iPhone Air ( iPhone 6 ) September

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does it matter? Our eyes can't perceive 1080p at that size anyway. Higher rez means less battery life. HD movies will dither down to the proper size maintaining aspect ratio.

Our eyes don't work in resolution, but anyways there's little "ppi" increase to be gained by going to actual 1080p.

Standard resolution, that's already being used on million devices (these devices work on static resolutions unlike windows/OSX).

There is also some fidelity loss while "scaling" those few hundred pixels.

Latest leaks/rumors:

Brand new camera: it may be not just a 13-megapixel sensor, but larger (so light sensitivity may be similar or better than the 8MP existing unit). Unconfirmed, but it at least makes sense. And it's arguably overdue, since Android is finally catching up in terms of consistent image quality.

NFC and 802.11ac Wi-Fi: a little easier to prove, and actually having chips present typically means they'll get used. With that said, NFC is a tougher call; it's been the "any moment now" feature that analysts love to predict and never get right. Maybe that cut-out Apple logo and/or the new antenna design isn't for looks so much as making sure that NFC works properly.

If it does happen, I'll be very curious to see what Apple uses it for. AirDrop, mobile payments and device pairing make the most sense, although those first two are tricky. Android Beam and Google Wallet's NFC payments never caught on -- it'd take a cohesive, well-done approach to make NFC work for AirDrop transfers or paying for goods from your iTunes account. Device pairing is easy. There are already Bluetooth headphones and speakers that let you set things up with a tap, and I could see Apple linking iPhones to Macs or other iOS devices.

So after years of claiming NFC was useless and coming up with their own proprietary iBeacon, Apple will add NFC support? No doubt with a fancy i-name and some closed parts.

If they do, I think we'll finally see NFC tags etc go mainstream which could be good, but they will also be overpriced for the Apple ecosystem.

If it does happen, I'll be very curious to see what Apple uses it for. AirDrop, mobile payments and device pairing make the most sense, although those first two are tricky. Android Beam and Google Wallet's NFC payments never caught on -- it'd take a cohesive, well-done approach to make NFC work for AirDrop transfers or paying for goods from your iTunes account. Device pairing is easy. There are already Bluetooth headphones and speakers that let you set things up with a tap, and I could see Apple linking iPhones to Macs or other iOS devices.

Apple has proven it can do everything it wants to do over WiFi. It would have to have a really good reason to include NFC as they don't usually follow standards they can't bend to their own needs. So unless they have a goal with the 6, that requires something like NFC, we would probably be getting the rumor of that software/capability first.

So after years of claiming NFC was useless and coming up with their own proprietary iBeacon, Apple will add NFC support? No doubt with a fancy i-name and some closed parts.

If they do, I think we'll finally see NFC tags etc go mainstream which could be good, but they will also be overpriced for the Apple ecosystem.

I doubt we will see NFC. Wifi-AC maybe, but NFC is a long shot.

We don't actually know if it'll happen -- the chip may be a clue, but it's not a guarantee.

And yes, so far NFC hasn't been all that useful. The problem isn't so much ease of use (it's typically fine) as just having all the stars align. That's why NFC usually ends up being used for little more than pairing. You don't have to hope that you have the right phone, carrier, SIM and nearby stores to maybe make a purchase. And for device-to-device transfers, Bluetooth is arguably easier for setting up the transfer, since you don't even have to be face to face.

iBeacon isn't for payments (at least, not yet), and it does work on non-Apple platforms. It's just that you need OS-level support, and there won't be a sophisticated Android implementation until the L release arrives. Think of it like you would Thunderbolt -- Apple may have been the pioneer, but it didn't create a proprietary standard.

Huh? Thunderbolt is an Intel creation and is an extension of 10Gbit ethernet.

Saying Apple pioneered Thunderbolt is like saying Samsung pioneered 802.11ac since their phones and tablets have it and Apple don't.

As for payment, shorter range is going to be preferred by the industry over long range that poses risks. Just look up Bluesnarf.

Huh? Thunderbolt is an Intel creation and is an extension of 10Gbit ethernet.

Saying Apple pioneered Thunderbolt is like saying Samsung pioneered 802.11ac since their phones and tablets have it and Apple don't.

As for payment, shorter range is going to be preferred by the industry over long range that poses risks. Just look up Bluesnarf.

Apple co-developed Thunderbolt with Intel -- it's no coincidence that the first computers to use Thunderbolt were Macs, or that the connector is based on the Mini DisplayPort spec that Apple also invented. The company couldn't have done it alone, I'm sure, but Apple's fingerprints are all over it (FireWire-like daisy chaining, that connector, attempting to make things simple).

