large occasionally. I can’t see the full screen at 1m when playing FPS so I have to look around to see hud elements. I’m pretty used to it now (have 400 hours playing DRG on it for example) - but it can be annoying sometimes. I basically can’t full screen apps at all on it either, which is annoying 1% of the time for screen sharing at work.

Maybe I should invest in an ergotron HX so I can push it farther back when I need to. It’s sort of hard to justify a £250 arm though when the C2 is on sale for £700. 42 would be better ultimately as a pc monitor I think - would lose some immersion but it is a more practical size.

Okay, I convinced myself to cancel my 42" order and look out for a used HX arm :D.
 
Last edited:
Yeah that’s why I keep thinking 42” will feel like a downgrade, for immersive gaming at least. Been playing cyberpunk with a 4090 on it at max ray tracing settings and it’s glorious. It really is a great size for gaming and watching movies, at about 1m away. It’s my fave monitor of all time and I’ve put thousands of hours of gaming and productivity work on it now.

BUT, I do find it a bit too large occasionally. I can’t see the full screen at 1m when playing FPS so I have to look around to see hud elements. I’m pretty used to it now (have 400 hours playing DRG on it for example) - but it can be annoying sometimes. I basically can’t full screen apps at all on it either, which is annoying 1% of the time for screen sharing at work.

Maybe I should invest in an ergotron HX so I can push it farther back when I need to. It’s sort of hard to justify a £250 arm though when the C2 is on sale for £700. 42 would be better ultimately as a pc monitor I think - would lose some immersion but it is a more practical size.

Okay, I convinced myself to cancel my 42" order and look out for a used HX arm :D.

When I moved, I was thinking of originally selling my CX 48" but it happened to be a great size for our small living room. But I was actually happy to go back to a smaller LCD for desktop use. The CX was good but I was often not using its full desktop, instead using maybe like the bottom 2/3rds instead, sort of like a 3840x1600 display I suppose. Even 1m viewing distance I found it a bit large otherwise even though it was lovely for media and games. I think the 42" size would be more desktop friendly.

I tried putting the CX on a monitor arm initially but the problem is that it is of course limited by the depth of your desk. I bought a cheap floorstand for it instead and that's a more practical solution though not very adjustable. I figured that I am not very interested in moving the screen back and forth but will instead find a good spot and leave it there.

At this point there is not much reason to buy the C2 42" if you have a CX/C1/C2 48". It's pretty much the same thing but smaller. Wait for C3 to be unveiled to see if it brings anything new at least.

What I am really hoping LG would do is a fixed curve C3 that is not much more expensive than the flat C3. To me the motorized curve of the LG Flex is a stupid feature. You will play with it a bit and then probably park it on one setting. LG should just make a 42", 4K 240 Hz version of the 45GR95QE (the curved 45" 3440x1440 OLED).
 
Yup I'm just going to wait until we get something significantly better at 42". Not worth the side grade right now. Still have 0 burn in and only like 3-4 dead pixels on the edges at about 6.5k hours so far.
 
When I moved, I was thinking of originally selling my CX 48" but it happened to be a great size for our small living room. But I was actually happy to go back to a smaller LCD for desktop use. The CX was good but I was often not using its full desktop, instead using maybe like the bottom 2/3rds instead, sort of like a 3840x1600 display I suppose. Even 1m viewing distance I found it a bit large otherwise even though it was lovely for media and games. I think the 42" size would be more desktop friendly.

I tried putting the CX on a monitor arm initially but the problem is that it is of course limited by the depth of your desk. I bought a cheap floorstand for it instead and that's a more practical solution though not very adjustable. I figured that I am not very interested in moving the screen back and forth but will instead find a good spot and leave it there.

At this point there is not much reason to buy the C2 42" if you have a CX/C1/C2 48". It's pretty much the same thing but smaller. Wait for C3 to be unveiled to see if it brings anything new at least.

What I am really hoping LG would do is a fixed curve C3 that is not much more expensive than the flat C3. To me the motorized curve of the LG Flex is a stupid feature. You will play with it a bit and then probably park it on one setting. LG should just make a 42", 4K 240 Hz version of the 45GR95QE (the curved 45" 3440x1440 OLED).

