Introducing the new AMD Catalyst Omega Driver @ [H]

Now for some reason I get hung up right here. It sits here for a few minutes then I get a prompt in the system tray that the driver was not installed correctly, and I can't exit or do anything other than manually restart my computer. 14.11.2 beta drivers work fine but the new Omega drivers just WILL not install. I'm using Win7 64 bit and selected that on the download page "amd-catalyst-omega-14.12-with-dotnet45-win7-64bit.exe".

I get the hang up when I just try installing on top of my 14.11.2 drivers. When I actually UNINSTALL the old drivers and install the Omega drivers from scratch, I actually get a crash during the install of the new drivers.

gN0VfPQ.gif

Guess my expectations were too high and i was hoping for a replacement to gedosato. The limitations are lame even if i could use it on my 7950 i have 120hz monitor.

I have no problems playing older games at 3840x2160 at 120fps with gedosato with a single card. Even newer less demanding games like betrayer i can run 60fps at 3840x2160.

Now for some reason I get hung up right here. It sits here for a few minutes then I get a prompt in the system tray that the driver was not installed correctly, and I can't exit or do anything other than manually restart my computer. 14.11.2 beta drivers work fine but the new Omega drivers just WILL not install. I'm using Win7 64 bit and selected that on the download page "amd-catalyst-omega-14.12-with-dotnet45-win7-64bit.exe".

I get the hang up when I just try installing on top of my 14.11.2 drivers. When I actually UNINSTALL the old drivers and install the Omega drivers from scratch, I actually get a crash during the install of the new drivers.

gN0VfPQ.gif
Have you uninstalled your older drivers using DDU yet or no?

Have you uninstalled your older drivers using DDU yet or no?

Unfortunately I can't use DDU. I can use DriverSweeper, and manually delete everything else, but something is wrong with my Safe Mode (it automatically restarts when I boot into safe mode and I can never actually log in). Haven't felt like re-formatting but I have been unable to find another way around the issue.

Unfortunately I can't use DDU. I can use DriverSweeper, and manually delete everything else, but something is wrong with my Safe Mode (it automatically restarts when I boot into safe mode and I can never actually log in). Haven't felt like re-formatting but I have been unable to find another way around the issue.
That's odd. Hm, I'm not sure what to suggest then. You could try running DDU in normal mode?

i hope i can see some improvements with my 7950... won't be right if only the rebrands got improvements

Hey everyone, I have culminated a list of questions from this thread in regards to Catalyst Omega and sent it off to AMD, hopefully I will get some answers for you all on your questions.

i hope i can see some improvements with my 7950... won't be right if only the rebrands got improvements

not even close.. not even rebrands got any improvement.. most (almost all in fact) of the good stuff of these drivers are for R9 285 and R9 290(X) people, we are out of the list..

not even close.. not even rebrands got any improvement.. most (almost all in fact) of the good stuff of these drivers are for R9 285 and R9 290(X) people, we are out of the list..

you still get the driver bug fixes and updated profiles.

your 7950 is old you are expecting new features to be released for it?

It's so old AMD is still selling it under diffrent name.

Nvidia is the master of rebranding. That 8800GT (or was it the GTS 512mb?) was around for probably 4 or 5 generations.

you still get the driver bug fixes and updated profiles.

your 7950 is old you are expecting new features to be released for it?

Im using right now a 280X (7970ghz) not a 7950, but i do have a 7950 and a couple of other 7970s.. would be good to receive some good features too.. nvidia released DSR for maxwel, kepler and fermi.. and fermi its very old too even if are limited by game.. the AMD VSR are even more limited to 290(x) or even worse to enjoy fully 4K VSR to a R9 285.. so bad..

Just adding my experiences, in that the new Omega 14.12 didn't work for me. Ran DDU to clean out the old beta 14.11 drivers, and installed Omega. The install went through fine, but never prompted for a restart or anything. Just ended. After a manual restart, my 1080 resolution was NOT auto detected, instead i was at 800x600. No Aero transparency, missing borders in the notification area, i lost the Sleep option for shutdown (wtf?), and trying to right-click and start CCC gave me an error that it couldnt start because there was nothing to configure. Ran DDU and tried a second time, got all the same problems. Ran DDU a third time and went back to Beta 14.11's, no problems.

MSI 7950 Twin Frozr, i5-2500k, msi z68a-gd65 g3 mobo, Win7 Pro x64, 8G DDR3-1866

Haha I did this like 3 times and was like WTF.. I downloaded the drives from the link and with out looking installed them.. Well they were windows 8 drivers and not windows 7 drivers. So for a few people that are posting there not working make sure your getting the right drivers. There not windows 8/7 any more there is a Windows 7 pack and a windows 8 pack.

