Introducing the New Firefox: Firefox Quantum

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The new Firefox is here: Firefox Quantum is over twice as fast as Firefox from 6 months ago, built on a completely overhauled core engine with brand-new technology and graced with a beautiful new look designed to get out of the way and let you do what you do best: surf a ton of pages, open a zillion tabs, all guilt-free because Firefox Quantum uses less memory than the competition.

The first thing you’ll notice is the speed. Go on, open some tabs and have some fun. The second thing you’ll notice is the new User Interface (UI). We call this initiative Photon, and its goal is to modernize and unify anything that we call Firefox while taking advantage of the speedy new engine. We also made many, many performance improvements in the browser’s core and shipped a new CSS engine, Stylo, that takes better advantage of today’s hardware with multiple cores that are optimized for low power consumption.

I've been on the betas for a few weeks now, daily driver. I've noticed a tremendous pick-up in speed. A few hangs, not many crashes. Very usable. If you have extensions or add-ons that are near and dear to you, check their compatibility before you upgrade!

Switched over from Chrome this morning. Whoa! It's fast! Might be my new default....

Al-Calavicci.jpg

Why does everyone like the removal of edges from windows?? Why God why????
In the future, there are no borders! Also icons, text and colors are too much so now enjoy simplified glyphs. But yeah, it is keeping with Microsoft's overall flat design user interface. To be fair, Google and Apple are doing it too. Trendy.

Dear lord it took me a few minutes to figure out there is a specific icon for the menu toolbar. I was flipping out why the library icon would only default to recent bookmarks and not let me change it lol.

I'm OK now....pheeewwww

Well, tried it for about 15 minutes and had a total lockup on my system (Win 10, 1709). No mouse movement, keyboard inputs and ctrl-alt-del wouldn't do diddly. Back to the 52.7 esr version for me (for now).

Well, tried it for about 15 minutes and had a total lockup on my system (Win 10, 1709). No mouse movement, keyboard inputs and ctrl-alt-del wouldn't do diddly. Back to the 52.7 esr version for me (for now).
Anybody know if Classic Theme Restorer works with this yet?

Doesn't appear to be working with this version. Kind of why I'm still using the esr version of Firefox.

I've been rethinking how wise it is to use Chrome for some time now, and have been considering making the switch. I'm glad that FireFox 57 (Quantum) and its peformance enhancements have come just as I am considering something new.

I'm also going to take Opera for a test run. I understand it is actually quite decent now that it has dropped Presto in favor of Webkit. (The old version was AWFUL breaking a surprisingly large number of websites)

I just installed it and noticed the cookie control (block 3rd party cookies, delete all when closing FF with exceptions, etc.) is gone again. Deal breaker right there for me.

Anybody know if it is there in the 32-bit version?

Must admit, super stable and responsive, well done, Mozilla.

I would be sending another donation your way.

Doesn't appear to be working with this version. Kind of why I'm still using the esr version of Firefox.
Did you disable hardware acceleration? Not sure what your GPU is but there are some lingering Nvidia bugs with FF for a while now. The latest drivers seem to have resolve most of the issues though.

56 was pretty quick already, but yeah I can tell a difference now that I'm on 57.

Too bad it uses way more ram than Chrome. All processes added.
First, you sound like obvious troll. Second, you want all that empty ram to stay empty rather than being used to speed up the browser?

I've seriously never understood people's complaints about ram utilization of applications. Yeah, if you have like 2GB I understand but if you have 8GB or more, who gives a rats ass if your browser is using 2GB of ram?

I've been using beta releases of FF Quantum for over a month. I think it's great. My browser of choice now. (y)

meh...I'll stick with Internet Explorer 11...a new Quantum version of Netscape Navigator would be something :D

Firefox Quantrum is UNUSABLE for me. No idea why but it freezes, mouse lags and click delays. ZERO problems with firefox 56. Tried clean installing, disabling hardware acceleration, resetting user data and clearing temp files. safe mode, disabling all add ons and extensions, no avail. All my drivers are the latest version and im on a clean install of windows being i just upgraded my hardware about 2 weeks ago.

Is their a replacement for noscript in this new firefox?

Firefox 57 is - i believe - the first version that completely blocks th eold plugin model. I'd imagine a lot of plugis will eventually be ported, and many already have been, but not all of them are there yet.

Too bad I'll never switch browsers until some of my shitty, antiquated, flash-based management tools get replaced w/ HTML5 (never gonna happen) or work on anything but Chrome.

I'm wondering if Waterfox is the best solution. It's a few versions behind Firefox, but it seems like a "best of Firefox" open source release. Faster, more efficient, removing pocket and Firefox data collection. They also claim to retain traditional plugin support, but ask that users are patient as it is apparently involved to do so.

I'm not holding out for this. I read somewhere that the new plugin model prevents any plugins that mess with the interface of the browser

Well that's a huge negative. One of the main reasons I'm on Firefox is cause I get to make it look the way I want. Oh well, guess I'll stick with 56 for as long as I can.

Well that's a huge negative. One of the main reasons I'm on Firefox is cause I get to make it look the way I want. Oh well, guess I'll stick with 56 for as long as I can.

Try Waterfox.

It's essentially Firefox but with data collection and Pocket removed. They also claim they intend to keep the old plugin scheme alive (though it is going to be challenging, as I think these plugins are going to disappear from the Firefox plugin browser.)

Back