iPhone Air ( iPhone 6 ) September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not entirely trusting here. Taiwanese sources tend to be optimistic about release dates (partly because they see the mass production date, not the retail launch), and it'd be odd for Apple to do two late summer launches. Also, something I just recalled: August is frequently a holiday month in Europe (especially France), so it wouldn't be smart to launch there when many people will be on vacation.

Not entirely trusting here. Taiwanese sources tend to be optimistic about release dates (partly because they see the mass production date, not the retail launch), and it'd be odd for Apple to do two late summer launches. Also, something I just recalled: August is frequently a holiday month in Europe (especially France), so it wouldn't be smart to launch there when many people will be on vacation.

Apple is probably feeling the big-screen pressure since phones with qHD screens are set to debut during that time frame.

The black lines probably serve a purpose for the antennae due to metal case but it's the fugliest thing I've seen in years. Hope this isn't final.

gsmarena_002.jpg

1704x960 resolution? Better than 720p finally but why not standard 1080p or 1200p so there's no scaling penalty when watching standard movies?

http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/14/likely-iphone-6-with-sharper-larger-1704-x-960-resolution-screen-in-testing/

Getting split multitasking like the 2012 Note 10.1 and Note II.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/13/apple-plans-to-match-microsoft-surface-with-split-screen-ipad-multitasking-in-ios-8/

The black lines probably serve a purpose for the antennae due to metal case but it's the fugliest thing I've seen in years. Hope this isn't final.

gsmarena_002.jpg

1704x960 resolution? Better than 720p finally but why not standard 1080p or 1200p so there's no scaling penalty when watching standard movies?

http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/14/likely-iphone-6-with-sharper-larger-1704-x-960-resolution-screen-in-testing/

http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/13/apple-plans-to-match-microsoft-surface-with-split-screen-ipad-multitasking-in-ios-8/

Agreed, that looks hideous if that's the final design. I don't think it is though. As for the resolution, it's to keep backwards compatibility, which makes sense for Apple as they really care for that. It does make for awkward resolutions, but it's not as bad as you think for videos. The iPhone 5 is comparable to 720p, and honestly I haven't really had issues with the tiny black bars, since it is off of 16:9 by a tiny amount.

Let's see what happens with that Samsung Galaxy Prime and this, should be an interesting summer/fall.

To me the black lines look like shitty tape that is wearing off. Sometimes car makers will disguise a car by painting lines on it so its more difficult to see exactly how its shaped. Maybe that's what is going on.

You can tell by the way it looks like the black lines are scraping off it is highly unlikely they are a part of the design or built in.

http://www.dailytech.com/Report+App...ull+HD+with+1704x960+Display/article34909.htm

Still not Full HD. Why not go for full 1920x1080p? More image distortion with that reality density field, anyone?

Because iOS is not very advanced, and unlike WP and Android, is not resolution and DPI independent. It is certainly not 'the most advanced mobile OS' as Apple wants you to believe :p

So they have to carefully adjust screen sizes and UI elements so things are an exact multiple otherwise it'd be a draw penalty and they wouldn't look nice. But don't worry, they'll call it 'Retina Plus' or something and people will claim its the best ever!

I'm a bit skeptical about the 1704x960 resolution, because 9to5 didn't actually hear that the display would fit that size -- just that there would be a 3X mode for scaling apps. Apple can't do 4X unless it goes with a greater-than-1080p display (2272x1280 for perfect scaling), so 3X may be the "good enough" option for apps that aren't updated quickly. This is also assuming that iOS 8 doesn't include some form of resolution independence.

I'm not ruling out that being the native pixel count, but a lot of people aren't paying attention to the hard information -- they're just making a lot of assumptions about it. I won't be shocked if it's actually 1080p (or something around there) and just leaves a black border around 3X apps.

As for Windows Phone being resolution-independent... nope. Microsoft has been improving, but it still has to tell developers what resolutions they're allowed to use. Remember, you didn't see a 1080p Windows Phone until late 2013 because Microsoft had to "allow" 1080p displays to exist on its platform.

iOS relies heavily upon their quadrant's (based on x320 pixels) for scaling purposes with apps, requiring little to zero patching for scaling. The only problem is they are limited from the original display for further scaling. This is why we won't see 1080p screens, although scaling at this level won't be terrible when viewing 1080p, it will be a step down from natural 1080p displays however. The 960 is a logical step, they are already 3x2, making it 3x3 makes sense.