Well, this is from the PCPER article about this driver, regarding possible support for *older* cards:

"I did ask about other GPU support and AMD stated that it MIGHT be willing to implement VSR for other GPUs but it have to implement a software/shader based version of the scaling process."

Hopefully they don't stop at a might and actually do it.

Haha I did this like 3 times and was like WTF.. I downloaded the drives from the link and with out looking installed them.. Well they were windows 8 drivers and not windows 7 drivers. So for a few people that are posting there not working make sure your getting the right drivers. There not windows 8/7 any more there is a Windows 7 pack and a windows 8 pack.
I've communicated back to AMD that they should make this more obvious / transparent to end users, as I've seen a lot of confusion here and on Reddit. I myself had the same problem when I tried to install the Windows 8.1 drivers from my Windows 8 box on my other Windows 7 PC.

One difference I've seen so far between Nvidia vs. AMD is that AMD is only fixing old ass games, while Nvidia is actually supporting game that matters.

Example, lastest NVIDIA beta got support for Elite dangerous, while this omega driver is talking about tomb raider and farcry 2, not to mention hit man absolution? who the fuck still play it.

One difference I've seen so far between Nvidia vs. AMD is that AMD is only fixing old ass games, while Nvidia is actually supporting game that matters.

Example, lastest NVIDIA beta got support for Elite dangerous, while this omega driver is talking about tomb raider and farcry 2, not to mention hit man absolution? who the fuck still play it.

Me =D I still play occasionally Hitman absolution and Tomb Raider.. my GF also love both games.. but yes I noticed the improvements mostly are for oldie games..

A very large segment of gamers don't care about the latest crap (no pun intended) that has defined the gaming experience in the last couple years.

Most likely because they are on AMD's Never Settle bundle? Either way I'm happy to see improvements, it's always important not to forget old titles and not only concentrate on new ones :)

I've been playing League of Legends and Diablo 3 for quite some time, I would definitely like more FPS for those :D

Hello everyone, I culminated all the questions you had from this thread in regards to Catalyst Omega and sent those questions over to AMD to get you guys answers. I have the responses. A big thank you to Robert Hallock for the answers.

Question: Any updates on a CrossFire profile for Far Cry 4?
RH: We have currently disabled CrossFire support for Far Cry 4, as the developer must make additional client-side updates before mGPU will provide a smooth experience.

Question: Will it be possible in the future to support VSR on 1440p displays at greater than 60Hz? Is this a bandwidth issue, or something that can be supported?
RH: We are exploring additional resolution/refresh combinations beyond what was provided in AMD Catalyst Omega, but we have not determined the complete matrix. However, we do intend to extend 4K downsampling to all R9 and R7 Series products, 260 and up, with a driver in the Jan/Feb timeframe.

Question: In regards to PLP Eyefinity, which GPUs support this, is it only R9 285 and if so, will there be support on other GPUs in the future?
RH: This is a hardware-level capability, and is therefore limited to the R9 285 at this time.

Question: Will VSR work on 21:9 ratio displays? If not now, in the future?
RH: We are exploring additional resolution/refresh combinations beyond what was provided in AMD Catalyst Omega, but we have not determined the complete matrix. However, we do intend to extend 4K downsampling to all R9 and R7 Series products, 260 and up, with a driver in the Jan/Feb timeframe.

Question: Will Catalyst Omega be the only WHQL certified driver once a year, or will you release other subsequent WHQL certified driver releases throughout the year in addition to Omega?
RH: There will be other WHQL releases throughout the year.

Question: Is Windowed gaming CrossFire mode supported? If not, will it be in the future?
RH: Windowed CrossFire is not supported at this time, however we well understand that community desires this feature.

Question: Will there be support of 4K VSR (3840x2160) on Hawaii R9 290X/290 in the future?
RH: We do intend to extend 4K downsampling to all R9 and R7 Series products, 260 and up, with a driver in the Jan/Feb timeframe.

Thank you to Robert Hallock for the answers.

I've been playing League of Legends and Diablo 3 for quite some time, I would definitely like more FPS for those :D

This isn't an attack or slight towards you in anyway, but pure curiosity. What video card are you running that isn't giving you over 60 fps on LoL?

Question: Is Windowed gaming CrossFire mode supported? If not, will it be in the future?
RH: Windowed CrossFire is not supported at this time, however we well understand that community desires this feature.

