L4D2 Hard Rain revealed

Looks dull. I don't like the blood spatter on the screen , its too much. I'm not sure about this one. Looks to be more of the same which is good, but a game like this can get boring. Also from my observations the game is really geared more towards survivors this time around, it doesn't look very difficult ( standing in the doorway,with a chainsaw looks too easy) , which is bad. I am a fan of the genre and have always liked the feeling of helplessness that the survivors are feeling. I don't get that with this game, it seems to be more of a sandbox type game. I do like the fact that they have you do objectives , though. I don't know about this one.

Looks exactly like the first one with new characters, maps, and weapons.

While I loved the first one, it got boring FAST. Me and all of my friends haven't had the slightest urge to play since the first couple months the game was released.

They should have put a barricade system into the game, for atleast some of the lvl's. Like Zombie Panic Source , it would have added so much more needed tension to the game.

Looks good. I wonder what difficulty that was played on though. It did look rather easy, but potentially extremely hard with how open it is.

Lol whoever was playing in that video sucks balls. Meh Ill totally wait for 19.99 to buy this. The only thing that sounded cool from that video was the chance to crown 3 wondering witchs.

They were playing on normal mode with an xbox 360. Just look at the damages and nature of the camera motion. I always find shooters on consoles hard to do. I have over 350 hours on L4D coop, I haven't pre ordered this game but still plan on getting it. I don't play L4D anymore since all the expert players got bored and there are no more proficient people to play with.

I don't see the excitement in L4D 2. After pre ordering L4D 1 I will not make the same mistake!

I don't quite understand how anyone can say the gameplay is dull or boring. Yes, the Co-op campaigns might get a bit boring once you've learned the AI Director's tricks and know how to counter them, but there's still a whole lot of replayability there. Especially on Expert mode. The real meat on the bones of L4D is the Versus mode. It's probably the real reason why the first game was so successful. It's a bit like an American football game where the offense (Survivors) are trying to score a touchdown (Saferoom) while the defense (Infected) are trying to stop that from happening.

And as far as this game being geared towards becoming too easy for the survivors, it most definitely isn't. Especially when you look at the game from a Versus perspective with the huge changes to the gameplay mechanics introduced by the new special Infected "bosses"

I'm pretty excited for L4D2. I already have it pre-ordered and cannot wait to play it.

This video footage looks pretty good. I especially like the blood on the screen.

They should have put a barricade system into the game, for atleast some of the lvl's. Like Zombie Panic Source , it would have added so much more needed tension to the game.

that will be in L4D3 or L4D4 :D

I don't quite understand how anyone can say the gameplay is dull or boring. Yes, the Co-op campaigns might get a bit boring once you've learned the AI Director's tricks and know how to counter them, but there's still a whole lot of replayability there. Especially on Expert mode. The real meat on the bones of L4D is the Versus mode. It's probably the real reason why the first game was so successful. It's a bit like an American football game where the offense (Survivors) are trying to score a touchdown (Saferoom) while the defense (Infected) are trying to stop that from happening.

And as far as this game being geared towards becoming too easy for the survivors, it most definitely isn't. Especially when you look at the game from a Versus perspective with the huge changes to the gameplay mechanics introduced by the new special Infected "bosses"

Versus is boring and dull because there is little to no meta game for any sort of slight competitive play. For the most part it's just a big circle jerk and a complete crap shoot as to who wins. Not only that, if Survivors win map 1 without letting anyone through on their rotation is it next to impossible for the other team to come back unless they turn around and make it to the end without losing any survivors. Which is pretty difficult to do considering alls the infected has to do is focus fire the weakest link and you've lost that round. The way the points are tallied is retarded along with the fact that you can't really implement any strategy because the special zombies are randomly assigned; it just makes it more frustrating than it's worth. I'd much rather spend an hour playing 1-2 games of DotA/HoN/CS than having to suffer through an entire campaign of L4D versus.

Not to mention the fact most people just rage quit if they get dominated on map 1 because they know how pointless it is to try past then.

Last edited:
There was actually a barricade mod made for the game during the Left 4 Dead 1 demo.

