Introducing the new AMD Catalyst Omega Driver @ [H]

So did they hire the dude that used to do the Omega drivers or just rip off the name?
I really hope they didn't just take the name without asking...
I was about to post something similar. Couldn't help but notice the obviously 'inspired' named.

so did i read that right, people have to download "beta" drivers to get game support?

Wow, this is the sort of stuff that would make me consider switching to AMD. I'm very curious how the upscaling is from 1080 or if that's just mostly marketing buzz + some common filter.

Anyone using these with a LG UM95 monitor? I've been having bugs/glitches with mine since I got it. Lately it seems to have gotten worse with it going into sleep mode, then waking up and the right hand of the screen has graphic glitches etc.Normally a reboot or shutting the monitor down and turning it back on takes care of it, but its annoying.

Very disappointed in no VSR on 1440p displays @ >60Hz... is this something we can look forward to in the future? Is it a bandwidth issue?

Tempting me to get the next gen AMD video card. It's been awhile since I ran my 6970 that took a dump on me. Still peeved about that but I suppose Nvidia isn't perfect either since my less that a year old MSI GTX 660 Ti died. Hmm, have to get off my lazy ass and RMA that fucker. lol

WOE!!!!! Am I the only one that is interested in PLP eyefinity?

I was told this would NEVER happen, but it sure looks like it is now possible with Omega.

@Brent, the article does not look into this. Can you shed some light? Is PLP now supported? "Enables a mix of portrait and landscape oriented displays".

Do I need to sell my 290x and buy a couple of 285s to get this functionality?

As a pretty long time ATI/AMD user, I have to say this approach smells of dead rat.

So AMD is going to focus on big,giant fixes ONCE a year. So if there's an issue (like there always is) I'm going to have to wait until December 2015 to see if it's fixed?

Then whenever a new game comes out, I'll search the beta page for the proper driver to support my game?

This is less compelling than when AMD used to release a monthly driver and then randomly add in the CAP.

Secondly, what's with the shitty Crossfire upgrades?
I mean all the stuff for DUAL GRAPHICs cards....and essentially nothing for Crossfire.
We still haven't seen a proper Crossfire profile for the biggest AAA release of the Season....FarCry4.

Truth be told, I'm nervous to even try and load this software up....I've not been able to load anything past 14.9 wqhl. Every beta since has crashed my system to a black screen.

I'm thinking this new approach to drivers is going to take a giant step backwards, especially when new hardware is released.

Thanks for the article though, it was good reading and well presented.

I hope I'm wrong about this.:D

As a pretty long time ATI/AMD user, I have to say this approach smells of dead rat.

So AMD is going to focus on big,giant fixes ONCE a year. So if there's an issue (like there always is) I'm going to have to wait until December 2015 to see if it's fixed?

Then whenever a new game comes out, I'll search the beta page for the proper driver to support my game?

This is less compelling than when AMD used to release a monthly driver and then randomly add in the CAP.

I mean all the stuff for DUAL GRAPHICs cards....and essentially nothing for Crossfire.
We still haven't seen a proper Crossfire profile for the biggest AAA release of the Season....FarCry4.

Truth be told, I'm nervous to even try and load this software up....I've not been able to load anything past 14.9 wqhl. Every beta since has crashed my system to a black screen.

I'm thinking this new approach to drivers is going to take a giant step backwards, especially when new hardware is released.

I'm kind of a AMD hater...I hope your wrong about it too though. I want them to do better. AMD has been a seriously mismanaged company for a long time and is at serious risk of not lasting to much longer.

What is interesting to me about this is that AMD did a similar major driver update about two years ago with the 7000 series that provided really good performance improvements across the board for those cards. It was a little bit after the 680 was released and had taken the "performance crown". Now they are releasing this driver update soon after the 980 release. I wonder if this will become a trend where AMD waits for Nvidia to release their new cards then they release a major driver update like this. Makes you wonder why it takes so long for them to get the most out of their cards. It makes deciding on a new GPU tougher since Nvidia or AMD could suddenly release a driver updates that drastically improves performance that makes you question your purchase.

They are still doing updates/fixes throughout the year, but they are focusing on big things like new features once a year.

Glad I haven't started FC4 yet. Hope they can fix CF for it sooner than later. I refuse to play it in 1440p with a single card because I know it won't be a good experience frame wise.

