Kepler in March/April?

• Thread starter Deleted whining member 223597
  • Start date
I'd take it with a grain of salt considering the source, VR Zone doesn't have a great track record.

God I hope so, I'm really interested in seeing what team green has up their sleeve. I wonder if they've had to reevaluate things since the 7000 is such a beast.

That OP's link is a virus / trojan.. I've clicked on it twice and it started "scanning" my system like I had some kind of "infected" C:\ drive. But, I've also clicked on it a few other times and it took me straight to the article.. so, just be careful.

That OP's link is a virus / trojan.. I've clicked on it twice and it started "scanning" my system like I had some kind of "infected" C:\ drive. But, I've also clicked on it a few other times and it took me straight to the article.. so, just be careful.

Never did that for me...Make sure to use adblock on it I guess. Maybe it was just an advertisement.

Let's see, fastest card of one full generation to the next:

X1950XTX->8800GTX: +92%
8800GTX->GTX280: +63%
GTX280->GTX480: +51%
GTX580->HD7970: +30% ===> beast?

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/...rten-evolution/3/#abschnitt_leistung_mit_aaaf

Standards sure are falling :p

Hey, you're preaching to the choir, but comparing the 7970 to the 6970, it's a pretty damn nice increase. Overclocked (and i hate to compare overclocks, but these cards scale amazingly) it is raping everything. I am actually really rooting for nv, even though I own amd cards, I'm absolutely not a fanboy. I think amd made a mistake jacking up their prices so much, that's why I can't wait to see what Kepler does.

Hey, you're preaching to the choir, but comparing the 7970 to the 6970, it's a pretty damn nice increase. Overclocked (and i hate to compare overclocks, but these cards scale amazingly) it is raping everything. I am actually really rooting for nv, even though I own amd cards, I'm absolutely not a fanboy. I think amd made a mistake jacking up their prices so much, that's why I can't wait to see what Kepler does.

That's the problem though... once you start comparing against your previous work you lose site of what's important. Namely, what the market expects relative to your competition. You don't get to sell and have your GPUs reviewed in a bubble... they are sold in the context of what else is available.

I hope nvidia kills the 7000 with what comes next...then a few months later AMD kills them. Then so on and so on! :D

That's the problem though... once you start comparing against your previous work you lose site of what's important. Namely, what the market expects relative to your competition. You don't get to sell and have your GPUs reviewed in a bubble... they are sold in the context of what else is available.

Well even if we compare within the same company....

X1950XT->2900XT: +17%
3870->4870: +100%
4890->5870: +44%
6970->7970: +40%

The stock 7970 is not really impressive in terms of performance on a new architetcure and process. Don't understand why AMD was so conservative with default clocks or why people think it's such a huge improvement.

Let's see, fastest card of one full generation to the next:

X1950XTX->8800GTX: +92%
8800GTX->GTX280: +63%
GTX280->GTX480: +51%
GTX580->HD7970: +30% ===> beast?

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/...rten-evolution/3/#abschnitt_leistung_mit_aaaf

Standards sure are falling :p
AMD's top single GPU has been rather consistantly aimed at a slightly lower die size/power consumption footprint than nVidias. Barring a major snafu, evidence from prior generations indicates that Kepler will probably be 10-20% faster than the 7970 (~50-60% faster than the 580), and priced accordingly higher than the 7970. Hopefully most of the price gap will come from AMD having to lower its prices than them being able to hold steady at $500 and nVidia at $650.

They don't want to do a paper launch...? That's not very reassuring.

AMD's top single GPU has been rather consistantly aimed at a slightly lower die size/power consumption footprint than nVidias. Barring a major snafu, evidence from prior generations indicates that Kepler will probably be 10-20% faster than the 7970 (~50-60% faster than the 580), and priced accordingly higher than the 7970. Hopefully most of the price gap will come from AMD having to lower its prices than them being able to hold steady at $500 and nVidia at $650.

