Votes: 67 21.0%
  • The future will tell

Votes: 132 41.4%
  • No

Votes: 74 23.2%
  • Not a chance in hell

Votes: 46 14.4%

• Total voters
Having owned dual X1950XTX's in Crossfire I can tell you, you are wrong. The 8800GTX was a much more powerful card.

As someone who's owned every generation of video card since my first crappy Diamond Stealth 64, I can honestly say the 8800GTX I purchased was one of the most impressive video cards I've owned since my first Voodoo card.

Comparing the 7950GX2 to the 8800GTX is a joke. I owned both, including 2x 7900GTOs in SLI (one died and EVGA replaced with a 7950GX2 (which also died and got replaced with an 8800GTS) / the other got Stepped-Up to a 8800GTX). I've seen graphs of some "apples-to-apples" benchmark showing the 7950GX2 putting out numbers close to the 8800GTX. Then you actually use one yourself and find out the 7950GX2 crashes, glitches, hitches, overheats, and makes you hate life. The 8800GTX did everything the 7950GX2 did, and then some, without breaking a sweat, at higher resolutions, and without needing SLI profiles or fairy dust to work properly. I still use an 8800GTX in my spare computer and am still amazed at how well it handles games. It vastly increased minimum framerates in all my games over the entire 7900 series, including the 7950GX2, which in my opinion is one of the biggest factors in perceived performance of a video card.

By the way, you'll notice I currently own a GTX295 and do not feel a need to replace it with a 5870 at the moment. This is a stark contrast to how I felt about my 7950GX2. This is the main reason I think the 5870 will not be the next 8800GTX. The difference is that based on what came before it, the 8800GTX was leaps and bounds better both in terms of performance and reliability over anything both ATI and Nvidia had to offer. The 5870 is faster, but not necessacarily "better" than current gen cards. It doesn't make you jump up and scream for joy the way the 8800GTX did over the crap that it replaced.

The GTX285 SLI, GTX295, HD4870x2 and HD4890 are all great cards and compared to them, the 5870 is only evolutionary, not revolutionary. Eyefinity might change my mind, but at this point it's not fast enough to make me interested in trying to run it on 3 monitors or make me jump for joy.

The 8800 GTX is over-rated. It was not really much faster than the ATI X1950. And the X1950 CF kick its butt(even in the day when multi-gpu driver sucked much more).
It's why I had 8800 GTX SLI. :p

As someone who's owned every generation of video card since my first crappy Diamond Stealth 64, I can honestly say the 8800GTX I purchased was one of the most impressive video cards I've owned since my first Voodoo card.

Comparing the 7950GX2 to the 8800GTX is a joke. I owned both, including 2x 7900GTOs in SLI (one died and EVGA replaced with a 7950GX2 (which also died and got replaced with an 8800GTS) / the other got Stepped-Up to a 8800GTX). I've seen graphs of some "apples-to-apples" benchmark showing the 7950GX2 putting out numbers close to the 8800GTX. Then you actually use one yourself and find out the 7950GX2 crashes, glitches, hitches, overheats, and makes you hate life. The 8800GTX did everything the 7950GX2 did, and then some, without breaking a sweat, at higher resolutions, and without needing SLI profiles or fairy dust to work properly. I still use an 8800GTX in my spare computer and am still amazed at how well it handles games. It vastly increased minimum framerates in all my games over the entire 7900 series, including the 7950GX2, which in my opinion is one of the biggest factors in perceived performance of a video card.

By the way, you'll notice I currently own a GTX295 and do not feel a need to replace it with a 5870 at the moment. This is a stark contrast to how I felt about my 7950GX2. This is the main reason I think the 5870 will not be the next 8800GTX. The difference is that based on what came before it, the 8800GTX was leaps and bounds better both in terms of performance and reliability over anything both ATI and Nvidia had to offer. The 5870 is faster, but not necessacarily "better" than current gen cards. It doesn't make you jump up and scream for joy the way the 8800GTX did over the crap that it replaced.

The GTX285 SLI, GTX295, HD4870x2 and HD4890 are all great cards and compared to them, the 5870 is only evolutionary, not revolutionary. Eyefinity might change my mind, but at this point it's not fast enough to make me interested in trying to run it on 3 monitors or make me jump for joy.

Sure it makes me jump for joy, that 48xx, a garbage card when it comes to idle power consumption (very important!) finally gets replaced with something usable.

You should change your quote to:
"The 5870 is better, but not necessacarily "faster" than current gen cards."
...not the other way around. It's not faster than the 295 which is a current generation card, but it's better than the 295 because of its design.

Not by a long shot. It's fast, but a 50% performance increase doesn't earn you G80 level cred.

