Kingdom Hearts

I'm definitely interested, although I don't like the idea of paying $60 for games from a bygone era. They better have gotten a major upgrade (and have tons of configuration options) to justify that. A friend of mine bought one of the HD updates for KH1 on the Playstation and it was pretty bare bones. It felt like a 15 year old game ported to 16x9 and that was basically it.

I'm definitely interested, although I don't like the idea of paying $60 for games from a bygone era. They better have gotten a major upgrade (and have tons of configuration options) to justify that. A friend of mine bought one of the HD updates for KH1 on the Playstation and it was pretty bare bones. It felt like a 15 year old game ported to 16x9 and that was basically it.

The price is wack on this... And this coming from someone who would call this one of my all time favorite series.

1.5 and 2.5 for $50 actually feels like one of the better values. That's 100 - 150 hours worth of content. Sure, it's dated, but for the people into KH games that's a lot of content.

2.8 for $60 is a fucking joke. It was a joke when it released but people were so hungry for a new KH game that they paid it. BBS .2 is a 3 hour game. DDD is about 30 hours, and IMO weaker than 3 of the 4 games in 1.5 and 2.5. 2.8 should be $20.

3 for $60 also feels a bit steep. It's been down to like $10 on consoles. Then again, this is SE, they charge $30 for a 4 hour long DLC.

Im not surprised, SE likes to fuck people right and proper on the price of these games year after year. It obviously works.

If these are solid ports, I'll end up suckering up to play them all at 4k 60. Plus, I'm really hoping to see a modding community pop up.

I stopped playing this series midway through the first one when it came out on PS2. So, what's waiting another year or two to not promote exclusivity on the PC platform or give money to Xi.

I figure I'll wait for some reviews to make sure they aren't bare bones and the controls can be tweaked. At least the first KH game has controls that are opposite of most everything else these days, so I'd want some options. Beyond that, I'll probably look to sites like CDKeys and such.
The combo of 1.5 and 2.5 is definitely the one I'm most interested in.

Will definitely be waiting for a sale since I still have my old copies, but it''ll be nice to have them on PC eventually (and I haven't played KH3 yet at all).

I figure I'll wait for some reviews to make sure they aren't bare bones and the controls can be tweaked. At least the first KH game has controls that are opposite of most everything else these days, so I'd want some options. Beyond that, I'll probably look to sites like CDKeys and such.
The combo of 1.5 and 2.5 is definitely the one I'm most interested in.
This is SE we talking about. Expect bare bone port. 1 and 2 were great games. The 3rd one was a turd. Can't expect much from SE anymore.

Squeenix is the EA of Japanese publishers.
Perfect comparison. It is such a shame. They use too be my favorite developer. Now I just a huge hater. People can't see past their nostalgia and see what kind of a company SE has become.

Perfect comparison. It is such a shame. They use too be my favorite developer. Now I just a huge hater. People can't see past their nostalgia and see what kind of a company SE has become.
I'm still holding out hope for FF XVI. Last game they put out that I actually enjoyed was the Tomb Raider reboot, and that came out 7 years ago now. Seems like the company really took a nosedive after they restructured the it to boost sales of games in Western countries after 2013. Ironic.

I'm still holding out hope for FF XVI. Last game they put out that I actually enjoyed was the Tomb Raider reboot, and that came out 7 years ago now. Seems like the company really took a nosedive after they restructured the it to boost sales of games in Western countries after 2013. Ironic.
I have zero hope for xvi. It will be the first FF game I don't buy. Yoshi-P is in charge of it so there is no hope for it.

I didn't care for any of the FF games after 9. I forced myself to play through 10 and about 1/2 of 12, but didn't like them at all. I feel like they were never able to capture the charm of the older games once full-on 3D and spoken voice technology arrived. I never cared for the weirdly pseudo turn, pseudo RT combat from 12 at all. I couldn't even force myself to complete that one.

