It's Time To Embrace Wireless Gaming Mice

Anyway, a completely useless video I took.

This was recorded @ 240 fps, and slowed down 16x regular speed. Asus PG279q, Logitech G900.

The receiver is at the back of my desktop, roughly 4 ft. away. The latency is not that bad.

Replaced my literally worn to death G9X with a G900 a few weeks ago, after one of the chain stores over hear had a deal on them for around USD$70 and so far more than happy with it.

I've been using wireless mice for years with Razer Mamba and now recently with Logitech G900. The G900 is by far the best wireless mouse ever made, the thing is ultra responsive and I don't think anyone would be able to differentiate it from a top of the line wired mouse. Check out Rocket Jump Ninja YouTube for a great review of it:

"free from the weight and distraction of a cable" ahhahah

Wireless mice have their place near the HTPC. In my experience people who prefer wireless aren't the ones who play Quake and StarCraft. I've tried the MX1000 - super heavy and laggy. The G700 is a lot better but lag is till there. Also annoying buttons EVERYWHERE. Who likes these buttons

"free from the weight and distraction of a cable" ahhahah

Wireless mice have their place near the HTPC. In my experience people who prefer wireless aren't the ones who play Quake and StarCraft. I've tried the MX1000 - super heavy and laggy. The G700 is a lot better but lag is till there. Also annoying buttons EVERYWHERE. Who likes these buttons

Try a G900, I've yet to hear anyone say that there's any lag with it wireless, and there have been a lot who've tested it. It's WAY better than the G700 which I've also had.

The G700/G700s already does operate that way.

I was being sarcastic.

There are/were a good number of wireless mice with charging docks.

There are also a good number of wireless mice that can charge/be used when charging through a USB cable.

Try a G900, I've yet to hear anyone say that there's any lag with it wireless, and there have been a lot who've tested it. It's WAY better than the G700 which I've also had.

Spec sheet says it weights "107g mouse only". What does that mean, exactly? 107 without the battery or some additional weights?

These "gamer" mice are ugly as shit. It looks like it would be uncomfortable as well.

I still haven't found a mouse that is more comfortable for me than the mx518/g400

I have had a Logitech G900 for about 2 months now and I love this thing. It actually feels faster and smoother than my old G5.

Spec sheet says it weights "107g mouse only". What does that mean, exactly? 107 without the battery or some additional weights?

There are no weights and the battery is sealed so I think that's referring to the mouse as is. It really is light.

I generally don't care what mouse people use unless it affects me directly. Which it does, in certain multiplayer games. Have you ever been in a game that has a 10 minute boss fight only to have one of your raid team die because the batteries in their mouse or keyboard died? Signal failure? It has happened enough that if someone mentions they use wireless kb/mouse, I do not consider them a serious gamer (even offline that can screw over unsaved progress). I expect their hardware to fail and screw me over in the game at some point. Murphy's law and all that. ISPs, servers etc. can lag someone out and cause a loss but it is easy to control a failure due to keyboard and mouse battery/signal failure. It is called a wire.

I'm still rocking my Logitech G3 laser mouse. I won't use wireless because I just don't want to deal with batteries, charging, and every mouse on the market now feels weird. No ergo stuff for me it feels dirty

For me it has nothing to do with the length of the cable. You just end up feeling the cable "pull" on the mouse as you move it around, from desk friction.

We need a mouse that charges wireless and a mousepad that double as the charging pad.

Nobody said that. At least nobody smart.

Probably the same idiot that said dual cores were enough.

And that's a lie cause we know the best sound card ever produced was the SoundStorm on the Nforce2. In fact modern Sound Cards are worse because they instead use the CPU to process sound. So if anything onboard audio has gotten worse. The exception is the DAC has gotten better for onboard audio, but that doesn't change that onboard sound is just basically the DAC. The only sound cards today that even do hardware audio acceleration is Creative cards, and they rarely make it onto motherboards.

mcpt.jpg

You're using simple evolution in technology to compare that wireless is the next natural step in evolution over wired. It isn't that simple, because wireless is inherently problematic. Those problems aren't going to disappear. How many network admins wire their infrastructure with 100% wireless? Almost none. Why? Cause wireless is slower, insecure, breaks often, and costly. That can all apply to wireless mice, and nothing you say will change that. Not including the problems wireless mice have like recharging and extra weight for the battery. And batteries go bad eventually, and I bet most mice don't exactly allow you to replace it without voiding a warranty sticker, which btw those warranty stickers are illegal on devices to begin with.

I'm not saying there isn't a place for wireless mice, cause I use one for my HTPC, but not when I'm sitting 2 feet away from my PC. And technically a wireless mouse is inferior to a wired in nearly every aspect. Unless you need the wireless function it should be avoided. Same goes for wifi.

For the dual core part, I was told an E8500 was enough in a few forums. And I was wasting my cash on the Q series.
Yes, that was a list of things I was told not to invest in. The "norm" was better.

I don't expect network admins to add their already enormous headaches, using wireless, Bluetooth and WiFi.
But for the home user, the rules are relaxed. I will not use a wireless keyboard because any version of one sucks.
Wireless mice on the other hand has continued to improve. The best thing about them, like the G700 and G900, they can be used wired or wireless.

I have gamed on wireless mice for 10+ years, never noticed any lag or performance issues and I play competitively on and off.