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/...870/23/#abschnitt_performancerating_qualitaet

5870z.png

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/...gtx/28/#abschnitt_performancerating_qualitaet

g80.png

Just a gentle reminder of the smackdown that was the G80 launch :)

Last edited:
8800GTX had no equivalent for a long time that nothing rivaled (and dual card sucked). 5870 shares performance numbers with select "current" cards.

Therefore... 5870 != 8800GTX in impact.

it is very true, 8800gtx felt more like a bang because dual gpu was nothing but crap at that time, I mean now dual gpu's are much more stable and behave just like a single gpu in most cases, but I had heard nightmare stories about the gx2 cards. that is one reason 8800gtx was much more appreciated at that time, people would have rather had the 8800gtx than the 7950gx2. if dual gpu still sucked the hd5870 would have felt just like 8800gtx, it is just the impact 8800gtx had on the gpu market, because it was a simpl solution to the dual gpu problems.

The 8800 GTX is over-rated. It was not really much faster than the ATI X1950. And the X1950 CF kick its butt(even in the day when multi-gpu driver sucked much more).
memory refreshment:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Palit/GeForce8800GTX/6.html

For the c/p ratio, i would say 5870 is better than 8800GTX crap.

Are you kidding me. It was the only single slot solution that could break 30 fps average at 1080p+ res in Oblivion back in the day. Had awesome overclocking gains too.

13561.png

As for the 5870, I don't think it will make the same impact. On average, the card is around 50 percent faster than a 285, still can't run Crysis at 30 FPS average at very high (assuming 1080p res). The only advantage I see to owning one right now is having increased levels of AA in games and of course DX11 and Eyefinity.

There are two reasons why the 8800GTX and the 9700Pro were considered probably the best cards ever. First of all they were extremely powerful. Second, the other camp fucked up big time when they released their next gen. The R600 was a complete piece of shit. It was hot, power hungry, over hyped, and SLOW and while the same can be said 5-series geforce cards they had the added problem of having piss poor image quality. The massive performance boost both of these cards brought was nothing short of amazing, but the only thing that made them legends was the other team fumbling the ball.

it is very true, 8800gtx felt more like a bang because dual gpu was nothing but crap at that time

There are two reasons why the 8800GTX and the 9700Pro were considered probably the best cards ever. First of all they were extremely powerful. Second, the other camp fucked up big time when they released their next gen.

Yes, those things contributed but that's only part of the story.5870 performance is only 1.5x the 4890. The 8800 was 2x+ the 7900GTX at launch. So even without looking at competition or dual-GPU cards the advantage over the prior generation was much higher.

Many are also overlooking the games at THAT time. There were many titles that couldn't run decently (and I'm not just talking max settings, high resolution stuff) with cards before the 8800GTX, and wala, it comes out and it plays everything. There are arguably much fewer games that can't already be run at high/max settings + high resolution with "current" (4XXX, GTX) hardware. So to speak, 5870 allows higher AA on already well run games; 8800GTX allowed games to be run well (plz don't be a moron and nitpick titles kthx).

TO compare this card to the 8800GTX shows a lack of understanding about what the 8800GTX actually did at the time. At that time games like Oblivion were choking the previous generation of video cards and AA was an impossibility in many games. 8800GTX enabled a whole new level of quality for existing games and future proofed systems for 2-3 plus years.

This card is no where near as significant as 8800GTX. For that to be the case, it would have to blow the existing benchmark title (Crysis) out the water and this card doesn't do that.

It is the best single GPU graphics card on the market right now, no doubt about that, but it won't last long. NVIDIA is going to have a better offering, most likely.

I missed your poll before now. I don't think it's release is a watershed event like the G80.

But I think it is the most significant release SINCE G80.

No argument from me on that statement.

Mind you, the 8800GT was also a key milestone card...it brought performance to the masses, or at least made performance affordable.

if gt300 turns out to be as deficient as 2900xt's then i would say the possibility is high. as a former owner of 2900xt cf, these cards provided a good bump over x1950xtx cf but certainly not worth the $420 per card i paid for them.

I'm going to have to say no. I am still rocking my geforce 8800 gtx from three years ago. I plan on upgrading to an i5 system here shortly, and don't even plan to upgrade my videocard; as it plays everything I have ever thrown at it. In fact, i'm only going to an i5, so I can get better performance in team fortress 2.

I'm going to have to say no. I am still rocking my geforce 8800 gtx from three years ago. I plan on upgrading to an i5 system here shortly, and don't even plan to upgrade my videocard; as it plays everything I have ever thrown at it. In fact, i'm only going to an i5, so I can get better performance in team fortress 2.

Srsly I had an 8800GT and the only reason I got my 4870 was to throw the 8800GT in a rig for my sister and the only reason I upgraded to a Core2 from my 939 rig was for TF2.

From a raw graphical power standpoint, no. But eyefinity is something that I believe will help shape the future of computing.

Back