iPad Swapping out the Charge?

For Apple's current laptop products the battery is covered for one year, or upto 3 years if an AppleCare warranty is purchased and the battery failure is determined to be a manufacturer defect.

The AppleCare for the ipad is similar to their ipod warranties where it is only for two years not three. I would expect there to be as much lenience as there currently is for Ipod repairs (read replacements) and them to operate in much the same fashion. What would worry me with the replacements would be the cell card in the ipod and the service interruption causing additional charges. If you can manage to have sensitive data on the ipad I would be concerned for that as well.

As they have not yet been released no one will really know until someone is unlucky enough to have to have it replaced. Again - As it has not yet been released, all there is to work off of is what Apple has provided for information. The positives and negatives will be known once the service is needed.

Um . . .. I sense some class action suits coming, people loosing data, or someone getting a new ipad loaded with someone else's personal information. This is a wet dream for a lawyer, apple is diving head long into a shit storm. They need to pull back and redesign, but they are so eager and hell bent on being the first and gaining market share they have again built a poor product, and I hope they suffer great financial loss for it!

Losing what data? The damn thing doesnt hold hardly anything

Sinister? Yes. Brilliant? Yes. Think about it - the majority of Apple fan boi's will think this is a super deal and argue that they couldn't possibly get the product so thin with a removable battery.

The rest of us know that it's simply a money grab. They're just going to open the thing, swap a battery that probably costs them $5 and then reseal it. The shipping probably covers half the deal. Profit!

I don't understand Apple... do we really need to be protected from replacing batteries? Or do they just like having that much control over the product? I don't know about that, but I do know I'm never giving another cent to Apple.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Anybody defending this move as "OMFG new hardware for only $100" or "batteries deteriorate over time" is obviously not comprehending the fact that practically every other device using a lithium-ion battery can be fixed by the consumer and generally less cash (except when it comes to exhorbitant notebook battery prices).

I can just constantly run and charge my android phone to the point where the battery lasts a couple of hours at best and go buy a brand new one at any T-Mobile store for $25. In other words, I just spent 75% less on the product, spent 50% less in gas than the shipping charge will be (at least), I didn't have to wait for the replacement to show up in the mail, AND I don't have to re-sync anything. The best part about owning an Android phone? It'll do pretty much anything the iPad will do, but I don't have to look like a douchebag when I use it.

I also have a Dell Vostro 1500 that I could get a brand new battery for $45. Again, far cheaper than this $100 "it's an apple product" charge and I don't have to re-install anything. In this case, I do have to get it shipped which means I do have to wait a week, but I'm still paying 55% less and I don't need to spend any time bringing my device up to speed. Not to mention in this case I'm using a more powerful and more capable machine.

How 'fair' does that $100+shipping seem now?

Is $100.00 is a reasonable price for an iPad replacement battery? I don't have enough information on it to know. However, part of Apples decision likely has to do with aesthetics. The iPod/iPhone/iPad look better because they have no sign of a battery compartment (you don't have to agree with that, that almost certainly went into the design decision.

What I will say is that it's completely and utterly ridiculous to compare the price of a phone battery with one of an extra large iPod Touch (or a netbook with a large touch screen). And frankly, whenever I've shopped for replacement Cell Phone batteries, OEM replacements were generally in the $50.00 range. It's safe to say that the iPad has a bigger battery than an Android mobile device.

So given the typical lifespan of a lithium ion battery, you are essentially paying $800 for the Ipad and then being forced to pay $107 ever 15 months or so to be able to continue using your ipad as a mobile device.

What a Deal!
:rolleyes:

Batteries that can't be replaced by a customer are a Stupid idea.

A lot of people missed the point of this. You swap you iPad at the store for a new one immediately. Seems like a good deal really, as a new battery for a laptop is generally at least $100. This doesn't seem to be saying anything about defective batteries, just those that wear out over time, like all batteries do. Obviously folks that would tear the thing up and replace the battery themselves need not apply, but for general public, sounds nice.

As for data security, just format (or whatever the equivalent process is) first, just like any normal laptop like repair. It would be cool if the Apple store would transfer your personal data to the new one as part of the process.

Laptop battery is user replaceable and can be had for like $50. You also keep your laptop.

