JVC harx700 - a poor mans ath-a900!!

^should go for the RX700 depending on what you want the headphones for of course, but they're 47$ cdn. Would go for that rather than the 900's personally

Just got mine; tried them out real quick and it's like making sweet, sweet love to my ears!! :D

Just got mine; tried them out real quick and it's like making sweet, sweet love to my ears!! :D

I called it audio sex. :D
I am no audiophile, never really plan to be. But these with xfi titanium I will be deaf sooner than later. I was disappointed with these and my onboard. Titanium made the difference and its ability to drive them.
Gaming is better too.
I was asked to stop sound whoring a few times already.
The only downside to these is my older mp3s (128) don't sound as good as they used too. :rolleyes:
Can really start to tell a difference 192 and above.

lol I love them. :)
Can really start to tell a difference 192 and above.
I can hear a difference all the way up to 256, anything above that and it's hard for me too tell; I can also hear a difference between MP3 and AAC so I use AAC now.

Bah, Real men use .FLAC or .OGG. :p
All my music is in .FLAC and played back on Winamp

/offtopic

Anyways, mine started sounding better once they were broken in, I need to get a new soundcard since mine is no longer my own.

A few minutes ago my old, cheap set of Phillips $20 earbuds died. I've followed this thread off and on for a while, so I'm considering getting a pair of the 700s to try out. What's this about a break-in period? Is there a specific process for breaking them in, or should I just listen to music as normal?

Basically what the break-in period does is allow the drivers in the headphones to essentially "stretch their legs" These headphones sounded very muffled and the bass was pretty poor when I first got them, I gave them 12 hours of pink noise, and 6 hours of a 25Hz loop, and they sounded a ton better, much clearer, more detail and the bass was a bit better.

Everyone has a different way of burn-in but really... There isn't a wrong way, just make sure that the headphones aren't too loud. Burn in is just a fast way to get the headphones to their best in the shortest amount of time, so is it necessary? Probably not, but if you are impatient... Then it might just be essential.

Now personally in my opinion, to get the best out of these headphones I recommend modding them, it REALLY helps.

Basically what the break-in period does is allow the drivers in the headphones to essentially "stretch their legs" These headphones sounded very muffled and the bass was pretty poor when I first got them, I gave them 12 hours of pink noise, and 6 hours of a 25Hz loop, and they sounded a ton better, much clearer, more detail and the bass was a bit better.

Everyone has a different way of burn-in but really... There isn't a wrong way, just make sure that the headphones aren't too loud. Burn in is just a fast way to get the headphones to their best in the shortest amount of time, so is it necessary? Probably not, but if you are impatient... Then it might just be essential.

Guess I'll have to burn them in, then! Thanks.

Now personally in my opinion, to get the best out of these headphones I recommend modding them, it REALLY helps.

Trouble is, I can only find a modding guide for the 900s. As I understand it, the 700s are different so some of the guide's finer points (like the felt ring removal) doesn't really apply. Is this accurate?

Trouble is, I can only find a modding guide for the 900s. As I understand it, the 700s are different so some of the guide's finer points (like the felt ring removal) doesn't really apply. Is this accurate?

The procedure for modding the RX700's is basically the same. The only difference is that there is no plastic acoustic lens to remove prior to removing the felt. Once you take the pads off, you will see the exposed felt ring.

I recommend removing the acoustic lens and the felt. I did both and they sound great now. Really improved the clarity of the set only possible downside is it will decrease the bass volume some however I don't really like overpowering bass anyways.

I dont think the rx700 needs any mods done to them really.They already have so much clarity and great bass thump.I like them alot more for rock than the rx900.Now i will have to mod my 900s and see what the difference is.

I dont think the rx700 needs any mods done to them really.They already have so much clarity and great bass thump.I like them alot more for rock than the rx900.Now i will have to mod my 900s and see what the difference is.

