It Takes Two

I can't believe there isn't a thread on this. It's criminal, CRIMINAL I tell ya!

I'll get straight to the point. This is one of the most delightful games I've ever played. The graphics are something straight out of a Disney/Pixar film. Absolutely gorgeous. Voice acting and humor are top notch. Gameplay... Oh my the gameplay. This game has to break the record for sheer number of mechanics in a single game. It's absolutely ridiculous. Every chapter discards old mechanics and introduces new mechanics such that you are always playing something brand new. And the creativity is off the charts. It makes me feel like a child again!

I cannot recommend this enough. Games like this don't come along often which is a damn shame.

This does look quite entertaining. Will add this to my short list of future purchases.

Sorry , I just can't get into an intentional co-op game., they just require too much of my time to find a friend to play with. Most of them feel empty when you play solo.

And every developer's idea of what makes a good co-op game can vary drastically ( poorly thought-out Gimmicks like Tri Force Heroes would like to say "hello")

I was about to create a thread for this game myself since my wife and I just played through it together and beat it over the weekend. Definitely agree with OP; amazing game to play with friends/family and the amount of different gameplay mechanics here is insane given every puzzle is considerably different and your abilities change every level. I think we're going to play through it again with opposite characters now.

Sorry , I just can't get into an intentional co-op game., they just require too much of my time to find a friend to play with. Most of them feel empty when you play solo.

And every developer's idea of what makes a good co-op game can vary drastically ( poorly thought-out Gimmicks like Tri Force Heroes would like to say "hello")

This game won't feel empty because you have no option to play it solo; there's no option to play it without another person whatsoever. Which I think is good so people are forced to see how creative and fun this game is with another person. I don't see how any AI would be good enough to play through this game anyways with how many different ways you can tackle the puzzles and enemies throughout the game.

The time issue with finding a friend to play with doesn't really hold up if you have time to game at all, esp if you play locally with any family member already in your house like I did with my wife. I think this game would shine best with local co-op too, but could still be pretty fun with online friends too since the game stays split-screen regardless so you can see their character and actions to help coordinate timing and movements (which is crucial for most elements in the game). There's no gimmicks here with the sheer variety of mechanics and environments at play and there's virtually zero repetitiveness to it at all either, which is what makes it so impressive across a 10-12 hour play through.

It sounds like you just made a snap-judgement on the game based on a 30 second ad for it or something. If you have any friends or family to play with at all, it's worth checking out IMO. If not, then I guess you don't have much choice than to pass on it because playing by yourself is not an option here at all.

The only criticisms I have on it are the subjectively corny acting, esp. from the Book of Love guy that coaches you throughout the game. We were cringing a bit at the start, but it grew on us pretty quickly and we were chuckling along at it soon enough. The voice acting and animation are certainly top notch regardless of what you think of the script behind it.

Another thing to note is that although this game isn't cross-platform for multiplayer, you can at least play cross-generation within the same platform, so like I can play with PS4 players on PS5 (what I played it on), and Xbox series players can play with Xbone players too. Of course the 2nd player gets to play for free here as well.

Last edited:
I was about to create a thread for this game myself since my wife and I just played through it together and beat it over the weekend. Definitely agree with OP; amazing game to play with friends/family and the amount of different gameplay mechanics here is insane given every puzzle is considerably different and your abilities change every level. I think we're going to play through it again with opposite characters now.

This game won't feel empty because you have no option to play it solo; there's no option to play it without another person whatsoever. Which I think is good so people are forced to see how creative and fun this game is with another person. I don't see how any AI would be good enough to play through this game anyways with how many different ways you can tackle the puzzles and enemies throughout the game.

The time issue with finding a friend to play with doesn't really hold up if you have time to game at all, esp if you play locally with any family member already in your house like I did with my wife. I think this game would shine best with local co-op too, but could still be pretty fun with online friends too since the game stays split-screen regardless so you can see their character and actions to help coordinate timing and movements (which is crucial for most elements in the game). There's no gimmicks here with the sheer variety of mechanics and environments at play and there's virtually zero repetitiveness to it at all either, which is what makes it so impressive across a 10-12 hour play through.

