iPhone 7: Why Do We Even Care?

The iPhone 7 will come with not one but TWO reality distortion fields! :) And a free copy of each Steve Jobs movie.

Honestly don't care about this release. Waiting for next year's phone which'll mark the 10 year anniversary, and rumored to be the better upgrade.

Another [H] Déjà Vu moment..

Who cares about iPhone5

Seriously why are people freaking over the new iPhone 4

71269839.jpg

It doesn't matter if you bought a phone last year. It might matter if you bought one 2 years ago and it almost certainly matters if your phone is older than that. The days of people upgrading their phone every year are probably over. I bought a 6 a few months after launch for a song and about a year later I bought a used 6s+ to replace it, because it was cheap. I doubt I'll buy a 7. I might pick up the 7s (8?) next year...we'll see what it does.

To the person saying Apple doesn't update security risks, it's a better platform for security updates than Android, because there's no guarantee that your android phone (unless it's from Google) is going to get the security update. With Apple, if the phone is still supported, it's updated, regardless of your carrier.

Every phone OS should be updated like that.

It doesn't matter if you bought a phone last year. It might matter if you bought one 2 years ago and it almost certainly matters if your phone is older than that. The days of people upgrading their phone every year are probably over. I bought a 6 a few months after launch for a song and about a year later I bought a used 6s+ to replace it, because it was cheap. I doubt I'll buy a 7. I might pick up the 7s (8?) next year...we'll see what it does.[...]
That reminds me, nVidia's GTX 980Ti launch noted they were explicitly targeting users of GTX580 and GTX680 GPUs, not GTX780Ti users.

I as well have gotten bored with the entire world at my finger tips as I no longer care or need it. As one time all that was important to me but now I just need a link to my daughter and wife and would like to have a command control for my dogs. The only thing that would interest me is a much smaller phone that had a scalable screen, one that was small but could be extended out or rolled out then coiled back up when not in use.

The fact is, we could call the the Galaxy S7, why do we even care? Phones are far to expensive but, most folks do not even give it a thought since all they see is, cool, I only $25 a month, no big deal. There are often the sames ones that may balk at spending $500 on a desktop computer to replace the one they have had for 10 years and needs to be replaced. These phones are not worth the asking price to me. (Of course, I am one of the few that actually look at the non contract full price.)

can't wait to see the loyal ppl in line. for the past couple of years, nothing fancy has surfaced so i always get a laugh seeing them in line. i'm still on iphone 5s and can wait for the 6 plus to hit craigslist. then there's the rumors of no headphone jacks, everything is moving towards bluetooth now.

I have a 6s+ and its been great cant see much reason to upgrade

have to agree, i use iPhones more because i cant stand the android OS these days. I support about 100 android phones. we did get a new Blackberry dtek50 in and its pretty nice, the os is clean and not much bloatware

It's funny how, even faithful iPhone owners are wondering why bother upgrading to the iPhone 7? For Apple's sake, let's hope they have some huge surprises up their sleeves because anything short of a mind-blowing new design is going to go over like a lead balloon.

So why do we need to put ourselves through all of this? Do we really need an iPhone 7? Is there anything, at least based on the rumors, that we really need? Sure, we usually give Apple a big fuss, but think about this. Be honest with yourself. Do you really care? Really?

I wish that you didn't care about every bit of Apple news going, so that it was not all over the front page every single day. Focus on making your own news, not regurgitating stuff that is not relevant, just for click bait. I forgot the last time I read any real journalism here.

Cuz it ditched the ubiquitous analog headphone jack for some weird proprietary bluetooth-like wireless connection and added some RAM.

"MAGICAL AND INNOVATIVE"
Hey look I make decisions based on rumors! Wooooo!

(granted they could be correct rumors...)

Edit: Turns out they were correct rumors! My bad, carry on...

Last edited:
I didn't want to upgrade my old Iphone 4s but IOS 8/9 performed like shit and when I switched carriers they wouldn't take the old phone and wouldn't give me a new one. Running a 6 now. I intend to use it as long as is possible.

It's interesting to see all the responses, and I wonder if anyone shares this sentiment; for me, Apple lost me after the iPhone 4S because I HAD to use iTunes get music on my phone (I know it didn't start then, but after the 3GS I had it was inconvenient). You would think such a small factor wouldn't be a deal breaker to me but it really is. Not just music files, but being able to plug my phone into my computer and drag and drop whatever I want is a huge deal to me. I hate iTunes, and Apple making you use it to deal with your music is unacceptable when there are so many other music alternatives out there. I buy music exclusively through Amazon Music now because you get straight MP3 downloads that I can transfer to my computer and literally transfer anywhere I want.

