iPhone 7: Why Do We Even Care?

Apple is done for once smartphones become a commodity like we are seeing.

Shouldn't we do these kind of posts for ALL smartphones, and not just iPhones?

Plenty of phones out there with less differences than between iP6 and 7

Shouldn't we do these kind of posts for ALL smartphones, and not just iPhones?

Plenty of phones out there with less differences than between iP6 and 7

Site owner likes iphones more, i get most of my apple info here as opposed to other sites anymore now.

As I stated in the Apple subforum thread about this event I always watch them knowing I'll find things to laugh about the entire event. Of course, when they start off the iPhone 7/7 Plus with a statement like "It's an all new design..." or something similar I get a giggling fit going on that takes a while to subside but usually they'll say something else that just pushes me further into it.

It looks the same (minus the hole in the bottom where the headphone jack could be), it acts the same, it has a Home button, it has two "new" colors - boy I can't wait to see all the "Jet Black" models and the scratches, they'll stand out like never before on that finish.

Oh yeah, the "stereo speakers, one at the top, one at the bottom..." comment from Schiller, my god, I'm still giggling. :D

EDIT:
Someone caught the footnote on the iPhone 7/7 Plus page about that Jet Black finish:

'cause, you know, they spend $100 million perfecting the new manufacturing method to get that nine-step finish on it but obviously it ain't like they coated the thing with Gorilla Glass or something and while they're making that Jet Black as a cosmetic thing because humans are finicky in that respect they still have no problem telling you to buy a case to protect it anyway.

Apple, you're a barrel of laughs, really. ;)
I had one of those black painted over metal iphone 5's and it never had any nicks or scratches. Well -- until a coworker was shocked at my pristine phone, grabbed it out of my hands and managed to nick it with one of her rings.

They probably have to put in disclaimers for all the idiots out there.

As I stated in the Apple subforum thread about this event I always watch them knowing I'll find things to laugh about the entire event. Of course, when they start off the iPhone 7/7 Plus with a statement like "It's an all new design..." or something similar I get a giggling fit going on that takes a while to subside but usually they'll say something else that just pushes me further into it.

It looks the same (minus the hole in the bottom where the headphone jack could be), it acts the same, it has a Home button, it has two "new" colors - boy I can't wait to see all the "Jet Black" models and the scratches, they'll stand out like never before on that finish.

Oh yeah, the "stereo speakers, one at the top, one at the bottom..." comment from Schiller, my god, I'm still giggling. :D

EDIT:
Someone caught the footnote on the iPhone 7/7 Plus page about that Jet Black finish:

'cause, you know, they spend $100 million perfecting the new manufacturing method to get that nine-step finish on it but obviously it ain't like they coated the thing with Gorilla Glass or something and while they're making that Jet Black as a cosmetic thing because humans are finicky in that respect they still have no problem telling you to buy a case to protect it anyway.

Same could be said about Samsung. Really the changes have been incremental at best as well for their flagships. (I've owned gs3, note 2 and currently using note 5)

What is funny about your sarcasm, though, is that if an Android were done with that level of detail people would be saying "How come apple doesn't do this? Their phones cost $XXX and they don't even do that!"

So really, if its something Apple does for attention to detail, its stupid. If its something Android does for attention to detail its "how come apple doesn't do this?"

You anti-apple people really are getting more and more pathetic by the day.

What is funny about your sarcasm, though, is that if an Android were done with that level of detail people would be saying "How come apple doesn't do this? Their phones cost $XXX and they don't even do that!"

So really, if its something Apple does for attention to detail, its stupid. If its something Android does for attention to detail its "how come apple doesn't do this?"

Or if apple doesn't say anything about it being scratchable then some person 'discovers' it can be scratched. Then everyone is calling for a class action and wants free money.

Apparently some people are under the impression they can make phones indestructable and for $300 MSRP but choose not to because greedy.

My old HTC Windows 6 phone doesn't have a headphone jack. It comes with an adaptor that plugs into USB port and has the headphone jack there. This is so not new.

HTC Titan? I hated that adaptor, it was an odd shaped connecter, a normal usb cable would fit in the jack. And then i lost the adaptor so no more headphones!!!!

Anti-Apple til death. Embrace my patheticism. Why change after 30+ years?

HTC Titan? I hated that adaptor, it was an odd shaped connecter, a normal usb cable would fit in the jack. And then i lost the adaptor so no more headphones!!!!
Actually the USB port looks like a miniature display port with on corner angled. It had a regular USB port on the adaptor.

Don't think it was a Titan. Doesn't have any name on it except T-Mobile. And HTC.

Or if apple doesn't say anything about it being scratchable then some person 'discovers' it can be scratched. Then everyone is calling for a class action and wants free money.