I guess I'm the oddball here. I use wireless, too, but it's a Logitech m570 wireless trackball.

I can tell the difference

You can use a reaction time test to compare between wireless and wired: http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime
Note that you have to keep other variables constant as screen lag and human factors add in there as well.

With a Logitech G700s:
259ms average reaction time, 15 attempts - wired
250ms average reaction time, 15 attempts - wireless

fastest single reaction time was 230ms for both wired and wireless modes.

So I'm calling BS on your "I can tell" statement.

I was a wired mouse holdout. I tried many wireless mice but never really liked them. Some crappy dell mouse I used for years of very little gaming had a cable. Then went to G500S with cable which drowned during transportation.

Tried the MX Master after hearing good things... I am a wireless convert. It is the best mouse I've ever used. It's not a gimmicky gaming mouse, it's a serious professional mouse that can also double up for gaming duty.
Only issue was first gen MX masters had weak ratchets and I killed two in a few days. It's being replaced again and I'll see how it goes. Other than that, perfect functionality and ergo and I have bigger hands.
Works on glass/transparent crap/cloth/weird undulating surfaces.

How I set my mouse up - thumb wheel is volume/or hold thumb click and left right with thumb scroll being horizontal window scroll. Hold thumb click up/down is zoom in out. Middle scroll wheel click is DPi change (~8000 to 2000 or whatever I have it set at). Rear middle button is ratchet freescroll/graduiated scroll (MX master has auto spinning ratchet function - this is what I work out on V1.0 doing heavy CAD). Back/forward buttons as is.

This is a pretty good 'sit on couch with just a mouse' multimedia control solution, browsing, playing videos etc. No remote. No keyboard - just a mouse - an MX master, a wireless mouse used by someone who hated them his entire life.

Oh yeah, it gets 2-4 weeks depending on use and can be charged while using it unlike fucking crapple. It also charges pretty quick on a 2A charger vs USB 2 ports.

edit: and range wise, as long as it's not buried in a steel giant case, instead on a side mounted monitor port, I can often use it in my bedroom 10-15m away through a wall.. it will adjust volume from there.
Only time I've had lag issues was using it in a steel case without direct line of sight due to steel. These things are pretty LOS unless it's wood or plastic or similar.

Last edited:
I play twitch shooters and I want to eliminate all sources of lag between me and the game. So I use wired everything - mouse, keyboard, LAN and WAN.

Though I still suck at twitch shooters

I use a Asus ROG Spatha wireless mouse. Works great and is better than the old MS Sidewinder I was using before. The Sidewinder wasn't a top of the line mouse even when it first released, so not hard to be better than it. Compared to others? Haven't a clue. It definitely is a heavy mouse and a bit awkward to pick up. I had to disable one button, as I'd keep clicking it when I'd pick up the mouse to reposition.

I use the G700s (I like the shape) but I use it in wired mode. When in gaming mode with the 1000hz reporting it just eats the single AA battery. After I used it wired for 2 weeks the wire didn't really bother me and now I don't even realize it is there at all.

Last edited:
I find myself frustrated with Logitech of late. I have used a g602 for 3 years and in that time I have had to rma 6 of them for the same problem . the mouse buttons dying. if it had just been the g602 I would have been fine and moved on but I have replaced my sons 502 3 times and other Logitech mice the same number of times. Until they resolve this I am done with them. I really wanted to buy the g900 but at that price point and the fact that it uses the same tech as the 602 for the buttons no thanks

I find myself frustrated with Logitech of late. I have used a g602 for 3 years and in that time I have had to rma 6 of them for the same problem . the mouse buttons dying. if it had just been the g602 I would have been fine and moved on but I have replaced my sons 502 3 times and other Logitech mice the same number of times. Until they resolve this I am done with them. I really wanted to buy the g900 but at that price point and the fact that it uses the same tech as the 602 for the buttons no thanks
If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can replace the buttons yourself.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I bet you have a photographic memory too, and believe in crystals healing power, and reptilians!

No but I can taste the difference between Fiji, Dasani, Aquafina, Zephyrhills and Purelife.

Some people just have gifts.

I bet you have a photographic memory too, and believe in crystals healing power, and reptilians!

It's probably not possible to tell the difference between 100hz and higher refresh rates however back in the CRT days I used to have a beast mode monitor that could display 200hz at 1024x768. Visually, and perceptually I could not "tell" the difference however there was a clear advantage in my training sessions against nightmare bots, most of the time it was the difference between losing or winning comfortably. I stopped playing Q3 soon after I got my first LCD.

With a Logitech G700s:
259ms average reaction time, 15 attempts - wired
250ms average reaction time, 15 attempts - wireless

fastest single reaction time was 230ms for both wired and wireless modes.

So I'm calling BS on your "I can tell" statement.

When my wireless mice work, I can't tell the difference between wireless and wired. Unfortunately, I have lots of issues with them not working very well. To get around this I've salvaged a USB front panel cable that had external plugs on the end of it. I am using that as an extension to keep the receiver close to the mouse. This is working perfectly with my G602. Now I'm able to use wireless mice without having to plug the receiver into a keyboard. I ordered a Glorious PC Gaming Race modular mechanical keyboard so I could ditch these solutions with built in USB ports, media keys and other bullshit I don't want. I just wanted a plain, back lit and simple mechanical keyboard.

Back