JVC harx700 - a poor mans ath-a900!!

start at 50% on the computers settings and go from there. some sound chips/cards software 'overdrive' the volume above 50% (x-fi does) and bass will start distorting even at low volumes

start at 50% on the computers settings and go from there. some sound chips/cards software 'overdrive' the volume above 50% (x-fi does) and bass will start distorting even at low volumes

50% in iTunes and 50% on the MacBook's output is already plenty loud as-is. Sending that to an amp will be... something else.

keep the itunes volume at 100%, a lot of media players' volume controls will sometimes reduce sound quality (by how much i have no idea) and then just tweak your system volume to your preference.

how do u change down to 50% on the computer settings?

On Windows, just use the system tray volume icon. On the Mac, just use the speaker volume buttons on the keyboard, or the volume icon next to the clock.

Quick update: I think I've fully burned the 700s in, and the bass and punchy lows have shown up even when the 700s are plugged directly into my MacBook. Strangely, some tracks have a little more punch than others. I'm on a Boat, for example, is surprisingly less "strong" than, say, Seeking Power.

I'm damn glad I bought these headphones. Great quality audio on a budget, amazing stuff.

I just got my rx900 after reading this thread. While I'm no audiophile, I must admit I'm pretty impress. Can't wait till they get burn in :).

Sorry for not reading the whole thread, just looking for a quick answer.
Has anybody in Canada found the harx700 or 900 for sale anywhere in Canada?
I did a quick google search and found nothing, nothing that looked reputable that is. :p

Sorry for not reading the whole thread, just looking for a quick answer.
Has anybody in Canada found the harx700 or 900 for sale anywhere in Canada?
I did a quick google search and found nothing, nothing that looked reputable that is. :p

For next time, you can use the "Search this Thread" box at the top right of the first post of the page. I just tried it (keyword: Canada) and I did find a few websites, however I have never heard of any of them before, and am not sure if they are reputable.

110220volts - JVC HA-RX700
110220volts - JVC HA-RX900

The Twister Group - JVC HA-RX700
The Twister Group - JVC HA-RX900

I am in the same situation as you though. I was really interested in getting these when I first heard of them, and I probably should've ordered from the U.S. then, but the exchange rate just sucks now compared to then. It's no longer worth it IMO when I hear about the prices for it in the U.S. and the free shipping, as apposed to at least $20 shipping, taxes, and brokerage fees for us. :(

Victor JVC HP-RX700/900 are the international versions. Exact same headphones, just different model numbers.

For next time, you can use the "Search this Thread" box at the top right of the first post of the page. I just tried it (keyword: Canada) and I did find a few websites, however I have never heard of any of them before, and am not sure if they are reputable.

110220volts - JVC HA-RX700
110220volts - JVC HA-RX900

The Twister Group - JVC HA-RX700
The Twister Group - JVC HA-RX900

I am in the same situation as you though. I was really interested in getting these when I first heard of them, and I probably should've ordered from the U.S. then, but the exchange rate just sucks now compared to then. It's no longer worth it IMO when I hear about the prices for it in the U.S. and the free shipping, as apposed to at least $20 shipping, taxes, and brokerage fees for us. :(

Great phones - I would've paid 100$ CDN for them, they sound around that price area. I bought mine off of someone from the US, no customs / fees or taxes.

Try doing something like that, because it'll be a lot cheaper.

The cheapest is off that site 110220 volts, they ship to Canada and everything (for fast shipping) is $76, around $68 with normal shipping. Not bad at all.

Can't expect to pay $32-40 CDN as that's what it is US.

Great phones - I would've paid 100$ CDN for them, they sound around that price area. I bought mine off of someone from the US, no customs / fees or taxes.

Try doing something like that, because it'll be a lot cheaper.

The cheapest is off that site 110220 volts, they ship to Canada and everything (for fast shipping) is $76, around $68 with normal shipping. Not bad at all.

Can't expect to pay $32-40 CDN as that's what it is US.

Which ones are you saying are worth $100? The 700s or the 900s?