It sounds like you just made a snap-judgement on the game based on a 30 second ad for it or something. If you have any friends or family to play with at all, it's worth checking out IMO. If not, then I guess you don't have much choice than to pass on it because playing by yourself is not an option here at all.

The only criticisms I have on it are the subjectively corny acting, esp. from the Book of Love guy that coaches you throughout the game. We were cringing a bit at the start, but it grew on us pretty quickly and we were chuckling along at it soon enough. The voice acting and animation are certainly top notch regardless of what you think of the script behind it.

Another thing to note is that although this game isn't cross-platform for multiplayer, you can at least play cross-generation within the same platform, so like I can play with PS4 players on PS5 (what I played it on), and Xbox series players can play with Xbone players too. Of course the 2nd player gets to play for free here as well.
I'm sorry man, if the best you can do to sell me on this thing is "you should make time", then you fail.

The wife already has too many scheduled nightly gaming distractions, so if you want her involved, the best hope is something you can join mid-game (e.g: child of light as the second controller)

I'm sorry man, if the best you can do to sell me on this thing is "you should make time", then you fail.

The wife already has too many scheduled nightly gaming distractions, so if you want her involved, the best hope is something you can join mid-game (e.g: child of light as the second controller)

I'm sorry man, if the best thing you can do to sell me on not recruiting your wife is "too many scheduled nightly gaming distractions" that don't involve you, then you fail.

Anything to bring my wife and I together in a game is a win for us, and this game is the biggest win we've had since Overcooked 2 came out and this is arguably better than anything we've played together period still.

As if that was my only endorsement of the game either, or that I care if you will dismiss any other's experiences over your obvious snap judgement of it given your criticisms that don't really apply to it.

Last edited:
Might consider giving this a go once me and the wife are done co-oping MH:Rise.

(Which will be a very long time if MH:World is any indication.)

I mean even if their relationship is on the brink of collapse, this is the game to fix it!

Its not the cynical relationship comedy (we can take it) - it's the twitch game-play that leaves my wife questioning her part in this game. that is why I say "2-player required" may have to turn into "phone a friend to continue"

my wife's idea of reasonable twitch is the flying in child of light (she sucks at precision aiming of the light, and asks me to do it). I tried to teach her fps through Portal, but she just didn't have the precision

she plays a mean game of D&D though! She also kicks my ass at any puzzle game that has me stumped

I*f you can tell me for certain rthat those racing segments don't get incredibly tricky, then this would be worth a go.

Last edited:
Its not the cynical relationship comedy (we can take it) - it's the twitch game-play that leaves my wife questioning her part in this game. that is why I say "2-player required" may have to turn into "phone a friend to continue"

my wife's idea of reasonable twitch is the flying in child of light (she sucks at precision aiming of the light, and asks me to do it). I tried to teach her fps through Portal, but she just didn't have the precision

she plays a mean game of D&D though! She also kicks my ass at any puzzle game that has me stumped

I*f you can tell me for certain rthat those racing segments don't get incredibly tricky, then this would be worth a go.

The game is very forgiving with aim-assisting where it snaps to targets when you get anywhere close to them, and also has several options in the controls menu for players to make things easier. Like different levels of camera following so you don't have to manually move the camera around nearly as much, which helped my wife a lot (but also gets in the way in some spots so I turned it down for her when needed), while I just turned it off since I'm adept with game controls in general.

I can't remember any racing segments in the game outside of some optional mini-games (of which there are a few throughout each level). You may be referencing the sliding on rails segments that look like racing in the footage. That is a common traversal mechanic throughout the game, but it's not racing and there's no skill involved there outside of some light platforming to other rails or swing hooks that is nothing more than tapping R1/RB to swap rails or attach to swing mounts at the right time.

