IT Resume Thread

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by BobSutan, Jul 11, 2004.

1. mikeblas

mikeblas [H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2006

The letter seems reasonable enough to me, though I'm not sure my counter would've been my limit. That is, if you wanted 110, you might've asked for a bit more -- 115, say -- in order to settle on what you actually wanted.

Your letter is quite sincere, but you also don't mention what the problems are: in this forum, you've told us the commute is a concern, but you don't mention it in your letter. What if they stayed at $100, and said you could work at home, say, four days a month? There are probably other counter-offers along that line, and maybe even other lines where common ground can be found.

Had you thought of calling HR and negotiating over the phone instead of writing?

wolfofone likes this.
  2. TheMadHatterXxX

TheMadHatterXxX 2[H]4U

I did but the rep wasn't returning my call so I figured just write it and email it...they came back with 105 and I accepted. Still a decent 25k bump from my current position. (y)

3. Quartz-1

Quartz-1 [H]ardness Supreme

'On-boarded'??? WTF is that? If you trained them, say so!

'Drove development of multiple initiatives' - name them!

You might want the skills and certifications sections up top. If you want to progress up the management food chain, you might want to look at some education there. 'Taking evening classes in Management at XYZ college' or similar.

4. Gillette

Gillette [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for the feedback!

5. GhengisKhan

GhengisKhan [H]ardness Supreme

I started a new thread in genmay before being told about this thread, so I'm moving my resume over here. I hope it's not too dead in here to get some help.

I only do IT as a side job / hobby. My main career is as a Maintenance Technician, Mechanical and Electrical.

I think my resume looks decent, and I do get a lot of call-backs. But I was just wondering if there are any improvements you guys here could suggest.

The first one is my original resume from the other thread. The second one is the updated version due to the advice that I received there.

Attached Files:

6. AltTabbins

AltTabbins Muh Feelz Got [H]urt Right in the Pussy

Just a personal thing. I would change your font. Times New Roman is a great way of blending in. You don't want something flashy, but something more modern goes a long ways. I tried out a few and like Book Antiqua. Try a few out. As for format, I would look at some of the resumes here, see which ones you like, and try and model yours after theirs. Its what I did over a year ago to get my current job.

7. Quartz-1

Can you please turn those into PDFs?

8. GhengisKhan

GhengisKhan [H]ardness Supreme

Several of the places I have applied to specifically state no PDFs, but here you go...
    This is just the second version (what I'm sending to prospective employers)

Attached Files:

9. Quartz-1

Thanks. It's just that PDFs are less likely to get mangled. Anyway, your CV looks boring and is uninformative. All those jobs 2007 and before? Just put the job title, the employer, and the dates - just a single line each. None of your prospective employers are going to care about AEGIS, are they? Have you got any certifications? Up top. For each job you detail, put in 3-5 roles / responsibilities and 2 achievements (rule of 7). 'Maintained and repaired production equipment' tells the recruiter absolutely nothing.

Remember that it's the top half of the first page that tells the recruiter to keep reading.

I've attached the CV template I use.

Attached Files:

10. BobSutan

BobSutan [H]ardForum Junkie

How about that. I created this thread 12 years ago and it's still going. I do believe this qualifies as an [H] institution :)

Ur_Mom likes this.
  11. Ur_Mom

Ur_Mom I'm Not Serious

And it's a very informative thread. Very appreciative of all the hard work of the people helping out in here. :)

12. David-Duc

David-Duc [H]ard|Gawd

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  13. Quartz-1

Do you need to detail your immigration status? With your name and your origin, people will want to know. Your email address doesn't look like your name. Why have are you looking to change jobs so soon? Some blurb at the top might help here.

You should have 1 or 2 achievements for each job.

Do you really need to list the location of each job?

Keep all the sections together - the TNC Computer section should be all on one page. Consider just making it one line as it was so long ago.

Other than that, it looks nice and clean.

14. David-Duc

David-Duc [H]ard|Gawd

- I'm a green card holder so what do you suggest? I thought the only limitation is federal jobs and jobs that require security clearance, correct?

- Could you please elaborate more on the "blurb" part? Basically my current job is pretty much a dead end. We're still using Windows Server 2003 and 2000 Advanced Server here and managers without technical knowledge don't listen to their IT. The tipping point is one person (not my direct manager) that is really close to the president asked me to help download a pdf file from a ftp server, I download it and VERIFIED the checksum against the source, the file turn out to have a lot of corrupted pages and I got yelled at??? I wasn't hired to be a computer janitor.