I've installed these on two of my computers with different configs so far:

X58 + Core i7 920 box with a 290
Z87 + 4770K box with 290X CF

Both of these systems are working great, no issues with the install.

the upsampling res really makes me want to pick up a 4k monitor.. To bad it doesn't work with my 21x9 ratio monitor.. If it does some one please let me know..Thanks

14.9 were a disaster for me. I sure hope these aren't the same crash-fest.

First time trying to install my system, Windows 8.1 x64, BSODed. Rebooted and attempted reinstall and the setup locked up. Ended the process, uninstalled existing Catalyst drivers and manager, restarted and attempted install. Install locked up on detecting hardware. Deleted all setup files in the \AMD folder, rebooted computer and attempted install and this time it successfully made it through. Went into CCC, setup crossfire and enabled VSR and my screen went black and didn't come back after waiting about a minute. Blindly started command prompt and rebooted the PC and everything came back up, settings I made in CCC were intact still.

Fired up DOTA 2 and set the resolution at 3280x1800...or whatever it is for 1080...and played through a game....ran smooth (Though its not exactly a GPU killer) and the "added resolution" was nice

Fired up DOTA 2 and set the resolution at 3280x1800...or whatever it is for 1080...and played through a game....ran smooth (Though its not exactly a GPU killer) and the "added resolution" was nice

Increasing the resolution does nothing for you in Dota 2 though. You still see the exact same amount of the game map.

Edit: I just tried it. It seems the character models are sharper, and the mouse icons are smaller/sharper. So I guess a slight improvement. I took some screen shots

Last edited:
Wouldn't install for me. I uninstalled, try to install, crashes every time. Had to reinstall last beta driver.

I wonder if it fixes anything with The Crew. There's a stuttering issue that gets on my nerves.

Installing tonight.

So, I don't know if NVIDIA DSR is limited this way, but I wish the Catalyst software would allow me to use VSR at 120hz. I can select 3200x1800 but it only offers 60hz :(

On my gtx 970 sli, I had to use toastyx 's cru program to set my only native resolution to what I want plus the refresh rate, for example on my x-star dp2710 when playing with it at times (I mostly ran 4k since may but used it off and on recently before finally fully settling on a 4k Acer b326hk panel) I was setting 2560x1440 with 100hz on "cvt reduced blank" mode. I'd then reboot and it would allow me to set DSR factors up as normal but report and use the higher refresh rate (worked permanently until I updated drivers and had to do it as a one time thing agajn) . Try using that process with vsr here and see if it works on them too. Good luck :).

the upsampling res really makes me want to pick up a 4k monitor.. To bad it doesn't work with my 21x9 ratio monitor.. If it does some one please let me know..Thanks

If you can afford a 4k monitor and power to drive it, you'll absolutely love it imo. Went from 1440p and will never look back. That is of course assuming you want the switch back to 16:9 as well though, but personally I'd say it would be worth it.

I'm having jpg image corruption after installing these drivers,

when viewing a jpg or bmp in windows explorer half the image is pixilated white.
if I minimize and maximize the image is corrected sometimes..

anyone else ?

Asus R9-280 3GB (not OC)
Win 7 64bit
1400x900 60hrz

Last edited:
Ok....I used your link as opposed to the 14.12 link that AMD kept sending me to which turned out to be 14.12 Win 7 drivers even though I was choosing Win 8.1 drivers. When installed, they were listed as 14.9 drivers.

You know, I've been doing this since my first computer had a turbo switch....I was afraid to push it because I wasn't sure what it was for.......turned out to be a real "turbo" switch....increased the mighty processor speed from 4 MHz to 8 MHz! :)

Point being......getting a correct link to a simple software update can still be an adventure!

John

I just installed these on my HTPC which is Z97+i5 4690K and a R9 285, and worked fine there as well. So far no issues for me at all.

Doesn't support my Mobility HD 4200. I was really looking forward to playing Shadow of Mordor at Ultra settings on my work laptop. Fuck :(

j/k - glad they are bringing out an all new driver package. I feel this is a good move, so long as they keep up with regular releases that address issues and provides new game support in a timely fashion.

Battlefield 4 is FINALLY playable again in Mantle rendering mode. Only took since July to fix this issue, better late than never.

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that they are only going to WHQL once per year? For gaming, that's not a big deal, but if you use the Hulu or Netflix apps in 8.1, they require WHQL drivers (i'm guessing to prevent using 3rd party modified drivers to somehow rip and pirate their content). Or is there any easy way around that to make this a non-issue?

I have and AMD apu in my htpc, and considered adding a gpu to play some games on my big screen, but looks like i'll be giving up on the AMD side if this problem isn't resolved.

