LG 31.5" 5k Coming late 2015

Ya, that is a more fitting size for 5K versus 27" IMO.

G-Sync can't run that kind of bandwidth. :(

They need a new beefed up DP 1.3 G-Sync this year!

You will need a GPU with 2 x displayport and you need to deal with MST(???).

Note that they are talking about an LG display panel planned but would expect LG, as a monitor manufacturer, to use it at some point too

as if 4K wasn't enough for diminishing returns with such high res on small monitors.. almost as ridiculous as 1440p on smartphones

I've say in front of a few 4k monitors, a 27" and a 32" ... guess what. You need to be superman to read that shit. Don't believe me. Look at your Windows task bar now. Pick any box. Now, imagine that box and text being 300% smaller. Yeah .....

I'm going with at least 40" 4k display maybe 47" or 49" I can't wait until March.

I've say in front of a few 4k monitors, a 27" and a 32" ... guess what. You need to be superman to read that shit. Don't believe me. Look at your Windows task bar now. Pick any box. Now, imagine that box and text being 300% smaller. Yeah .....

OS X handles these high resolutions amazingly well.

I'm still hoping that Windows can catch up in that department in the near future.

Also, your math is off quite a bit. Text on a 27" 4K monitor is roughly 163PPI, while a standard 2560x1440 monitor is 109PPI. That means that text on a 4K 27" monitor is 2/3 the size of the same text on a 2560x1440 4K monitor. Small, but nowhere near "300% smaller" or requiring superhuman vision. ;)

Last edited:
You will need a GPU with 2 x displayport and you need to deal with MST(???).

Note that this is just the panel, not an entire monitor.

With any luck, DisplayPort 1.3 will be readily available by the time monitors based on this panel come to market. DP 1.3 supports 5K without any MST tricks.

lol windows

5k is more like a highly detailed 1440p monitor (if you choose to scale at 2x, which is ideal, but its up to you), not a monitor for people with microscopes. if you have an OS that can handle it at least.

kind of feeling like i made the jump to hidpi too early... should have waited for DP1.3 and 5k...

OS X handles these high resolutions amazingly well.

I'm still hoping that Windows can catch up in that department in the near future.
Using a 15.6" 3200 x 1800 screen fulltime, Windows 8.1 already does.

as if 4K wasn't enough for diminishing returns with such high res on small monitors.. almost as ridiculous as 1440p on smartphones

I'm sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong if you tried to be, regardless of use scenario. For both desktop work and gaming, it's ridiculously beneficial and we are nowhere near the point of the extra resolution becoming less useful/providing gains for us yet. People made the same, equally ludicrous, argument back when 1680x1050 was a high-res LCD, then again when 2560x1600 was brand new, and now yet again with 4K coming into consumer price ranges. Sort of how people have been arguing that X megabytes or gigabytes of VRAM is needed/required for gaming... first 1mb was a good amount, then 16mb, then 64mb, then 256mb, 512mb, 1gb, 2gb, 3gb, 4gb, 8gb.... well, it's going to continue for quite awhile I'm sure ;).

Using a 15.6" 3200 x 1800 screen fulltime, Windows 8.1 already does.

This. Been using 4K since May 2014 and was on a 23.8" display, was smooth sailing with everything including a lot of dev applications, using 150-175% scaling. On my 32" monitor that I got in late November (4k IPS 60hz SST DP1.2 Acer B326HK) I don't even need to use scaling at all, I have it disabled. However if you do use/want scaling Win8.1 handles it perfectly and has for quite awhile now.

Last edited:
Windows 8.1 handles text perfectly fine at 4K @ 27". 31"-32" 4K is also fine. There's no real reason to stick with 100% mode with W8.1 (IMHO) - it scales properly up to 200%, which is much higher than you need at these sizes. At higher DPI, text looks much better, not worse, at the same size as the average 23-24" 1080p or 1200p display. Just because someone doesn't know how to setup their display doesn't mean that the OS/monitor combination is not suitable.

Windows 10 will have even further improvements for higher than 4K, high DPI displays.

Back