And yea, I understand I can't expect to pay that much for it, so I'm still considering it though. I think getting someone in the U.S. to order it for me would probably be pretty good too, I'm just not sure who to ask yet. :p

i finally got around to trying the harx900. very bassy, recessed mids and highs. i much prefer the harx700-which i regret selling. the hadx1 blows away both. i put the 900 up for sale now :)

i finally got around to trying the harx900. very bassy, recessed mids and highs. i much prefer the harx700-which i regret selling. the hadx1 blows away both. i put the 900 up for sale now :)
This is the first I've heard about the hadx1. How is the soundstage?

Is the HADX1 a good for a future upgrade apposed to the AD700, Denon D1001, etc?

I didn't like the lack of bass on the AD700 but everything else sounded good.. want to know what to upgrade to when I eventually upgrade my RX700s.

the hadx1 has great tight bass, more bass than the rx700 and much tighter and less boomy. the mids and highs are much cleaner and more accurate. it is not as high detailed as the ad700 but still does very well. nice soundstage- about the same as other large closed cans. very nice for gaming!

the hadx1 has great tight bass, more bass than the rx700 and much tighter and less boomy. the mids and highs are much cleaner and more accurate. it is not as high detailed as the ad700 but still does very well. nice soundstage- about the same as other large closed cans. very nice for gaming!

Worthy upgrade for around ~$150 CDN max shipped? For music of course, I game but it doesn't matter much to me.

I absolutely love the RX700, but I need a pair of cans for my piano as well, so might move these to it when I upgrade.

i think the hadx1 is a good value. 150 canadian is about 112 usa? a little much-they can be had here for 80$ but i know canada can be tough to get headphones. half the headphones i sell on headfi go to the Great White North!

hey, can someone recommend a good amp for a high quality set of headphones?

I have the ATH-a900's, and am not really happy with the sound. I have it attached direct to my PCI-E x-fi soundcard.

might want to swap the x-fi for an asus xonar (has amp built-in) first and then see if you need an additional amp. alternatively, pick up one of the x-fi's with the front panel bracket with a bunch of connections. most of them have a headphone amp too, although I'm generally unimpressed with Creative's offerings since the Audigy ZS2 line.

some of the xonars have a headphone amp- actually just the essence stx. an x-fi is pretty strong for a sound card and should do well with the a900. try a "V" shaped eq and playinf with the bass boost setting
p.s. i have an x-fi and an a900 also

They're finally back in stock at Newegg. Despite all the audio crap I've bought in the past 3 months (in my sig) I still bought a pair of these. Hopefully they're good enough for me to sell my AKGs.

Well after reading about the HARX700 vs HARX900, I opted for the HARX900 & Zalmen mic for pc gaming headset. From what I read over at head-fi.org the HARX900 & HARX700 benefit a "burn-in" of 100 hrs before they are ready for use.

Heck, I was thinking about that Logitech G35 surround headset or some other gaming headset but after reading the good advice here and then following up on it at head-fi, I'm excited to see if the JVC HARX900 will better immerse me in my pc games.

Anyone else using the HARX900 for gaming?

I got my HA-RX700s today. So far, I am very pleased. I can't wait until they get fully burned in.

My 900 and Zaleman mic showed up last tuesday and for gaming it's been a great experience. The CSSM-3D for soundblaster turns my headphones into a surround sound that helps me identify where the action is coming from.

I listened to some music and depending on the type of music, it either sounded great or too boomy. However, for gaming it was perfect. On Day of Defeat, TF2, and Left for Dead everything worked great in multiplayer except in Call of Duty 4:MW I had a problem. In the game the sound level was easy to control but when someone spoke in-game there voice was amplified way beyond the sounds in the game. I couldn't find an option to reduce the sound level for voice chat in COD4:MW.

However, if your thinking about buying a gaming headset, get the HARX900 and Zaleman mic and you will be immersed in your game for sure. So glad I didn't spend over $100 on Logitech's G35 gaming headset, for $70 I think my setup easy curb stomps them!