Apple has learned to cover their ass this time hence the footnote on the iPhone 7/7 Plus information page telling people the Jet Black finish - for all it's lauded as - is susceptible to micro-abrasions aka scratches and scuffs to try and head off the lawsuits that might still come along and telling people if they're concerned then buy a damned protective case.

All that money (and it's just profit from the better part of the past decade, Apple has been operating off that for a while now so it's not like anything is costing them actual out-of-pocket cash revenues) spent just on creating a glossy finish.

The fact that they can a) spend that kind of money creating a new technology and manufacturing process to do that and b) do all the other things they do to improve their iPhones and c) end up charging basically the same price as the previous generation product (which is still a premium price with that 40% profit margin by default or more) in the long run seems a bit pointless to me but that's just me.

Apple has learned to cover their ass this time hence the footnote on the iPhone 7/7 Plus information page telling people the Jet Black finish - for all it's lauded as - is susceptible to micro-abrasions aka scratches and scuffs to try and head off the lawsuits that might still come along and telling people if they're concerned then buy a damned protective case.

Apple makes this "beautiful new design and finish," but wants you to put it in a case. Defeats the purpose entirely.

Apple makes this "beautiful new design and finish," but wants you to put it in a case. Defeats the purpose entirely.
That's only for the whiny people who scratch their phones and want to sue Apple for it. My 2 year old phone looks damn near brand new and has never had a case.

If you've used a 6/6+, you already know they're too slippery to be used without a case. I don't really care about the backs, other than I want to keep it in new condition so I can sell it to someone else :D

If you've used a 6/6+, you already know they're too slippery to be used without a case. I don't really care about the backs, other than I want to keep it in new condition so I can sell it to someone else :D

Eh? I haven't dropped my 6S+ at all. Then again I realize this is a $800+ device and I make sure to actually hold it ;)

I use my phone without a case and have yet to drop it.

The rest of my phone is fine, but we really got screwed on the ram amount.
They had to leave something out in order to get you to 'upgrade' the next cycle.
The icloud system is a shitshow....it syncs some stuff, not others...Want to copy a pdf file to your iphone from your PC and take it to work? Fat fucking chance of that
Yeah, they don't really want you doing that. Actually, I'm surprised that they haven't come out with a nice shiny Apple thumb drive with only a lightning connection. So they can sell you a special usb/lightning thingy to stick into your usb port in your computer for oh, $30. Because they'll make it 'smart', and it will know if you're using the official Apple part, or it won't work right. Just like some charger wires were 'unsupported devices' so the phone wouldn't allow you to charge it. That was another brilliant Apple move; telling their customers that the unauthorized charging cables might damage the phone/pod/pad, so that's why they made sure they wouldn't work at all.
It doesn't matter if you bought a phone last year. It might matter if you bought one 2 years ago and it almost certainly matters if your phone is older than that. The days of people upgrading their phone every year are probably over.
Not every year, but every OTHER year so you stay under contract.

It's interesting to see all the responses, and I wonder if anyone shares this sentiment; for me, Apple lost me after the iPhone 4S because I HAD to use iTunes get music on my phone (I know it didn't start then, but after the 3GS I had it was inconvenient). You would think such a small factor wouldn't be a deal breaker to me but it really is. Not just music files, but being able to plug my phone into my computer and drag and drop whatever I want is a huge deal to me. I hate iTunes, and Apple making you use it to deal with your music is unacceptable when there are so many other music alternatives out there. I buy music exclusively through Amazon Music now because you get straight MP3 downloads that I can transfer to my computer and literally transfer anywhere I want.
Yup, itunes was one of two deciding factors of my going android. The other was Apples' planned obsolescence; new versions of apps wouldn't work with the older phone, and there was no way to get the older versions of the apps. Why? Because they WANT you to buy a new phone every two years. So they make your old phone gradually worthless, as more and more apps gradually stop working (or freeze up the phone because they require more memory than the phone can supply).

Adding a micro sd slot would be good. I bet Apple charges big $$ for that.
Youuuuuuuuu BETCHA! Big money to get more storage in iphones. No way they're going to give that up.

The point is that moving to an all-digital connection would make the iPhone a viable quality audio source.
Thing is, 99% of iphone users listen to their music with a pair of crappy earbuds, and can't tell the difference between 128 bit MP3's and CD quality anyway. They buy iphones for convenience, not audio quality. Hell, most of 'em wouldn't notice if their songs played in mono, as long as the dynamic range is FM quality.

So, without the headphone jack, that means you can no longer use selfie sticks?
Sure, Apple will sell you a new proprietary one that fits into your lightning connector. For a hefty price, of course.

Make it waterproof with inductive charging and I might give a shit.
Why? This way they get to sell you another phone when you get it wet.

