It's Time To Embrace Wireless Gaming Mice

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

My Logitech G502 still treats me well, but after a desk upgrade that has pushed my tower away, I am seriously considering delving into a wireless mouse again. Coincidentally, here is an article that not only encourages that idea but also recommends what I had my eye on, a G900. The author suggests that wireless mice are better than ever, coming in at lighter weights and offering response times comparable or even equal to wired varieties. Now, there is still that pesky issue of keeping it charged—but that inconvenience doesn’t outweigh the benefits, does it?

It's time for PC gamers to embrace wireless. If you haven't followed wireless mice in recent years, this might sound crazy. But believe me: things are so much better than they used to be. The G900's wireless signal is strong enough to punch through a LAN party without interference, and it supports the same 1 ms response time as any wired gaming mouse. I literally can't tell the difference—except that I'm free from the weight and distraction of a cable. You almost don't notice, at first, but when you go back, suddenly being tethered feels so old-fashioned. Usually the cable is no problem, but when desk clutter builds up or a kink works its way into the line, that cable can tug your mouse somewhere you don't want it to go. Wireless is so freeing.

2. Ihaveworms

Ihaveworms [H]ardness Supreme

I have never felt hampered by the fact my mouse has a wire. Seeing as how I plenty of wireless devices already, keeping yet another device from spreading more noise on the 2.4ghz band is fine by me. I'll keep the wire for now.

Armenius, rat, almalino and 8 others like this.
  3. Gigus Fire

Gigus Fire 2[H]4U

Just get a usb extender. Not having to worry about charging is great.

Armenius, JosiahBradley and John721 like this.
  4. Nytegard

Nytegard 2[H]4U

I've finally adapted to a g900, after being a wired fan. It's really not too bad, outside of the buttons being a little flimsy. Not sure why they didn't just take the g502 design, which was my last mouse. The problem with the wired mouse, is that after awhile, the buttons wouldn't respond due to an error with the wire (without tugging the wire a bit), which hurt my performance in Battlefield One.

5. Nytegard

Nytegard 2[H]4U

With the g900, it comes with a wire if you want to have to charge while playing a game. The only issue is the connector is a bit thin, and I can easily see it breaking.

6. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

Armenius, Derangel and oldschool_7522 like this.
  7. Rahh

Rahh [H]ard|Gawd

The reason I need a wireless would be to sit on my couch and play on my television. Have they solved the distance problem with connection because that would be the only reason I need to be wireless.

8. James Robinson

James Robinson Limp Gawd

Would love it, problem is all the nice programmable mice are still wired, no scimitar wireless etc... Logitechs isn't BAD.. but its sadly lacking by comparison.

9. collegeboy69us

collegeboy69us [H]ardness Supreme

Been using my Logitech Performance MX for years... love it so much I have one at work, and one in my laptop bag. I've never had performance or lag issues and I play tons of BF1

Gorankar likes this.
  10. Jorona

Jorona 2[H]4U

Hmmmm... No. It's not.

Armenius and Ranulfo like this.
  11. Canon

Canon 2[H]4U

I'm a huge fan of my Logitech G700s. Never a wireless issue ever and you can easily plugin to use it in wired mode seamlessly. Most people are basing opinions on inferior or old wireless tech. The new Logitech stuff is solid....

Now my Razer Naga Epic... Epic failure. I had all kinds of wireless dropouts and weird crap with that mouse. I use it wired at work now... Do not recommend that mouse if you are looking for wireless.

BeavermanA and Armenius like this.
  12. zUg_zUg

zUg_zUg n00b

never really felt the wire was that bad. If it really gave you issues a mouse bungie always helped.

13. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

I can tell the difference. Somewhere this is a very technical article on wireless mouse whatever flavor and why you feel the latency vs corded.. They go in-depth about the different wireless tech, bluetooth, bandwidth, latency, etc and it's a pretty, honest, .... boring read.

The people that don't feel the difference are simply acclimated as the brain will adjust to the point it's normal natural sense of motion

Armenius likes this.
  14. DocSavage

DocSavage 2[H]4U

I forget what model logitech I have, but when the main left button started reading double-clicks when I single-clicked, I ordered new 10-Million-click rated microswitches off Ebay for like $5 for 10 and replaced them. Mice works good as new now! I will probably never go to a wireless mouse. The cord doesn't bother me and dead batteries, lag, interference all bother me. My online friends with cordless headsets are always having problems with them as well.

15. DejaWiz

DejaWiz Oracle of Unfortunate Truths

Been there, done that. Erratic (albeit rare) connection lag/micro freezes suck. I'll be keeping a wired mouse, thank you very much.

Armenius, rat, tetris42 and 1 other person like this.
  16. NickJames

NickJames [H]ardness Supreme

Too heavy and I don't like having to change batteries. My only issue with my wired mouse is that shitty nylon braiding Logitech does, starts to fray after a year and become a mess.

17. oldschool_7522

oldschool_7522 n00b

I have been using a G602 since they came out. Best gaming mouse i have used. I cannot tell the difference between wired and wireless when using the G602. I even bought a second one when they started selling for $40 lately. It travels with me and i use it at work all the time. I use a single amazon 2200ma rechargeable battery and have been getting 5-6 months of battery per charge.

