iPhone 5 is officially the worlds most powerful phone

On the business side of the equation you know your phone is "the shit" when you see lower income families and ghetto type people all rocking an iphone.

They can barely make the rent, on welfare, and the kids have zero shot at college -- but damn it! They have an iphone!

On the other side of the equation -- you have the douchey hipster that actually has an erection over the outlay of 800+ dollars on a toy that *might* have a life of 1 year or less. Why pay down your student loans for that art school you failed out of when you could do this instead?

I find that Apple phones last at least 2.5-3 years. Just don't be an idiot of marketing and buy every year.

I find that Apple phones last at least 2.5-3 years. Just don't be an idiot of marketing and buy every year.

Well not to simplify the comparison, the other day I was at lowes waiting in line behind a person who was trying to pay with a credit card, glued to her iphone 4. Her credit card was denied three times only looking up to reswipe the card, then eventually breaking out a different credit card which happened to work. All she was buying was some paint too...

This could work with any expensive device and people with poor spending habits, just thought it was funny she was using an iphone.

On the business side of the equation you know your phone is "the shit" when you see lower income families and ghetto type people all rocking an iphone.

They can barely make the rent, on welfare, and the kids have zero shot at college -- but damn it! They have an iphone!

On the other side of the equation -- you have the douchey hipster that actually has an erection over the outlay of 800+ dollars on a toy that *might* have a life of 1 year or less. Why pay down your student loans for that art school you failed out of when you could do this instead?

Literally everyone I know making under $100K/year with an iPhone upgrades every two years. And that is probably close to 40 people just at work.

For the people making 6 figures, who gives a shit?!?

You don't need to make $100k/year to buy an iphone every 2 years....Also, here in Canada flagship android / iphones costs pretty much the same exact thing on contract. And buying out right, android is generally $50 cheaper? if that. But drop in value very quickly.

This just in, new hardware beats old hardware.

My phone works just great for what I want it to do, make phone calls, text, email and internet...I don't care what numbers it can crunch or if it could fly.

I don't make 6 figures, but even if I did I doubt I'd upgrade every year. But iPhones are a special case, since you can almost always sell a used one for a lot of money, so the upgrade doesn't really cost that much. They sell quick on craigslist/ebay.

I see a lot of people on forums talk about owning 4-5 premium phones in 1-2 years, I always wonder if they're just good at selling them or willing to take a big hit.

Literally everyone I know making under $100K/year with an iPhone upgrades every two years. And that is probably close to 40 people just at work.

I have no problem agreeing with you - I used to BE one of the guys making six figures a year (yay oil and gas) till the economy imploded. And it's true, a 500 dollars phone is nothing when you make that in a day.

My point was more geared towards the people that are on WIC and live in public housing. 500 dollars to them is for some an entire months income (actual worked income, not welfare or anything like that) . And it's a little odd how people receiving public assistance (aka my tax money) have newer more fashionable clothes than I do, the latest iphone, and a set of shiny pimped our rims.

If you are on a shared plan, then upgrading every year isn't nearly as expensive as you might thing. It's roughly $250 total premium over a 2 year contract period. Add a new line with your new phone, swap the phones on your old number, and ask verizon/att to put in a fake tablet id on the new line. Gets you your upgraded phone at a very reduced cost and only costs $10 extra per month to hold the line active.

I upgrade every year. Don't quite make 100k yet.

Back