I expect the C3 to be exactly like how the C1 was to the CX, basically the same thing and not worth it over a heavily discounted C2. After that in 2024 maybe we'll get the next big thing for WOLED but I'm pretty sure LG's main focus for their TV's isn't the PC gaming/desktop crowd so instead of giving us higher refresh rates or a curve, they'll probably be releasing that MLA panel that supposedly increases the brightness significantly and even that may not hit the C series but instead be limited to larger sized G series TVs. I think we reached the end of the road here for WOLED TV's but hey at least LG is actually making monitors now starting with that 27" 240Hz so hopefully we'll just get a 32" 4K 144Hz+ WOLED monitor next year or in 2024 and never have to bother with using TV's as a monitor again.
 
I expect the C3 to be exactly like how the C1 was to the CX, basically the same thing and not worth it over a heavily discounted C2. After that in 2024 maybe we'll get the next big thing for WOLED but I'm pretty sure LG's main focus for their TV's isn't the PC gaming/desktop crowd so instead of giving us higher refresh rates or a curve, they'll probably be releasing that MLA panel that supposedly increases the brightness significantly and even that may not hit the C series but instead be limited to larger sized G series TVs. I think we reached the end of the road here for WOLED TV's but hey at least LG is actually making monitors now starting with that 27" 240Hz so hopefully we'll just get a 32" 4K 144Hz+ WOLED monitor next year or in 2024 and never have to bother with using TV's as a monitor again.
That's kind of why I was hoping they would focus on things like increased refresh rate and a fixed curve model. It's hard to sell a C3 if it's just the same thing as the C2 but more expensive unless they delay release until C2 supplies are depleted.
 
That's kind of why I was hoping they would focus on things like increased refresh rate and a fixed curve model. It's hard to sell a C3 if it's just the same thing as the C2 but more expensive unless they delay release until C2 supplies are depleted.

Well again higher Hz and curved screens are features that are more appealing towards the PC crowd and I don't think that's LG's main focus when it comes to their TV lineup so I don't see them bothering with it. Would be happy to be wrong though but I don't expect much out of the C3 that would interest us PC people who use their TV's as a monitor.
 
Does anyone know of anyway to send a command to the PC whenever you press a certain button on the LG remote?

What I'm trying to achieve:
1. Hold button 2 to run Emby shortcut.
2. TV run Emby and notify PC (this is the part I'm trying to figure out).
3. PC run script to pause Wallpaper Engine.

Or the opposite:
1. Hold button 1 to return to HDMI1 shortcut (PC).
2. TV goes back to PC mode and notify PC of that.
3. PC run script to unpause Wallpaper Engine.

Edit: Figured it out using Home Assistant (with LG webOS integration) + HASS.Agent.
 
Last edited:
Does anyone know of anyway to send a command to the PC whenever you press a certain button on the LG remote?

What I'm trying to achieve:
1. Hold button 2 to run Emby shortcut.
2. TV run Emby and notify PC (this is the part I'm trying to figure out).
3. PC run script to pause Wallpaper Engine.

Or the opposite:
1. Hold button 1 to return to HDMI1 shortcut (PC).
2. TV goes back to PC mode and notify PC of that.
3. PC run script to unpause Wallpaper Engine.

Edit: Figured it out using Home Assistant (with LG webOS integration) + HASS.Agent.

What to share the details?
 
Yeah that’s why I keep thinking 42” will feel like a downgrade, for immersive gaming at least. Been playing cyberpunk with a 4090 on it at max ray tracing settings and it’s glorious. It really is a great size for gaming and watching movies, at about 1m away. It’s my fave monitor of all time and I’ve put thousands of hours of gaming and productivity work on it now.

BUT, I do find it a bit too large occasionally. I can’t see the full screen at 1m when playing FPS so I have to look around to see hud elements. I’m pretty used to it now (have 400 hours playing DRG on it for example) - but it can be annoying sometimes. I basically can’t full screen apps at all on it either, which is annoying 1% of the time for screen sharing at work.

Maybe I should invest in an ergotron HX so I can push it farther back when I need to. It’s sort of hard to justify a £250 arm though when the C2 is on sale for £700. 42 would be better ultimately as a pc monitor I think - would lose some immersion but it is a more practical size.

Okay, I convinced myself to cancel my 42" order and look out for a used HX arm :D.