I didn't care for any of the FF games after 9. I forced myself to play through 10 and about 1/2 of 12, but didn't like them at all. I feel like they were never able to capture the charm of the older games once full-on 3D and spoken voice technology arrived. I never cared for the weirdly pseudo turn, pseudo RT combat from 12 at all. I couldn't even force myself to complete that one.
I agree. I didn't like the world of 12. It was the most forgetful of the FF. I don't get the love for 10 either. Everything people bitch and complained about 13 were started with 10. 16 looks terrible so far and I don't see it getting much better if the rumors are true it is coming out later this year. Hell I though it was a 14 expansion when I first watch the reveal.

The Kingdom Hearts games released today on PC via the Epic Games Store come with some features not found in the original console releases... Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 HD ReMIX features support for up to 120 FPS gameplay, an option to unlock the frame rate, dual audio, keyboard and mouse controls, and considerably faster load times...

https://twitter.com/Soraalam1/status/1376890899007934471

I'll be on the lookout for reviews of the first one at the very least. I'm hoping for half remake, half update. I want the core of the original game, but with modern controls/camera/visuals/etc.

The Kingdom Hearts games released today on PC via the Epic Games Store come with some features not found in the original console releases... Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 HD ReMIX features support for up to 120 FPS gameplay, an option to unlock the frame rate, dual audio, keyboard and mouse controls, and considerably faster load times...

https://twitter.com/Soraalam1/status/1376890899007934471
Looking forward to some performance charts. Hopefully 4k120 is possible on a 3080 (at least on the older titles)

Looking forward to some performance charts. Hopefully 4k120 is possible on a 3080 (at least on the older titles)
I don't see why a 3080 couldn't do 4k/120 on them all but this is SE we talking about here. They are going to be crappy bare bone ports.

Kingdom Hearts III | PC vs PS5/Xbox Series X (Backward compatibility) | Graphics Comparison

Decided to grab them all with the 20% off discount. It's been a long time since I've played them... KH1 in 4K/120/HDR looks absolutely fantastic.

I'm really going to enjoy replaying all these.

(side note: fps does radomly drop to 60, intentionally. Looks like there are certain things tried to the framerate, and while these things are on screen it drops. Better than being locked to 60, though)

Decided to grab them all with the 20% off discount. It's been a long time since I've played them... KH1 in 4K/120/HDR looks absolutely fantastic.

I'm really going to enjoy replaying all these.

(side note: fps does radomly drop to 60, intentionally. Looks like there are certain things tried to the framerate, and while these things are on screen it drops. Better than being locked to 60, though)
This game has real HDR support?

I've been experiencing weird stuttering and FPS drops in KH 3. Goes from 120 to ~5 FPS for periods of time here and there.

This game has real HDR support?

I've been experiencing weird stuttering and FPS drops in KH 3. Goes from 120 to ~5 FPS for periods of time here and there.

I don't believe HDR is supported natively. I'm on the latest windows insider build which has MS's auto HDR implementation from the Series X. It's not nearly as good as a proper HDR implementation, but it does still look good.

How are the controls? Can you re-map pad buttons? I recall the original games following a control scheme that is mostly no longer used and that being annoying for those going back to them. Can you move the camera around normally or is locked down and old school?

How are the controls? Can you re-map pad buttons? I recall the original games following a control scheme that is mostly no longer used and that being annoying for those going back to them. Can you move the camera around normally or is locked down and old school?

I'm playing with an Xbox pad. They're dated, but fine. Speaking strictly on KH1, don't know how the others are. It does have an option to control the camera freely. It's a little ridged, you have full 360 rotation horizontally but limited movement vertically. So while not fully modern, it's fine for looking around (I don't recall for sure but I don't think you could control the camera on PS2). Button mapping isn't an option that I've found, but it does have a controller calibration, maybe you could swap buttons by purposefully pressing the wrong ones (although you'd have the wrong button prompts on screen too). B is jump, A is attack, which does take some getting used to since the standard now is pretty much A to jump and X to attack for these types of games. Nothing I cant overcome, though.

