Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

Lets say hypothetically this deal is dead and the Dell is MSRP. Which one would you guys get? The Dell 2209WA or this LG 24" http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1385417&highlight=lcd?

EDIT: I just called again and a rep told me the "sale" ended last Thursday :(. But he told me their might be a sale starting next Wednesday.

Nice "secret" sale for HF users only it seems. Good thing we have some nice, vocal people here. I'm sure Marcus did quite well last week.

I'd take the Dell. The LG L245/246WP is now out of production, and LG RMA replacements are now TN panels.

Go with this, or wait a month or two to see what these new e-IPS panels bring. The 23" with 1920x1080 looks nice and I'm sure there will be a few good screens put out with that panel in them.

10e, the 20WMGX2 doesn't have any scaling options at all in the VGA input. It only has auto adjust which I'm not sure counts as scaling. I'm trying to hookup my Wii on other 16:10 monitors to see how it will show up.

Anyway this Dell seems like a winner so far. Maybe Dell will make 24-26" versions with more inputs and functionality and hopefully keep the standard gamut.

That's strange, because I always though all NECs had expansion options like fill, aspect, normal, etc.... Regardless, until someone gets a 2209WA and uses the Vdigi thing with the Wii, "we" won't know ;)

When you start receiving your monitors be sure to post some pics and reviews. I'm still waiting to see how good it actually is before I order, hopefully sometime this week.

When you start receiving your monitors be sure to post some pics and reviews. I'm still waiting to see how good it actually is before I order, hopefully sometime this week.

apparently the OP got his last week... but never posted pictures :-/

I get my monitor wednesday and will do my best to give a objective review against my 2005fpw. I have been waiting a long time for the right replacement, I hope this is it.

I got mine today and it's pretty incredible. Better in every way imaginable than my 226bw.

Better in every way imaginable than the 226BW you say?

Not surprising, I am looking at replacing this monitor currently, Was going to go with a 24", but I would rather move to an IPS panel, and this means that I am basically restricted to this monitor at the moment for pricing reasons. That 23" 1920x1080 LG looks quite nice, and I would appreciate the slight bump in size and resolution over my current 226BW, though I do prefer the 16:10 screens in general, but I am willing to overlook this in favor of a cheaper IPS panel. Any idea when we could start seeing monitors with this panel being sold in the US?

I got mine today and it's pretty incredible. Better in every way imaginable than my 226bw.
Have you ever seen/used a PVA or IPS panel before or always on TN?

Anyone else not getting tracking update? Mine is stuck at picked up status... but it's scheduled to be delivered tomorrow :(

Have you ever seen/used a PVA or IPS panel before or always on TN?

I've always used a CRT (still do for games, NEC FP2141), but my 226bw was the only LCD I owned, so always TN.

White is... so much more white on this display (compared to sort of an off white, almost brownish white on the Samsung), viewing angles are incredible, blacks are blacker, colors seem more accurate - it's just better in every aspect compared to the Samsung, which by the way was a Samsung panel.

I'll get you guys some pics in a bit, be patient =P

What do you want to see?

pics of:

side views, top/bottom views
possible backlight bleeding issues
color uniformity
uh... any other pics would be great to :)

tracking info updated really late on its own ;x

I'm interested in seeing the range of movement. It lifts up and down, right? Other then that cable routing would be nice.

I'm interested in seeing the range of movement. It lifts up and down, right? Other then that cable routing would be nice.

I made a quick video demonstrating the versatility of the stand, it's uploading now and should be available in 15-20 minutes, I'll post the link then.

Nice! Thanks! That shows off exactly what I was wondering. I'm ordering mine tomorrow. Hopefully i can get the ~$200 deal still.

thanks. we need more. :) especially gradient tests and input lag.

Could someone give me links to test images that show color gradient and such?

I've looked for a few gradient images but they're quite small, but even so there is no dithering like there was on my 226bw - this is obviously a true 8-bit panel, the colors are completely smooth and uniform.

Thanks steal... looks pretty nice... doesn't rise as high as I thought it would but looks pretty awesome.
Angles look pretty good from you tilting and swiveling it... :)

Oops, thanks. Used a few images from that site.