I've had the CX48 since launch. Just recently I bought the 42C2. You might laugh but I'm returning the 42 and keeping the 48. Don't get me wrong, the 42 is beautiful but dare I say....too small. Picture wise they are exactly the same.
 
I've had the CX48 since launch. Just recently I bought the 42C2. You might laugh but I'm returning the 42 and keeping the 48. Don't get me wrong, the 42 is beautiful but dare I say....too small. Picture wise they are exactly the same.

That's why I skipped the 42C2 as well, the picture quality isn't getting an upgrade from the 48CX and the size, while being closer to the ideal 32" that I prefer, is still not there anyways so it's yet another stopgap to 32". What sucks is that the smaller the screen gets, so does the brightness. The 42C2 is less bright than the 48CX and that 27" WOLED monitor coming out is going to be even dimmer. So when a 32" finally lands, I'm not sure if I even wanna upgrade to that if the brightness is going to get significantly nerfed compared to my CX. We need some 4K QD-OLED options in the monitor space! Or for LG to stop making smaller WOLED's lose brightness compared to larger ones.
 
That's why I skipped the 42C2 as well, the picture quality isn't getting an upgrade from the 48CX and the size, while being closer to the ideal 32" that I prefer, is still not there anyways so it's yet another stopgap to 32". What sucks is that the smaller the screen gets, so does the brightness. The 42C2 is less bright than the 48CX and that 27" WOLED monitor coming out is going to be even dimmer. So when a 32" finally lands, I'm not sure if I even wanna upgrade to that if the brightness is going to get significantly nerfed compared to my CX. We need some 4K QD-OLED options in the monitor space! Or for LG to stop making smaller WOLED's lose brightness compared to larger ones.
I am seeing the same thing going from the 65" C9 in my living room to the CX 48". C9 seemed to get brighter overall.

I was definitely tempted by Black Friday deals for the 42C2 but I knew that like the CX 48" it would be less than ideal. I'm using a Samsung G70A 28" 4K 144 Hz as an interim solution and feel like a 32" 16:9 or 40" 5120x2160 would be ideal for me but since neither has that great options regardless of tech, I'm hoping for some improvements in the 42-43" size.

I found the 48" size too tall for me and often ended up using the bottom 2/3rds of the display. 42" would probably have been just that little bit smaller to be appropriate for me.

If LG could make the 42" C2 at a higher refresh rate, similar brightness to 48" CX and with a fixed 800-1000R curve they would have a real winner because a big part of why the CX 48" needed so much viewing distance was that seeing the sides and corners of the display is awkward if it's too close. Curve would bring them more towards you and thus make it easier to manage the size. I would probably buy the LG Flex if it wasn't literally just the C2 with 3x price tag. Just too expensive for what it is.
 
I am seeing the same thing going from the 65" C9 in my living room to the CX 48". C9 seemed to get brighter overall.

I was definitely tempted by Black Friday deals for the 42C2 but I knew that like the CX 48" it would be less than ideal. I'm using a Samsung G70A 28" 4K 144 Hz as an interim solution and feel like a 32" 16:9 or 40" 5120x2160 would be ideal for me but since neither has that great options regardless of tech, I'm hoping for some improvements in the 42-43" size.

I found the 48" size too tall for me and often ended up using the bottom 2/3rds of the display. 42" would probably have been just that little bit smaller to be appropriate for me.

If LG could make the 42" C2 at a higher refresh rate, similar brightness to 48" CX and with a fixed 800-1000R curve they would have a real winner because a big part of why the CX 48" needed so much viewing distance was that seeing the sides and corners of the display is awkward if it's too close. Curve would bring them more towards you and thus make it easier to manage the size. I would probably buy the LG Flex if it wasn't literally just the C2 with 3x price tag. Just too expensive for what it is.

I guess it's up to Asus to do what LG won't and slap a heatsink on their OLED monitors. They will be releasing their own 27" with a custom heatsink it seems. So when 32" eventually lands I would expect Asus to follow up with a heatsink option as well. On the PG42UQ the heatsink is pretty effective but for some reason Asus decided to nerf brightness levels below the C2 once you go past a 25% window. Surely it can deliver higher brightness across the entire range and not just from 1-25%.

