It's here!! DFI Infinity P965-S

With ambient about 75F right now here's what I'm getting:

temps2.jpg

Notice I also have it OCed up to 3.0ghz, so the CPU temp is a bit higher. These actually look a bit better than they did before, maybe the AS5 is curing a bit? I still expected the CPU to be a bit cooler though with the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. Judging by these temps at 3.0ghz would you guys recommend trying for more? My processor is an L640, so it's not the best for OCing. :(

i just realized that i never plug the floppy power connector to the board...:p

testing OCCT now
@3800Mhz hopefully it will pass this time

good luck with that. i've found that the floppy didn't make a difference for me. then again i'm only using a single 7900

good luck with that. i've found that the floppy didn't make a difference for me. then again i'm only using a single 7900

ran orthos and while testing play marvel ultimate, got bloe screen after 30 min.
i can see the +12v has changed, from 11.74 to 11.83, i know the sensor is not accurate but there is a lil bump on the 12v :p

ran orthos and while testing play marvel ultimate, got bloe screen after 30 min.
i can see the +12v has changed, from 11.74 to 11.83, i know the sensor is not accurate but there is a lil bump on the 12v :p

nice. I mean while the sensor may not be "accurate" with regard to what you can measure 12v at at a molex, it may indeed be accurate in the sense that because of poor connections causing voltage to be that low where it's being used by the motherboard. Sorry that came out sounding really confusing. Hope you get the idea

That's good that you got the jump :). Are you using sli? I never checked before and after voltages, but I went from my enhance 500w to the ultra xfinity 600w and saw a jump in 12v.

I'm 11.83-11.9 and 4.89 now. Was about 11.64 and 4.73 or something with the enhance.

I really wonder what those 3 reserved jumpers are for by the cpu socket. hmm... maybe some day I'll get my dmm out and measure it

Personal result from Asus P5N-E SLI vs DFI Infinity p965-s

E6600 3600Mhz
Corsair HX620
Tuniq tower on Asus
Thermalright Ultra-120 X
Firestix PC8000 2GB kit

Asus 650i
60032mspistable54412235gw1.jpg

DFI 965
3600mhzsuperpi32minfiniwd2.jpg

DFI POWAAA

nice. I mean while the sensor may not be "accurate" with regard to what you can measure 12v at at a molex, it may indeed be accurate in the sense that because of poor connections causing voltage to be that low where it's being used by the motherboard. Sorry that came out sounding really confusing. Hope you get the idea

That's good that you got the jump :). Are you using sli? I never checked before and after voltages, but I went from my enhance 500w to the ultra xfinity 600w and saw a jump in 12v.

I'm 11.83-11.9 and 4.89 now. Was about 11.64 and 4.73 or something with the enhance.

I really wonder what those 3 reserved jumpers are for by the cpu socket. hmm... maybe some day I'll get my dmm out and measure it

im not using SLI or CF at this moment, but by plugging the FD connector helps.

heres comparison on QuadGT vs Infinity

DFI
3600mhzsuperpi32minfinibo5.jpg

ABIT
32mquadgtgf3.jpg

too bad the dfi has been OOS... i'd no choice but to pick up the Abit QuadGT, which i'm sure will be fun anyway. :)

Just fyi. Newegg, ewiz, motherboard pro should all have the infinties in stock by tomorrow. I already got an email from motherboard pro saying my board will ship today. So it looks like stock is in.

Although motherboard pro raised their price slightly. Newegg may be cheaper for some people now.

eWiz and motherboardPro got the board in stock... Newegg hasn't yet.
Since I am in CA, best price would be from motherboardPro, but there is one glitch;
there is no return policy on their site.

Can someone explain this if you have experience with them?

[ADDED]

Just found 'tiny' text under the spec of the board...

# Warranty
3 Years Manufacturer Warranty Only
MotherBoard Pro We will gladly assist you with the Return process!
* 15 DAY DOA
* Manufacturer Only

Do you guys think this is enough for secure purchasing?
I know I am sorta control freak :) but I want to make sure what I am doing.

eWiz and motherboardPro got the board in stock... Newegg hasn't yet.
Since I am in CA, best price would be from motherboardPro, but there is one glitch;
there is no return policy on their site.

Can someone explain this if you have experience with them?

[ADDED]

Just found 'tiny' text under the spec of the board...

# Warranty
3 Years Manufacturer Warranty Only
MotherBoard Pro We will gladly assist you with the Return process!
* 15 DAY DOA
* Manufacturer Only

Do you guys think this is enough for secure purchasing?
I know I am sorta control freak :) but I want to make sure what I am doing.

Motherboardpro is a great site. I got my board from them and I've found that customer service is great. They emailed me the day I received it to ensure everything was perfect, and whenever I called for order status the phone was answered immediately by a human. I also received a hand-written thank you letter in the mail before I even received my board with a coupon code for free shipping on my next order. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again, and would recommend them.

Thanks mZimm for your reply.