- Why? - I think that all aspects of the apple are excellent.
As long as you have plenty of money to buy a new phone, computer, and lots of software and music from Apple, it's not terrible. Awful, but not terrible. As far as I can see, most of what they do is trick their customers into doing stuff so they will buy more shit.

Despite all the parodies coming out and all the shit talking, it'll be a record seller for Apple again. Just don't get it.
It's not because they're invested in the apple ecosystem; it's because it's what most of the sheeple want. Iphones are still considered by most people as the best phones. It's the one the girls all want, and the boys want one because it's a status symbol of sorts. It's like getting a new car every two years used to be: Just part of what 'successful' people do.

Actually, I'm in awe of how well Apple has managed to create a product that has people willing to shovel so much cash into Apple's coffers every single month. A new 'improved' (miniscule improvement every model, of course, in order to maintain the upgrade 'ladder' with every new model) device every half year or so. And people buy it. Happily. I know people who can't afford to fix their cars, but have to get the 'new improved' iphone every time it comes out, with, of course, some new stupid cover as well.

Microsoft struggles to get people to upgrade their OS. Apple, OTOH, has no problem at all getting people to buy the 'new improved' POS, even has people lining up in front of the stores when the new POS is expected to arrive. Must drive the top brass at Microsoft absolutely nuts; they can't even GIVE windows 10 away, but Apple manages to get those same people to joyfully sign a contract to pay about $80 a month to Apple, and that's a minimum, not including all the software and media purchases that they make.

I don't really use or like apple devices or the system they use. But I love the way that it must make the greedy microsoft people fume because Apple figured out a better way to con their customers.

Last edited:
Yeah, they don't really want you doing that. Actually, I'm surprised that they haven't come out with a nice shiny Apple thumb drive with only a lightning connection. So they can sell you a special usb/lightning thingy to stick into your usb port in your computer for oh, $30. Because they'll make it 'smart', and it will know if you're using the official Apple part, or it won't work right. Just like some charger wires were 'unsupported devices' so the phone wouldn't allow you to charge it. That was another brilliant Apple move; telling their customers that the unauthorized charging cables might damage the phone/pod/pad, so that's why they made sure they wouldn't work at all.
It's ridiculous how much shit gets talked on these forums by people who have no idea what they're blathering on about.

If you have a PDF on your computer it will automatically sync with your iCloud account, which then populates on your phone *and* stays in the cloud so you can access it from any iOS device or any browser. Not to mention if you absolutely have to sync it you can via iTunes. But it's far easier to use airdrop. I've been using Apple products for years now and I haven't even opened iTunes for the past few years other than to restore a phone.

The only people I know who actually carry USB sticks anywhere are people older than 50 years old who don't know any better or completely computer illiterate and then some niche geeks who carry backpacks of cables, dongles, adapters, USB sticks, external drives, etc. because you never know when the world might end and you just have to have that one particular ISO.

New phones in general just aren't interesting to me anymore. I try to get as much mileage out of mine as possible. About the only thing that would excite me at this point is a breakthrough in battery tech...

That's only for the whiny people who scratch their phones and want to sue Apple for it. My 2 year old phone looks damn near brand new and has never had a case.

I take exceptional care of everything I own, it's just a trait some of us have.. however at my age (mid 40s) I find that I do fumble and drop things more and phones have been dropped. I use a case for that reason. You must be young and if so damn you!

They look awesome in my view and I haven't owned one personally. You can be completely anti-apple and still be forced to buy them.. here is looking at you wife and kids :) In reality I am not anti-apple, I just have a requirement or two they can't meet.

The 6+ is the first iPhone (first phone actually) that I've ever dropped and broken.

It wasn't a huge issue, though, since I took it into an Apple store and escalated it up to a manager and explained that the level of service wasn't what I had grown accustomed to receiving due to previous experiences that had been resolved in a customer forward manner. The manager replaced it and wrote it down in the computer as, "meeting the expectations set by Apple corporate."

Only reason I want the 7 is the non mechanical home button.

I mean it is a good upgrade over the 6S+ just not in areas I care about.

I'll probably upgrade to the 7S+ if it ups the battery life and maybe screen size.

If you have a PDF on your computer it will automatically sync with your iCloud account, which then populates on your phone *and* stays in the cloud so you can access it from any iOS device or any browser. Not to mention if you absolutely have to sync it you can via iTunes. But it's far easier to use airdrop. I've been using Apple products for years now and I haven't even opened iTunes for the past few years other than to restore a phone.
The only people I know who actually carry USB sticks anywhere are people older than 50 years old who don't know any better or completely computer illiterate and then some niche geeks who carry backpacks of cables, dongles, adapters, USB sticks, external drives, etc. because you never know when the world might end and you just have to have that one particular ISO.
Can't speak for everyone else, but I don't want Apple or microsoft or google deciding how and where my data should be stored. Been through that once with Doublespace. Never again.

Back