Versus is boring and dull because there is little to no meta game for any sort of slight competitive play. For the most part it's just a big circle jerk and a complete crap shoot as to who wins. Not only that, if Survivors win map 1 without letting anyone through on their rotation is it next to impossible for the other team to come back unless they turn around and make it to the end without losing any survivors. Which is pretty difficult to do considering alls the infected has to do is focus fire the weakest link and you've lost that round. The way the points are tallied is retarded along with the fact that you can't really implement any strategy because the special zombies are randomly assigned; it just makes it more frustrating than it's worth. I'd much rather spend an hour playing 1-2 games of DotA/HoN/CS than having to suffer through an entire campaign of L4D versus.

Not to mention the fact most people just rage quit if they get dominated on map 1 because they know how pointless it is to try past then.

Left 4 Dead 2's score system has been revamped. It now rewards you on how skillfully you play, not on whether or not you completed the map.

I think the L4D points systems if good with a few small caveats. The health packs are to much of a bonus - map 1 Dead Air. We nearly stop the survivors all the guys are 30 or less bleeding but have health packs. We finish our turn as survivors 50+ normal health with 4 packs...score difference was less than 35-40 points. That hopefully is rectified in 2.

Have they indicated what "skill" means? It can't be something like accuracy but perhaps how many times counterpounced/how many don't get boomed each boomer or something.

I think the L4D points systems if good with a few small caveats. The health packs are to much of a bonus - map 1 Dead Air. We nearly stop the survivors all the guys are 30 or less bleeding but have health packs. We finish our turn as survivors 50+ normal health with 4 packs...score difference was less than 35-40 points. That hopefully is rectified in 2.

Have they indicated what "skill" means? It can't be something like accuracy but perhaps how many times counterpounced/how many don't get boomed each boomer or something.

Ya I'd prefer it based more on damage overall... not just how much health is left.

This should be an add-on for L4D 1. No way im buying L$D2 until it's at least 50% off.

i'm looking forward to L4D2, i'll buy it on release day. only real gripe is the lack of iron sights. i really freakin wish they'd add the ability to use iron sights and remove crosshairs.

This should be an add-on for L4D 1. No way im buying L$D2 until it's at least 50% off.
They're literally doubling an existing game world's content, if not more. I don't understand how you people are reasoning like this.

1. four new campaigns
2. four new characters
3. new weapons
4. melee weapons
5. new special infected
6. new gameplay modes
7. more story effort

The first title doesn't necessarily become obsolete. You still had fun playing it. Even if all you did was 50 hours it's only $1/hr. If they continue with this game world we may see future games with a linking plot to the first one. Sequels happen.

Did people bitch this much when UT2004 came out?

Personally, I like the post apoc genre and am glad when more and more media is created for it. I know most people ignore genres and only see the raw entertainment aspect, but when it comes to post apoc I like to really be involved.

i'm looking forward to L4D2, i'll buy it on release day. only real gripe is the lack of iron sights. i really freakin wish they'd add the ability to use iron sights and remove crosshairs.

I'd rather be able to customize the crosshair, say into a small dot. If you want accuracy while moving I suppose crouching might do it.

Did people bitch this much when UT2004 came out?

I did, having wasted money on 2k3 which sucked compared to UT99 :D

I am excited for this one though. Hope they dont nerf difficulties in any mode like the first. Let the server creator choose the difficulty instead of toning it down, its the Apocalypse dammit

I don't mean to sound highbrow or anything but it sounds to me like you need to stop playing pubs. You should try playing Versus with CEVO or Frustian modifications which remove all medkits from the maps and forces a tank every map.

What do you mean by nerf? Expert mode is practically impossible for 99% of the people I find online. Of the thousands of games I've played only like 4 times have I found people that can get through it without dying or being total screw ups. L4D2 is supposed to get some kind of "reality" mode I've heard. While it sounds interesting, if actually implemented on public servers it will strictly be known as "getting griefed" mode. Where you can never finish a game because everyone will fill your team's empty slots to simply kill you and ruin the progress.