Hrm, I was about to get a new budget pair of cans and I remembered this thread and the hooplah over the HAR-X700/900, I think I'm gonna order one of 'em, just can't decide between the two! :eek: Wish shipping wasn't such a PITA to Puerto Rico, shipping on the HAR-X700 costs more than the cans themselves, lol (obviously gonna end up ordering it w/free shipping thru Newegg to friend/family's placce in the US and have them send 'em to me). I'm reading thru the thread here and at HiFi, anyone wanna save me some time and give me the Cliff note's over where/how each excells? :p

The general consensus that I can see is that the 900 is way more bassy, and the 700 is more balanced.

My 700s now have about 30 hours on them and they are really starting to open up.

The general consensus that I can see is that the 900 is way more bassy, and the 700 is more balanced.

My 700s now have about 30 hours on them and they are really starting to open up.

The 900's supposedly also have a larger soundstage, making them better for gaming, and are a little more comfortable to wear (the 700's get hot since they are closed). You can tune the bass for either can by applying the TopPop mod:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/jv...ons-picture-tutorial-56k-forget-about-381303/

$34 w/free shipping for the X700 at Newegg and $55 w/free shipping for the X900 at Amazon, hrm... $42 and $60 respectively for the counterparts at Amazon/Newegg btw, in case you're wondering. Pretty amusing flip-flop on their pricing. Barely a $20 difference between the X700 and X900, I could care less about it... Just wondering which will suit me better for gaming. Edit: It's actually $55 +S&H at Amazon or $65 with free shipping btw, my mistake.

Edit: Reading the HeadFi thread isn't helping lol... Starting to read so many conflicting comments, like the X700 not being entirely closed for instance, and people claiming the X700 are better for rock... You'd think that would translate to games no? Guess it depends on what you're looking for, more controlled bass or better sound stage, hrm.

I have somewhat large ears and I wear glasses if that makes a difference at all btw. Long hair atm too though that changes with the seasons. ;) No amp either btw.

Last edited:
Just ordered a pair of HA-RX900's off of newegg to be used with my zune/comp..hopefully they get here soon

I'm not exactly an audiophile but I got the 900s and did the felt/accustic lens mod and they sound super clean even the bass. I'm using a HT Omega Halo card with them which I reccomend as it has a good built in amplifier and just sounds awesome.

Edit: Reading the HeadFi thread isn't helping lol... Starting to read so many conflicting comments, like the X700 not being entirely closed for instance, and people claiming the X700 are better for rock... You'd think that would translate to games no? Guess it depends on what you're looking for, more controlled bass or better sound stage, hrm.

I have somewhat large ears and I wear glasses if that makes a difference at all btw. Long hair atm too though that changes with the seasons. ;) No amp either btw.

As with anything sound related, it is all very subjective. What source will you be using and is getting a headphone amp an option? From what I've read the RX900's benefit quite a bit from an amp whereas the RX700's not so much. I only have the RX700's so I can't comment too much on the 900's, but after doing the TopPop mod they sound fantastic when used with my X-Fi (also modded). Here's a thread comparing the two, although it's still pretty subjective. Bottom line though, I don't think you can go wrong either way. Especially if you are just getting serious about audio.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1359675

i have both. i think the 700 is better. the 900 has more bass, but the 700 can handle a lot of bass eq'd and amped in

I could get an amp if it's gonna help a lot, but I doubt it'd be worth the added cost, 'specially if it means getting an amp and the X900 instead of just getting the X700... I'm gonna use this pair for gaming, with either a DX2 or an X-Fi (depends what system I'm gaming on at the time), maybe some music listening, but mostly gaming late at night. I've got other headphones I use predominantly for music so yea... Guess I'll opt for the X700 and see how I like 'em in lieu of the Senn headset I'm currently using, thanks for the comments guys.

Oh one last question, any speculation on the durability of the pads (X700 vs X900)? I know I can always replace 'em, but I've had headphones in the past where the cheaper plastic covering on the pads just flakes away in a matter of months (must be the heat/humidity here) and I'm left with just the cloth which obviously feels warmer.

both sets aeem fine. the 900 has softer pads.
an x-fi is plenty strong for the 700. try using a 'v' shaped eq and bass boost. pm me for seetings if u need help. the d2x probably needs a small amp

Back