Yes you can format before sending it in, if it can actually stay charged long enough. I don't know how the iPad will work, but let's hope that it'll actually run while it's plugged in. Would be stupid if it didn't, everything else does.

Not that a format will do crap. Let's hope someone actually decide to make a diskwipe utility that'll throw 1's and 0's onto the memory to actually wipe it clean. Cause I'm sure someone's going to make a disk recovery app for it.

------------

@nilepez

I bought a new battery for my 12.1" laptop for $50 from the OEM. Every laptop battery can be had for $50 on Ebay. It'll probably be some cheap knockoff, but they work just as well.

It's like, whenever a news article talks about Apple - every poster in the thread* gets an instant -100 IQ buff.

*There are some posters able to resist this powerful magic, but they're very few, and very far between.

I already disliked the iPad from the first announcement from Steve Jobs, this just didn't reinforce my opinion on the device at all. I do like some Apple products though, I really do. I've bought the Nano since 3rd gen and own the current gen now. I just think the iPad is a waste of resources and money, especially since Apple thought it was a brilliant ideal to lock out phone calls from the giant iPhone device as well as block all flash websites.

I don't want to send a device back to get a battery replaced. This is the reason why I stopped buying consoles because when something breaks or needs repair, the whole damn thing has to be sent in. With a normal PC, all you have to do is replace the part from your local computer store. If you have a warranty, you can use the part you bought as a stop gap until your RMA arrives. Leaving customers without their iPad and then exposing them to the risk of getting their personal information stolen is stupid. Any device that needs me to send it in for a new battery, I would stay away from. I'm sure when people start receiving refurbished iPads in return the Apple forums blow up because of it.

I don't understand Apple... do we really need to be protected from replacing batteries? Or do they just like having that much control over the product? I don't know about that, but I do know I'm never giving another cent to Apple.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

More control, tends to lead to more $$ in Apple's eyes.

Pretty sure the fanboys would have no problem departing with their 100s so they can appease their god that is SJ at Apple :D

I wouldn't expect anything less from the maker of the yellow tinting screen anyway :p

I don't want to send a device back to get a battery replaced. This is the reason why I stopped buying consoles because when something breaks or needs repair, the whole damn thing has to be sent in....

Eh well at least you'd have more luck getting the console repaired because it's usually either human error or straight design flaw(RROD), and I never do buy any console within the first 6 months of release(not too fond of being guinea pig). With the PC, any part that fails you'd end up having to troubleshoot the problem, pinpoint it, then trying to get that RMA paid for by the manu, which pretty is a %#$! process while in warranty, and out of the question after the warranty ends.

I'd say it would've been a non-issue a few years back for PC parts when it wasn't like walking in a minefield when trying to get a working part AND one that lasts. Nowadays...good luck getting that magic combination of parts that won't fail on you 1 year from now due to any number of quirky problem/screwed up QA.

Eh well at least you'd have more luck getting the console repaired because it's usually either human error or straight design flaw(RROD), and I never do buy any console within the first 6 months of release(not too fond of being guinea pig). With the PC, any part that fails you'd end up having to troubleshoot the problem, pinpoint it, then trying to get that RMA paid for by the manu, which pretty is a %#$! process while in warranty, and out of the question after the warranty ends.

I'd say it would've been a non-issue a few years back for PC parts when it wasn't like walking in a minefield when trying to get a working part AND one that lasts. Nowadays...good luck getting that magic combination of parts that won't fail on you 1 year from now due to any number of quirky problem/screwed up QA.

I meant you'd have more luck getting it repaired on their dime when it's not killed by the user. Whoops.

This is directly related to Apples deliberate design to not allow the user to change batteries because in doing so would allow someone to gain access to the hardware on the inside, which is something they have never wanted. This has always been a bad design flaw and is only indicative of Apples hardware control protocols.

As they have not yet been released no one will really know until someone is unlucky enough to have to have it replaced. Again - As it has not yet been released, all there is to work off of is what Apple has provided for information. The positives and negatives will be known once the service is needed.

Why is it so hard for Apple to spell out EXACTLY what you will get before you buy their products? The iPad itself is full of things that people aren't sure what they will get or whether it will support XYZ, and yet you can preorder one now. This is one the (many) reason I refuse to buy Apple gear until it's a couple of generations old (and even then I've only ever bought iPods). FFS be upfront with your potential customers.

