iPad Swapping out the Charge?

One point I ignored in all this, is the environmental aspect. With a sealed product, Apple doesn't have to worry about an idiot customer replacing the battery and disposing of the old one in an environmentally damaging manner. Our environmental laws are fairly lax when it comes to other places in the developed world. I wouldn't be surprised to see the day come when electronics with rechargeable batteries will be required to be sealed from customer tampering.

That is one good thing, but they sure are charging a lot for the service which is what has people berating a company before said company even has the product available for purchase

That is one good thing, but they sure are charging a lot for the service which is what has people berating a company before said company even has the product available for purchase
Paying skilled people to repair something without destroying it in the process costs money. If you opened a computer sales and repair shop, are you going to charge people $10 and hour to build and repair PCs?

What I am tired of hearing is people complain about Apple doing something while turning a blind eye on the fact that PC manufacturers do the same damn thing.
PC manufacturers are simply immune to criticism because they are not Apple.

Well, that is Apple's philosophy. Hold your hand because you're too dumb. They are consistent. I'll give them that.
Or just too lazy. I know I'm supposed to dispose of batteries in an environmentally friendly way, though I'm simply too lazy to do it. Thus, they go in the trash can. It has nothing to do with my lack of intellect (which is appreciable).

It's safe to say that the iPad has a bigger battery than an Android mobile device.
The iPad's battery probably has 50% greater capacity, yeah, considering it gets either 10 hours of use or about a month of standby time. The A4 is reportedly not much different than the Cortex A8/PowerVR SGX combo in the iPod touch, but the screen is much larger and assumably less efficient than the display in the touch. So, if we would assume that Apple would charge in the $75-80 range for a replacement battery, which seems like a fair price, then $107 to replace it and receive a refurbished unit (which would more often than not sport a new case and new screen glass) would seem like a reasonable deal.

It's still a tough pill to swallow, but so it goes with battery replacement. My concern here isn't with the price but with having to wait for a replacement iPad.

lol at the apple fanboys trying to justify a $100 bettery replacement without lube.

Apple fanboys? rationalizing a $100 battery replacement?

Dell's replacement batteries page:
http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&cat=prod&k=battery&~srd=true
HP's battery replacement page:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/can/comp...batteries/2/accessories?jumpid=hpr_R1002_USEN
Lenovo's Battery and adapter page:
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...?category-id=4364BD0F20B94413B5AD6E684D2848E9
Acer's battery page:
http://store.acer.com/dept.asp?dept_id=02-001

I can go on with the rest. Seems like battery pricing is between $99 and $149 with $129 seeming to be the average for a standard replacement. The $107 price is a complete system replacement - these battery prices from the other vendors are for just the part and you swap it out yourself. Don't get me wrong the $40 per adapter for accessories on the Ipad port is ridiculous, same as with Apple's $30+ mini display port adapters. I wonder if any of you going lol outrage prices, have even attempted to compare. How can you discuss a products flaws without comparisons to products doing it right?

Hmmm - Dell latitude Z, Dell Vostro V13, the HP Slate etc - all non user replaceable battery, all not covered by warranty past the 1st year even with the extended warranty. You can certainly purchase a battery replacement warranty for the 2nd and 3rd year from dell for an additional charge though. Show me a laptop vendor that does not classify a battery as a consumable item. Apple's battery policy is better than most as if you have AppleCare the battery is covered for manufacturer defect for the full policy length. There is a difference between a battery that has failed and one that has been consumed however.

The current macbook air batteries are so thin that if not handled properly they crack. when working with batteries and trying to fit the highest capacity in the smallest space compromises have to be made. With the ipad being smaller I would expect similar. Apple wants to keep you out of their hardware and OS. They'll allow you to use it but if they allowed you to modify it then their uniform and expected experience will be degraded. Isn't that what you pay for when you buy Apple? why else would you pay that premium. Personally I'm waiting for the Notion ink Adam, which surprise does not have a user replaceable battery.

