It's Time To Embrace Wireless Gaming Mice

Besides not having to recharge, if you like a lighter mouse, wired is the way to go, since there's no need to store extra battery weight.

Umm... Yeah...

0389e2043d84c5a48362892147741a843bff7ad3444eb8ad061bb9a456dd9e71.jpg

To me, wireless technologies are nothing but a sometimes necessary evil.

It doesn't matter what the tech is. WiFi, Wireless Speakers, Wireless Mice/Keyboards, etc. etc. Wired is always better, faster, more secure, more reliable, less of a hassle, and you never have to worry about batteries running out.

I avoid anything wired if at all possible. If it weren't for the cell phones in my house, I wouldn't even have wifi.

The reason I need a wireless would be to sit on my couch and play on my television. Have they solved the distance problem with connection because that would be the only reason I need to be wireless.

As of my last distance test with Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse at least 3 years ago, I was able to get about 20-25 feet away from the receiver before it started losing signal.

The problem isn't wireless.

The problem is 99% of mouse designs these days are fucking stupid.

All sharp edged and shit. Logitech has gone way overboard with it.

Go back to the proven design of the MX518 and just update the electronics and leave perfect alone.

G9/9x was my favorite. I still have my G9 but it was starting to get long in the tooth. I actually had to remove the rubber coating a couple years ago because it started degrading and got all sticky.

Now I have a Corsair M65 Pro RGB. Better sensor, about the same button arangement, and about the same exact size at the G9/9x.

I do agree that most of the designs are really stupid. The newer Logitech mice are just a big turn off in size, shape, and design.

Wireless have been a worthy replacement of wired since Logitech G7, when they introduced the 1000hz polling rate, 1ms delay.

Stop nagging about that and get over it.

I love my G700, I'd never go back to a fully wired mouse. Absolutely no reason.

Still waiting for something to replace it that has similar ergonomics and button layout.

Why can't they also make a mouse pad that wirelessly CHARGES the mouse? Think about it.

Wireless gaming mice work just fine. (I have a Logitech G602 on both of my desktops.) I suppose if you are a competitive gamer, you would probably want a wired mouse.

Why can't they also make a mouse pad that wirelessly CHARGES the mouse? Think about it.
Or gasp... have a dock you stick the mouse in to charge it when not in use.

Or.. like the MX Master, have it able to be charged through a USB cable so you can still use it/charge it if the battery goes dead.

I still game on my old Logitech G5 (with 2 thumb buttons!!! Omg!!). Love the mouse. I've looked at other mice thinking it was time to upgrade and to get with the times.... Pshhh. Right now nothing beats it for me. If i could go back and pick 2 of them up I would have.

I have used a wireless mouse on my gaming PC for more than a decade. Back then, the batteries were good for three days; now, I don't think about the batteries for months at a time. In all that time, I can't think of any problems I've had related to the wireless features. No communications issues, no battery dying without warning, no lag (especially in the new ones with hundreds of polls per second).

Maybe people playing super twitchy games might tell a difference, but I sure can't. I'm currently using a 602 from Logitech.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Bring back the Logitech MX1000 or a equal variant thereof. I'm sick of lightweight 'gaming' mice which feel like a feather in my hand. And it better be reliable. The most reliable mouse I have ever owned was the MX1000. Currently using a G700 and it is close to a MX1000 yet not quite what I'm comfortable with.

The reason I need a wireless would be to sit on my couch and play on my television. Have they solved the distance problem with connection because that would be the only reason I need to be wireless.

Yeah, one of the few situations I do use wireless stuff is for my HTPC's. I have a couple of Logitech K400 integrated keyboards/touchpads. They work OK for limited use type stuff, like entering search terms into youtube, but I wouldn't use something like that on my desktop.

This article on PCGAMER was just fine but I'd kind of like to see HardOCP do an empirical analysis of wireless mouse latency with the current generation of wireless mice. Both Logitech and ROCCAT have recent entries into the wireless mouse arena that claim to have 0 lag. Make it so!