I agree, I expect the usual ~20% performance delta for topend single GPUS in favour of Nvidia over AMD once the dust has settled. I hope you are correct on the prices, I would hate to think that the absolute topend enthusiast single GPU would sell for $650 before the usual price gouging :(

AMD are simply making hay while the sun shines, once the full Kepler range is out I would expect the prices to settle back to what we have now.

Sure, that's the status quo. Now who's willing to bet Kepler doesn't improve perf/mm^2 relative to Fermi from an architectural standpoint, notwithstanding the move to 28nm? AMD would be silly to set 7970 pricing where it is today if they knew nVidia could match them at a lower price point so common sense dictates that GK104 won't come anywhere near Tahiti. We've seen nVidia make that mistake already with GT200 vs Cypress but AMD isn't known for such hubris.

Sure, that's the status quo. Now who's willing to bet Kepler doesn't improve perf/mm^2 relative to Fermi from an architectural standpoint, notwithstanding the move to 28nm? AMD would be silly to set 7970 pricing where it is today if they knew nVidia could match them at a lower price point so common sense dictates that GK104 won't come anywhere near Tahiti. We've seen nVidia make that mistake already with GT200 vs Cypress but AMD isn't known for such hubris.
Gotta disagree here. If AMD knew Kepler was going to smoke them, making as much money now as possible would be even more important.

Nobody is viewing anything in a bubble, I'm merely stating the obvious, that being that the 7970 is significantly faster the 6000 series. And in case you guys haven't bothered to read the 7970 overclocking review on the front page, it's up to 80% faster than the 580 in some circumstances. I would hardly call that unimpressive. Yes, it's overclocked, but honestly, how many people that dish out half a grand for a video card aren't going to OC the hell out of it when it's so easy to do?

Now, where I think AMD went awry is pricing their cards so high. Had this been a repeat of the last few cycles, where the AMD card was an amazing value compared to NV, they'd have this generation in the bag. Then, you also wouldn't really be comparing the 7970 to the 680 (or whatever it's going to be called), you'd be comparing it to their mid-range card. Being that they didn't though, it's pretty much gotta go head to head with whatever NV comes out with at that price point. Honestly though, I don't think Kepler is going to trounce the 7000 series. It may be slightly faster, but I really don't think it's going to walk all over it like the 580 did with the 6970. I could be completely wrong, but that's the feeling I get.

Gotta disagree here. If AMD knew Kepler was going to smoke them, making as much money now as possible would be even more important.

Depends on when Kepler gets here. If it's coming in 6+ months then yes it makes sense to ask top dollar now. If not, well....

And in case you guys haven't bothered to read the 7970 overclocking review on the front page, it's up to 80% faster than the 580 in some circumstances.

Careful with cherrypicking. If you want to play that game you can find examples of cards in the past that were 300-400% faster than their predecessors.

Careful with cherrypicking. If you want to play that game you can find examples of cards in the past that were 300-400% faster than their predecessors.

The average was about 60% faster than a GTX 580, so it's not far off to be honest. The price of the HD 7970 is perfectly fine with its performance, but this isn't the thread to discuss that its "overpriced" or that it's performance is only "20% more".

I hope nvidia kills the 7000 with what comes next...then a few months later AMD kills them. Then so on and so on! :D

Amen brother. I am hoping for this also. I got two 7970s and it's AMAZING how good it runs at 2560x1600. It's just starwars the old republic that is giving my crazy FPS. Could be the game. But battlefield 3 with all the bells and whistles enabled is amazing. Lets hope Nvidia comes out with a decent killer.

Honestly though, I don't think Kepler is going to trounce the 7000 series. It may be slightly faster, but I really don't think it's going to walk all over it like the 580 did with the 6970. I could be completely wrong, but that's the feeling I get.

I hope Nvidia doesn't pull that. Makes a big chip that is slightly faster but consumes/produces power/heat like crazy. Hopefully it's all about performance this round.

I believe that at stock speeds, Kepler will be faster than the 7000 series based on the previous years track record. However, the insane overclocking potential of the 7000 series makes it quite something.

I believe that at stock speeds, Kepler will be faster than the 7000 series based on the previous years track record. However, the insane overclocking potential of the 7000 series makes it quite something.