Believe it or not, the RX700's can sound better :D

Well someone has got to show me a link so i can become a believer :)

As the saying goes, welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet ;)

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/jv...ons-picture-tutorial-56k-forget-about-381303/

Modding the RX700's as mentioned before is very similar. The only difference is that the 700's don't have the plastic acoustic lens. You will see the felt as soon as you remove the pads. I did all of the mods except the acoustic stuffing (since I like bass) and the sound got noticeably cleaner. Good luck! :)

Finally ordered the 700s this morning from Buy.com. The free shipping takes 7-9 business days, but I hope they arrive before the end of this coming week. I plan to do a partial mod, removing the felt and adding some stuffing, but no Dynamat additions. For one, it's expensive--I can't find anything for less than $20--and second I'm not sure how much it would help.

I'm also thinking of picking up a Zalman mic from Amazon to go with the 700s. Does anyone know how the Zalman mic connects to a PC? Standard microphone input jack?

Finally ordered the 700s this morning from Buy.com. The free shipping takes 7-9 business days, but I hope they arrive before the end of this coming week. I plan to do a partial mod, removing the felt and adding some stuffing, but no Dynamat additions. For one, it's expensive--I can't find anything for less than $20--and second I'm not sure how much it would help.

I'm also thinking of picking up a Zalman mic from Amazon to go with the 700s. Does anyone know how the Zalman mic connects to a PC? Standard microphone input jack?

I'm not sure what input it connects with but I'd be really surprised if it didn't connect to the standard mic input. I wouldn't worry about Dynamat if I were you, first it weighs down the headphones and second it is expensive like you said.

One thing to try when you get your headphones is remove the felt and without putting the plastic accustic lens back on try listening to it without. I find it gives a much clearer listening experience free of distortion. Of course the mods will weaken the bass but I feel like it balances the headphone set much better then the stock headphones do since it comes with overpowering bass stock.

Got my 700s last Thursday. They're pretty good so far, but I'm not sure they're the GREAT set everyone claims them to be, especially in terms of bass. The bass is actually weaker than I expected given how it's been talked up. Then again, I've only burned these things in for about.... 55 hours, perhaps? 45 to go until the magic 100 hour mark.

If you're looking for car audio bass that sounds like the ass of God just let out some gas, then don't listen to headphones. Period. Except for the Darth Beyers.

If you're looking for clean, tight, controlled bass, then these are actually pretty good. Not the best, obviously, but decent. Especially for the price.

Got my 700s last Thursday. They're pretty good so far, but I'm not sure they're the GREAT set everyone claims them to be, especially in terms of bass. The bass is actually weaker than I expected given how it's been talked up. Then again, I've only burned these things in for about.... 55 hours, perhaps? 45 to go until the magic 100 hour mark.

Using onboard? I noticed a HUGE difference moving to a xfi titanium from onboard.

If you're looking for car audio bass that sounds like the ass of God just let out some gas, then don't listen to headphones. Period. Except for the Darth Beyers.

If you're looking for clean, tight, controlled bass, then these are actually pretty good. Not the best, obviously, but decent. Especially for the price.

Thank you for putting words into my mouth. :rolleyes:

All I said is that the bass isn't (yet) what I was led to expect from reading this thread and the Head-Fi thread. I never said I wanted something that sounds like a ghettomobile.

Using onboard? I noticed a HUGE difference moving to a xfi titanium from onboard.

Plugged right into my MacBook's headphone jack. I'm considering buying a Fiio E5.

Alternatively, I have an old Audigy 2 I can plug into my gaming rig. Don't know if that would be any better than the Mac's sound chip or the Realtek HD chip in my gaming box.

Thank you for putting words into my mouth. :rolleyes:

All I said is that the bass isn't (yet) what I was led to expect from reading this thread and the Head-Fi thread. I never said I wanted something that sounds like a ghettomobile.

No problem. Anytime you need my services again, I will be here to help M-F 9-5.