Wireless payment does carry some risk (although Pay with Square seems to do alright). It's more just whether or not NFC phone payments will fly at all. Right now, the market for it is so horribly fragmented (limited device compatibility, carrier requirements, inconsistent store adoption) that it's a minor miracle when you can pay at all, even with efforts like Isis around. Japan seems to be the main place where bump-to-pay has taken off, and that's with FeliCa rather than full-fledged NFC.

Here we go again... Thunderbolt is just an extension of 10 GbE ethernet?!? Yet another misinformation to add to topsy turdy's hall of fame.

P.S. Aurelius, you certainly have much more patience than I do.

@Aurelius

You should be like a teacher or something. Or maybe you're a parent. How else can you explain your infinite patience? :D

Some people were taught manners and the correct use of "topsy turvy".

Intel is the sole licensor of Thunderbolt. If you want to build components for Thunderbolt you have to go to Intel not Apple. Apple is just a customer with an exclusive license that has since expired. It's like claiming Dell pioneered 40Gbit Infiniband since they were the first to ship Mellanox in their server.

Doesn't matter anyway since Thunderbolt is proprietary and will likely fade away like Firewire in favor of open wireless standards and ethernet for wired.

That really has nothing to do with what you said earlier. I'm still unsure if you understand what the technology is trying to do.

You don't understand ethernet. It, too, does data, video, plus encapsulation of other protocols like FCoE/iSCSI/etc., supports both fiber and copper transceiver and cabling, provides power for devices over copper, does link aggregation, etc. Thunderbolt is taking ethernet and making it proprietary. Seems like wasted effort for Intel to start bundling Thunderbolt with motherboards when 802.11ad WiGig is just over the horizon that is capable of 7 Gbps to 100 Gbps and doesn't require a wire.

You don't understand ethernet. It, too, does data, video, plus encapsulation of other protocols like FCoE/iSCSI/etc., supports both fiber and copper transceiver and cabling, provides power for devices over copper, does link aggregation, etc. Thunderbolt is taking ethernet and making it proprietary. Seems like wasted effort for Intel to start bundling Thunderbolt with motherboards when 802.11ad WiGig is just over the horizon that is capable of 7 Gbps to 100 Gbps and doesn't require a wire.

It's time to put up or shut up: can you provide a credible link showing that it's based on Ethernet when what we've seen only talks about PCIe and MiniDP? If not, please drop the topic. Moreover, it's borderline insane to argue that WiGig is a true substitute. You're not going to run your main display or an SSD RAID on a wireless connection, especially not if you're sharing that link with other computers on the network.

As it stands, you've managed to derail the discussion where Thunderbolt was simply intended to be an example of how Apple-developed tech isn't always limited to its hardware. The company tends to take a more open approach when it sees an advantage to increased adoption; iBeacon is an example of that, since broader support will encourage more commercial use.

Amazing... More stuff to add to Topsy Turdy's Hall of Fame. Seriously, is he coming here talking about manners? The amount of misinformation and outrageous lies he spills out from his *** stinks up the forum. This is frigging [H]; we're not frigging idiots.

P.S. Here's a roll of toilet paper. The old way is not the best way...

iBacon isn't open. It's taking open bluetooth and making it proprietary for tracking and spamming.

CHANG 3D, you still haven't progressed beyond knowing the difference between a Foxconn connector and semiconductor/electronic component so keep the paper nearby.

CHANG 3D, you still haven't progressed beyond knowing the difference between a Foxconn connector and semiconductor/electronic component so keep the paper nearby.
Nobody but you on this forum believe that Foxconn is NOT an electronic component company. Nobody but you believe that the ONLY electronic component in any electronics is the semiconductor. Foxconn is also not a company who only manufactures connectors. Everything coming out of you is turd. Are you also one of the girls in the two girls one cup video?

I would have to give it to you for sticking to your lies when proven absolutely wrong. I'll recommend you work for Fox News or some job in politics.

Last edited:
It's time to put up or shut up: can you provide a credible link showing that it's based on Ethernet when what we've seen only talks about PCIe and MiniDP? If not, please drop the topic. Moreover, it's borderline insane to argue that WiGig is a true substitute. You're not going to run your main display or an SSD RAID on a wireless connection, especially not if you're sharing that link with other computers on the network.

As it stands, you've managed to derail the discussion where Thunderbolt was simply intended to be an example of how Apple-developed tech isn't always limited to its hardware. The company tends to take a more open approach when it sees an advantage to increased adoption; iBeacon is an example of that, since broader support will encourage more commercial use.

He drew me in again! I'll stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back