If your wife likes puzzle games too, then there's a lot here that should entice her as well. You're constantly solving a plethora of different kinds of puzzles, some of which took my wife and I several minutes to figure out. But having played lots of puzzle games myself, I was usually able to intuitively see exactly what to do, while I know my wife would have been completely lost had I not been able to give her instruction most of the time. I thought most puzzles were generally easy while still being pretty clever and fun in how you solve them together, with a few occasional ones in each world that would take us a few mins to figure out.

the game is that good?...I literally never heard of this game until it won tonight at the Game Awards

the game is that good?...I literally never heard of this game until it won tonight at the Game Awards
I never heard of it, either. Though I have no idea who all the idiots featured on TGA were, or who the top Spotify stuff was, so I may just be old and out of touch.

Yes. Play it with a good friend / partner, don't take it too seriously, and enjoy. And especially enjoy the zero in game purchases, zero loot boxes, zero bullshit. Just pure straight up game like the old days.

Was very surprised to see this get GotY, esp. since it's a forced co-op game, but am happy that it did. It was def one of my top games of the year as well.

I just finished this game and let me tell you, it's a masterpiece. I don't use that word very often with gaming, and I might only give that privilege to less than 10 titles in my 30+ years of gaming. Yes, it's that good. The graphics are absolutely incredible. The gameplay is fresh, and there's always something new to it (new abilities etc.). Multiple times, per level, I would catch myself just shaking my head in wonder how they came up with some of the stuff they put into this game. Even the voice acting of the 2 main characters was great (the daughter, eh).

I played split-screen local co-op on a 104" 4k projector with a 3090. That really helped the experience. If you have the chance to play it on a large screen, do it.

Another thing that blew my mind was how well optimized this game is. My 3090 had no trouble running it at 4k, and even when I dropped it down to 1080p to see how much of a difference there was, my 3090 was barely working. I did a quick Youtube search and found this clip of 1080p max settings on a 1050 Ti. It runs at an almost constant 60 fps with that card:

Loved this game - it's a blast pretty much all the way through.

WHAT KIND OF PARENTS ARE WE

THIS IS OBVIOUSLY A TERRIBLE IDEA

HOW DID WE DRAW THIS CONCLUSION???

WHAT ARE WE DOING TO THIS POOR ELEPHANT

holy fucking shit.

I just finished this game and let me tell you, it's a masterpiece. I don't use that word very often with gaming, and I might only give that privilege to less than 10 titles in my 30+ years of gaming. Yes, it's that good. The graphics are absolutely incredible. The gameplay is fresh, and there's always something new to it (new abilities etc.). Multiple times, per level, I would catch myself just shaking my head in wonder how they came up with some of the stuff they put into this game. Even the voice acting of the 2 main characters was great (the daughter, eh).

I played split-screen local co-op on a 104" 4k projector with a 3090. That really helped the experience. If you have the chance to play it on a large screen, do it.

Another thing that blew my mind was how well optimized this game is. My 3090 had no trouble running it at 4k, and even when I dropped it down to 1080p to see how much of a difference there was, my 3090 was barely working. I did a quick Youtube search and found this clip of 1080p max settings on a 1050 Ti. It runs at an almost constant 60 fps with that card:

I mean the game runs at 1080p/60 on a 9 year old base PS4 too, so any current gen GPU is total overkill at any resolution up to 4K probably. Which is awesome for accessibility for anyone that wants to play it, but I imagine the majority of players will be on consoles playing this on local co-op. I think it would be pretty cool if they ported it to Switch too, but it doesn't seem that they have any plans for that still.

Another thing that blew my mind was how well optimized this game is. My 3090 had no trouble running it at 4k,
Lol

I have it on PS5. Been sitting on it for awhile. But will likely start playing in the next two days.

I hear the writing is very cliche with a couple cringey parts. But the game play is supposed to be good.

It won GOTY

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Writing is fine, if a little cheesey at points. I don't know if I'd call it cliche.

Anyway, the game itself is dope

how difficult is this for non-gamery people to play?

I wonder if my wife would play it. She played L4D and Portal 2 with me but that is the extent of her sort of gaming skills

how difficult is this for non-gamery people to play?

I wonder if my wife would play it. She played L4D and Portal 2 with me but that is the extent of her sort of gaming skills
There's quite a bit of platforming which can frustrate my wife but I would say the game is generally forgiving. Fail state is usually both characters dying and resuscitation time is short enough the other person can stay alive in that window for the respawn.

Back