1670511771850.png
 
As the TV notifications have been alluding to for a week or two, LG finally released an updated firmware for CX GX series today: v04.40.70

[Web OS] 2020 LG OLED AI Latest Software _OLEDxxCXX_GXX_RXX_WXX_O20). Ver.04.40.70

change log:
1. The voice recognition feature has been improved.(China)
2. TBD
 
Last edited:
As the TV notifications have been alluding to for a week or two, LG finally released an updated firmware for CX GX series today: v04.40.70

[Web OS] 2020 LG OLED AI Latest Software _OLEDxxCXX_GXX_RXX_WXX_O20). Ver.04.40.70

change log:
1. The voice recognition feature has been improved.(China)
2. TBD

Just got this firmware update last night. It's great that LG has continued to give the CX support to this day but I think at this point we should expect nothing major with any future firmware updates. Most of the big issues were already fixed within the first few months anyway which is already more than most manufacturers would ever do.
 
Can anyone do me a favor and check something? So I've decided to make my CX a permanent BFI screen and what's happened is that with OLED Motion Pro (BFI) set to HIGH, my CX can now only output 78 nits fullfield with OLED light at 100 and 6500k whitepoint. I swore this thing could do just over 100 nits at the same settings when it was brand new so maybe it's degraded quite a bit after over 2 years of use. Wondering what kind of brightness output you guys are getting with BFI set to High, OLED light at 100, and whitepoint at 6500k. I would ask some of my friends who also own a CX but none of them have colorimeters to take readings.

EDIT: From TFTCentral: "The OLED Motion Pro feature has settings for off, low, medium, high and auto. We measured the off/on pattern as shown above in each mode. As you increase the setting the “on” period is shortened which can help improve the motion clarity further, but does also impact the brightness of the screen. We measured the following maximum brightness levels in each mode (with OLED light setting at 100) – low setting 216 cd/m2, medium 148 cd/m2 and high 119 cd/m2."

It definitely used to be able to do over 100 nits on the HIGH BFI mode before. Looks like after 2.5 years of use my CX can no longer output the same brightness levels with BFI and I'm capped to 78 nits on HIGH. Weird part is that if I turn BFI off and switch back to HDR it can still output 760 nits on the Windows HDR Calibration menu before clipping.
 
Last edited:
Can anyone do me a favor and check something? So I've decided to make my CX a permanent BFI screen and what's happened is that with OLED Motion Pro (BFI) set to HIGH, my CX can now only output 78 nits fullfield with OLED light at 100 and 6500k whitepoint. I swore this thing could do just over 100 nits at the same settings when it was brand new so maybe it's degraded quite a bit after over 2 years of use. Wondering what kind of brightness output you guys are getting with BFI set to High, OLED light at 100, and whitepoint at 6500k. I would ask some of my friends who also own a CX but none of them have colorimeters to take readings.

Just wondering, why would you want this?
Reduced brightness & contrast, no HDR, no VRR. Sure, your 4090 is stout, but is it locked 120fps ultra setting stout?
Legit question
 
Just wondering, why would you want this?
Reduced brightness & contrast, no HDR, no VRR. Sure, your 4090 is stout, but is it locked 120fps ultra setting stout?
Legit question

I have my Acer X27 set for HDR gaming duty. The kind of games that I would even play on the CX with BFI are games that have no benefit to using HDR like Celeste and Dead Cells, and would be very easy to run. Think pixel art type of games and non demanding side scrollers. Seriously would anyone even think about playing those kinda games at 1000+ nits? Not ALL games would benefit from HDR, some would benefit much more from having amazing motion clarity and a BFI OLED is hard to beat in that regard.
 
Last edited:

MistaSparkul,​

maybe you also may try to ask users like "jorimt" from the blur busters forums if you want for his current CX nit levels.

i remember when i asked him about some of his OLED CX nit levels when using BFI, mode, he confirmed the following: "60hz bfi reduces peak brightness as low as 60 nits, other higher frequencies up to 100 - 120hz have arround 116nits" referring to the CX best motion quality BFI mode "OLED Motion Pro" set to "High", but that was in july 2020 though, now after more than 2 years of that post, some current CX peak brightness luminance degradation woud make sense i guess.

this is the link of that post i was referring about:

https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7161&p=54567&hilit=3dfan#p54567
 
Last edited:
Can anyone do me a favor and check something? So I've decided to make my CX a permanent BFI screen and what's happened is that with OLED Motion Pro (BFI) set to HIGH, my CX can now only output 78 nits fullfield with OLED light at 100 and 6500k whitepoint.
I think that sounds about right. I never measured it, but visually switching between my calibrated 120 nits brightness in SDR vs turning on BFI and setting OLED light to 100 gave similar brightness level on the "medium" or "auto" setting. "High" to me was unusably dim even when the display was new. With most games I play being HDR capable these days, I have found no use for BFI.