Kim Swift (level designer for Portal and Left 4 Dead 2) revealed some details about Realism mode. Though all she said was that it removed the glow for survivors and items.

Also, there are over 30 weapons in Left 4 Dead 2 compared to the ~10 in the first one.

Kim Swift (level designer for Portal and Left 4 Dead 2) revealed some details about Realism mode. Though all she said was that it removed the glow for survivors and items.

Also, there are over 30 weapons in Left 4 Dead 2 compared to the ~10 in the first one.

Interesting...I never liked the glow around characters.

It's handy at times... because you'd spend too much time searching for teammates, but with this it makes it a little quicker...

But again, for realism it'd be nice to turn that off, along with most of the HUD.

I got it pre-ordered... paying $20 or $40 is not much of a difference for me... as long as the game is worth whatever I paid. I paid $50 for Farcry 2 and played 1 hour.. not worth it... paid $50 for L4D and played 50-75 hours ... worth it... paid $45 for orange box (mainly for TF2) and got a few hundred hours... worth it... etc.

I'm excited for this and borderlands, should provide enough entertainment until next year.

I don't mean to sound highbrow or anything but it sounds to me like you need to stop playing pubs. You should try playing Versus with CEVO or Frustian modifications which remove all medkits from the maps and forces a tank every map.

Just making it harder doesn't mean it has more depth, which was the point I was trying to make.

They really upped the game in story and ambience. The flooded ground was cool.

Other than that its the same game, a couple of more annoying special infected, some new weapon skins and some gimmicky and stiff melee weaps. Also I think that they emphasize too much on the cliche of 'making choices' - go over the rooftop or stay on groundlevel/pickup that gas canister first or that other one... boring gimmick

As said earlier in this thread, there should be a barricading system like in Zombie Panic Source. Sure it would be hard to impliment perfectly, and it should come as a defence vs tougher and perhaps slower/lumbering zombies (the frail normal ones would kill themselves trying to push over a filing cabinet lololol), but it would bring a whole new kind of tension to the game. L4D focuses on fast intense zombie like the ones in '28days later' - its a good movie, but it doesnt compare to the classic 'Night of the living dead' where the people just hole up in a house and we all shit bricks from the suspense :)

Last edited:
What do you mean by nerf?

Well I should have put fully what I mean... In VS mode now you only have limited difficulty settings so people dont whine and quit, which they do anyway. Every time I play I only have to worry about the players. When it first came out they had the hard mode enabled so that you had to worry about the AI as well as the people which even though I lost a lot had more fun playing.

1. four new campaigns

5 new campaigns actually :)

They're also improving the flow of campaigns... Right now, you move from one safe house to the next, and you restock health/ammo there. In L4D2, the safehouses will not necessarily have health packs and weapons/ammo dumps. They can be spread out further into the next level. So it isn't just a matter of making it to the safehouse now... you're going to have to think of the campaign as a whole instead of just single, self contained levels. Also have to make decisions about which items to carry, for example adrenaline or pills, ammo packs or medkits...

The versus scoring does need to be tweaked though... using the health of the survivors as a basis for calculating and multiplying scores is weak.

You really need to play with a group of friends or pubs that can actually communicate and use the microphone. If you think it's a "crap shoot as to who wins" and takes "no strategy" then I'm afraid you are bad at the game. Playing infected well requires strategy and timing, if you do not have this the only way you will kill someone is if they're quite bad and taking mass amounts of horde damage or their teammates do not help them at all. If you are playing as survivor and all four of you do not stick together and communicate on where you are going, where infected are, if they're getting pounced, etc then you guys will lose to any team that does.

When I play 8/10 times either everyone dies or everyone survives. It's pretty easy to come back from a loss.

Versus is extremely fun, but only if you have regular teammates that use the microphone and are competent; I refuse to play the game without friends and with all of us on my vent.

cape cod or miss vickies?

I'll be going by my local chippie, £3.50 for cod and chips :)

Yeah and about 10 of those are melee which are mostly the same weapon with different models. Try not to let the "new content" go to your head, it's obvious that most of the guns are simply the old ones with new models/sounds.

Back