iPhone Air ( iPhone 6 ) September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Rumors on the next generation iPhone, named the 'iPhone Air;

http://bgr.com/2014/01/06/apple-iphone-6-specs-size/

A new report from South Korean publication ET News says the iPhone 6, which it calls “iPhone Air,” will be just 6 millimeters thick when it is unveiled later this year, making the handset significantly thinner than its predecessors. Comparatively, the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5 have a 7.6 millimeter profile while the iPhone 5c is thicker, at 8.97 millimeters. The publication says the news comes from Chinese media, but it certainly can’t be verified at this point. The iPhone 6 will still be made of metal, although it will be a bit heavier than previous models, the same source says.

The design of the iPhone 6 will reportedly be based on the iPhone 5s, although the upcoming iOS handset is said to be bigger than the 2013 flagship model. The phone is expected to be unveiled and launched at some point in September.

Recent reports have suggested that this year Apple is going to launch iPhones with bigger displays than the 4-inch screen found in current models. The company is rumored to consider 4.7- to 5.7-inch displays for future generation devices, although that’s also a report that can’t be confirmed at this time.

Interestingly, the same etnews says that the price of the iPhone 5s will go down to $100 at some point in May, presumably in the U.S., for on-contract purchases. Only a few days ago, Best Buy dropped the price of the on-contract iPhone 5s down to $125.

Bottom line, Apple is keeping the cool Hipster style of the iPhone, by making it super razor thin, the thinnest smartphone on the market :( Everyone I talk with who have iPhone's, said they can care less about the thinness, and would be more than happy with a thicker and heavier iPhone, if that meant longer better battery life. Why not offer a iPhone 4 sized thick phone, with a massive double sized battery, and sell that along side the girly super model wafer thin phone ?

Last edited:
Because they don't need to. They don't need to triple their battery life, the consumers are happy with the battery life already. They don't need to break records at the cost of extra materials.

I'm not sure if this will be called the air, but then again I'm surprised they tagged that name onto the ipad as well.

I just don't understand this fascination with making the thinnest smartphone on the planet. Why ? What's the point ? I bet if Apple held a poll, with everyone in line on an iPhone launch day, and asked them; "What would you like for next year's iPhone ? Sexy design and super thin with same battery life, or thicker and heavier with better battery life ?" I would seriously be interested what a few thousand Apple fans would say. I would guess the majority would pick the thicker better battery life ? Or maybe not ?

Don't believe the story. It's a site with very mixed accuracy (at best) quoting sources that themselves are sketchy. Unless it's a site with a known good track record or you see convincing photos, always assume that a rumor is false.

I personally anticipate a larger iPhone in 2014, both due to competitive pressure and because the WSJ has more than once cited sources saying that Apple is testing bigger displays. And the WSJ isn't just reliable; there's strong suspicions that Apple occasionally seeds it with 'leaks' to set expectations without announcing anything (i.e. "don't jump ship, there's a bigger iPhone coming," or "here's what you'll see at event X").

Besides, who's to say that Apple can't deliver both more battery life and a thinner design? Larger screens allow for bigger batteries as a matter of course, and improvements to display and CPU technology can improve efficiency.

Don't believe the story. It's a site with very mixed accuracy (at best) quoting sources that themselves are sketchy. Unless it's a site with a known good track record or you see convincing photos, always assume that a rumor is false.

I personally anticipate a larger iPhone in 2014, both due to competitive pressure and because the WSJ has more than once cited sources saying that Apple is testing bigger displays. And the WSJ isn't just reliable; there's strong suspicions that Apple occasionally seeds it with 'leaks' to set expectations without announcing anything (i.e. "don't jump ship, there's a bigger iPhone coming," or "here's what you'll see at event X").

Besides, who's to say that Apple can't deliver both more battery life and a thinner design? Larger screens allow for bigger batteries as a matter of course, and improvements to display and CPU technology can improve efficiency.

Good comments, and I agree.

But Apple do have a hard on for releasing the 'Thinnest' smartphone each design change. They touted that with the iPhone 4, and touted that again with the iPhone 5. So will not be surprised if the iPhone 6 has the 'Thinnest' record again when released this Summer.

And yes, you make a good point,a larger screen size means bigger battery possibilities, even though still thin, the overall phone is larger, allowing room for a bigger battery still. Plus new hardware being more efficient, etc... But doing all of that, seems like it will just be the same battery life wise, not worse, but certainly not tons better either.

Why not buck the trend, and go thicker than the iPhone 5/5S ? Go to like a Galaxy S4 size at 7.9mm, and jam a good sized battery in there, and claim the battery life king of smartphones for 2014 ? But won't happen, then the new iPhone won't fit in the hipsters skinny jeans.

Only way I'd ever buy an iPhone again, is whenever Apple release ones with these additional spec's;

- Larger screen at least 4.7"
- Allows Widgets or Live Tiles on home screen.