Why does Apple keep doing it this? Simple. Because the apple zombie horde laps it up like it's some magical remedy that solves the world's woes. BRAAAAIINS!!

Perhaps a consumer replaceable battery is just too much tech for Apple to absorb?

Perhaps Apple realizes/accepts that a consumer-replaceable battery is just too much tech for an Apple consumer to absorb?

Laptop battery is user replaceable and can be had for like $50. You also keep your laptop.

Yes you can format before sending it in, if it can actually stay charged long enough. I don't know how the iPad will work, but let's hope that it'll actually run while it's plugged in. Would be stupid if it didn't, everything else does.

Not that a format will do crap. Let's hope someone actually decide to make a diskwipe utility that'll throw 1's and 0's onto the memory to actually wipe it clean. Cause I'm sure someone's going to make a disk recovery app for it.

------------

@nilepez

I bought a new battery for my 12.1" laptop for $50 from the OEM. Every laptop battery can be had for $50 on Ebay. It'll probably be some cheap knockoff, but they work just as well.

Apple batteries can also be had for $50-ish just like PC laptop batteries. And just like Apple, if you bought batteries from the manufacture like HP and Dell, you would be paying over $100. Most of Dell and HP batteries go for $135-145.

The iPad is pretty new. Just as iPhones and iPod, I'm sure third party battery e-tailers will sell iPad batteries for DIY'ers.

The only thing that Apple is really doing wrong is not letting their customers change out their battery, but you can still do it if you're savvy enough.

Perhaps Apple realizes/accepts that a consumer-replaceable battery is just too much tech for an Apple consumer to absorb?

I'm sure your right. When prompted with the question of replacing the battery on an Apple device, their responses have been unanimous. Duracell or Energizer?

I wasn't defending Apple with my prior post - just explaining that it seems to be more like their PMP devices than their laptops. If you look at most of the current market ebook readers and the new tablets coming out in the next year that are competing with the ipad most of them do not have any user serviceable parts, including the battery.
From what I can find, the Notion ink Adam and the kindle are non user serviceable. If you compare it to other PMP devices - The sandisk Sansas, Microsoft Zune etc, no user replaceable battery. Just as with the devices I mentioned and the current ipod and iphone offerings you could purchase the replacement parts from third parties and repair them all yourself.

I personally dislike the ipad, but getting upset over a $107 charge when they are letting you know in advance of possible charges is silly. If this has you upset then don't purchase it. There are plenty of other reasons to make the purchase decision off of. This is the same old practice from Apple as far as user service. At best your allowed to replace the memory and hard drive in some of their systems. The machines that you can still do that are steadily decreasing - MacMini - no user servicable parts, new iMacs, no user parts, new MacBook pros, non-pros and airs - no servicable parts. current gen equipment the only system that has user servicable parts is the Mac Pro, and even then it is only the hard drive and memory.

There are two phrases that immediately come to mind that mark an apple zombie:

"This is actually a good thing" (usually seen when said zombie is presented with a limitation / list of limitations)
"It solves problems you never even knew you had" (uttered when bedazzled by the rainbow that shine's out Steve Jobs' ass)

Seriously, is this a variant of Stockholm Sydrome?

With Apple products it doesn't feel like you fully own some their products to me. It's always something you have to do after the fact that is still tied in with them. You can take a PC anywhere and have it repaired, open it up, do whatever that comes to mind. With Apple, oops don't want to void the $100-250 AppleCare warranty, oops I need to call them for a $100 battery etc. Apple has no intentions of Mac users becoming savvy, Jobbs wants to be the person you always ask for help. Apple seals their devices to keep you "the owner" out of it.

I personally dislike the ipad, but getting upset over a $107 charge when they are letting you know in advance of possible charges is silly. If this has you upset then don't purchase it.
You know what? That's a bull**** argument that stinks worse every time someone uses it.

Discussing a product's flaws is a good thing. At the very least, it can help people trying to make a decision on a big purchase ($500+ is a big purchase.

If this thread is so silly then don't read it.

As for data security, just format (or whatever the equivalent process is) first, just like any normal laptop like repair.