I remember when I had the 3GS (my first iPhone) came out I loved it. It was unlike any smartphone I have ever used before, and then I got a Android phone (forget which) and came back to iPhone since the 4S was so different but I have since been using every generation of Galaxy Note. Perfect size, S-pen is awesome, and it's the most useful phone i've ever had. If Apple let you do drag-and-drop access (without jailbreaking) and gave you more control over the phone then I would entertain giving iPhone another try.

Last edited:
Adding a micro sd slot would be good.
I have an Android with a 64gb card. I bet Apple charges big $$ for that.

It's interesting to see all the responses, and I wonder if anyone shares this sentiment; for me, Apple lost me after the iPhone 4S because I HAD to use iTunes get get music on my phone. You would think such a small factor wouldn't be a deal breaker to me but it really is. Not just music files, but being able to plug my phone into my computer and drag and drop whatever I want is a huge deal to me. I hate iTunes, and Apple making you use it to deal with your music is unacceptable when there are so many other music alternatives out there. I buy music exclusively through Amazon Music now because you get straight MP3 downloads that I can transfer to my computer and literally transfer anywhere I want.

I remember when I had the 3GS (my first iPhone) came out I loved it. It was unlike any smartphone I have ever used before, and then I got a Android phone (forget which) and came back to iPhone since the 4S was so different but I have since been using every generation of Galaxy Note. Perfect size, S-pen is awesome, and it's the most useful phone i've ever had. If Apple let you do drag-and-drop access (without jailbreaking) and gave you more control over the phone then I would entertain giving iPhone another try.

This is 100% absolutely the same case with me, although I dumped Samsung for Motorola last winter. I hated not having control over my files. I hate iTunes so much that it drove me away. Those "alternative" programs never worked very well either.
If they were to give me the same drag and drop / copy+paste control I'd have no problem going back. It's not like there aren't Google apps (Hangouts, Inbox, Calendar, Chrome, etc.) available for iOS. The native apps all support Google services, too. You can even uninstall and make non-native programs defaults on iOS now.

It wouldn't take all that much to make me go back. Drag and Drop go a long way. If Google's new Nexus/Pixel phones are the only ones without bloated/garbage launchers that's a pretty big strike on the other side.

It's interesting to see all the responses, and I wonder if anyone shares this sentiment; for me, Apple lost me after the iPhone 4S because I HAD to use iTunes get music on my phone (I know it didn't start then, but after the 3GS I had it was inconvenient). You would think such a small factor wouldn't be a deal breaker to me but it really is. Not just music files, but being able to plug my phone into my computer and drag and drop whatever I want is a huge deal to me. I hate iTunes, and Apple making you use it to deal with your music is unacceptable when there are so many other music alternatives out there. I buy music exclusively through Amazon Music now because you get straight MP3 downloads that I can transfer to my computer and literally transfer anywhere I want.

That all makes a ton of sense but you should be buying music from google as it has a Better bit rate (320 VS 256 at Amazon)

They are removing the headphone jack and since I actually use the headphone jack and charge my phone at work at the same time then I'm not buying. I'll either keep my iPhone 6 or I'll upgrade to a Google Pixel phone.

If you use Amazon music, you can add your mp3s to it and stream both Amazon songs and your songs...

I use a 6+. I upgrade typically every other cycle. I was interested in getting a new phone. More RAM, better camera, small upgrades like that. What I was really hoping for was wireless charging, though. I think I'll hold off for the 7s or maybe even the 8 now that I've seen what Apple's selling. No need for an upgrade just yet.

Kinda bummed some kind of quick charge feature was revealed

So, without the headphone jack, that means you can no longer use selfie sticks?

that uses the headphone jack to send a volume up/down signal which takes a photo... that will no longer be possible

great job Apple

That all makes a ton of sense but you should be buying music from google as it has a Better bit rate (320 VS 256 at Amazon)
No he should buy CDs and rip his own music, so he can use vorbis or flac or rerip it if a new and better format comes around...plus he'd have artwork and the ability to sell an album if he decides he doesn't want it....well that and because if he bought it on Amazon, he'd also have that album on MP3 right away and he could stream it from Amazon at anytime for free.

I've never understood the reasoning for paying for a file. It's just too easy to buy the CD and rip it to my server and have the option of a disk, a DAp or streaming. Flexibility

Make it waterproof with inductive charging and I might give a shit.

My old HTC Windows 6 phone doesn't have a headphone jack. It comes with an adaptor that plugs into USB port and has the headphone jack there. This is so not new.