Those two above, are the most important to me. And yes you can say stay with Android then, and I have been. But that would tempt me back over to the Apple camp.

I'll go back if its a larger screen and the OS gets an overhaul. Just so tired of seeing the same thing year after year.

I'll go back if its a larger screen and the OS gets an overhaul. Just so tired of seeing the same thing year after year.

Two big gripes for me. Tiny wristwatch sized screen, and iOS still looks the same all these years, all iOS7 did was make it look different, but still looks like 'Someone left the app drawer open"

A home screen full of app icons is so boring and just very outdated to me. I am not saying Apple needs to copy Android's widgets, or Microsoft's Live Tiles. But at least come up with some thing new and fresh, and move beyond just app icons only.

For me to get a iPhone, they will need to scratch iOS (its a 7 year old os) or do domehing lik iOS X. iOS 7 improved iOS with 64 bit support ad more but its like Symbian. The new Symbians were way newer looking then the old ones but it was still a 15 year old OS, and put Nokia near death. I like the hardware of iPhones, mostly (espiaclly with the air if these roumers are true) but the software sucks imo.

People still care about the iPhone? The world has moved on.

I have, and sure most the [H] has, but sadly the iPhone is still insanely popular, and sells by the boat loads. They can sell 5 to 10 million over a launch weekend easily :eek:

Using an iPhone 5 now, I will buy whatever phone Apple puts out as long as the screen is bigger.

Looking forward to the next iPhone as long as it has a larger screen and a decent battery.

A new report from South Korean publication ET News says the iPhone 6, which it calls “iPhone Air,” will be just 6 millimeters thick when it is unveiled later this year, making the handset significantly thinner than its predecessors.

Comparatively, the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5 have a 7.6 millimeter profile while the iPhone 5c is thicker, at 8.97 millimeters.

the thinnest smartphone on the market :(

Sorry, you're wrong.

Design meets technology.
The Sony Z Ultra merges design and technology to create a premium smartphone. 6.5mm thin, 212 grams light and powered by a Snapdragon™ 800 Quad Core processor, so you get the precise amount of power when you need it, without wasting power when you don’t.

So the new Iphone Air will look like the Sony Xperia Z Ultra, pretty much.

I hope they don't make it any thinner it's already getting to feel like a toy. Obviously the battery is going to be bigger with the added space from the larger screen but I don't think the phone will be much bigger (look at the moto x). I just hope the battery is expanded beyond the added needed power for the new screen / chip, the iPhone's battery isn't bad at all but it would be nice to get 2 full days use out of it w/o worrying or using a funky case.

Note 4 comin'.

Note 4 will be a beast, no doubt. But totally different category than the iPhone 6.

I am really looking forward to the Galaxy S5 'Google Play Edition' phone in March, and the Asus Nexus 6 phone this Fall, wasn't a fan of the LG Nexus phones.

A co-worker at the office has the original i-Phone. It is by far the most comfortable to hold. When we go to meetings and the conference table is littered with iPhone 5s, Nexus 4 & 5, everyone asks what phone the old iPhone is. Thin is just a number, comfortable is an experience, unfortunately numbers sell.

A co-worker at the office has the original i-Phone. It is by far the most comfortable to hold. When we go to meetings and the conference table is littered with iPhone 5s, Nexus 4 & 5, everyone asks what phone the old iPhone is. Thin is just a number, comfortable is an experience, unfortunately numbers sell.

I agree, the original iPhone feels great in the hand, the rounded design is very comfortable, and it has some heft to it, not light as a feather, which I liked.

I think rounded smartphones feel best in hand. The Galaxy S3 also felt really comfortable in the hand, with it's river pebble design that people laughed at, but it actually was a great phone to hold.

Compared to sharp corner phones like Sony's and Nokia's, feel very uncomfortable.

Same rumors. Different year.

I think this year will be different. Apple will finally release a much larger screen size for the iPhone 6. I am guessing at least 4.5" maybe up to 4.8". Just no way they will make an all new designed iPhone 6 and still stick with the tiny 4" screen, I just don't see that happening.

I think this year will be different. Apple will finally release a much larger screen size for the iPhone 6. I am guessing at least 4.5" maybe up to 4.8". Just no way they will make an all new designed iPhone 6 and still stick with the tiny 4" screen, I just don't see that happening.
This is now the 5th year the larger screen rumor has surfaced. I'll believe it when I see it.

This is now the 5th year the larger screen rumor has surfaced. I'll believe it when I see it.

Given that it came true in 2012, that there's some halfway-plausible leaks (not the iPhone Air bit) and that 2014 is a major redesign year for Apple, I'd say it's realistic. Don't put money down on it, but folks who are tempted by bigger-screened devices and can afford to wait will probably want to do just that.

Also, for the Anything But Apple crowd... stop. Please. No one wants a total Google monopoly in smartphones (except for Google, maybe), and Apple is the only other major competitor right now. A better iPhone means more competition, which means that Google can't grow complacent the way Microsoft did.