Just format? How do you suggest doing that? Is there a CD drive or a USB port like "any other laptop"? When did we start comparing the iPad to a laptop anyway?

Just format? How do you suggest doing that? Is there a CD drive or a USB port like "any other laptop"? When did we start comparing the iPad to a laptop anyway?

You can reset the iPad, Phone and Pod through iTunes, clearing everything off it.

More than likely you format it it, like an mp3 player. Use iTunes to format the device or some BS like that. Format it from the device, probably not possible.

From what I can find, the Notion ink Adam and the kindle are non user serviceable. If you compare it to other PMP devices - The sandisk Sansas, Microsoft Zune etc, no user replaceable battery. Just as with the devices I mentioned and the current ipod and iphone offerings you could purchase the replacement parts from third parties and repair them all yourself.

The sandisk sansa (atleast the e200 series) have user replaceable batteries, I know because I have had 6 of them.

Anyone who can't see that the price is designed so they can make a healthy profit off of something so simple (or atleast used to be) as changing a battery is willfully ignorant.

@nilepez

Knockoff != OEM. Since Apple is replacing the battery, you have to compare OEM to OEM. If you want to take the sucker apart and do it yourself, then I'm sure there are places that will sell Non-OEM batteries.

The sandisk sansa (atleast the e200 series) have user replaceable batteries, I know because I have had 6 of them.

Anyone who can't see that the price is designed so they can make a healthy profit off of something so simple (or atleast used to be) as changing a battery is willfully ignorant.

Sorry about that, the e series has a user battery, the clip and the fuze are non user serviceable and the M series runs off of a AA battery. Looking online, the price for a replacement E series battery is $25 for the official sansa battery, with the e240 going for $40-$70 when I bought my 2 (can't find a current price as I cannot find one for sale aside from ebay, yay woot for mine) . $25/$40+ or $107/$500+

Babbster said:
You know what? That's a bull**** argument that stinks worse every time someone uses it.

Discussing a product's flaws is a good thing. At the very least, it can help people trying to make a decision on a big purchase ($500+ is a big purchase.

If this thread is so silly then don't read it.

Nice to leave out my next line of " There are plenty of other reasons to make the purchase decision off of" I was saying to get that worked up over just the cost is silly - the other issues of having a system swapped out and other design issues are worth worrying about.
http://store.apple.com/us/search?find=battery
Apple's retail prices for battery replacement are set to $129 for products the user can change the battery in.
http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/service/battery/
http://www.apple.com/support/macbookair/service/battery/
For their systems with non user replaceable batteries it appears to be set to $129 as well in the US. Seems like a discount compared to the normal Apple rates at $107. You buy Apple you deal with their prices.

Nice to leave out my next line of " There are plenty of other reasons to make the purchase decision off of"
You're right. I should have included more so that your hypocrisy was made clear. It's okay for you to complain about things you don't like, but you don't want to read anyone else's issues.

So for $105.99 you can get a replacement that should be covered under Warranty already? Hmmm... I guess that gives me another point to help dissuade people from buying Apple Junk. Which I normally do on general principle anyway.

So for $105.99 you can get a replacement that should be covered under Warranty already? Hmmm... I guess that gives me another point to help dissuade people from buying Apple Junk. Which I normally do on general principle anyway.

/facepalm

Dell CarePlus also does not cover battery replacement. Nor does HP. Nor does Sony. Nor does Acer. Nor does ASUS.

/facepalm

Dell CarePlus also does not cover battery replacement. Nor does HP. Nor does Sony. Nor does Acer. Nor does ASUS.

But they give you a battery that can be swapped out by you at any time there is an issue. Either the battery is an integral part of the device and shouldn't be separated from it, or its a use and abuse part that isn't part of the machine and can be swapped out with an OEM or off brand part by the owner.

If it's an integral part of the machine then it should be covered by any warranty period they offer for it. If it is not then they should give users an option to swap it out on its own. There are no if ands or buts about this. I know damn well that opening that thing up will void the warranty that doesn't cover the battery. So all of a sudden a battery dies you have to pay $107 to them or if you look to other means then the rest of the unit isn't covered. With that Dell I can replace that battery without even dreaming of opening up and I can choose whom I want to buy the battery from and the Laptops warranty is never affected.