They should change their quad's to x270 based pixels and configure some scaling figures in iOS to account for stuff still written in x320 base. 270 would also be 100 times easier to develop displays for.

Also that picture is the phone encased in a shell, as mentioned car manufacturers use the same technique when driving the car to a different location.

Also that picture is the phone encased in a shell, as mentioned car manufacturers use the same technique when driving the car to a different location.

Stickers I would believe but not shell because all the ports are flush if not slightly protruding. Usually when you put a shell on it makes the ports recessed.

Stickers I would believe but not shell because all the ports are flush if not slightly protruding. Usually when you put a shell on it makes the ports recessed.

It doesn't look like the shell covers the bottom or the top of the phone. It does look like it covers the sides.

edit: I can believe stickers over a shell, either way its being covered someway :p

gsmarena_002.jpg

LOL no way that cheesy mockup is even close to the real thing. Looks like a bad B-movie wannabe version of the HTC One. Apple will have lost their minds if it looks like that :p

And what's up with the odd ball low res screen ? Not even 1080p yet :rolleyes: Soon the Android standard will be 1440p. And you know what will irk me, how Apple will market this new screen, saying it's the highest res Retina display ever, the most pixels ever in a Retina, which might be true and all, but also leaving out every other screen in production outside of Apple for comparison sake.

And the Apple iSheep will lap this up, like the second coming, and it will be a record breaking massive seller :rolleyes:

Last edited:
And what's up with the odd ball low res screen ? Not even 1080p yet :rolleyes: Soon the Android standard will be 1440p. And you know what will irk me, how Apple will market this new screen, saying it's the highest res Retina display ever, the most pixels ever in a Retina, which might be true and all, but also leaving out every other screen in production outside of Apple for comparison sake.

And the Apple iSheep will lap this up, like the second coming, and it will be a record breaking massive seller :rolleyes:

Well, as I mentioned, it sounds like 9to5 is assuming that the 3X scaling also dictates the exact screen size, and I'm not sure that's necessarily the case. We'll need to see what truly iPhone 6-native apps are like (or simply get detailed hardware info) before we reach conclusions.

Also, Apple is doing this thing called marketing... maybe you've heard of it! Most companies act as if whatever they're doing is the best thing ever, and aren't going to discuss the competition if it has an advantage in one area (unless they can make a really good case for why they've made this sacrifice). Samsung isn't going to mention that Nokia has a higher-res camera that's better in low light, for instance. I'm always a bit baffled at how some claim that Apple is a company just like any other (which in many ways is true), but are all too willing to create false exceptions to paint it as the only company doing something wrong.

Well, as I mentioned, it sounds like 9to5 is assuming that the 3X scaling also dictates the exact screen size, and I'm not sure that's necessarily the case. We'll need to see what truly iPhone 6-native apps are like (or simply get detailed hardware info) before we reach conclusions.

Also, Apple is doing this thing called marketing... maybe you've heard of it! Most companies act as if whatever they're doing is the best thing ever, and aren't going to discuss the competition if it has an advantage in one area (unless they can make a really good case for why they've made this sacrifice). Samsung isn't going to mention that Nokia has a higher-res camera that's better in low light, for instance. I'm always a bit baffled at how some claim that Apple is a company just like any other (which in many ways is true), but are all too willing to create false exceptions to paint it as the only company doing something wrong.

I understand about marketing, but I hate companies that act like I'm an idiot, and have zero clue what the competition has to offer. There are smarter ways to sell things, than to think your client base are dumb sheep, and don't compare different products.

Apples way of marketing - label everything with s fancy name and pretend they invented it, with lots of hype - has been working very well and I doubt they're about to change to a factual comparison based approach. Notice that in the areas where they actually do have an advantage, like A7 benchmarks, Apple has no trouble listing detailed specs just like Android oem's do. But they'll hide everything else (battery, screen, memory) they can.