Believe what ? They did do that, just two years ago, Apple did the unthinkable and released a new iPhone with a larger screen in 2012. Even though Jobs himself said 3.5" was the perfect size, and no need to go bigger. They did up it .5" to 4" with the redesigned iPhone 5.

I expect the iPhone 6 this summer to go up .5" again, to have a 4.5" screen size, possibly larger.

I am a big Android fan, but if the iPhone 6 has a 4.5" to 4.8" screen, and also adds Widgets to the home screen, I'd switch back in a heartbeat.

My parents were ready to trash their iPhone's when they saw me using my note 3. fOf course to save myself from being their next IT personnel I told them to wait for the new iPhone in 2014 as it should have a much bigger screen then their 4S'.

Believe what ? They did do that, just two years ago, Apple did the unthinkable and released a new iPhone with a larger screen in 2012. Even though Jobs himself said 3.5" was the perfect size, and no need to go bigger. They did up it .5" to 4" with the redesigned iPhone 5.

I expect the iPhone 6 this summer to go up .5" again, to have a 4.5" screen size, possibly larger.

I am a big Android fan, but if the iPhone 6 has a 4.5" to 4.8" screen, and also adds Widgets to the home screen, I'd switch back in a heartbeat.

You are NOT a big Android fan if you would switch back in a heartbeat.

The only phone I have ever truly loved is the Nokia N9. If Apple did something like that, I would go to apple in a instant. But they won't. It has a open enough system (very open, can you get a terminal on any other phone besides the N900 without rooting? ), beautiful OS (sorry Apple, your not even CLOSE to MeeGo Harmatan), and beautiful hardware (If you think Apple designs great phones, go use the N9 for a few days)

Last edited:
Believe what ? They did do that, just two years ago
All they did was change the aspect ratio of the screen that did nothing but add another row of icons. Don't even begin to try and tell me that qualifies.

All they did was change the aspect ratio of the screen that did nothing but add another row of icons. Don't even begin to try and tell me that qualifies.

LOL :D I agree. I laughed at the whole, oh wow, now there is another row of icons, that's amazing, and revolutionary. :rolleyes:

But the Apple fan base was freaking over the MAJOR change in screen size on the iPhone 5, It did go up to 4" over the previous 3.5" that Jobs said was perfect size. Breaking away from the set in stone 3.5" screen size was a big deal for Apple.

So, since they did it once, I can see Apple changing screen sizes again, with a whole new design change coming in the iPhone 6.

Hey, the difference was still night-and-day if you were coming from a 4S or earlier. It counts... it's just not as big a jump in size as it should've been.

Also, for the Anything But Apple crowd... stop. Please. No one wants a total Google monopoly in smartphones (except for Google, maybe), and Apple is the only other major competitor right now. A better iPhone means more competition, which means that Google can't grow complacent the way Microsoft did.

This^

I just don't understand this fascination with making the thinnest smartphone on the planet. Why ? What's the point ? I bet if Apple held a poll, with everyone in line on an iPhone launch day, and asked them; "What would you like for next year's iPhone ? Sexy design and super thin with same battery life, or thicker and heavier with better battery life ?" I would seriously be interested what a few thousand Apple fans would say. I would guess the majority would pick the thicker better battery life ? Or maybe not ?

Thinner the device is...
1) Poor the battery life will be
2) The speaker quality will be reduced.
3) The music quality will go down (take the example of iPhone 4s and 5. Apple had to compormize the music quality in order to make it thin).

Thinner the device is...
1) Poor the battery life will be
2) The speaker quality will be reduced.
3) The music quality will go down (take the example of iPhone 4s and 5. Apple had to compormize the music quality in order to make it thin).

Hmm..iPhone 5 had one of the better battery lives and I really have no idea what you are talking about with music quality, most phones I've used were pretty mediocre. The speaker does suck on the iPhone 5 though.

Hmm..iPhone 5 had one of the better battery lives and I really have no idea what you are talking about with music quality, most phones I've used were pretty mediocre. The speaker does suck on the iPhone 5 though.

iPhones are considered to have one of the best music quality. If you read this review in Gsmarena. You will see that "Audio output takes a step back".

"Surpringly enough, the iPhone 5 audio output was a tad worse than that of the iPhone 4S. Obviously the ultra compact body demanded some compromises be made. The good news is that even though the iPhone 5 fails to match the performance of its predecessor, it still remains one of the best performers on the market. "

"The second part of our test told a similar story - the iPhone 5 is a great performer, but not quite as good as the iPhone 4S. It had higher intermodulation distortion levels, more stereo crosstalk and lower volume levels. So while last year Apple's flagship smartphone did easy work of the competition, the iPhone 5 got the victory by the skin of its teeth. "

Anands test showed the same thing but also said the note 3 has pretty good headphone quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back