Is it possible to get Win7 legally right now?

sanitystealer

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

I was wondering if, as the title asks, it is possible to get Win7 legally right now.

The one caveat being, I can't afford a technet sub - and I don't qualify for MSDNAA.

I know there are RTM iso's floating around, but I'm unsure of the legality of downloading an iso through bittorrent - even though I plan on activating it legally with a retail key come the 22nd.

What are my options, my fellow [H]ers?

Halp!

unless they stopped, Microsoft had a free 60-day(?) trial of Win7 Enterprise available for download.

but you would still need to reinstall when it's officially released.

otherwise no, no other "legal" way, short of running an RC or beta

I'm trying to stay away from having to do a reinstall on official release, but thank you for the info.

I need to convince a friend/family member that they need a technet sub...

Hey all,

I was wondering if, as the title asks, it is possible to get Win7 legally right now.

The one caveat being, I can't afford a technet sub - and I don't qualify for MSDNAA.
Both are evaluation licenses, not intended for live systems. Though usable, violation of license agreement. $300, for $100,000 in licenses? lols.

I know there are RTM iso's floating around, but I'm unsure of the legality of downloading an iso through bittorrent - even though I plan on activating it legally with a retail key come the 22nd.
License isn't tied to the media or how you obtain it. If you have a valid license, it doesn't matter how you obtained the media for install e.g. you have the physical discs, borrowed them from a friend, downloaded them, etc.

The 30day grace-period is a... grace-period, you're supposed to have paid for a valid license before running this. With that said... it's what I'm using til my key is sent on 10/22.

As guy above mentioned, Beta license, RC license, are legal. I'm not sure about all the conditions of the Win7 Enterprise, but it wouldn't give you a very seamless transition on 10/22.

I have in my hand a legit win7 x32 disc with x32/x64 key that is stamped NFR.

@ the topic poster:

As Menelmarar has said, the various mechanisns for obtaining Windows 7 at present are only 'evaluation' licenses and not open slather 'live environment' legitimate and legal licenses. There is no way at present for a private individual to get hold of a fully licensed Windows 7 install. It's only a gfew weeks until retail release. Grow a wee modicum of patience, maybe?

The 30day grace-period is a... grace-period, you're supposed to have paid for a valid license before running this.

Correct. The only legitimate 'trial' install is the Windows 7 Enterprise Edition Trial download. The 30 day grace perios is something which we call a 'trial' simply for convenience. It isn't really a legitimate 'trial'.

And? You're not going to help the OP and tell him where he can get the same?

Looks to me like sc0tty8's post was simply an exercise in bragging, and not actually a genuine contribution to the thread.

And? You're not going to help the OP and tell him where he can get the same?

Launch event.

You can also get it from technet. Google for a coupon code and you can get technet for 250$-ish. Not bad for what you get IMO.

How do you know?

I actually got my hands on a Vista launch event copy... and the media was 32-bit....

what really freaked me out was that the product key also only worked on 32-bit installs... even though it was a Vista Ultimate key......

Who knows about Windows 7 tho.... would be odd if MS kept it 32-bit only this far along in the grand scheme of things.....

edit: talking about launch event copies here.... not regular retail/oems :)

Last edited:
Ya, I got my copy by attending the Minneapolis Launch event as well today. Was really bummed when I opened the packaging this evening to discover that it only contained media for the 32bit version of Windows 7. :confused: I'm running a quad with 8 gigs.... the 32bit version is a complete waste on my hardware. Hoping that the key it came with will work with a 64bit version of the media when it hits retail in October. (I have it on pre-order).

Ya, I got my copy by attending the Minneapolis Launch event as well today. Was really bummed when I opened the packaging this evening to discover that it only contained media for the 32bit version of Windows 7. :confused: I'm running a quad with 8 gigs.... the 32bit version is a complete waste on my hardware. Hoping that the key it came with will work with a 64bit version of the media when it hits retail in October. (I have it on pre-order).

I was at the launch event in Denver today and I couldn't believe they gave out the 32bit only versions, I don't know what they were thinking. I have an i7 processor and 12GB of ram... This thing is as good as a Frisbee to me. I really do hope the key works for the 64bit version as well...

i dont see anything horribly awful about downloading a win7 iso and running it for a month without activating. i installed mine 1.5 months ago, its still not activated. i aint putting in my product key until my system starts revolting...

I really do hope the key works for the 64bit version as well...

it will. yes. affirmative. please lord dont start this thread. all keys work on whatever bit flavor, and the language doesnt even matter either. please dont question it.