Anyhow, I never understood people who complained about lack of bass or presence of bass in this or that headphone. They are HEADPHONES. You're not going to find much bass without overpowering your head with vibrations. They are meant to be listened to, not felt, unlike subwoofer bass.

Even as I love my K701 and Heed Canamp combo, the extra bass output, although substantial for a HEADPHONE, is nothing compared to actual speaker bass output.

Alternatively, I have an old Audigy 2 I can plug into my gaming rig. Don't know if that would be any better than the Mac's sound chip or the Realtek HD chip in my gaming box.

Can't hurt to try? A2 only takes a minute to plug in, install drivers. Call me a liar if it doesn't make a difference. ;)
I still think these something pushing them more than standard onboard. Night and Day difference to me.

Can't hurt to try? A2 only takes a minute to plug in, install drivers. Call me a liar if it doesn't make a difference. ;)
I still think these something pushing them more than standard onboard. Night and Day difference to me.

an audigy puts out a lot of power for a sound card. about the same as a portable amp. try it. make sure to install the software with the eq and bass boost controls. your bass will be there!

Anyhow, I never understood people who complained about lack of bass or presence of bass in this or that headphone. They are HEADPHONES. You're not going to find much bass without overpowering your head with vibrations. They are meant to be listened to, not felt, unlike subwoofer bass.

Okay, you're just bitching about a pet peeve without regard for what I'm posting. Glad we figured that out. Begone.

AintSkerd, ourfpshero, I'll install the Audigy 2 later today if I can find some Vista 64 drivers for the thing.

Alright, set up the Audigy 2, ran it through the latest version of Winamp with kernel streaming output version 3.63. The bass suddenly showed up to the party. Sounds great! The one problem is that I don't use my PC all that often--it's really a dedicated gaming rig, not a general use machine. That's what my MacBook is for.

Guess I'll have to shell out for a Fiio E5.

Alright, set up the Audigy 2, ran it through the latest version of Winamp with kernel streaming output version 3.63. The bass suddenly showed up to the party. Sounds great! The one problem is that I don't use my PC all that often--it's really a dedicated gaming rig, not a general use machine. That's what my MacBook is for.

or a HOTUSB1 :p

fair enough, have you tried EQing though? you might not even need the E5 if you can get good EQ setting, or is the macbook amp really bad?

MacBook audio has always sounded fine with me. The onboard speakers stink, of course, but that's to be expected.

I've got no idea how to tweak iTunes' EQ.

Not one to say "Told ya so" :p
Glad you have found a solution for your gaming box. Good luck with your portable solution. Let us know what you do and how it turns out. May be going fully portable soon myself.

Not one to say "Told ya so" :p
Glad you have found a solution for your gaming box. Good luck with your portable solution. Let us know what you do and how it turns out. May be going fully portable soon myself.

Well, it's not like the MacBook's sound chip is bad, I think the difference is just the power the chips deliver, which makes sense: desktop part versus mobile part.

My "portable solution" is probably just going to consist of getting a Fiio E5, hooking it up to the MacBook, then plugging my 700 into the E5.

My "portable solution" is probably just going to consist of getting a Fiio E5, hooking it up to the MacBook, then plugging my 700 into the E5.

Sounds like a plan. Still nothing incredible, but it will take a lot of the load off the Macbook's amp and hopefully keep you in a regime where neither generates quite so much distortion. It'll be good - and better, good for cheap.

Sounds like a plan. Still nothing incredible, but it will take a lot of the load off the Macbook's amp and hopefully keep you in a regime where neither generates quite so much distortion. It'll be good - and better, good for cheap.

I certainly hope so.

I'm not quite sure how to handle the various volume settings. iTunes has its own setting, the MacBook's speakers/headphone jack have their own systemwide setting, and then the Fiio will have its own setting. What are the guidelines there--keep the iTunes and system volume at 10%, and set the Fiio high?

Back