Last edited:
I'm playing with an Xbox pad. They're dated, but fine. Speaking strictly on KH1, don't know how the others are. It does have an option to control the camera freely. It's a little ridgid (I don't recall for sure but I don't think you could control the camera on PS2), but it works. Button mapping isn't an option that I've found, but it does have a controller calibration, maybe you could swap buttons by purposefully pressing the wrong ones (although you'd have the wrong button prompts on screen too). B is jump, A is attack, which does take some getting used to since the standard now is pretty much A to jump and X to attack for these types of games. Nothing I cant overcome, though.

Good to know about the camera. The B/A thing was what I was thinking of. Pad control schemes that don't follow the norm are one of my pet peeves. Especially when you can't edit them. B/A is a minor offender, but I do wonder how much effort it would be to allow people to change their control scheme...or even just to have 2-3 options.

Good to know about the camera. The B/A thing was what I was thinking of. Pad control schemes that don't follow the norm are one of my pet peeves. Especially when you can't edit them. B/A is a minor offender, but I do wonder how much effort it would be to allow people to change their control scheme...or even just to have 2-3 options.

I just checked it out of curiosity, and you can fake it by calibrating the controller purposefully wrong. So, you can technically make A jump and X attack... By way of making the game thing X is A, ect. This affects everything though, meaning X would now be the select/confirm button instead of A. Not sure if that's better or worse, I'm going to try it for a bit and see how I feel.

It does allow you to select between Xbox, Playstation, and switch button layouts though, so that's at least a win for people playing with different pads.

If nothing else, hopefully someone can figure out how to mod the controls.

I just checked it out of curiosity, and you can fake it by calibrating the controller purposefully wrong. So, you can technically make A jump and X attack... By way of making the game thing X is A, ect. This affects everything though, meaning X would now be the select/confirm button instead of A. Not sure if that's better or worse, I'm going to try it for a bit and see how I feel.

It does allow you to select between Xbox, Playstation, and switch button layouts though, so that's at least a win for people playing with different pads.

If nothing else, hopefully someone can figure out how to mod the controls.

That's how the first Nioh worked. You could remap the buttons, but they remapped everything. I could probably do fine with X as the confirmation button, though. Those are the only buttons I'd really want to change, so it shouldn't mess too much up. At least assuming there aren't quicktime prompts or something like that. I can't recall if that was ever a thing in KH since I haven't played it in forever. The main thing I remember was struggling to beat some of the optional bosses at the end of the game. They were kinda like the "Weapon" bosses from the Final Fantasy games and you had to be super OP to fight them.

That's how the first Nioh worked. You could remap the buttons, but they remapped everything. I could probably do fine with X as the confirmation button, though. Those are the only buttons I'd really want to change, so it shouldn't mess too much up. At least assuming there aren't quicktime prompts or something like that. I can't recall if that was ever a thing in KH since I haven't played it in forever. The main thing I remember was struggling to beat some of the optional bosses at the end of the game. They were kinda like the "Weapon" bosses from the Final Fantasy games and you had to be super OP to fight them.

I also don't recall any qte stuff. Y has frequent on screen prompts, so best to leave that one as is.

The quick spell menu gets Janky since it shows the spell and controller button it's mapped to. If you never change them out, it's probably a non issue to just remember which is which, but if your constantly rotating out magic, I see that as a potential point of frustration.

Kingdom Hearts 4 announced

The next mainline Kingdom Hearts game, Kingdom Hearts 4, is now in development using Unreal Engine 5, Square Enix announced Sunday during a 20th anniversary livestream for the franchise...a new trailer for Kingdom Hearts 4 confirms the return of Sora, Donald, and Goofy for a brand-new adventure, and what Square Enix calls “an epic new storyline” named the Lost Master Arc

Square Enix also announced a separate game, Kingdom Hearts Missing Link, in development for Android and iOS devices. The mobile game features adventures set in the world of Scala ad Caelum from Kingdom Hearts 3 and battles against the Heartless...

Back