My understanding is that these displays should have some reserve brightness so when the pixel refresh algorithm runs, your display should retain its brightness. How long, I don't know. I really can't say if my CX is dimmer after 2.5 years or not as I don't have anything for comparison.
 
I think that sounds about right. I never measured it, but visually switching between my calibrated 120 nits brightness in SDR vs turning on BFI and setting OLED light to 100 gave similar brightness level on the "medium" or "auto" setting. "High" to me was unusably dim even when the display was new. With most games I play being HDR capable these days, I have found no use for BFI.

My understanding is that these displays should have some reserve brightness so when the pixel refresh algorithm runs, your display should retain its brightness. How long, I don't know. I really can't say if my CX is dimmer after 2.5 years or not as I don't have anything for comparison.

I measured the brightness when it was brand new and high BFI only dropped it by a few nits compared to my non BFI 120 nits calibrated SDR setting so this doesn't sound right at all. Perhaps there's a setting that I forgot to change I'll have to investigate more later.
 
I measured the brightness when it was brand new and high BFI only dropped it by a few nits compared to my non BFI 120 nits calibrated SDR setting so this doesn't sound right at all. Perhaps there's a setting that I forgot to change I'll have to investigate more later.
Here’s to hoping. If not that’s a pretty substantial drop in just a few years.
 
Here’s to hoping. If not that’s a pretty substantial drop in just a few years.

Well to be fair I did disable ASBL the first week I had it and I've also been running HDR enabled in Windows the whole time which means OLED light set to 100 for the past 2.5 years, and on top of all that I pretty much treated my CX like a regular display in that I don't bother to babysit the thing at all because I just don't care about burn in so if some degradation has occurred then I suppose that's what I get haha.
 
I set the Contrast from 80 to 100 and that was able to boost the brightness up from 78 nits to 99 nits. Otherwise the rest of my settings look fine so I guess there isn't much else I can do to get it any brighter, let's just say after 2.5 years the max luminance with BFI on high has dropped from ~120 nits down to 100.
 
I set the Contrast from 80 to 100 and that was able to boost the brightness up from 78 nits to 99 nits. Otherwise the rest of my settings look fine so I guess there isn't much else I can do to get it any brighter, let's just say after 2.5 years the max luminance with BFI on high has dropped from ~120 nits down to 100.
How many hours? Do you have an idea?
 
Out of curiosity, what video setting do you guys use for movies in windows?

I have mine set to HDR user for games and it hit me that I might want a a different setting for movies.


What do you guys switch to? I know in Netflix, and the video apps it auto switches.

Thx!
 
Out of curiosity, what video setting do you guys use for movies in windows?

I have mine set to HDR user for games and it hit me that I might want a a different setting for movies.


What do you guys switch to? I know in Netflix, and the video apps it auto switches.

Thx!

Tbh, I don't watch movies on my desktop. Even though I have a HM Aeron for amazing comfort and a pretty sweet sound system...
 
How many hours? Do you have an idea?

It's only at 2339 hours so that's really not a lot given that some owners have already crossed the 10k hour mark! But like I said I did disable ASBL within the first week and It's been running OLED light 100 the whole time so perhaps that contributed something.
 

Attachments

  • 20230328_202556.jpg
    20230328_202556.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 0
It's only at 2339 hours so that's really not a lot given that some owners have already crossed the 10k hour mark! But like I said I did disable ASBL within the first week and It's been running OLED light 100 the whole time so perhaps that contributed something.
Damn that really isn’t a lot. But like you said you’re running full tilt so I guess that has to have counted for something.
 
Damn that really isn’t a lot. But like you said you’re running full tilt so I guess that has to have counted for something.