Simple rules of electronics.

Battery not swappable by user = Part of device and should be covered under the device warranty.

Battery Swappable by user = Not part of the warranty and customer can swap and buy replacements on their own from any business they choose.

But they give you a battery that can be swapped out by you at any time there is an issue. Either the battery is an integral part of the device and shouldn't be separated from it, or its a use and abuse part that isn't part of the machine and can be swapped out with an OEM or off brand part by the owner.

If it's an integral part of the machine then it should be covered by any warranty period they offer for it. If it is not then they should give users an option to swap it out on its own. There are no if ands or buts about this. I know damn well that opening that thing up will void the warranty that doesn't cover the battery. So all of a sudden a battery dies you have to pay $107 to them or if you look to other means then the rest of the unit isn't covered. With that Dell I can replace that battery without even dreaming of opening up and I can choose whom I want to buy the battery from and the Laptops warranty is never affected.

Battery not swappable by user = Part of device and should be covered under the device warranty.

Battery Swappable by user = Not part of the warranty and customer can swap and buy replacements on their own from any business they choose.

That's already been covered several times in this thread. I'm not disputing Apple's failure for letting us changing the battery. What I am tired of hearing is people complain about Apple doing something while turning a blind eye on the fact that PC manufacturers do the same damn thing.

Someone PM'd me last night saying that the sheer ignorance (even willful ignorance) in this thread was mind blowing - we're both not fans of Apple. I agreed. It's one thing to dislike Apple because there's a nutjob running the reins. It's also one thing to dislike them because they cost too much generally. But it's just silly to keep making up faults for no reason other than because they're Apple.

Hmmm - Dell latitude Z, Dell Vostro V13, the HP Slate etc - all non user replaceable battery, all not covered by warranty past the 1st year even with the extended warranty. You can certainly purchase a battery replacement warranty for the 2nd and 3rd year from dell for an additional charge though. Show me a laptop vendor that does not classify a battery as a consumable item. Apple's battery policy is better than most as if you have AppleCare the battery is covered for manufacturer defect for the full policy length. There is a difference between a battery that has failed and one that has been consumed however.

The current macbook air batteries are so thin that if not handled properly they crack. when working with batteries and trying to fit the highest capacity in the smallest space compromises have to be made. With the ipad being smaller I would expect similar. Apple wants to keep you out of their hardware and OS. They'll allow you to use it but if they allowed you to modify it then their uniform and expected experience will be degraded. Isn't that what you pay for when you buy Apple? why else would you pay that premium. Personally I'm waiting for the Notion ink Adam, which surprise does not have a user replaceable battery.

What I would be worried with an iPad? No accidental damage coverage, data concerns when the system is swapped out. data plans on the cell card when the system is swapped. Comparing warranties Dell's Complete card covers user damage, Lenovo's ThinkPad Protection covers accidental damage. With both of those manufacturers the cell cards are required to be swapped to the new system if replaced. Can you swap the card on the iPad? With Dell you can purchase a "Keep your Hard Drive warranty" which in the event of failure of the drive you can keep the old disk. We've had the same system drop 3 hard drives in 2 years and all have replaced the disk and let us keep the old drive. With the iPad you can backup some data through iTunes, will it be everything on the device or will it be what Apple decides. Can you wipe the disk before it is replaced? Will the remote wipes still work? All stuff to be worried about.

One point I ignored in all this, is the environmental aspect. With a sealed product, Apple doesn't have to worry about an idiot customer replacing the battery and disposing of the old one in an environmentally damaging manner. Our environmental laws are fairly lax when it comes to other places in the developed world. I wouldn't be surprised to see the day come when electronics with rechargeable batteries will be required to be sealed from customer tampering.

One point I ignored in all this, is the environmental aspect. With a sealed product, Apple doesn't have to worry about an idiot customer replacing the battery and disposing of the old one in an environmentally damaging manner. Our environmental laws are fairly lax when it comes to other places in the developed world. I wouldn't be surprised to see the day come when electronics with rechargeable batteries will be required to be sealed from customer tampering.

Well, that is Apple's philosophy. Hold your hand because you're too dumb. They are consistent. I'll give them that.

Back