What I would be worried with an iPad? No accidental damage coverage, data concerns when the system is swapped out. data plans on the cell card when the system is swapped. Comparing warranties Dell's Complete card covers user damage, Lenovo's ThinkPad Protection covers accidental damage. With both of those manufacturers the cell cards are required to be swapped to the new system if replaced. Can you swap the card on the iPad? With Dell you can purchase a "Keep your Hard Drive warranty" which in the event of failure of the drive you can keep the old disk. We've had the same system drop 3 hard drives in 2 years and all have replaced the disk and let us keep the old drive. With the iPad you can backup some data through iTunes, will it be everything on the device or will it be what Apple decides. Can you wipe the disk before it is replaced? Will the remote wipes still work? All stuff to be worried about.

The Latitude Z actually has swappable battery. The Vostro V13 has an internal battery and there is no suggestion in its warranty options that suggests its not covered by the normal system warranty. We also know nothing about the warranty coverage on the not yet available Slate.

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&cat=prod&k=battery&~srd=true
http://www.shopping.hp.com/can/comp...batteries/2/accessories?jumpid=hpr_R1002_USEN
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...?category-id=4364BD0F20B94413B5AD6E684D2848E9
Acer's battery page:

I can go on with the rest. Seems like battery pricing is between $99 and $149 with $129 seeming to be the average for a standard replacement. The $107 price is a complete system replacement - these battery prices from the other vendors are for just the part and you swap it out yourself. Don't get me wrong the $40 per adapter for accessories on the Ipad port is ridiculous, same as with Apple's $30+ mini display port adapters. I wonder if any of you going lol outrage prices, have even attempted to compare. How can you discuss a products flaws without comparisons to products doing it right?
Nice selective searching. Those numbers are almost all based on high output 6-cell and 9-cell batteries made for full powered and feature rich laptops. The closest to what is going to be in the iPad is the 3-cell $32 HP battery.

Dell's standard "battery" warranty is 1 year regardless of the system warranty length.

All Dell Service Plans for notebook systems include a 1-year limited battery warranty. Increasing the number of years of Dell service plan does not extend you battery warranty beyond the initial year.

Half way down page 2.

call it selective searching, I went to the manufacturer's store pages and searched for battery. I just gave the links of the result. I would say that comparing it to the Air's battery due to design similarities would make more sense, with a reduced capacity.

And because I can't edit - it was the Adamo that I meant, not the latitude Z. I knew it was one of the ones the Dell rep brought by. Also the latitude 13 is the same as the vostro 13 as well.

Acer's battery page:

The problem is not the cost, some of you seem hung up on that. Cost is irrelevant here, it is the inconvenience of replacing an entire device over a battery. I have the same beef with any non apple product that does this as well. I don't want to send my electronics in to a repair center to replace the damned battery, I don't want someone elses refurb unit. I want the item i bought and when the battery dies, I want to go into the store and buy a new battery and be done with it. I don't want to go through some stupid swap process, having to restore all my data or any other additional crap over what should be a simple battery swap.

I don't care if it is apple, hp, toshiba or whoever. Non customer replaceable batteries are and have always been a stupid idea and lazy engineering. This is just one of many reasons why the iFlop is going to fail miserably, besides the fact that there is no real market for it.

:confused:

Kyle should change your name to Carnac.

Quote it right or don't quote it at all. I included far more then just apple in the lazy engineering statement. While I am amused at the reference, one cannot argue that tablets as a whole have been hard pressed to get a foothold and even Apple loyalists are far from impressed with it.

Estimates put the iPad at 150,000 preorders. The expectation is that preorders may reach 500,000 by April 3. So far, the estimated sales are hardly failworthy.

I know what ellipsis are, you took it out of context and you know it. You simply didn't expect me to call you out for it. My argument is not against apple, I own quite a few apple products and am quite happy with them. The battery thing has always been a pet peeve of mine no matter who does it.

The ipad however, remains a stupid device.