I understand about marketing, but I hate companies that act like I'm an idiot, and have zero clue what the competition has to offer. There are smarter ways to sell things, than to think your client base are dumb sheep, and don't compare different products.

That's not what Apple is doing, though. It's just trying to pump itself up. Look at the special events that HTC, Samsung or Sony host. Heck, when Samsung held its GS3 presentation, it said that was the launch event of the year -- not phone launch of the year, the most important launch event in all of 2012, for anything. That's not just pretending that the competition doesn't exist... that's pretending that entire aspects of human life don't exist. If Apple is treating customers like idiots (it isn't), then Samsung treats them like slaves who have no life outside of its products. Of course, that isn't true; it's just trying to hype up its offerings.

Besides, comparisons sometimes come across as self-defeating and neurotic, like you're admitting that the competition is worth looking into. Look at Samsung's US ads for the past couple of years -- if there's a common thread you remember about them, it's that Samsung is really, really nervous about Apple.

Last edited:

Based on that, you don't understand marketing.

Apples way of marketing - label everything with s fancy name and pretend they invented it, with lots of hype - has been working very well and I doubt they're about to change to a factual comparison based approach. Notice that in the areas where they actually do have an advantage, like A7 benchmarks, Apple has no trouble listing detailed specs just like Android oem's do. But they'll hide everything else (battery, screen, memory) they can.

Apple is good at marketing, but they do deliver the product.

Samsung on the other hand, bash and blackmail marketing, paying writers to troll all over the forums. Deliver hype products on the other hand that doesn't even hold their promise.

Good luck on been judgmental.... :p

Samsung on the other hand, bash and blackmail marketing, paying writers to troll all over the forums. Deliver hype products on the other hand that doesn't even hold their promise.

Good luck on been judgmental.... :p

I guess you haven't heard about apples black mailing reporters, forcing people to sign NDAs, etc.....

I guess you haven't heard about apples black mailing reporters, forcing people to sign NDAs, etc.....

Blackmailing how? Evidence please!

Also, NDAs are -- as the running theme seems to be today -- not unique to Apple. That's what an embargo is: you get early access in return for an agreement not to publish until time X (usually the official unveiling or just before launch). And it's not an onerous requirement for developers... if the company doesn't want unannounced features getting out (especially when they're likely to change), it's that company's product -- not yours. Now if there's some truly evil NDA that I'm not talking about, let me know... but I can't recall any off the top of my head.

Apple would tell news venues if they reported on issues they would be blocked out of press releases in the future. Apples relationship with the media is similar to a sponsors relationship with a magazine it advertises in. You are right NDA is not unique to apple or Samsung, point is both companies spend an incredible amount of time and money trying to manage and force their brand name. But apple shills try to act like only Samsung is doing it. Apple doesn't get their products placed in just about every advertisement and movies etc... Just because. And apple isn't able to keep negative publicity lower than others because they are nice. There was also a story some time ago about someone getting a virus on a mac and being forced to sign and NDA in order to get service. This is a customer not a developer. Apple actively sends their lawers to find and force web sites to take down news like this to get rid of evidence and stories, and they have the lawers and money to do it.

In your opinion. IMO Apple's releases are far more disappointing. And do you really think Apple doesn't astroturf? How naive of you. Almost all major tech sites and blogs have a huge Apple bias as it is.

And do you really think Apple doesn't astroturf? How naive of you. Almost all major tech sites and blogs have a huge Apple bias as it is.
It's actually naive to think Apple needs to pay for astroturfing...

CHANG 3D, I bet you say the same about Intel but they lost a lawsuit and paid $1.25 billion to AMD for unfair competition along with getting caught playing dirty games like intentionally making their compiler cripple performance for AMD CPUs:

http://www.osnews.com/story/22683/Intel_Forced_to_Remove_quot_Cripple_AMD_quot_Function_from_Compiler_

Apple is playing equivalent dirty games against the competition. You know like stealing and patent trolling slide-to-unlock from Neonode to kill competition and consumer choice, paying off developers to delay Android app release, paying off sites to hype and spread FUD, etc. Apparently it worked on you because even the pioneer of communication, Motorola, won't encase a phone in recycled aluminum that degrades radio signal but chose kevlar.