Thank you very much :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  15. Quartz-1

I don't know American employment laws, but as I said, they're going to take one look at your CV and wonder about the legalities of employing you. So you need to reassure them,

I've no idea - I'm not American.

A carefully crafted couple of sentences about who you are and what you want.

Welcome to the real world. I was looking after NT 4 Workstation boxes as late as 2007, and printers and plotters from c1990. Remember that computers are tools that are doing a job. Replacing them is a business, not a technological, decision. Show your bosses that new technology will save them money - preferably within a year, two max - if you want to get things upgraded. You may also get increased respect and salary out of it.

A hostile working environment is never nice; you're right to be looking elsewhere.

David-Duc likes this.
  16. David-Duc

David-Duc [H]ard|Gawd

Here's a new one, try to consolidate it down to 1 page and add some more info. Thank you for your help :)

Attached Files:

17. Quartz-1

At the top, you are a System Administrator and an Information Technology Associate.

Is the location of each job important? For instance, you could have

Tidel Engineering - Rework Technician Aug 2013 - July 2016

and save yourself a lot of space.

Again, it's a decade ago, so for your first job just condense it down to the employer, job title, and dates.

Remember that it's the first half of the first page that gets you through the initial sift. Yours looks good but it needs a personal statement or something. This should be personalised to the job.

You can tighten things up a bit. You should also provide specifics:

Norman International Dallas – System Administrator, IT Support - July 2016 – Current
     Supported 80+ desktops and laptops: PC setup, imaging, active directory account creation, NTFS permission setup.
     Setup, maintenance, backup, and repair of network infrastructure (servers, switches, routers, NVR, PBX etc) to minimise downtime and ensure uninterrupted business operations.
     Improved reliability, cost-effectiveness and uptime of IT services, by XX% resulting in cost savings of $YYY,YYY.
     Designed network for new facility: optimized and consolidated servers using virtualization and VLANs. (Detail the savings.)

Giving specifics of the benefits - money saved most especially - is important.

Watch your grammar - in particular plurals, capitalisations, and punctuation.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  18. David-Duc

David-Duc [H]ard|Gawd

I really appreciate your help. Will iron out those over the weekend. I've been super busy but not in a good way. Doing others' jobs just because the VP want me to and my manager just cave in every time.

19. BobSutan

Time to breath new life into this thread. If you have questions, I've progressed to being one of the hiring folks for the company I'm at, so now I have additional tips for interviews.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Ur_Mom likes this.
  20. Bigbacon

Bigbacon [H]ardForum Junkie

So, it has finally come. Time for me to brush up the old resume and see what else is out there. I ABSOLUTELY love my current job but I am seriously underpaid and the yearly raises are so small anymore (1.7% this year). I'm not getting anywhere and advancement opportunities are not existent. I probably 20-30% underpaid compared to peers in the same area doing the same work.

PROBLEM:
    I haven't updated a resume in YEARS! I have absolutely no clue what to do and I'm sure my most recently updated one is not good/bad when it comes to layout etc.

Would anyone be willing to share either a template they've used or even their resume to at least help me get started?

I am in IT, been a programmer for 12 years.

Other dilemma:
    Although I don't need a new job, I am looking to try and move up in the world. Since 2012 I have more or less been a project manager just without title and without managing people directly. Not sure what else you call that. My manager gives me a project and I am 100% the person in charge of making sure it happens. He only gets involved if things start going poorly (which never really happens)

I really want to try and move up into an actual project management job just not sure how realistic that is. Anyone, without just getting promoted into it, gone from one company to another and bumped up like this without actually having the full experience?

I work on lots of big enterprise level projects all the way down to simple little things. Things that save the company 10s to 100s of thousands in licensing costs for software they don't need to purchase because we write it in house. A few example of this are Learning management system (LMS) and expense reporting. I also deal with many financial applications. I wrote the entire amortization system for ALL the media stations we have so they can keep track of all the financials for the contracts they have with vendors. (IE, what we pay to show TV show X or movie Y)

help?

TL;DR
    -I suck at resumes
    -Need help with resume

21. BobSutan

Look at the examples contained in this thread and then post a rough cut of what you've got.

22. hlfbkd420

hlfbkd420 Limp Gawd

I see a lot of resume's that come from indeed. I absolutely hate that all of them are formatted the same way. If you use indeed to apply for a position, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES let them format your lovely looking document into one of their cookie cutter POS formatted resumes...

Oh, triple check for grammar and spelling errors. If you are an engineer, make sure you can spell the fucking word!