You may have "quite a few apple products" but you apparently haven't had any issues with them because the replacement process is as simple as walking into any apple store and explaining that the battery isn't holding a charge as well as you'd like. Then they plug it in and test it with their diagnostic software and either determine whether it's the device's problem (resulting in free replacement) or due to normal wear and tear (resulting in paying the ~$100). On one occasion their software couldn't determine anything (whether it was even an iPhone) for whatever reason and they just opted to give me another device.

Apple doesn't give refurbished devices. They give reconditioned devices, which means anything from a reused logic board w/ everything else new to a completely new device. They say reconditioned because they can't guarantee a new device instead of a refurbished one. In either case, the casing/screen/wear parts are new.

If you'd rather keep your old device over paying for a "new" device in so far as the user's fingers and senses are concerned then it sounds like you're just griping to me. If any other company was offering trade-ins for a fraction of the device cost people would be hailing that as wonderful, but since it's Apple people are shitting all over it.

User data is a non-issue. If you can't figure out how to back up your iData, then you probably need to be checked for functional retardation. If you can't figure it out for some reason, the Genius at the bar will do it for you before exchanging devices.

One point I ignored in all this, is the environmental aspect. With a sealed product, Apple doesn't have to worry about an idiot customer replacing the battery and disposing of the old one in an environmentally damaging manner. Our environmental laws are fairly lax when it comes to other places in the developed world. I wouldn't be surprised to see the day come when electronics with rechargeable batteries will be required to be sealed from customer tampering.

Oh yes. Apple just loves the environment. That's why Greenpeace is constantly hounding them. Not to say any other company is better (Dell, HP, etc).

And electronics with rechargeable batteries be required to be sealed from customers? That has got to be the dumbest idea I've ever heard. If that were to happen, you'd end up having rechargeable batteries still ending up in landfills, but this time, with the whole electronic.

Hmmm - Dell latitude Z, Dell Vostro V13, the HP Slate etc - all non user replaceable battery, all not covered by warranty past the 1st year even with the extended warranty. You can certainly purchase a battery replacement warranty for the 2nd and 3rd year from dell for an additional charge though. Show me a laptop vendor that does not classify a battery as a consumable item. Apple's battery policy is better than most as if you have AppleCare the battery is covered for manufacturer defect for the full policy length. There is a difference between a battery that has failed and one that has been consumed however.

If a Lion battery fails within 2 years, it's defective. Hell, if it fails within 3 years, it's defective. Lion batteries lose, roughly, 1/2 their capacity after 3 years.

I suppose one could bake it in a car a car every day of the summer in Vegas, but I suspect that would do as much damage to the iPad as it does to the battery.

All in all, I'd say batteries should be covered by the same warranty that covers the product. So if you have 1 year, that's what the battery is covered for. 3 years....same thing.

lol at the apple fanboys trying to justify a $100 bettery replacement without lube.

Is that a joke? There are virtually no Apple fan boys posting in this thread. Some of us happen to realize that just because apple did it doesn't mean it's unfair.

And to be clear, I don't own a single apple product. AFAIK, I never have owned an apple product (though I used an Apple ][ long ago and used a mac for a class in college).

If you actually wanted an iPad, and you felt that price was unfair, you could always take the sucker apart and change it yourself. Is it worth the effort? I guess it depends what a non-apple battery costs. I certainly wouldn't do it until many others had done it.

This is just one of many reasons why the iFlop is going to fail miserably, besides the fact that there is no real market for it.

While it may fail, the battery will not make a difference. The masses love the iPhone, which has no user replaceable battery. They love iPods and they have no user replaceable battery.

For you this might make a difference for most it does not. With that said, I don't see the point in the iPad, but I also thought that the Rio Karma was a much better DAP, yet the masses went with the iPod, while Rio disappeared.

what ever happened to the awesome ability to keep our product and replace the batterie on its own as it fails?

How often are you replacing batteries anyway?

