John McAfee House Raided Megaupload Style

HardOCP News

[H] News
John McAfee has always been an odd guy but this latest story about a raid on his home in Belize is bizarre...even for him.

Simultaneously the houses on the premises were cleared, one of which was serving as a laboratory. Present on the premises at the time were John McAfee, his girlfriend who is a 17 year old Belizean minor, and five security guards. During the search ten firearms - seven 12 gauge pump action shotguns, one 12 gauge single action shotgun, one Taurus 9mm pistol and one 9MM CZ pistol - were found. Five air rifles with scopes resembling sniper rifles that use 6.26 mm slugs were also found and two hundred and seventy 12 gauge cartridges, thirty 9 mm rounds and twenty .38 rounds.

I just saw his place in March. We did the Lamanai ruins tour from a cruise, and his home, which looked like more of a compound, was near the entrance of the park. We did see all the dogs, they protect the dock, and I'm sure the property. There were close to 15 dogs when we boated by. Now it appears at least one less.

Yup, that just reminded me why I don't want to live in Belize. I know there are some powerful air rifles on the market but c'mon, they have to report that it looks like a "sniper rifle"? Oh, that makes it double bad. I bet it was black in color, too. Can't stand anti firearm laws no matter what country they originate in.

Yup, that just reminded me why I don't want to live in Belize. I know there are some powerful air rifles on the market but c'mon, they have to report that it looks like a "sniper rifle"? Oh, that makes it double bad. I bet it was black in color, too. Can't stand anti firearm laws no matter what country they originate in.

You see that is the problem with Belize. It doesn't matter what you have. It's illegal until you bribe someone to keep it. Maybe next time he will remember to grease the right palms or move to another country that isn't quite so corrupt.

Interestingly enough, he probably chose Belize as a place where he could do whatever he wanted. His problem appears to be that he got greedy and neglected to bribe the right officials. Lol, rich people have problems too apparently. They involve 17yo girlfriends and the illegal manufacture of antibiotics.:confused:

That creepy old turd had a 17 year old girlfriend?
Eh, its not illegal so why bug him about it. He's an older man with lots of money, yeah I'd be banging the young stuff too if I were in that situation probably as well :D

The GSU says McAFEE did have $19,650.00 in cash in his bedroom and say it was counted and secured by him.

Wonder if this is a typo and it that HAVE should be an HAD. Seems like they were just trying to rough him up for something, searching for illegal drugs and firearms? Doesn't look like they found any, wonder why they would even think he had any.

Lord. His statement sounds like he did absolutely no wrong and they treated him like crap, blah, blah, blah. Victims. Aren't we all?

I didn't see any pics of the girlfriend, though. She's almost 18, right?!

I also want to see said "airguns with scopes that look like sniper rifles". I might want to pick one up. :D Some of the anti-gun articles make the weapons sound so awesome and amazing until you see the actual gun and then are "meh. It's just a standard gun. Bastard media!". BTW: very off topic. Have you seen those airguns with the .50BMG style compensator? WTF?! Yea, my kids want one (can't afford a real .50BMG, which my 13 year old wants).

This really does sound like harassment by the keystone cops.

All the guns but one, had permits produced immediately (one provided later, but is in question).

One of the dogs used in the raid bit one of McAffe security, then turned on Belize coppers, and was shot by them.

They busted two security guys for no having licenses. That really warrants a raid with attack dogs.

The drugs are alleged to be antibiotics?

So the drug police are alleging he is making antibiotics? Is this the twilight zone?

I dont´t have any great love for Mcafee, but reading the article and doing some more Google searches about what happened raises a lot of ethical questions about the raid that occurred. Apparently it was conducted by the GSU, or Gang Suppression Unit, an "elite" security force that is the pet project of the PM of Belize. It also has quite the track record for brutality. At this point (even though having a 17 year old gf is creepy) I actually believe Mcafee's story of this raid being political because he would not give a "donation".

The drugs are alleged to be antibiotics?

So the drug police are alleging he is making antibiotics? Is this the twilight zone?
Not just any antibiotics but pirated antibiotics. Big pharmaceuticals are trying to outdo the RIAA. :D

Ok, technically antibiotics don't get rid of viruses......... but that shouldn't stop him from trying.

From the article.

"McAfee says it was to settle a political vendetta from a politician whom he would not give a donation to."

I believe it.

I like the Belize coppers style, pop the first dog you see and the rest fall in line. Wait...........

Anyway, bizarre story and it wouldn't surprise me if it was politically motivated but who the f*** manufactures antibiotics at their home?

I read up a little on the situation in Belize, apparently his mistake was a failure to donate to the local Orange Walk politician. The raid was just a shake down to show what could happen. The GSU are just enforcers they have running around.

From the article.

"McAfee says it was to settle a political vendetta from a politician whom he would not give a donation to."

I believe it.

That's how things work "down there". In fact, thats they way things work in shady American cities with corrupt policitians!!

