iPhone 5 is officially the worlds most powerful phone

As a guy who has actually cooked up custom ROM's for one of the early Android phones (Moto Cliq, 1.5 Donut - 2.1 Eclair), flashing custom ROM's, installing custom recoveries, using RSD lite in case of a soft brick, playing around with bootloaders by using cross-hashed zip updates from similar hardware based phones in the same line of phones, typing a story of ADB commands to commit custom ROM flashing and making sure you don't mistype one line of two similar kinds due to possible hard bricking, ROM flashing then was not as easy as the process of doing it today as most things, if not , all are simplified.

There was a 80% chance that you had to learn a whole lot of commands to flash something back then. These day's and thanks to dev's, the process is simplistic, as you said, download an exe, attach phone and make sure development mode settings are on, click exe, let the process begin > continue till end whether be it a root process or custom recovery image etc, is a whole lot different to what user's on 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 had to do.

While it isn't a technical achievement such as writing a complete program that would compile and execute, but it is sort of a technical achievement at the end of the day. (A good feeling one too, if you don't manage to brick your phone).

I followed early Android ROM flashing and it didn't interest me at all. I've had to write complete programs and don't have any interest in doing the same, for free basically. Is this rocket science? No. Are we using fancy algorithms? Nope.

I didn't write the tools to recover our products from a firmware download failure (a real failure, such as due to power loss during a download), but the source isn't difficult to follow. I don't think any of our firmware developers or my "tools" friends have any side projects going. Either we don't care or are too tired from our day jobs.

Last edited:
I followed early Android ROM flashing and it didn't interest me at all. I've had to write complete programs and don't have any interest in doing the same, for free basically. Is this rocket science? No. Are we using fancy algorithms? Nope.

True, but don't forget it is a different approach for those who are new to terminal commandline typing and those who don't have any sort of programming background.

But I'm curious as to what this "tool" or firmware flashing your talking about.

True, but don't forget it is a different approach for those who are new to terminal commandline typing and those who don't have any sort of programming background.

But I'm curious as to what this "tool" or firmware flashing your talking about.

First, my apologies. I wasn't referring to people like you when I talk about Android users running an exe. I hate those fuckers.

As for firmware downloads I can't tell you what particular tool or company, but I can give you a general background. OEMs, include our add-in boards on their servers. Most of the time the OEM doesn't write the tool that updates the firmware. That's were people like me come in. I write tools that inventories our devices on a server and presents the data in a well known format so the OEM's tool can decide what to present to the end user. Basically, the OEM's fancy GUI will tell the user, version A is installed, do you want to install version B? The user clicks yes and the OEMs wrapper calls my tool to do the actual work.

In the old(er) days of Fibre Channel tools like my tool would do the painstaking work of getting the board ready for a download, verifying that image is compatible, and then writing the image to the board. Firmware would be written in logical units and only after it's completed successfully would the firmware be activated. We don't do this anymore because different teams are not using the same code and this leads to additional testing.

Now it's much easier. Minimal verification of the image and the image is basically sent to the firmware and the firmware does the work. Recent versions of Linux actually allow updating firmware using ethtool or by using SysFS. I expect our competitors or even different fields to use this approach.

The actual process is getting easier. All this sounds much more exciting that what I think it is. And it's not that I'm super smart, but it really isn't that difficult. What IS difficult is making long-term design decisions.

While Im pro-android Ill let Apple fans revel in their new hardware and wait for something bad to happen like faulty antennas or defective batteries or some other crap.

While Im pro-android Ill let Apple fans revel in their new hardware and wait for something bad to happen like faulty antennas or defective batteries or some other crap.

At least you're honest. I'll wait for the next Samsung price fixing scandal for my laughs. It'll happen.

I love hearing and reading all the articles claiming the iphone 5 is better than the S3... S3 with Jelly Bean is a faster phone, better screen, incredible camera, better battery life, and the ability to customize the phone EXACTLY how I want it.... I've used both devices on a day to day basis and the S3 has been the better phone IMO by far.

I have been trolling my friends who are brainwashed Apple fans, and they just posted benchmarks on my FB page. I was genuinely impressed, went over to my phone and tried to find one area where it lagged or was lacking.

Imagine my surprise when it did everything I demanded of it without so much as a hiccup. I have a half-screen sized widget on every home screen, and the only time there is a hint of lag is when I end all applications, clear the RAM, and then frantically swipe through the home pages. Is that tiny bit of lag during that one scenario a problem? Uh.... no.