The only cell phone I've had that needed a battery replacement was my mpx220. It's been sitting in my drawer for about five years for reasons unrelated to the battery, however. In fact, out of all of my devices, only my wireless controller, my laptop, and infrequently some remote controls have ever needed replacement batteries.

I've replaced my Zune battery, since it can't go 8+ hours on a single charge now. Then, I ended up buying a X-fi/X-fi2, since they sound better.

You may have "quite a few apple products" but you apparently haven't had any issues with them because the replacement process is as simple as walking into any apple store and explaining that the battery isn't holding a charge as well as you'd like. Then they plug it in and test it with their diagnostic software and either determine whether it's the device's problem (resulting in free replacement) or due to normal wear and tear (resulting in paying the ~$100). On one occasion their software couldn't determine anything (whether it was even an iPhone) for whatever reason and they just opted to give me another device.

Apple doesn't give refurbished devices. They give reconditioned devices, which means anything from a reused logic board w/ everything else new to a completely new device. They say reconditioned because they can't guarantee a new device instead of a refurbished one. In either case, the casing/screen/wear parts are new.

If you'd rather keep your old device over paying for a "new" device in so far as the user's fingers and senses are concerned then it sounds like you're just griping to me. If any other company was offering trade-ins for a fraction of the device cost people would be hailing that as wonderful, but since it's Apple people are shitting all over it.

User data is a non-issue. If you can't figure out how to back up your iData, then you probably need to be checked for functional retardation. If you can't figure it out for some reason, the Genius at the bar will do it for you before exchanging devices.

While it may fail, the battery will not make a difference. The masses love the iPhone, which has no user replaceable battery. They love iPods and they have no user replaceable battery.

For you this might make a difference for most it does not. With that said, I don't see the point in the iPad, but I also thought that the Rio Karma was a much better DAP, yet the masses went with the iPod, while Rio disappeared.

The problem with these two responses is they make the assumption that an mp3 player and a phone are somehow = to a computer. Simple fact of the matter is they are not and it is worlds easier to simply exchange a phone or mp3 player then it is a computer. I don't like the battery issue in the phone or mp3 player anymore then the iPad, but it is certainly a great deal less bothersome to deal with a replacement on those.

Also don't try to feed me that bs that reconditioned is different then refurbished. I worked in the warranty industry for 5 years, I know what the marketing bs is. A "FEW" lucky individuals might get a new one, but most will get a refurb. Sure there might not be a thing wrong with it (I buy refurb stuff all the time), but then again you never know how the previous owner treated it and what is bound to die next. Point is, If I buy it new then I don't want a unit that has been put through god knows what by someone else over a battery. If something major fails and it has to be replaced under warranty, then so be it.

Also, drop the smug bit on backing up data. I know quite well how to back my stuff up. The point was I don't want to be deal with restoring it all over a stupid battery. Once again, the difference between a computer (Which this is) and a phone or mp3 player is pretty much night and day.

Once again, non user replaceable batteries is a stupid idea and lazy engineering. Forcing customers to exchange their entire machine over a battery is even more absurd.

How often are you replacing batteries anyway?

The only cell phone I've had that needed a battery replacement was my mpx220. It's been sitting in my drawer for about five years for reasons unrelated to the battery, however. In fact, out of all of my devices, only my wireless controller, my laptop, and infrequently some remote controls have ever needed replacement batteries.

If you get 15 months of full capacity out of a lithium ion battery in most modern devices you are lucky. It really is a crapshoot, sometimes you get a good one sometimes a bad one. My bluetooth headset went for nearly 3 years before it started losing charge. My last two cellphones lasted 5 months before the battery would die after 2 minutes and my laptop I just gave up and keep it plugged in the wall.

OK, now it's even more clear to me you have no idea what you're complaining about other than if it's Apple it must be bad somehow.

The main reason I want a user replaceable battery. Being able to carry around 2 batteries on a trip. I take long flights. Like from Korea to Idaho.

