iPhone Air ( iPhone 6 ) September

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://m.techradar.com/news/phone-a...phone-6-release-date-news-and-rumours-1099865

Too get this thread back on track, this is a good article of past rumors, New rumors and credible information.

I think I know how Apple will try to justify the $100 markup on the larger iPhone 6: liquidmetal body and sapphire glass screen cover. No other OEM has a license to liquidmetal in the mobile space. The liquidmetal rumor has been going on too long though. If it doesn't happen now, I doubt it will ever happen.

I think I know how Apple will try to justify the $100 markup on the larger iPhone 6: liquidmetal body and sapphire glass screen cover. No other OEM has a license to liquidmetal in the mobile space. The liquidmetal rumor has been going on too long though. If it doesn't happen now, I doubt it will ever happen.

I think I'm more interested to see how they implement it. I wonder what the real benefits will be.

Did Apple extend the agreement with Liquid Metal this year? Last extension was good to 2/2014.

Swatch/Omega has a license so there's no stopping them from releasing an iWatch competitor.

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/watchmaking/liquidmetal

http://youtu.be/jMkmTMArB70

Omega-PO-Liquidmetal-9.jpg

Last edited:
I used to have a liquid metal SIM tool. That thing was remarkably strong. A body made out of liquidmetal would probably be dent and scratch proof. No one has demonstrated making complex shapes from liquidmetal (yet) and the T-1000 doesn't count.

I think Apple also made liquidmetal SIM trays, but that's boring.

I used to have a liquid metal SIM tool. That thing was remarkably strong. A body made out of liquidmetal would probably be dent and scratch proof. No one has demonstrated making complex shapes from liquidmetal (yet) and the T-1000 doesn't count.

I think Apple also made liquidmetal SIM trays, but that's boring.

Wouldn't count on it myself -- the tricky bit would be getting the production scale needed to make tens of millions of phone-sized Liquidmetal parts. Most likely, the finished shell will be aluminum with plastic or glass for inserts. Not as exciting, but considerably more practical.

If Apple is using liquid metal, they may be using it to make the shell thinner but keeping the same integrity. Which could be why it's so thin.

Of course that's if they are using it.

I don't believe Liquidmetal has the capacity to manufacturer all iPhone cases. LM can do certain small parts, such as the sim tray. The phone cases, no, I don't think so. Sure, LM had an expansion over the last few years, but unless Apple wants iPhones to be out of stock even more often than usual, it will not be a Liquidmetal case.

But this is Apple... I suppose they could release 4 versions of the phone: white, black, gold, and Liquidmetal, and have the gold and liquidmetal out of stock often.

Last edited:
Let's see how this turns out, I might just wait for the 6S though since I just bought the 5S with my first upgrade yesterday. Hopefully the stick with aluminum/metal and perfect the anodizing, since that still seems to not be perfect on the 5S.

LG and JDI will once again be the manufacturers of the displays.

So goes the rumor. I'm curious as to what this means for battery life if it's accurate -- remember, this is still an unverified claim -- but it's interesting if Sharp really couldn't cut it. I think a lot of people were expecting IGZO to be Apple's solution to eking out long battery life from a larger display, but it may have to "settle" for a normal screen. Assuming it was worried about its panel choice in the first place, that is.

Don't worry. This "average screen" still uses less power on the average compared to samoled due to not enough websites with dark backgrounds. Samsung may be completely caught up in a couple of years. It's only more efficient now when the background is dark.

iPhone owners' reaction to the iPhone 6 mock-up:

http://youtu.be/nGwa_uEr6_4

A few "it looks like Galaxy or HTC" comments.

Also, interesting how the guy that makes the iPhone look like a match box in his hand and with double holstered DSLRs on his belt is sensitive to phone size.

Those old Jimmy Kimmel videos about the "brand new" iPhones are so much better than this one.

I've noticed that some iPhone users (not all, that's important) are simply very acclimated to a smaller screen, so they're not sure what to make of a bigger model. I bet that reactions will be different to the production variant, especially once it's no longer a relative novelty.

I think a large number of iPhone customers want a smaller device, not necessarily a small screen. If Apple can minimize the huge iPhone bezels, they can easily increase the screen size with minimal chassis increase. Just look at what LG achieved with G2 and G3.

Good point. A lot of that wasted iPhone bezel can be turned into display extension.

Samsung-Galaxy-S5-vs-HTC-One-M8-vs-iPhone-5S.jpg

I think a large number of iPhone customers want a smaller device, not necessarily a small screen. If Apple can minimize the huge iPhone bezels, they can easily increase the screen size with minimal chassis increase. Just look at what LG achieved with G2 and G3.

The G3 is the most interesting phone right now IMO. Honestly, if the iPhone 6 doesn't do something interesting with the design(really slim bezels) then I think I'm gonna go with the G3 or w/e is coming out next Spring. The main reason I didn't get the M8 is because it has those huge speakers top and bottom, plus the logo, and then still on screen buttons.

Apple should do what LG is doing with their G3, fitting in a huge screen, in the same footprint of much smaller screened phones.

The leaked dummy units of the iPhone 6, still have the same typical iPhone front dating all the back to 2007, with a huge top bezel, and pretty big bottom bezel, mainly for the thumb / home button. But those huge bezels make the dummy iPhone 6 units look super outdated and really ugly. Just no reason in the year 2014 to have such large bezels, especially Apple, a company known for artistic good design.