What I do have is a much more open, customizeable, and capable device. The camera has replaced my point and shoot, and I can watch streaming football matches at work clear enough on the large screen. When I go home I put the phone up on the car mount and stream XM, and put on Google navigation with traffic. In a month or so when Jelly Bean is released the navigation will automatically route me to avoid it.

Is the iPhone more powerful? Looks like it. Can it do the things my phone does better? I believe the answer is categorically no. If I want my phone to be more of a phone than a multipurpose device I would buy an iPhone.... which is why I didn't buy an iPhone. If you want your phone as a phone primarily or you dont want to have to configure, then the iPhone is for you.

My wife, for instance, would probably do better with an iPhone because she is the least curious person I know in terms of electronics.

Hmm, the iPhone beats Android yet again? No surprise here really. I'm pretty sure Android has been playing catch up since it was created.

iPhone remains king!

iphone is a status symbol (a poor one at that). It reminds me of my friend's kid who spent $4 grand on a 17" mac book pro just so he can say he's cool all the while he keeps asking his mom for more money to eat lol

Just posted this in the SIII is officially the fastest phone in the world. The upcoming One X+ and SG Note 2 are faster than the SIII, unconfirmed whether it's running on JB or not, but it probably won't.

I expected Android fans to claim that there will be an Android phone out soon that beats this.

But that is missing the point,

iOS does more with less. Thats why a 4S, with waaaay less power than an S3, could keep up.

Now we have a phone with supercharged hardware, still running the super efficient iOS.

Even if an Android phone comes out that scores 2500, it still wont match the iPhone 5 in real world performance.

Sucks to be an Androiud fan right now. Losing out on both raw power AND efficiency.
nice troll attempt..

but iOS does less with less. the operating system is fundamentally the same old thing that the iPhone 3GS ran. no updates whatsoever.

if you like running really old software on fast hardware - then the iPhone 5 is for you... no doubt. it's like having a Ferarri and being forced to drive it on 15mph roads. or having a core i7 running windows ME.

android on the other hand? the software continues to evolve and it's more advanced than iOS in terms of abilities. unlike apple, the software actually takes advantage of the extremely fast hardware under the hood. you can interact directly with the file system, batteries are removable, and you can put a micro SD card in to get extra storage. all of those possibilities aren't feasible on apple's locked down platform.

for those reasons, i'll be switching from iPhone 4 to GS3 in the coming months

nice troll attempt..

but iOS does less with less. the operating system is fundamentally the same old thing that the iPhone 3GS ran. no updates whatsoever.

if you like running really old software on fast hardware - then the iPhone 5 is for you... no doubt. it's like having a Ferarri and being forced to drive it on 15mph roads. or having a core i7 running windows ME.

android on the other hand? the software continues to evolve and it's more advanced than iOS in terms of abilities. unlike apple, the software actually takes advantage of the extremely fast hardware under the hood. you can interact directly with the file system, batteries are removable, and you can put a micro SD card in to get extra storage. all of those possibilities aren't feasible on apple's locked down platform.

for those reasons, i'll be switching from iPhone 4 to GS3 in the coming months

Worst analogy i've ever heard.

If my main priority is gaming the iPhone 5 is the best phone. No question. The substantial GPU power, and decent CPU power means it can (and will) run beast games. (Look at Real Racing 3 as an example)

If iOS in general does everything I allready need it do I really don't care if 'all da power' is being used just to run basic functions. In fact, I would say you have a serious problem with your OS if it requires all the compute power available of the hardware just to do basic tasks.

The power is there to run games, process photos, and record 1080p video. (Along with other tasks) One of the big improvements of 'speed' for day to day usage I saw on the iPhone 5 I tested was taking HDR photos. On the iPhone 4 and 4s it takes a decent amount of time for it to process the HDR photo. On the iPhone 5 it takes and processes the HDR photos in under a second.

If my main priority is gaming the iPhone 5 is the best phone. No question. The substantial GPU power, and decent CPU power means it can (and will) run beast games. (Look at Real Racing 3 as an example)

If iOS in general does everything I allready need it do I really don't care if 'all da power' is being used just to run basic functions. In fact, I would say you have a serious problem with your OS if it requires all the compute power available of the hardware just to do basic tasks.