CHANG 3D, I bet you say the same about Intel but they lost a lawsuit and paid $1.25 billion to AMD for unfair competition along with getting caught playing dirty games like intentionally making their compiler cripple performance for AMD CPUs:

http://www.osnews.com/story/22683/Intel_Forced_to_Remove_quot_Cripple_AMD_quot_Function_from_Compiler_

Apple is playing equivalent dirty games against the competition. You know like stealing and patent trolling slide-to-unlock from Neonode to kill competition and consumer choice, paying off developers to delay Android app release, paying off sites to hype and spread FUD, etc.

You know, your arguments are extremely valid with zero evidence/links except your own words. Honestly, why do you guys find the need to come into this thread and just try to start a flame war. It's hilarious how you say Apple users are all sheep, yet I never see them post in every single LG/Samsung/HTC thread about how shitty said companies practices/phones/whatever else is shitty. Might as well lock this thread if this continues.

I can't believe that he hasn't been banned yet for trying to start flame wars and all of his non-factual BS.

I know I made a point when boys get emotional and want to sweep things under the rug. Plus, I've owned Apple equipment longer so my opinion counts more even if you don't like it.

I know I made a point when boys get emotional and want to sweep things under the rug. Plus, I've owned Apple equipment longer so my opinion counts more even if you don't like it.

Ugh, having owned Apple equipment longer makes your opinion count more? A famous man once said DAFUQ?!?
Speaking of sweeping things under the rug, lets rehash your "predictions" about Samsung doing the S5 fingerprint reader the "right" way.

Last edited:
I understand about marketing, but I hate companies that act like I'm an idiot, and I have zero clue what the competition has to offer. There are smarter ways to sell things, than to think your client base are dumb sheep, and don't compare different products.

I think you forgot a word. (Apple) marketing is acutely aware of the competition. During the last trial marketing knows some customers want what Apple doesn't offer.

And it's marketing: getting you to buy stuff you don't need.

Ugh, having owned Apple equipment longer makes your opinion count more? A famous man once said DAFUQ?!?
Speaking of sweeping things under the rug, lets rehash your "predictions" about Samsung doing the S5 fingerprint reader the "right" way.
I'm still waiting for his answer on how Foxconn isn't an electronic component manufacturer.

mi7chy:

Owning Apple tech does not give you a free pass to repeat demonstrably false claims, engage in bile-fueled fanboyism and derail threads. Having relevant technology only gives you authority to speak if you're actually knowledgeable about it and strive for objectivity... neither of which is true in this case.

Last edited:
Aurelius:

Mi7chy has a point. I'm mean what intel did to amd is definitely relevant to what Apple is doing to Samsung. Just like Americans treatment of the Natives means all American companies are murderers. Don't question his logic. /sarcasm

Let's explain why the media is largely Apple biased.

If you're going to be doing a lot of media creation, you're more likely to be using an Apple product not because of marketing, but rather Apple does make a hell of a good media creation PC line-up. Windows still hasn't gotten the frigging touch pad right even after all these years. The screens Apple use are excellent to read and view graphics on. Sure, NEC has the best color accurate monitors (I use a pair at work), but Apple's branded ones are among the best. Another thing, Apple service for those PCs are top notch especially for media savvy computer illiterates (no, not all apple users are computer illiterates). Consumer Report has been giving Apple the highest score for service for a while.

Let's explain why the media is largely Apple biased.

If you're going to be doing a lot of media creation, you're more likely to be using an Apple product not because of marketing, but rather Apple does make a hell of a good media creation PC line-up. Windows still hasn't gotten the frigging touch pad right even after all these years. The screens Apple use are excellent to read and view graphics on. Sure, NEC has the best color accurate monitors (I use a pair at work), but Apple's branded ones are among the best. Another thing, Apple service for those PCs are top notch especially for media savvy computer illiterates (no, not all apple users are computer illiterates). Consumer Report has been giving Apple the highest score for service for a while.

Sorry but this reads like fanboy worship. There is no significant gap in usability/quality between Apple and other oem's. I can accept the experience of an Apple Store is quite nice, and of course Apple makes shiny good looking stuff.