For some reason, a lot of the images produced some sort of screen-door effect. It didn't seem like adjusting the aperture made any difference, nor did the shutter speed or ISO (all pictures were taken with a tripod and ISO 80 to minimize noise), but it isn't present while actually viewing the display. Probably something to do with the anti-glare coating I'm assuming

lcd01.jpg

1.0s/F2.8, ISO 80

full size: http://home.comcast.net/~chthon/backlightfull.jpg

Some other images - The camera seems to exaggerate the color shifting when the display is turned, no idea why this is, so I wouldn't consider this a fully accurate representation of the viewing angles. In reality, they're much better than the camera suggests.

All images taken with 1/20-1/30, F2.8, ISO 80

lcd02.jpg

lcd03.jpg

lcd04.jpg

lcd05.jpg

lcd06.jpg

lcd07.jpg

lcd08.jpg

lcd09.jpg

This is my first time doing this so I hope these are alright for now. If anyone wants to post any images or something they would like me to take a picture of, I will gladly do so.

Of note is the fact that this display gets VERY bright. It was at 80/100 and 80/100 brightness/contrast out of the box, which I then upped to 100/100 just to test, and it was extremely bright, much too bright for normal use. I've since set it at 90/90 but it still seems a bit bright, I still need to tweak it a bit. It seems that upping the contrast to 100 seems to blue-shift the whites a bit, so 90 seems about optimal for very bright, clean whites without blue shifting them. 85 brightness is probably ideal for most light conditions, with possibly 80 being better for very low light conditions as when my room was dark while taking the pictures, the display was extremely bright :)

thanks for those.
gradients look pretty good actually (atleast they are good enough for me. I am on a CRT).

Yeah of all the gradients I viewed I saw no issues whatsoever as far as color banding goes, like I was used to seeing on my TN.

Also for those wondering how high the stand raises the monitor up on it's highest setting, the distance between the bottom of the display and my desk with it raised is approximately 5 1/8", and 5 7/8" from the bottom of the panel itself.

This doesn't sound very high but it seems extremely high to me - personally, I've never had a display that raises up this high nor would I need one :)

I do have my NEC FP2141 but there isn't any room on my desk for it right now as I've recently moved a 27" CRT TV in it's place.

I'm used to gaming almost 100% of the time on a CRT, so input lag/blur/ghosting is very noticeable to me. I play quakeworld at 1024x768 @ 140hz on my CRT most of the time, for example. The input lag, for me, I would think would be extremely noticeable, and as far as I can tell, if it is there, it certainly isn't noticeable at all.

Thanks for the pictures. Amazingly enough, I don't even see much of the usual IPS white/purple off-angle glow in a few of those (if at all?).

Probably something to do with the anti-glare coating I'm assuming...

How is the anti-glare coating, by the way? Is it the usual sparkly mess that Dell puts on their monitors? I had a 2007WFP for a bit, and the dusty/grainy appearance the coating gave on light colors drove me nuts.

thanks for making the video and uploading the pictures man.

where did you get the Earth picture?

I'm not really sure, I've had it for at least a few years in a background photo folder.

The anti-glare coating isn't a "sparkly mess" as I've seen on other Dell displays (laptops in particular, my old Inspiron 9300 display comes to mind), but it's not perfect. There is a hint of it, but it isn't too bad. Definitely tolerable to me and I'm pretty picky about these types of things. It's not noticeable on dark areas at all, mainly only on very light/white colors.

Interesting. Based on those pics above, this could also include the A-TW treatment. That would certainly make for an interesting display.

It's a special polarizing film that is put on H-IPS screens for NEC. It helps whites become more natural, and off-angle viewed blacks stay dark. Here's wikipedia.org's little blurb:

A-TW-IPS – Advanced True White IPS, developed by LG.Philips LCD for NEC, is a custom S-IPS panel with a TW (True White) color filter to make white look more natural and to increase color gamut. This is used in professional/photography LCDs.One such monitor to use this technology is the NEC LCD2690WUXi. I've also read Advanced True wide as well.

Thanks for the photos Steal.

What is the A-TW treatment, just out of curiosity?

I really don't get it... what exactly is wrong with this monitor to justify its measly $300 pricetag? Everything I've seen so far makes it seem like a minor miracle.

Back