I carry 2 batteries for my laptop, carry 2 mp3 players (since the batteries aren't replaceable), and 2 batteries for my PSP. Sometimes, I get lucky and the plane actually has a power plug.

Oh lord, and here I thought it was 107 for a battery swap. They're just going to swap out your iPad? You just know that your iPad is going to be re-sold...

This is pretty much the case with any Apple product you send in for a "battery swap." Why should someone pay $100 to replace a battery on a product under warranty (or even not under warranty, but well cared for) and end up exchanging it with something with a completely unknown history? Fuck that. If I get something and it's solid, I want to keep that exact product. Not something that just happens to share the model number.

If a Lion battery fails within 2 years, it's defective. Hell, if it fails within 3 years, it's defective. Lion batteries lose, roughly, 1/2 their capacity after 3 years...

...of use.

You can properly store a LiOn battery for 3 years and lose none of its capacity.

The main reason I want a user replaceable battery. Being able to carry around 2 batteries on a trip. I take long flights. Like from Korea to Idaho.

I carry 2 batteries for my laptop, carry 2 mp3 players (since the batteries aren't replaceable), and 2 batteries for my PSP. Sometimes, I get lucky and the plane actually has a power plug.
There are a ton of aftermarket external batteries on the market. I paid $10 bucks for mine from Meritline. I don't think you could reliably carry an iPhone battery around. The iPad's battery is going to be even thinner and larger. My external battery is about the size of my blackberry battery and can be used for any of my iDevices.

This is pretty much the case with any Apple product you send in for a "battery swap." Why should someone pay $100 to replace a battery on a product under warranty (or even not under warranty, but well cared for) and end up exchanging it with something with a completely unknown history? Fuck that. If I get something and it's solid, I want to keep that exact product. Not something that just happens to share the model number.
Once again, the only "unknown" is the logic board, which is solid state and undergoes whatever testing Apple does. Everything else is *NEW*. My personal belief on this, and this has held true for all electronic devices in my experience, is that in-house lab testing supersedes off-shore product line testing. I'm not saying you have to believe that the reconditioned product will be in better condition than your original, but that's what seems to be the case.

OK, now it's even more clear to me you have no idea what you're complaining about other than if it's Apple it must be bad somehow.

Then you have zero reading comprehension. I included more then apple in the statement earlier. I would say the same thing if this discussion were about any other branded product.

There are a ton of aftermarket external batteries on the market. I paid $10 bucks for mine from Meritline. I don't think you could reliably carry an iPhone battery around. The iPad's battery is going to be even thinner and larger. My external battery is about the size of my blackberry battery and can be used for any of my iDevices.

I looked at those external batteries and they end up being larger than the device itself. I just carry another mp3 player. They're small anyways.

I looked at those external batteries and they end up being larger than the device itself. I just carry another mp3 player. They're small anyways.
Here's mine (roughly half the size of my iPhone):
2saiey0.jpg

I like the ones like this, too, but haven't gotten around to purchasing one:
base_media

grrr...no edit :\
These are really slick for an iPhone, but not so great for my iPod or someone's iPad
63011.jpg

The overwhelming point, is that by this time it's obvious Apple's engineering of products is not going include a replaceable battery. I'm sure this comes direct from Jobs, and is due to his passion for design above all else. A removable battery door / hatch looks ugly, can fall off and be lost, break and interrupts the smooth flow of the product's design. No amount of complaining is going to override this design first idea. The simplest solution is vote with your dollars and not buy any Apple products.

Here's mine (roughly half the size of my iPhone):
2saiey0.jpg

I like the ones like this, too, but haven't gotten around to purchasing one:
base_media

So in other words, I'd carry an external battery, that's the size of my mp3 player, to charge my other mp3 player.

As for those iPhone/iPod batteries, I'll never buy one, as I'll never own an iPhone/iPod. I want high sound quality on my mp3 player, as that's it's main purpose. Neither those two products can deliver.

Back