If this iPhone doesn't show an option in moving up in screen size (considerably) I'm going to stick with either Android or WP. I don't ever use my phone as a phone, its much more useful to me as a mobile data device and extra screen size of the note 3works very well in my favor.

I do hope they start a new "revolution" with their phones and upgrade their grid's resolution. Them being stuck on that resolution made sense for the longest time but now its time to change it.

Also, I just installed iTunes so I could help move some old stuff off of my wifes old iPhone and dear god Apple, put some time into the software on windows side. The damn thing is a super hog!

You guys may bitch about Apple's "huge" top and bottom bezel. But it's awfully hard for Apple to change something that "iconic." /sarcasm

Also, I just installed iTunes so I could help move some old stuff off of my wifes old iPhone and dear god Apple, put some time into the software on windows side. The damn thing is a super hog!

Nah... that's how Apple gets back at Windows users. It isn't nearly as bad on a Mac.

You guys may bitch about Apple's "huge" top and bottom bezel. But it's awfully hard for Apple to change something that "iconic." /sarcasm

I don't expect the buttom or top bezels to shrink much more until the home button disappears. Why? There isn't much free space left on the bottom bezel. Shrink the top too much compared to the bottom and the phone will lose symmetry. /reality :D

http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/28/technology/mobile/apple-breakup/index.html

I wonder if this guy on CNN is for reals... I expect him to go "OMG iOS 8 is amazing - I'm going back to iPhone"

Well, at least I would be surprised if he continues to bash Apple for a lack of features or innovations

I really wish I could throw a cup of water on that guys face.

Why.......why in the world are people comparing ipad to a surface pro?

A regular surface I can kinda see.....but really....

He didn't say anything about iPad and Surface Pro. You're looking at a link to a different article but I agree that comparing an iPad to Surface Pro is silly.

He didn't say anything about iPad and Surface Pro. You're looking at a link to a different article but I agree that comparing an iPad to Surface Pro is silly.

You're right, ugh I really hate heavy websites.....namely news websites....:eek:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/28/technology/mobile/apple-breakup/index.html

I wonder if this guy on CNN is for reals... I expect him to go "OMG iOS 8 is amazing - I'm going back to iPhone"

Well, at least I would be surprised if he continues to bash Apple for a lack of features or innovations

There is some right, but some stuff that is just way off. Like:
On my laptops, when I want to open an app, I literally just start typing the name, hit enter, and it starts running.

This has been possible on a Mac or Windows PC for years. IIRC, Vista had this feature. Are journalists really this stupid?

Windows had that feature since 98, go to run and type the name of the file, hit enter and profit.

The difference is in Windows 8, you don't have to go to "run"... just start typing

Last edited:
The difference is in Windows 8, you don't have to go to "run"... just start typing

Since Vista: Press Windows Key then start typing. The only way this could be shorter on Windows 8 is when a user is already in the Start Screen.

im a long time apple/iphone user and i want a larger screen. if nothing changes in the iOS i might just go try android. looks like with the mock up iphones is it safe to say that thats the design we can expect?

im a long time apple/iphone user and i want a larger screen. if nothing changes in the iOS i might just go try android. looks like with the mock up iphones is it safe to say that thats the design we can expect?

dont bother, i was a long time iphone 4 user.got it when in came out. just upgraded to a note 3 in feb. the screen is nice and android has come a long way since 1.0 but as soon as a large screen iphone comes out im switching back.

Maybe! While we haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise, there's no guarantee that this is representative (I remember there being 'iPhone 5' case leaks a couple of years ago that ended up being completely bogus). If it's in the general ballpark, I'd expect considerably more refinement.

iOS is going to change... it's just a question of how much. I'm pretty sure Healthbook is just scraping the surface of what's in the new software.

It will still be Apple, i.e. don't expect radical changes in either hw/sw design from current iPhones, since Apple has always done incremental changes.

I know people who were happy to make the switch to Android and swore they'd never go back, and vice versa. Its all personal preference. And don't forget WP :)

dont bother, i was a long time iphone 4 user.got it when in came out. just upgraded to a note 3 in feb. the screen is nice and android has come a long way since 1.0 but as soon as a large screen iphone comes out im switching back.

Define 'large screen iphone'? I'm on a Note 3 as well so just wondering what it would take from Apple to get you back.

The hardware alone couldn't get me to go back to iPhone. iOS8 would need to be a major UI overhaul for me to even think about it. It's 2014 and still no widgets or any real UI customization options? Come on, Apple! And would it kill ya to put a back button on your phones? You already have all that unused real estate along the bottom of the thing. Make use of it!

The hardware alone couldn't get me to go back to iPhone. iOS8 would need to be a major UI overhaul for me to even think about it. It's 2014 and still no widgets or any real UI customization options? Come on, Apple! And would it kill ya to put a back button on your phones? You already have all that unused real estate along the bottom of the thing. Make use of it!

Left to Right = backwards in an app, Right to Left = forward. Pressing the Home Key brings you back to the last place you were at. (Open an app in a folder, press Home Key = back to that folder). They are more focused on gestures, which works well in iOS.

Here's the problem: you're basically saying "make it like Android." What would be the point of using iOS if it just does everything you're already getting on another platform? That's not to say there aren't things Apple should do to improve its OS (file handling, app intents and the like), but we should be thinking about things Apple can do to make you prefer its software. Something that provides more quick-glance information without necessarily introducing widgets, for example.

Also, I'm not sure what Apple would get from having a hardware back key. Just tap the on-screen button or swipe from the left. It's a bezel, not a clown car -- you don't have to fit things in there just because you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back