IPv4’s Last Days

Rofl-Mic-Lofl

For Whom The Bell Trolls
We've long heard of the inevitable end to IPv4, but it is now closer than previously thought. The American Registry for Internet Numbers has speculated that sometime between the middle and end of next year they will run out of IPv4 addresses.
Saying no to an IPv4 request will be shocking to some organizations, which is why ARIN is trying to get the word out now on the importance of moving to IPv6, Jimmerson said. The IPv6 address space, the next generation of IP addressing, provides 340 trillion trillion trillion (34 x 10 to the 38th power) Internet addresses

Thankfully the only IPv6 address I may ever have to deal with is my WAN port.

I'm glad I don't to tech support anymore. Because telling people to open a DOS prompt and ping something like 2001:db8:85a3::8a2e:370:7334 would give me nightmares. :eek:

See what I mean:

Me: Ok ma'am go to start then type cmd and hit enter, now do you see the black window?

Client: Yes I see it...

Me: Ok now type ping then put a space then two zero zero one colon delta baker eight colon eight five alfa three colon colon

Client: Was that two colons?

Me: Yes ma'am that's two colons, that's right ma'am two of them right next to each other, yes, two.

Client: Ok I have to backup now to put the second colon because I put a space.

Me Thinking: A space? What? I never said space.

Client: Ok I have the two colons now.

Me: Great, now type eight alfa two echo colon three seven zero colon seven three three four, and hit enter

Client: Ok it says bad command or file name

Me: *sigh* :(

Client: I'm sick of this I want to speak to you manager!

I still think a 64 bit address space is more than sufficient, but that's just me.

Me: Ok ma'am go to start then type cmd and hit enter, now do you see the black window?

Me: Ok now type ipconfig and hit Enter.

Client: OK, I see a bunch of letters and numbers.

Me: Great. Right-click the title bar of the window and select Edit > Mark. Then highlight the series of letters and numbers after Default Gateway. Right-click on the title bar again and select Edit > Copy.

Client: It doesn't seem to be working.

Me: Make sure you click the title bar. It doesn't work that well if you right-click in the middle of the window.

Client: Got it.

Me: OK, type ping (and a space), then right-click in the window and select Paste. Then hit Enter.

Client: "Reply from (a bunch of numbers)..." and again... and again... and again...

Me: Great. Do the same thing again, but this time use ipconfig/all and ping what you see after DNS Servers.

Etc.
Fixed. Kind of.

Two things are going to happen: 1. The powers-that-be will be making IPv6 a little simpler to read and write. 2. We'll be relying much more on name resolution (and making sure that's working properly before continuing to troubleshoot).

Fixed. Kind of.

Two things are going to happen: 1. The powers-that-be will be making IPv6 a little simpler to read and write. 2. We'll be relying much more on name resolution (and making sure that's working properly before continuing to troubleshoot).

I don't see how they could make it any easier to read or write than they already have. They already removed the leading 0s to make addresses a little shorter.

as for number 2, don't most people already do that? The only time i know of people to try to ping something by IP address when talking to somebody like that is when they are trying to test connection issues and want to see if they can get access the dns servers and gateways.

where the ipv6 calculator.

Its found on Google. You open www.google.com, click IPv4 to IPv6 converter assuming you want to know the IPv6 equivilent or if you just want to know the total number of possible addresses for IPv6, that's also on google. I'm not quite sure what your asking but if its either of those two questions, google.

With IP6, every device will have its own public IP, and the MAC address will form part of the IPv6 address. In other words, it will be very easy for e.g. the RIAA, FBI etc. to track down a particular user based on the IPv6 address. So there are many organizations that *want* us to run out of IPv4 addresses.

Also one of the reasons we're running low on IPv4 addresses is because they've been so wasteful with them. For starters we have one 24-bit block, one 20-bit block and one 16-bit block of private IPs. Do we really need nearly 17,891,328 private IP addresses? Remember they are not routed over the Internet - you and your neighbor can use addresses within the same 10.0.0.0/8 network without conflicts. Plus there are many other reserved ranges that don't really need to be as huge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserved_IP_addresses).

Then we have a few big organizations that sit on their own 24-bit blocks (16.7 million addresses). Those include HP, Apple (but not Microsoft), Xerox, General Electric Company, US Postal Service etc.
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/

034/8 Halliburton Company 1993-03 LEGACY

This IP4/6 thing is totally a big oil conspiracy, see....RIGHT THERE IT IS :D

Seriously though. The transition is going to be a pain in the ass for any tech support persons having to deal with end users.

BUT, the beauty of it is, that IPV4 will probably be in use longer, as things move to IPV6 because of this, allowing a slow, almost glacial like rollout that will allow for management of the changes in a more timely manner.

It won't be like DTV, where magically on set date, your IP goes black. There's too many things that could literally burst in flames if such a thing were to happen.

If you're interested in learning more (as I am), here's a good site

http://www.ipv6.com/

I don't see how they could make it any easier to read or write than they already have. They already removed the leading 0s to make addresses a little shorter.
As far as I know, :: can be used to indicate any block of 0s, but only once in the address. Do current IPv6 implementations let you define a default network prefix yet? Being able to reference nodes on your subnet by host ID only should simplify things. I have seen some prefix shortcuts, but I don't know what they all mean.
as for number 2, don't most people already do that? The only time i know of people to try to ping something by IP address when talking to somebody like that is when they are trying to test connection issues and want to see if they can get access the dns servers and gateways.
Which is what I was doing. Simplified subnetting and autoconfiguration, and the elimination of NAT concerns means you should be able to skip over a lot of IP-based troubleshooting of routing.