I love not having to worry about a cable and the ergonomics of the g602 are great for my large hands. If these new mice are even better i don't know why you would want a wired mouse anymore.

I think wireless mice have been a good option since the g602 came out.

Derangel and [L]imey like this.
  18. Kalabalana

Kalabalana [H]ard|Gawd

G700 been working great for years
    Glad to see a new wireless mouse come out.
    A lot of elitism surrounding wireless mice (just like not having 100+FPS) but just like the FPS, people can't tell the difference.
    (Heavy FPS gamer here 10k+ hours in various games I've played competitively)

19. NickJames

NickJames [H]ardness Supreme

I can definitely tell the difference between 60, 100 and 144 FPS.

20. oldschool_7522

oldschool_7522 n00b

21. tesfaye

tesfaye 2[H]4U

I love my G900. Response is excellent, can't tell the difference between wired and wireless. It's comfortable and I prefer it without the cable attached. The sucky part is that you only get about 3-4 days per charge if you use the computer heavily.

Astral Abyss likes this.
  22. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow [H]ardness Supreme

23. Domingo

Domingo Skip My Posts

I've been a G700 (with and without the S) user for years. I'm more than happy with it. I'm sure some minor tweaks could make it a bit better, mainly related to sensor placement, but it's good enough for me 99% of the time. This isn't the 90's. Wireless mice are pretty great these days.
    In terms of charging, I just habitually charge mine every few days without thinking about it. It has a normal Eneloop battery in it, so if you're really desperate you can always pop in another AA battery.

MavericK likes this.
  24. gamerk2

gamerk2 [H]ard|Gawd

Same here; the G700 is a great mouse that you can charge via wire whenever it runs low. Best of both worlds.

25. Ducman69

Ducman69 [H]ardForum Junkie

Way ahead of the curve, with a G700. You can use it wired or wireless, but wireless means no possibility of snagging the cord on something, your cat trying to play with it while you're gaming, and just the weight of it dragging around on the surface of your tabletop.

What would be nice though is a wireless charging pad combo, so that eliminates the concerns with battery dying mid game.

MavericK and Darunion like this.
  26. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

All mice are wired, unless you have a arc reactor inside of it, eventually it will need charged and always needs charged during a game or while working.

The other option is replaceable batteries, i have switched most of my stuff to rechargables anyways but it seems like most new mice just come with internal lithiums.

27. canontk

canontk n00b

I was like all the above for years: wireless mice are stupid. I got a G900 and love it. I'll stick to wireless from now on.

I've used Logitech mice since the early 90's.

MavericK and heatlesssun like this.
  28. arnemetis

arnemetis 2[H]4U

II used my mx1000 for probably 10 years, until the middle mouse clicker under the wheel stopped working, that's a pretty important button for CAD work. I picked up a G700s and now that I replaced the stock battery with an Eneloop Pro 2450mah, I get two solid days of battery life out of it. Was hard pressed to get more than 8 hours out of the stock battery. Using a wired mouse now drives me crazy, even plugging mine in I hate the drag of the wire. Never felt these mice have ever held me back in work or play.

29. heatlesssun

heatlesssun [H]ard as it Gets

Got my G900 half price when it was on sale at Best Buy during Black Friday deals. Love the tracking, weight and size. Wireless really doesn't make a difference I can tell. I just wish it had more buttons and automatic free scrolling like the MX Master. But for gaming the G900 seems to be hard to beat at least for tracking.

30. heatlesssun

heatlesssun [H]ard as it Gets

The G900 will easily last a day of continuous use on a full charge and it's easy enough to use wired with a micro-USB cable. I've got one running out of my keyboard so there is no cable drag as the cable is short, thin and light.

Darunion likes this.
  31. DKS

DKS Limp Gawd

I have a G900. It nags me at 10% battery. I plug it in and unplug it a couple of hours later. No issues.

heatlesssun likes this.
  32. TechLarry

TechLarry Can't find the G Spot

The problem isn't wireless.

The problem is 99% of mouse designs these days are fucking stupid.

All sharp edged and shit. Logitech has gone way overboard with it.

Go back to the proven design of the MX518 and just update the electronics and leave perfect alone.

SvenBent, Ranulfo and File like this.
  33. DocSavage

DocSavage 2[H]4U

You can use a reaction time test to compare between wireless and wired: http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime
    Note that you have to keep other variables constant as screen lag and human factors add in there as well.

Kalabalana likes this.
  34. Makaveli@BETA

Makaveli@BETA 2[H]4U

The G900 sells for $200 CAD no thanks!

I will keep my MX master for work and G500 for home setup.

35. endalykt

endalykt Limp Gawd

My Logitech M505 could last 6 months on a pair of AAs. Can a wireless gaming mouse do that? No?

36. [L]imey

[L]imey [H]ard|Gawd

Another vote for the g602. Best mouse I've ever used, I have 2 and will probably buy 2 more for when production stops.

Derangel likes this.
  37. [L]imey

[L]imey [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah, my g602 goes that long on 1 aa battery.

38. bildad

bildad Gawd

I'm still using an old G400.

39. endalykt

endalykt Limp Gawd

The G602 is 250 hours on two AAs.

40. Ultima99

Ultima99 [H]ardness Supreme

Uh its 2017 and I've been using a wireless mouse for years and years....

Gorankar likes this.