Bring back the Logitech MX1000 or a equal variant thereof. I'm sick of lightweight 'gaming' mice which feel like a feather in my hand. And it better be reliable. The most reliable mouse I have ever owned was the MX1000. Currently using a G700 and it is close to a MX1000 yet not quite what I'm comfortable with.

I agree with you there. I love my mice to have a little heft to them. My favorite was probably my Logitech G500 (and the G5 that preceeded it). They fit my hand perfectly, looked nice and subtle, and I could max the weight cartridge out easily.

I use a G502 Proteus Core now, and it's OK, but their older mice were better. It doesn't fit my hands quite as well, but it's acceptable. Also can't load it up with as much weight. I also hate how everything has to look like a futuristic space ship. I much preferred the G500 look.

I've been on wireless mice since the Razer Mamba and now the G700.
Still gaming like a beast. Only CS and TF2 players with 144Hz 1080p monitors can somehow tell the difference.

This article on PCGAMER was just fine but I'd kind of like to see HardOCP do an empirical analysis of wireless mouse latency with the current generation of wireless mice. Both Logitech and ROCCAT have recent entries into the wireless mouse arena that claim to have 0 lag. Make it so!

That could be an interesting test. I wonder how you'd do it.

Probably high speed camera with both a CRT monitor (to avoid monitor input lag) and the mouse in frame at the same time, or something like that.

I'm not making the move, too many factors moving against wireless to get me to move from wired.

Whats the downside of wired mice? you have a stupid wire?

I'm not making the move, too many factors moving against wireless to get me to move from wired.

Whats the downside of wired mice? you have a stupid wire?

Yes, the wire is stupid.

Someone like myself who game on a Ikea Galant and have their PC on another stand, the mouse cable will need to be extended, increasing latency aswell.
Wireless is less of a headache for those who have larger than average desks.

If your PC is within 2ft. of your mouse and monitor, then I can see your POV.

Last edited:
Yes, the wire is stupid.

Someone like myself who game on a Ikea Galant and have their PC on another stand, the mouse cable will need to be extended, increasing latency aswell.
Wireless is less of a headache for those who have larger than average desks.

If your PC is within 2ft. of your mouse and monitor, then I can see your POV.

Maybe I'm just old school, but to me the PC belongs at a proper ergonomically set up desk, with a desk chair and a monitor.

Sure, I'll use my HTCP's for movie watching, but my games stay at my desk. I want none of this "livingroom experience" the accessory manufacturers are trying to sell us these days.

People go with a wired mouse for many reasons. As a gamer, it's mainly cause of latency. But also not needing to charge it or worry about signal interference. Also the battery in the mouse makes it heavier, plus wired mice are cheaper. Some people will even go as far as to use PS/2 port to reduce input lag.

So yea, it's time to embrace my dick.

People go with a wired mouse for many reasons. As a gamer, it's mainly cause of latency. But also not needing to charge it or worry about signal interference. Also the battery in the mouse makes it heavier, plus wired mice are cheaper. Some people will even go as far as to use PS/2 port to reduce input lag.

So yea, it's time to embrace my dick.

People said at one point dual cores were enough for gaming, 1080p was enough, 4gb of ram was overkill and onboard sound would never be a viable option for gaming audio.
Times change but the skeptics tend to hold on until they can't anymore. Then in secret, upgrade and wonder why they didn't do it sooner.

People said at one point dual cores were enough for gaming, 1080p was enough, 4gb of ram was overkill and onboard sound would never be a viable option for gaming audio.
Times change but the skeptics tend to hold on until they can't anymore. Then in secret, upgrade and wonder why they didn't do it sooner.

People were right so what's your point?

That could be an interesting test. I wonder how you'd do it.

Probably high speed camera with both a CRT monitor (to avoid monitor input lag) and the mouse in frame at the same time, or something like that.

You wouldn't want to use a high speed camera with a CRT. You wouldn't be able to tell anything that way. But just a baseline of a wired mouse vs the g900 should be acceptable enough with an LCD. Seriously though, as has already been mentioned, a lot of issues with wireless are due to the older technology. Try a g900 out. I'd be very surprised if you could tell the difference.

Seriously though, as has already been mentioned, a lot of issues with wireless are due to the older technology. Try a g900 out. I'd be very surprised if you could tell the difference.