Of course, Kepler on 28nm might overclock pretty well also. Does seem like AMD was conservative with the clockspeeds though - kind of wonder why.

Of course, Kepler on 28nm might overclock pretty well also. Does seem like AMD was conservative with the clockspeeds though - kind of wonder why.

so they can release a new revision in a few months with increased clock speeds as an excuse to keep charging more.

Just remember 2 things peeps:

#1) Kepler's is suppossed to come with low end first and high end last, hence the June date Kyle was hearing.

#2) Kepler's 28nm is on an entirely different type of process, since AMD choose the low voltage one, and Nvidia choose the high voltage one, from TSMC.

That timeframe isn't exactly what I wanted, but it'll do.
Looking at the games on the horizon between now and then, I don't *think* any will especially need that additional horsepower.

Looking at the current AMD cards, I do like 'em, but I really have grown attached to Nvidia's 3D and the option to handle vsync in the control panel. Unless Kepler sucks, I'm staying green.

Once you have a target it's somewhat easier to aim. Nvidia can probably figure a way to surpass the 7970 if need be, but again like the 480, at some cost...

AMD is somewhat cash strapped from their CPU debacle, so they, like any proper company, want to extract maximum profits. I don't see nvidia undercutting AMD's prices though

Looking at the current AMD cards, I do like 'em, but I really have grown attached to Nvidia's 3D and the option to handle vsync in the control panel. Unless Kepler sucks, I'm staying green.

Uhh, you can handle vsync on CCC; it is called "Wait for vertical refresh" (that is what vsync is).

As for 3D, yeah i can guess that having to rely on Iz3D is annoying for some.

Look at the increase in power draw too. nV has been increasing power draw considerably on each new architecture while AMD has been holding fairly steady since the 5870.

I don't really wanna derail the thread but...

I have always wondered what could be achieved overclocking wise on air if you could fit a 580 cooler on an AMD card because of that.

I don't fool myself, due to the higher power draw, their coolers have to dissipate a higher ammount of heat, and yet they keep the sound and temp in check, so we can argue that they must be more efficient, and thus it makes me salivate about that What If...

Just listen to Kyle and quit reading this crap from fud, fart, and frap. Unless HE says the Top of the Line is coming out March/April, then June for that card it is.

When games are released on day 1, nvidia has a driver out. AMD, 1 to 2 weeks after. Has been since my first Radeon DDR to my last Radeon 1900XT to present day. All of you talking about HUGE performance increases 6 months after the 7970 has been released can stuff it. As like I said before, been the same line of Bullshit since the original Radeon. Besides that, why would you have to wait 4-6 months after release to get good drivers?? They have had working silicon in shop for 6 months or more before release. Remember the drivers for the Maxx Fury?? That was a hoot!

Its like there is a whole generation here now that didn't deal with ATI through the 2000's. Its no different. Should have been at rage 3D when a few of us got banned for asking Mr. Makedon about the hardware flaw in the T&L engine in the original Radeon 8500 64MB/128MB.(And other things they were do driver work arounds for.) No nasty comments, just really informative questions and answers THEY didn't want to hear. Banned and disposed of. That there is one of many reasons I do not put and ATI card in anyone of my family or friend computers to this day.

Another thing, the reason this things (7970) is over priced by a $100 is the BD cpu. IF you have one side of the company making money, a head start on the competition, and one side losing money, you have to try and make that up somewhere. (Basic business) ATI/AMD have a full quarter jump on Nvidia to make back some lost profit on the CPU divison through the GPU division. So instead of lets say a $100 profit on this card, its now $200. Go get it Lemmings!! :p

Another thing, the reason this things (7970) is over priced by a $100 is the BD cpu.

Overpriced vs some ppl's expectations, right price vs Nvidia ;)

Other than that, i agree that the BD fiasco must have quite a bit to do, as even a couple $$'s less could have made them win a few %'s more of market in the long time, but most prolly the profit wouldn't have been the same (heck, their cards are selling out as fast as they come so if they keep the momentum until the proper announcement of Kepler then they would still win the same).

Back