MohterboardPro was my final choice.
This morning, I was able to talk with "human," who answered every questions I asked (I think he got those question hundreds times..) nicely...
One surprise was they charged for CA residence since their CA warehouse (darn..)
By the way, they still offer "free shipping," so hurry to get one if you were looking for one. :)

Now I am happy camper waiting DFI p965-s Finally (I've waited this baby since last month...)
LOL

Just installed mines yesterday, board rocks ass.. My 12v rail reads 12.09 via bios :)

I just got a hand written post card in the mail from motherboard pro thanking me for my purchase and giving me a coupon code for free shipping on the next order lol. A thank you note that someone wrote by hand? Crazy service.

must be nice, I'm still putting my shiz together. lol

/kids take up too much damn time from my compu-love

//I want to benchmark toooo

Hi folks..

I am waiting my new mobo (DFI p965-s) and debating if I really need to get new PSU.

My setup will be following:
-DFI p965-s
-e6600
-4gb corsair ddr2 800 (4 sticks)
-eVga 6800gt
-two int HDDs inside rig [74gb / 300gb]
-two ext HDDs [250gb / 300gb]
-2 LCD display [24" / 21"]
and my current PSU is:
ANTEC 480 neo power...

Do you guys think will it be alright, or do I need to get larger capacity psu?
OC is planning but not too much...

That's the original NEO, right? I had dual 7800GTX and a P4 on one of those, so I'm sure you'll be fine. Tho that PSU got VERY hot compared to the newer NEO HE's.

I haven't plugged in the floppy power in either.

I am only at 3.4 GHz @ 1.37v with aircooling.

Does anyone have random problems when booting up? sometimes the screen will freeze before the memory check.

With ambient about 75F right now here's what I'm getting:

Notice I also have it OCed up to 3.0ghz, so the CPU temp is a bit higher. These actually look a bit better than they did before, maybe the AS5 is curing a bit? I still expected the CPU to be a bit cooler though with the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. Judging by these temps at 3.0ghz would you guys recommend trying for more? My processor is an L640, so it's not the best for OCing. :(

http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm

I made the mistake of putting on a little too much of the stuff on my first aplication, then I looked up the .pdf for how to do it right and my temps are much, much lower.

Despite the fact that I went out and bought an asus p5b-deluxe after being impatient for this board... I just ordered one off of motherboardpro.com.

Website seems uber cheesy and they only seemed to have paypal as payment method but we'll see...

I bought the Asus from fry's so I should still be within their return period!

Despite the fact that I went out and bought an asus p5b-deluxe after being impatient for this board... I just ordered one off of motherboardpro.com.

Website seems uber cheesy and they only seemed to have paypal as payment method but we'll see...

I bought the Asus from fry's so I should still be within their return period!

They are actually in the process of getting their new site up and running, and many people from this site have ordered from them with great experiences, so you need not be worried.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm

I made the mistake of putting on a little too much of the stuff on my first aplication, then I looked up the .pdf for how to do it right and my temps are much, much lower.

The instructions on there are for the CPU itself, how much would be good to use for the NB? I used much less on the second application than I did the first and my temps improved, but maybe I'm still using too much.

Don't know about the NB but from what I've read about the stuff is "less is more" seems to be a good rule to follow.

Another happy OC nOOb here! I've learned a lot in the past few weeks, finally hit my target OC (see sig)...still have tweaking to do for optimization, but very pleased so far! So, are C1E and EIST linked in the BIOS? Both on or both off? After I get things dialled in, I'm thinking of turning C1E back on to lower temps during idle periods. Thoughts?

Another happy OC nOOb here! I've learned a lot in the past few weeks, finally hit my target OC (see sig)...still have tweaking to do for optimization, but very pleased so far! So, are C1E and EIST linked in the BIOS? Both on or both off? After I get things dialled in, I'm thinking of turning C1E back on to lower temps during idle periods. Thoughts?
What is this...."idle period".... you speak of?

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1029061459&postcount=1

What is this...."idle period".... you speak of?
Apparently, it is the product of an antiquated mode of thought. I've been hammering my P4 1.5GHz for ~6 years doing intensive video processing, so I'm used to being at 100% all the time doing my own thing. I imagine I will now have CPU cycles to donate to the cause...thanks for the link!

About applying thermal artic silver 5, I always though you had to spread this across the chip itself? Thats the way I have always been doing since AMD XP processors? And also I just sw a post on how to get rid of the top of the CPU to bare copper then apply to all the chip? Is this method wrong? I thought the point was to cover the whole chip itself not just the middle where the processors are?

I'll still go with chiefvalue. I hate it when i have to enter all the information just to find out the shipping cost.

I'll still go with chiefvalue. I hate it when i have to enter all the information just to find out the shipping cost.

It's free shipping at motherboardpro, so you don't have to find out any shipping cost...

About applying thermal artic silver 5, I always though you had to spread this across the chip itself? Thats the way I have always been doing since AMD XP processors? And also I just sw a post on how to get rid of the top of the CPU to bare copper then apply to all the chip? Is this method wrong? I thought the point was to cover the whole chip itself not just the middle where the processors are?

You do want to cover the entire chip, but using the method of applying a small amount to the center allows the heatsink to spread it out evenly once it is mounted. This prevents air bubbles from forming as it is spread out from the middle.

Back