The key from the launch event is suppose to work with x64. I am unsure how one would get their hands on the media, however(

it will. yes. affirmative. please lord dont start this thread. all keys work on whatever bit flavor, and the language doesnt even matter either. please dont question it.

its not a forgone conclusion... as I said above, MS actually *did* have 32-bit keys that wouldnt work on 64-bit installations for Vista....

and it is entirely possible that MS could have done the same with Win 7....

If the eval of 7 is like server 2K8 R2 the key is built in and you will not be able to use it as there is no way to activate it with a new key.

I'm going to a launch event in Philly on Monday. I'm only going to get a key that works with the 32bit version?

Well that blows.. .You would think the people attending these events would benefit more from a 64bit key. Its not like it costs them any more.

its not a forgone conclusion... as I said above, MS actually *did* have 32-bit keys that wouldnt work on 64-bit installations for Vista....

weren't those OEM keys though?

How do they do the event? Can you show up, sign in and come back later to get your "package" or do you have to sit through 8 hours worth of lecture?

Do they give out stuff after each track or do you have to be there for both?

Well I can verify that the 32bit key from the launch event does indeed work for the 64bit version. I am now running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit with a legit key that has been activated by Microsoft.

So the launch event isn't a total waste of time.

Looking at the launch event calendar it looks like all of the events are full right now. What they did for the one I went to was have a morning and afternoon track. It was about 3 hours total - and yes you have to sit through it.

Well I can verify that the 32bit key from the launch event does indeed work for the 64bit version. I am now running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit with a legit key that has been activated by Microsoft.

I thought you received the Pro version? Interesting.

and you are mistaken, the copies if Vista given away at the launch event were 32 bit and had a key that worked ONLY to install 32 bit. Since he was tlaking about the Win 7 aquired at a launch event its a legit question.

You might be able to extend the 'trial' with this command at the command prompt:

Code:
Type slmgr.vbs -rearm then press Enter

You will have to reboot, for it to take effect. You can do this trick a max of three time before is doesn't work anymore.

and you are mistaken, the copies if Vista given away at the launch event were 32 bit and had a key that worked ONLY to install 32 bit. Since he was tlaking about the Win 7 aquired at a launch event its a legit question.

Your post makes absolutely no sense. He is talking about the Windows 7 launch even he just attended. He said nothing about Vista.

He confirmed that the key he received DOES work with 7 x64. Once again, it has nothing to do with Vista.

Your post makes absolutely no sense. He is talking about the Windows 7 launch even he just attended. He said nothing about Vista.

He confirmed that the key he received DOES work with 7 x64. Once again, it has nothing to do with Vista.

Maybe you should go back and re read, I wasnt even quoting the guy that went to the launch event. Pay attention to these two quotes.

this post was made BEFORE he came back and confirmed it

The software provided at the Vista launch was 32 bit only, its not hard to imagine that MIGHT be the case with the win 7 software from the launch event as well.

Last edited:
I thought you received the Pro version? Interesting.

Nope, you get the Ultimate version. They show it on the sign up page for the events now as well. Originally they did show the Pro version.

I'm going to a launch event in Philly on Monday. I'm only going to get a key that works with the 32bit version?

Well that blows.. .You would think the people attending these events would benefit more from a 64bit key. Its not like it costs them any more.

Key is for either, disc is x32.

How do they do the event? Can you show up, sign in and come back later to get your "package" or do you have to sit through 8 hours worth of lecture?

Do they give out stuff after each track or do you have to be there for both?

You sign up for a track, either developer or IT. I signed up for IT. I did the win server 2k8 r2 track. Def. impressed, was a lot better then I thought.

After your 4 hours of listening, you get your package.

If you are just going to get the free software, you're going for the wrong reasons.

Key is for either, disc is x32.

You sign up for a track, either developer or IT. I signed up for IT. I did the win server 2k8 r2 track. Def. impressed, was a lot better then I thought.

After your 4 hours of listening, you get your package.

If you are just going to get the free software, you're going for the wrong reasons.

Lol, for what reasons I'm going are my own business. Thanks for explaining how it goes, though.

well I guess I will wait until MS gives us the ability to order 64bit media and go that route

I use Technet. I work in IT and whenever I am going to roll something new out, I test it on my home network. Right now I am testing windows 7 at home so I will be ready for it when I roll it out this next summer. ;) Same thing with 2008 R2.

Back to the OP. You can install the RC for Windows 7. Search online, you can alter a file in the RC image and it will allow you to install other versions besides ultimate. When you do buy the RTM version, you can alter a file on that install disk and it will let you upgrade from RC1.

I upgraded my work PC from RC1 to RTM without any problems using this method.

Back