But media has an obligation to at least try and be objective. Instead what has happened is pack mentality where Apple products were seen as 'cool'. Using a Macbook while sipping your latte at Starbucks was probably the goal of every blogger/writer, it made them feel like they'd arrived. Of course they weren't going to go against the trend. Another thing which contributed to this was it was and is cool to hate Microsoft, the corporate entity which made 'boring', stuffy Windows. So they rebelled and used Macbooks and OSX, which wasn't any easier to use but they could write that it was.

There's a reason people talk about the RDF.

Sorry but this reads like fanboy worship. There is no significant gap in usability/quality between Apple and other oem's. I can accept the experience of an Apple Store is quite nice, and of course Apple makes shiny good looking stuff.

But media has an obligation to at least try and be objective. Instead what has happened is pack mentality where Apple products were seen as 'cool'. Using a Macbook while sipping your latte at Starbucks was probably the goal of every blogger/writer, it made them feel like they'd arrived. Of course they weren't going to go against the trend. Another thing which contributed to this was it was and is cool to hate Microsoft, the corporate entity which made 'boring', stuffy Windows. So they rebelled and used Macbooks and OSX, which wasn't any easier to use but they could write that it was.

Me? Apple fanboy? LOL...

No, significant gap? Are you kidding? The all-in-ones or monitor + pc combos you see at Best Buy or Costco almost always suck in comparison to Apple's line-up. OEM's typically include cheap monitors, ugly designs, or other necessary bloat such as McAfee or trial of other crap no one needs; and, most likely, you'll more than likely replace the included keyboard and mouse with another 3rd party such as Logitech's products.

If your main machine is a laptop, and you're saying that Apple's laptops aren't more media/content creation friendly than others, have you ever tried a macbook? Apple's laptop is pretty much the de facto standard. It's got good designs, thin, and actually have a touch pad that works. Seriously, try the Apple touch pad. You wouldn't want any other touch pads. I don't know if it Synaptics or Microsoft's fault. But I know they are pushing the blame on each other. But, shit... fix the touch pad already!

The only Apple product I've ever owned is a candied colored iMAC from the early 2000's (freshman college year), which I winded up returning due to fact I can't get multi-user logins right. It kept on crashing. Apple support actually told me to stop sharing my computer with my mates. I got rid of it, and I've never again owned an Apple product. Not even an iPod.

But I don't have blind hate for Apple. I'll give them credit where it's due. Current Macbooks and iMACs are currently very excellent with the included displays especially for media/content creators. Heck, what kind of argument can you make about the new Mac Pros, aside from not being very part replacement friendly? It's shockingly cheaper than what any other OEM could do with equivalent parts. Talk about RDF... there's also a cloud of let's hate Apple on everything.

For gaming, no, Apple stuff sucks. For just needing something cheap to do a little bit of stuff, sure, get something else. For media/content creation, it's hard not to consider Apple the best.

The iPhone, however, sucks!

Last edited:

The media is more objective than you'd think. You occasionally get the "Apple can do no wrong" types like Farhad Manjoo, and they're certainly not helping. However they're also patently obvious... as in, even a big fan could point out the lack of significant criticism.

However, I think you're also basing this on a stereotype that, frankly, doesn't have any supporting evidence. It's pretty clear if you read Engadget or The Verge that they often either work from an office or from home, so they're not worried about showing off. And how do you explain the disproportionate number of Macs (or kind words towards iOS) at Google-centric sites? Heck, even Microsoft's number one cheerleader, Paul Thurrott, likes some Apple gear.

To me, the image some have of the media as engaged in a vast, pro-Apple groupthink is more a projection of insecurities and over-investment into platform choices than anything. Because they believe that no one could ever actually like an Apple product based on its own merits, they're convinced that any positive reviews (or even just news reports that don't openly attack the company) are proof of systemic bias. Never mind that the site just gave an Android phone or Windows laptop a glowing review, or that it drew attention to questionable labor practices at an Apple contractor just weeks earlier... conspiracy!

The practical reality: Apple is only sometimes at the top of a given field, but it operates at the higher end of the price spectrum and refuses to play the race-to-the-bottom game of some of its Android and Windows peers. That sets a fairly high baseline for quality; you may find some Android or Windows device that does a better job for you, but Apple tech is rarely out-and-out crappy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back