Yeah the CX wasn't the only display I've been using, my time has been spent moving back and fourth between it and my Acer X27, with the X27 being used more often since it took on the duty of any desktop work while the CX was purely gaming only and zero desktop activity. X27 has been replaced with a 32M2V at this point though and that's become my primary display now since it's what my 4090 is hooked up to.
 
Got my CX up and running now.

For work and personal use.

Fonts seem fine with Better ClearType Tuner with grayscale font-smoothing activated.

Disabled automatic dimming (TPC & GSR) to keep from getting blasted by white screens when I move stuff around.

Running 4K/120Hz/10 bit/Game Mode/BFI High on my personal machine. (My work machine basically the same, except it doesn't appear to support 10 bit. Also use some scaling there for myself and for screen sharing.)

I use very low OLED light in my relatively dim home office/bedroom. (As is my natural preference anyway.)

And aggressively use screen savers along with other mitigations. (Similar to how I treat CRTs.)

Wow...Amazing panel!

Obviously I'm very late to this party. Here after countless firmware updates and folks documenting their experiences and advice. Many thanks to everyone here and in the larger community!
 
Got my CX up and running now.

For work and personal use.

Fonts seem fine with Better ClearType Tuner with grayscale font-smoothing activated.

Disabled automatic dimming (TPC & GSR) to keep from getting blasted by white screens when I move stuff around.

Running 4K/120Hz/10 bit/Game Mode/BFI High on my personal machine. (My work machine basically the same, except it doesn't appear to support 10 bit. Also use some scaling there for myself and for screen sharing.)

I use very low OLED light in my relatively dim home office/bedroom. (As is my natural preference anyway.)

And aggressively use screen savers along with other mitigations. (Similar to how I treat CRTs.)

Wow...Amazing panel!

Obviously I'm very late to this party. Here after countless firmware updates and folks documenting their experiences and advice. Many thanks to everyone here and in the larger community!
Your being a continued die-hard CRT user giving the screen these accolades is worth more than you realize. Congratulations on your purchase.
 
Your being a continued die-hard CRT user giving the screen these accolades is worth more than you realize. Congratulations on your purchase.

I'm telling you man, a BFI OLED is the next best thing after CRT. On paper 3ms persistence vs 1ms persistence of CRT it doesn't look like the OLED would fair well but in real world use you will be hard pressed to notice that. A 240Hz BFI OLED would probably fully close the gap but until we have that, the CX/C1 are the go to displays for motion clarity + image quality combo.
 
I'm telling you man, a BFI OLED is the next best thing after CRT. On paper 3ms persistence vs 1ms persistence of CRT it doesn't look like the OLED would fair well but in real world use you will be hard pressed to notice that. A 240Hz BFI OLED would probably fully close the gap but until we have that, the CX/C1 are the go to displays for motion clarity + image quality combo.
You don’t have to convince me. My Viewsonic XG2431 has similar (probably a little better) persistence at 60hz and only if I’m nitpicking do I care about motion clarity still not being up to par with CRT. I can only imagine what it would look like if it had those OLED blacks to go with.
 
For one, we are using actual refresh cycles to insert the black frames. The more black frames we insert, the fewer image frames we can show. So even though we have this working at up to 240Hz, we can only display up to 120 unique frames – the other 120 frames are necessarily black (Figure 7). This means that while BFI is active, Spectrum effectively behaves like a 120Hz monitor. Albeit a 120Hz monitor with very little motion blur!

Another limitation of this method is that we don’t have nearly as much control over that balance between brightness and blur reduction. With every other frame, image persistence is 50%, and that’s it. Our firmware team is working on settings that allow a new frame every third (Figure 8), or every fourth refresh cycle (Figure 9), with the frames in-between being black. This would offer settings for 33% and 25% persistence respectively, and would further reduce motion blur. Of course, this would now not only reduce the brightness, but also the maximum frame rate (in these cases, down to 80 and 60fps).

https://dough.community/t/project-spectrum-bfi-coming-to-spectrum-oled/38266

I thought for a moment they were talking about achieving a persistence lower then 4.17ms, but I guess the monitor will be fixed at 240Hz. And that they're just talking about getting that same 4.17ms, but also at 60 and 80 frames/sec.

By the same reckoning, I guess the CX with its apparent 3.13ms of persistence at 120 Hz BFI High is in terms of motion the equivalent of 320 Hz. If I understand this correctly.
 
Back
Top