No he should buy CDs and rip his own music, so he can use vorbis or flac or rerip it if a new and better format comes around...plus he'd have artwork and the ability to sell an album if he decides he doesn't want it....well that and because if he bought it on Amazon, he'd also have that album on MP3 right away and he could stream it from Amazon at anytime for free.

I've never understood the reasoning for paying for a file. It's just too easy to buy the CD and rip it to my server and have the option of a disk, a DAp or streaming. Flexibility

Well, that's actually what I do. 99% of the time I buy and rip the disc. When I don't, I buy from google. But people buying files online probably are doing that because they don't want to hassle with discs. Not everyone is an audiophile.

I don't think I care for it, but at least Apple isn't idiotic enough to make the AirPod running proprietary standards. (It's still BT 4.0)
Square's payment system still 'works', but it's going to hang awkwardly via a dongle.

I don't think I care for it, but at least Apple isn't idiotic enough to make the AirPod running proprietary standards. (It's still BT 4.0)

Hmmm no, it's a proprietary wireless technology they call "W1".

Well, that's actually what I do. 99% of the time I buy and rip the disc. When I don't, I buy from google. But people buying files online probably are doing that because they don't want to hassle with discs. Not everyone is an audiophile.
Audiophile is overused. One, if you know the original recording, you can often tell the difference. MP3 simply changes the sound signature of the highs. If this was an audiophile question, you'd need an expensive system to hear the difference. You don't.

Regardless, the point is that you get far more flexibility with a CD and you OWN the media. There's no revoking the license. This is the same reason why a physical copy of GTAIV is better than a copy from steam. Steam copies had music removed. PHysical copies did not.

This is the same for every phone, no one is doing anything interesting. I'm still waiting to replace my Droid 4. Using a moto E 2nd gen currently because there is nothing worth spending money on in the market in the size and durability I want. 4.5-4.7in screen 2200mah minimum battery, camera flash, and built like a tank. So far this moto E is nearly indestructible being dropped, tossed around, and living in my back pocket being sat on all day and when I'm crawling under car in the garage on the weekends. Tried a Z3 compact, broke that within 20 minutes, and totally unusable after it's first drop a few weeks later, had a case on it too, POS. I want a device that's actually designed for a mobile life, not a fisher price toy that requires a humongous case to actually be used in a mobile environment without failing. I'm sure somewhere a moron is going on about how they want 4k or even 1080p on their mobile screen, fuck that give me 960 or 720, I'll take the extra battery life, so again I can be mobile and not plugged into a charger, over a few more pixels at mobile screen sizes.

Audiophile is overused. One, if you know the original recording, you can often tell the difference. MP3 simply changes the sound signature of the highs. If this was an audiophile question, you'd need an expensive system to hear the difference. You don't.

Regardless, the point is that you get far more flexibility with a CD and you OWN the media. There's no revoking the license. This is the same reason why a physical copy of GTAIV is better than a copy from steam. Steam copies had music removed. PHysical copies did not.

person I was giving advice to doesn't care, posted he can't tell the difference between 256 bit rate and 320. You don't have to sell me on physical media, I'm already sold

As I stated in the Apple subforum thread about this event I always watch them knowing I'll find things to laugh about the entire event. Of course, when they start off the iPhone 7/7 Plus with a statement like "It's an all new design..." or something similar I get a giggling fit going on that takes a while to subside but usually they'll say something else that just pushes me further into it.

It looks the same (minus the hole in the bottom where the headphone jack could be), it acts the same, it has a Home button, it has two "new" colors - boy I can't wait to see all the "Jet Black" models and the scratches, they'll stand out like never before on that finish.

Oh yeah, the "stereo speakers, one at the top, one at the bottom..." comment from Schiller, my god, I'm still giggling. :D

EDIT:
Someone caught the footnote on the iPhone 7/7 Plus page about that Jet Black finish:

2. The high-gloss finish of the jet black iPhone 7 is achieved through a precision nine-step anodization and polishing process. Its surface is equally as hard as other anodized Apple products; however, its high shine may show fine micro-abrasions with use. If you are concerned about this, we suggest you use one of the many cases available to protect your iPhone.

'cause, you know, they spend $100 million perfecting the new manufacturing method to get that nine-step finish on it but obviously it ain't like they coated the thing with Gorilla Glass or something and while they're making that Jet Black as a cosmetic thing because humans are finicky in that respect they still have no problem telling you to buy a case to protect it anyway.

Apple, you're a barrel of laughs, really. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back