You don't pay the right people, they try to make things difficult for you.

1. They make sure you're denied permits, licenses, etc.. for whatever you need.

2. Then they try to find a way to put you in jail.

My friend was dealing with this first hand in Mexico, when he was trying to open a bar.
Large nightclub owner pays local politicians. Local politicians make sure no other bars get liquor licenses, bulding permits, etc. in the area. (prime area of the city)

I wasn't talking about legality. 17 year olds just aren't adults, so it is a bit weird.

That's just my opinion.

and 18 is? i know some 14 year old more mature then a lot of 20 somethings ....

Zarathustra[H];1038688207 said:
Just because something is legal, doesn't mean that it isn't mad sketchy. he could be her grandfather...

Come to think of it, I just turned 32, and even if I were single, I would feel really sketchy and wrong if I went out with a girl younger than 25 or so...

and 18 is? i know some 14 year old more mature then a lot of 20 somethings ....

Er, no. At 32, I wouldn't even consider dating someone younger than 22. What exactly would you talk about with a girl that is 17? She probably isn't there to stimulate him intellectually.

Er, no. At 32, I wouldn't even consider dating someone younger than 22. What exactly would you talk about with a girl that is 17? She probably isn't there to stimulate him intellectually.

just pointing out how stupid picking ages of when some one is an adult with out know the person first but im sure in this case yea you can what ever you want

but being 18 doesnt magically make you an adult just saying hell another year im sure isnt going to make that girl any more mature ether

I lived in Orange Walk for 10 days a few years back.

Trust me... MONEY means EVERYTHING down there. As in no one has any!! Belize is poverty stricken and a third-world country. If you look at the stats, the medien income isn't that low, BECAUSE the rich are rich and the poor are DIRT-poor.

Trust me.... you can drive 10 minutes from Orange Walk and see people living in shacks made of old metal(the nicer ones) and sticks(the poorer ones) with NO electricity and NO running water. They sleep in hammocks to keep them off of the ground, they cook in their houses over an open fire and wash their clothes on rocks in whatever ricer or stream they can find.

Those guys in that "ARMY" could have been bought for maybe $10USD(or less) to do what they did. That is a good day's wages there.

Remember that ALL of North America isn't as prosperous as Canada the United States next time when you jump into your Lexus....

From the article.

I believe it.

I believe it, too. I don't think many people writing responses RTFA. It sounds like he is a victim.

I believe it, too. I don't think many people writing responses RTFA. It sounds like he is a victim.

Failing to read articles and then posting comments is par for the course on just about any website.

But yeah, seems like he didn't pay to play, and the people who wanted their cut decided to take it.

mcafeeturtle.png

I lived in Orange Walk for 10 days a few years back.

Trust me... MONEY means EVERYTHING down there. As in no one has any!! Belize is poverty stricken and a third-world country. If you look at the stats, the medien income isn't that low, BECAUSE the rich are rich and the poor are DIRT-poor.

Trust me.... you can drive 10 minutes from Orange Walk and see people living in shacks made of old metal(the nicer ones) and sticks(the poorer ones) with NO electricity and NO running water. They sleep in hammocks to keep them off of the ground, they cook in their houses over an open fire and wash their clothes on rocks in whatever ricer or stream they can find.

Those guys in that "ARMY" could have been bought for maybe $10USD(or less) to do what they did. That is a good day's wages there.

Remember that ALL of North America isn't as prosperous as Canada the United States next time when you jump into your Lexus....

you trying to make me feel guilty for living well? try again.

news flash, we live better on average than 90% of the people on the planet.

Sucks for them, and I hope it conditions improve, but, if the circumstances were reversed they would feel the same way. human nature.

And, for the record, I drive a BMW

Back to the topic, I don't have a lot of sympathy for Mr. McAfee, if you choose to live in a country where the rules involve bribing the local officials to "grease the wheels" better make sure you bribe the right ones....

you trying to make me feel guilty for living well? try again.

news flash, we live better on average than 90% of the people on the planet.

Sucks for them, and I hope it conditions improve, but, if the circumstances were reversed they would feel the same way. human nature.

And, for the record, I drive a BMW

Back to the topic, I don't have a lot of sympathy for Mr. McAfee, if you choose to live in a country where the rules involve bribing the local officials to "grease the wheels" better make sure you bribe the right ones....

As far as greasing the wheels.... they just had elections in Belize and a new party just got in, was the PUP now the UDP. He probably forgot to bribe the "new" guys! :D

As far as guilty?? I didn't expect anyone to feel guilty, but you should. :)

I do... NO I don't spend every waking minute thinking about it, but everytime I see pictures of those adorable little Mayans running around in bare-feet and thread-bare clothes I get a little teary-eyed. (see pictures all the time as I have friends there)

Every time I look at my little adopted girl (from Belize and Mayan) I vow that I will try in whatever way possible to help those kids some day. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but I've promised her(and myself) I would.

Back