The power is there to run games, process photos, and record 1080p video. (Along with other tasks) One of the big improvements of 'speed' for day to day usage I saw on the iPhone 5 I tested was taking HDR photos. On the iPhone 4 and 4s it takes a decent amount of time for it to process the HDR photo. On the iPhone 5 it takes and processes the HDR photos in under a second.
My point is that Apple has gone through 5 generations of silicon (iPhone 3, Iphone 3GS, Iphone 4, iPhone 4S, and now iPhone 5) with basically the same user interface. Try to tell me what is so different about the new iOS6 compared to previous generations. It's fundamentally the same thing.

The Android software, however, has really evolved and it's night and day compared to where it was 2-3 years ago.

There is just no evolution whatsoever on the iOS software side outside of a few games that can actually take advantage of the hardware.

Like I said, if you like running cutting-edge software on a stripped down (and very locked down) OS that hasn't been updated since 2006... then I think the iPhone 5 is for you. I've been very happy with my iPhone 4 for the past 2 years, but I'm not going to "upgrade" to something that is fundamentally the same thing that I've been using for the past 2 years.

For folks who want to experience the cutting edge mobile experience, Android is a better option.

Haven't even gotten my new GS3 yet and I've already converted another user to Android ;) He has been with Apple since the original iPhone then the iPhone4 and was on the fence for the iPhone5. His wife got the iPhone5 and compared to the 4 he just felt the OS was the "same old thing" so I talked him into taking the plunge and trying out Android since it will be a corporate phone and he wouldn't have to pay. The hardware is great and all, but general usability just feels like the same thing (even if it is more responsive or has a better screen).

He did have a good analogy though. He commented that IOS is about to the point of Windows 95 before the transition to Windows XP, or XP transitioning to Windows 7. Sure it works, but it feels like it is time to update the UI and make it different. Imagine if we were still using Windows 95 on all our desktops (yuck). I felt like he had a good point. I understand not wanting to change what is working... but at some point you have to make a change to UI to change things up or it starts to feel stagnant, no matter what tweaks and changes you make in the background...

Haven't even gotten my new GS3 yet and I've already converted another user to Android ;) He has been with Apple since the original iPhone then the iPhone4 and was on the fence for the iPhone5. His wife got the iPhone5 and compared to the 4 he just felt the OS was the "same old thing" so I talked him into taking the plunge and trying out Android since it will be a corporate phone and he wouldn't have to pay. The hardware is great and all, but general usability just feels like the same thing (even if it is more responsive or has a better screen).

He did have a good analogy though. He commented that IOS is about to the point of Windows 95 before the transition to Windows XP, or XP transitioning to Windows 7. Sure it works, but it feels like it is time to update the UI and make it different. Imagine if we were still using Windows 95 on all our desktops (yuck). I felt like he had a good point. I understand not wanting to change what is working... but at some point you have to make a change to UI to change things up or it starts to feel stagnant, no matter what tweaks and changes you make in the background...
Exactly - that is where I'm at.

Just to be clear... I think the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5 are great phones, but the OS-evolution has been a little stagnant for me and I'm eager to try out a new experience. I can't imagine using the same mobile OS for 4 years, haha.

My point is that Apple has gone through 5 generations of silicon (iPhone 3, Iphone 3GS, Iphone 4, iPhone 4S, and now iPhone 5) with basically the same user interface. Try to tell me what is so different about the new iOS6 compared to previous generations. It's fundamentally the same thing.

The Android software, however, has really evolved and it's night and day compared to where it was 2-3 years ago.

There is just no evolution whatsoever on the iOS software side outside of a few games that can actually take advantage of the hardware.

Like I said, if you like running cutting-edge software on a stripped down (and very locked down) OS that hasn't been updated since 2006... then I think the iPhone 5 is for you. I've been very happy with my iPhone 4 for the past 2 years, but I'm not going to "upgrade" to something that is fundamentally the same thing that I've been using for the past 2 years.

For folks who want to experience the cutting edge mobile experience, Android is a better option.

I think you are forgetting that Android had to 'evolve' substantially during a certain period of time because it was missing many underlying features that allowed the OS to run in a fashion that the average Joe would tolerate compared to iOS. iOS doesn't need to 'evolve' because it does the job that it needs to do just fine. Nor would it make sense for Apple to completely change the feel of the OS just because some users are bored and want it to look different for no other reason then to see something new. You fix what needs fixing, and you update what needs updating. In the case of iOS - the 'feel' and layout of the OS was done right from Day 1. So all Apple has to do at this point is just update certain features and functions of built in apps. It doesn't need to struggle against hundreds of different devices, screen sizes, and feature sets.