Update on my situation, still can't figure it out. I reinstalled the 14.11 drivers and they work. Now when I try to install the 14.12 drivers, it no longer crashes but hangs up during installation at the very end of the AMD Display Driver install part and will never finish. So weird.

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that they are only going to WHQL once per year? For gaming, that's not a big deal, but if you use the Hulu or Netflix apps in 8.1, they require WHQL drivers (i'm guessing to prevent using 3rd party modified drivers to somehow rip and pirate their content). Or is there any easy way around that to make this a non-issue?

I have and AMD apu in my htpc, and considered adding a gpu to play some games on my big screen, but looks like i'll be giving up on the AMD side if this problem isn't resolved.
No, it doesn't matter to me. I use Netflix on my PS4 or I use the browser version. I never use Metro Apps, so this wouldn't impact me. I'll use the latest stable drivers whether they are beta or WHQL.

No mention of windowed crossfire mode being supported? Team Green has been doing SLI windowed mode for years. I've always wanted to grab a 2nd GPU but I always play my games in fullscreen windowed mode when supported.

No mention of windowed crossfire mode being supported? Team Green has been doing SLI windowed mode for years. I've always wanted to grab a 2nd GPU but I always play my games in fullscreen windowed mode when supported.
I believe Mantle allows CFX to work in borderless windowed mode, but it doesn't work in DirectX.

Installed these for my R9 270, going to swap out for a 290X later this week. Hoping for some good results, no problem with the installation though on Win7 64.

**EDIT** When i first downloaded, the link was for Win8.1 drivers but was labeled as "Windows7/8.1 x64". Windows 7 has a separate download/install package. Problem solved!

Just adding my experiences, in that the new Omega 14.12 didn't work for me. Ran DDU to clean out the old beta 14.11 drivers, and installed Omega. The install went through fine, but never prompted for a restart or anything. Just ended. After a manual restart, my 1080 resolution was NOT auto detected, instead i was at 800x600. No Aero transparency, missing borders in the notification area, i lost the Sleep option for shutdown (wtf?), and trying to right-click and start CCC gave me an error that it couldnt start because there was nothing to configure. Ran DDU and tried a second time, got all the same problems. Ran DDU a third time and went back to Beta 14.11's, no problems.

MSI 7950 Twin Frozr, i5-2500k, msi z68a-gd65 g3 mobo, Win7 Pro x64, 8G DDR3-1866

Last edited:
I believe greece was first tho. its generic so it cant be stolen.
and since you so interested if its stolen etc..why not mail all of these then?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega

That's great and all, but those things are unrelated. The cherry-picked modded driver set was called Omega, and these are Omega drivers?

I think previous posters about this "Omega" connection have brought up an interesting bit of nostalgia and a curiosity. Who peed in your Cheerios?

Just adding my experiences, in that the new Omega 14.12 didn't work for me. Ran DDU to clean out the old beta 14.11 drivers, and installed Omega. The install went through fine, but never prompted for a restart or anything. Just ended. After a manual restart, my 1080 resolution was NOT auto detected, instead i was at 800x600. No Aero transparency, missing borders in the notification area, i lost the Sleep option for shutdown (wtf?), and trying to right-click and start CCC gave me an error that it couldnt start because there was nothing to configure. Ran DDU and tried a second time, got all the same problems. Ran DDU a third time and went back to Beta 14.11's, no problems.

MSI 7950 Twin Frozr, i5-2500k, msi z68a-gd65 g3 mobo, Win7 Pro x64, 8G DDR3-1866

Didn't use DDU and it prompted my to reboot. I read somewhere (I think it was on here) that sometimes DDU may actually do more harm than good. Try installing the new drivers without using DDU on the 14.11 drivers.

You installed the wrong drivers. There are separate installation packages for Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1. If you try and install the wrong package it will successfully install CCC but nothing else, and you'll see the behavior you described.

Everyone: Make sure you download the correct installation package for your Operating System. Windows 7 has a different download and installer than Windows 8.x.

I thought that AMD finally is doing something right with the drivers but it's still more of the same old tactics.

Comparing performance gains to some super ancient version of drivers to advertise big improvements - typical AMD snakes oil marketing.

Then we have Virtual resolution which basically is restricted to people with 60 Hz 1080p displays.

Plus some pointless features like 24 display Eyefinity.

Kyle & Brent - will you guys do proper review of DSR vs VSR ? Since DSR is so restricted it would be interesting to know if there are any advantages to what AMD is doing either in frame rates or image quality ?

Back