I still think a 64 bit address space is more than sufficient, but that's just me.

I remember when I heard "nobody will need more than 640K of memory". That was true when computers only computed numbers. The desire for PC-based video games with graphics changed all of that, and streaming media would be impossible. As demands increase, so must the hardware increase in its capabilities.

It's not just desktop and laptop PC's, but every single mobile device connected to the internet needs its own address, not to mention the computers that make up the infrastructure of the internet itself. An upgrade is inevitable.

Man.... I have my important IP4 addresses memorized. This will be annoying to type in when a simple copy/paste isn't always the option.

Question.... akin to getting a dynamic vs. static IP from our hosts currently. Will end users only be getting static IP's from their ISP now?

dyndns to the rescue. it would be annoying to remerber all those numbers.

I remember when I heard "nobody will need more than 640K of memory". That was true when computers only computed numbers. The desire for PC-based video games with graphics changed all of that, and streaming media would be impossible. As demands increase, so must the hardware increase in its capabilities.

It's not just desktop and laptop PC's, but every single mobile device connected to the internet needs its own address, not to mention the computers that make up the infrastructure of the internet itself. An upgrade is inevitable.

However, bitness grows exponentially. A 33-bit number can store a number twice as large as a 32-bit one. The maximum number a 64-bit number can hold is *HUGE*, roughly 1.84467441 × 10^19 huge. If you divide the maximum number a 64-bit number can hold by the population of the planet, you end up with 2.75437425 × 10^9. Basically a 64-bit IP would mean that each person could have over a billion internet connected devices. Compare that to the current 32-bit IP, where each person on the planet is limited to 0.6 of an internet connected device. Just think about that for a minute, and then try and use the "640k is enough for anyone" fake quote. We are getting to the point where that doesn't work anymore. Hell, a 128-bit IP basically means that you will run out of matter to build devices with long before you run out of IP addresses.

IPv5 was skipped.

IPv6 address space will never be exhausted. Never ever never ever.

I don't think IPv5 w/ 64-bit addresses could've made that claim.

As far as I know, :: can be used to indicate any block of 0s, but only once in the address. Do current IPv6 implementations let you define a default network prefix yet? Being able to reference nodes on your subnet by host ID only should simplify things. I have seen some prefix shortcuts, but I don't know what they all mean.

Which is what I was doing. Simplified subnetting and autoconfiguration, and the elimination of NAT concerns means you should be able to skip over a lot of IP-based troubleshooting of routing.

I guess that you are correct about the dropping of the 0s. I thought that was possible multiple times. But you can only drop out 1 group of 0s but it can span more than one hextet. so 0000:0000:0000 could be replaced with a single :: just was you would for just 0000.

You still use subnets mask like you did for IPv4 but instead of the 255.255.255.0 way of masking you use the /# method. so something like 2001:05c0:9168:0000:0000:0000:0000:0001/16

Looking at IPv4. If you are only use to doing subnet mask as 255.0.0.0 instead of /8 then that would be a differnet way for you to work with subnets. the # after the / is the number of bits that are set to 1 in the mask in binary form going left to right. so /8 would be 11111111.00000000.00000000.00000000. /9 would be 11111111.10000000.00000000.00000000 or 255.128.0.0

You would use the same thing for IPv6. using my example above the mask would start with 1111111111111111 0000000000000000 (the rest would be all 0s) meaning that the network would be 2001::

Man.... I have my important IP4 addresses memorized. This will be annoying to type in when a simple copy/paste isn't always the option.

Question.... akin to getting a dynamic vs. static IP from our hosts currently. Will end users only be getting static IP's from their ISP now?

You can do DHCP or static just as you do with IPv4.

I guess that you are correct about the dropping of the 0s. I thought that was possible multiple times. But you can only drop out 1 group of 0s but it can span more than one hextet. so 0000:0000:0000 could be replaced with a single :: just was you would for just 0000.

You still use subnets mask like you did for IPv4 but instead of the 255.255.255.0 way of masking you use the /# method. so something like 2001:05c0:9168:0000:0000:0000:0000:0001/16

Looking at IPv4. If you are only use to doing subnet mask as 255.0.0.0 instead of /8 then that would be a differnet way for you to work with subnets. the # after the / is the number of bits that are set to 1 in the mask in binary form going left to right. so /8 would be 11111111.00000000.00000000.00000000. /9 would be 11111111.10000000.00000000.00000000 or 255.128.0.0

You would use the same thing for IPv6. using my example above the mask would start with 1111111111111111 0000000000000000 (the rest would be all 0s) meaning that the network would be 2001::
All true. Plus, you can still shorthand other groups of quad 0s by using a single 0. E.g. 2001::05c0.0.0.9158

I would be shocked if other methods of 'masking' the network ID don't arise from people much smarter than me.

I'm glad I don't to tech support anymore. Because telling people to open a DOS prompt and ping something like 2001:db8:85a3::8a2e:370:7334 would give me nightmares. :eek:

See what I mean:

Me: Ok now type ping then put a space then two zero zero one colon delta baker eight colon eight five alfa three colon colon

Client: Was that two colons?

Me: Yes ma'am that's two colons, that's right ma'am two of them right next to each other, yes, two.

Client: Ok I have to backup now to put the second colon because I put a space.

Me Thinking: A space? What? I never said space.

Client: Ok I have the two colons now.

Me: Great, now type eight alfa two echo colon three seven zero colon seven three three four, and hit enter

Client: Ok it says bad command or file name

Me: *sigh* :(

Client: I'm sick of this I want to speak to you manager!

This is the funniest shit I ever read.

Back