The iPhone 5 is as 'cutting edge' as the hardware gets. Better touch screen, light as shit but durable, excellent battery life due to second gen LTE, and a GPU that is on par with the iPad 3. These things to me are 'cutting edge' and I can clearly see the effect of it running games. I have no need for a new GUI in iOS. It works, and it works fine. I frankly have no idea how you would improve it. Maybe add 'real multitasking', but you do this at the expense of stability and battery life.

It is worth mentioning that Apple did change some subtle things to the GUI in iOS6. You wouldn't notice unless you use the device on a day-to-day basis. So it has been visually 'updated' to a small degree.

You guys mention Windows, and the way it 'looks'.

Last time I looked, Windows 7 fundamentally doesn't look much different then 2000. It has some enhanced colors and textures for 2012. The task bar is still the task bar though, and explorer is still explorer. Has some new features here and there, but we aren't talking.. Windows 8 change, and look at how much people like the GUI changes in windows 8. They don't. Every version of Windows since 95 has had the same basic layout. If you were competent with the GUI layout of 95 you could jump into using 7 no problem. Meanwhile, you can be a master of GUI and control for Windows 7 and be completely fucked when it comes to even logging into Windows 8.

So you say you want big changes to the GUI/feel/layout of iOS. I say in reality, you don't. The subtle changes from each release are more then enough. Go to far and you end up with a Windows 8 situation where users don't even know how to do basic tasks anymore.

Last edited:
So you say you want big changes to the GUI/feel/layout of iOS. I say in reality, you don't. The subtle changes from each release are more then enough. Go to far and you end up with a Windows 8 situation where users don't even know how to do basic tasks anymore.
I really do want some major changes though, which is the reason why I'll be switching from iPhone 4 to Android in the coming weeks. Trust me man.. I know what I want and I wouldn't make things up. haha

TheVerge did a very good job at summing up my thoughts

But there's also another segment of the market, of which I consider myself a part. That segment thinks that there's still a lot of work to be done in mobile devices; still a lot of innovation to come. And that's not innovation for the sake of innovation. I mean real innovation in the way we use our phones, in the flexibility of those operating systems, in how those devices become an extension of ourselves. For that segment, I think the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 fall short. There's a lot more work to be done, but right now Apple seems to be in a holding pattern, too comfortable or too scared to take real chances.

I'll be eagerly awaiting the moment that Apple joins the messy fray again. I have no doubt it will happen. But until then, thank goodness for competition.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/21/3363238/iphone-5-review
Agree 100% with that

iphone is a status symbol (a poor one at that). It reminds me of my friend's kid who spent $4 grand on a 17" mac book pro just so he can say he's cool all the while he keeps asking his mom for more money to eat lol

The iPhone hasn't been a status symbol since the 3G.

My priority is gaming on a small screen. I don't want a larger screen, I like my games on small screens because I consider that cutting edge when my fingers still get in the way of my view. I am also being sarcastic. :p

The iPhone hasn't been a status symbol since the 3G.

You must not be seeing all the people I'm seeing.

As mentioned before, the iphone has its place with a certain group of users. It's not the best, like every phone it's best for only certain users. Android (and even WP7/8) with their variations in size and specs and all the choice you get can be best for a much larger group of individuals though.

I chose Android because i like the platform better (simple preference, don't really see it as "better"), and even though i'm not partisan about those companies in the least, there are a few things about Apple which i simply cannot stomach.

Still, because i'm not in fact partisan about those companies, i look at any actual, concrete improvement by Apple as a positive thing, because it means it will spur Android manufacturers into a frenzy to try to get ahead, which will invariably result in better products for me.

So, good job Apple. Can't wait for my next Android purchase. :D

well, after looking around at some Android phones (S3 and Razor MAXX), I decided to go ahead and give the new iPhone a try since I have a 15 day window to return it. I got to say that I'm really pleased with my decision.

It's thin, extremely lightweight, extremely fast/snappy and has a lot of nice upgrades over my old phone. The screen is pretty badass... love the color saturation. The battery life seems pretty decent and I really like how cool it stays, even when running demanding 3D games. LTE rules aswell. Everything on the web is a millisecond away. I really couldn't be happier (unless a jailbreak was made avalible today lol)

My only complaint is the weight (go figure). It's so light that it actually feels somewhat cheap. If I didn't know any better, I'd of sworn that it was made out of plastic. I'm used to phones that have a little bit of mass to them.

Yeah the race to thinner/lighter really annoys me because after a certain point it gets harder to firmly grasp and you know they could have just put a larger battery in.

Back