If I had an actual need for it I would. With any setup I want - however - my case is always within arms length of my seating position, so a wired mouse works just fine. I see no downside to it.

As I mentioned before, while I am generally opposed to wireless technologies when I don't need them in situations where wired solutions don't work, I'm not opposed to giving them a try.

People said at one point dual cores were enough for gaming,
Nobody said that. At least nobody smart.
1080p was enough, 4gb of ram was overkill
Probably the same idiot that said dual cores were enough.
and onboard sound would never be a viable option for gaming audio.
And that's a lie cause we know the best sound card ever produced was the SoundStorm on the Nforce2. In fact modern Sound Cards are worse because they instead use the CPU to process sound. So if anything onboard audio has gotten worse. The exception is the DAC has gotten better for onboard audio, but that doesn't change that onboard sound is just basically the DAC. The only sound cards today that even do hardware audio acceleration is Creative cards, and they rarely make it onto motherboards.

mcpt.jpg

You're using simple evolution in technology to compare that wireless is the next natural step in evolution over wired. It isn't that simple, because wireless is inherently problematic. Those problems aren't going to disappear. How many network admins wire their infrastructure with 100% wireless? Almost none. Why? Cause wireless is slower, insecure, breaks often, and costly. That can all apply to wireless mice, and nothing you say will change that. Not including the problems wireless mice have like recharging and extra weight for the battery. And batteries go bad eventually, and I bet most mice don't exactly allow you to replace it without voiding a warranty sticker, which btw those warranty stickers are illegal on devices to begin with.

I'm not saying there isn't a place for wireless mice, cause I use one for my HTPC, but not when I'm sitting 2 feet away from my PC. And technically a wireless mouse is inferior to a wired in nearly every aspect. Unless you need the wireless function it should be avoided. Same goes for wifi.

It might be the location of my computer but if I can't plug the wireless mouse receiver into a USB port on my keyboard it doesn't work very well. Plugging it into the back of my tower, or the front creates horrible latency problems and even a total lack of response for brief intervals. Unfortunately, these intervals occur many times per minute. Its unusable. Even with my tower up on the desk, it didn't work very well. With it on the floor, it doesn't work well enough to use for simple tasks like web browsing. It sucks because I either have to use a wired mouse or keyboard that has a USB port on it. I'm not really fond of either solution. I do like my G602 though. It works great on my test bench, my laptop or any other application besides my main gaming rig. I do use it on that machine but only because the Corsair K70 Lux (red) has the USB port on it. I've got a Ducky Shine Zero I'd rather be using but I can't because it has no USB port.

I have a Corsair Scimitar but I can't stand the fucking software for that.

Totally love my G700s. I don't play FPS stuff and I get the speed I need even over wireless. Only quibble (if it even really rises to that level) is that it eats up two USB ports but I did plan ahead and ensure I had enough USB ports when I built my rig.

Q: Those with a G700/G700s, any suggestions on larger mAh batteries? Using the stock ones and wouldn't overly mind some slightly beefier ones.

I literally can't tell the difference—except that I'm free from the weight and distraction of a cable.

Weight of the cable? How about the weight of the batteries, that was always my issue with wireless mice. But then I'll also crack open a wired mouse to take out the extra lead weights some manufacturers put in them. Anyway with that and having to recharge, I'd rather stick to wired.

Great wireless gaming mice have been around for about 5 years now. But if you want to be a top gamer, nobody puts top tier sensors in wireless mice. The sensors in good wireless gaming mice are still very good, but it's not the same.

I've had four MX1000's. Ergonomically, its my favorite mouse of all time. However, its wireless performance was shit for me no matter what computer or environment I used it in. I could always feel the lag with it. I returned the last one and any others were sold. I tried the MX Revolution and MX Master and had similar issues with it. My G602 is the best wireless mouse I've used but again I have huge problems with it depending on the receiver's location.

From the cheapest Logitech wireless m310 attached to my laptop to the wireless g602 on my desktop, I have never had a disconnect. Wireless offers superiority over wired any day of the week.
Zero latency and absolutely no lag plus instantaneous response. That's why people use them.

Back