Thank you to Robert Hallock for the answers.

And thank you for presenting him with our questions/concerns!

You installed the wrong drivers. There are separate installation packages for Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1. If you try and install the wrong package it will successfully install CCC but nothing else, and you'll see the behavior you described.

Thanks for the heads up. I thought i followed through the Win7 links at AMD's site to get the right drivers. Maybe i didnt. I'll try again and update if necessary.

*EDIT*
A-HA! The site had a combined link for both Win7 AND Win8 when i downloaded the first time. Guess that was actually for Win8. Now there is a separate link for both OS's. Hopefully grabbing the correct one this time.

Nvidia is the master of rebranding. That 8800GT (or was it the GTS 512mb?) was around for probably 4 or 5 generations.
The G92 chip used in the 8800 GT was used in 3 generations of cards and it was no secret. AMD is nearly just as bad at rebranding if not worse. Most cards they have out now are rebrands, some of which go back 2 or 3 generations.

Last edited:
I just wanted to note that I have successfully implemented down sampling up to resolution 3979x2238 with gpu scaling on my 290x crossfire setup months ago the only caveat is that it won't work properly in full screen exclusive on some games causing crossfire not to kick in because of the windowed mode issue. It is full screen down sampling and works great with single gpu setups. So I'm guessing AMD is just holding out until the release of the 390x (probably a month after) they give us 4k downsampling kind of like what Nvidia did. My point is over 4k downsampling is possible RIGHT now with the 290x with out and 3rd party apps.. All driver.

A very large segment of gamers don't care about the latest crap (no pun intended) that has defined the gaming experience in the last couple years.
The industry has practically TRAINED people to wait on games if at all possible. You can either buy a new game that's essentially an almost-finished beta for $60, or you can wait a year or so for a Steam sale and get a highly patched version for $5-10. Unless you have to play the latest thing out or there's a multiplayer component that can't wait, there's no incentive whatsoever to play new mainstream games now.

From the other 14.12 thread:

There appears to be a corrupt file in there somewhere. I got a box that said unsigned drivers were trying to be installed (for the display driver and the HDMI audio driver). I rebooted and allowed unsigned drivers and it looked like it installed, except the screen didn't go black and come back on like it usually does when the driver is updated. I tried installing manually from device manager and that's when it said it was unsuccessful and that there might be a corrupt file.

I used DDU in safe mode and normal mode, no good.

Went to reinstall 14.9 (after DDU for the 3rd time) and... UNSIGNED DRIVER!

Had to run system restore.

Try again AMD.

Rizen....initially this AM there was only one pathway....it was very confusing.

You are correct. You need to pay close attention or you get no drivers, just the ccc.

Did you download the correct driver for your operating system? There are different packages for Windows 7 and Windows 8, both 32-bit and 64-bit editions.

Yes, and I downloaded it 3 times to make sure the download wasn't corrupt.

So next year can we expect 290/290x owners to be left in the cold when they release the next official yearly driver update? because if this is AMD's new modus operandi going forward than they just made my next graphic card purchase an easy choice. I don't normally complain about not receiving free stuff, but when the competition fully supports the previous generation cards with full feature functionality on kepler cards, the AMD value proposition suddenly doesnt look so good to me anymore.

Seems like Nvidia always gets all of the cool new stuff first with AMD playing catch up like always, but now theyre on a yearly release schedule with no hope of receiving the copy cat features until the end of the year, sounds like torture if you ask me.

I wonder if it fixes anything with The Crew. There's a stuttering issue that gets on my nerves.

Installing tonight.

The Crew has stuttering issues? Jesus.. That's practically a feature of Ubi games these days.

I'll give these a whirl, interested to see how the superres pans out.

So next year can we expect 290/290x owners to be left in the cold when they release the next official yearly driver update? because if this is AMD's new modus operandi going forward than they just made my next graphic card purchase an easy choice. I don't normally complain about not receiving free stuff, but when the competition fully supports the previous generation cards with full feature functionality on kepler cards, the AMD value proposition suddenly doesnt look so good to me anymore.

Seems like Nvidia always gets all of the cool new stuff first with AMD playing catch up like always, but now theyre on a yearly release schedule with no hope of receiving the copy cat features until the end of the year, sounds like torture if you ask me.
They will be adding VSR support to all cards R7 260 and up in a future driver release. That information was posted on this very page just a few posts up from you:

Question: Will VSR work on 21:9 ratio displays? If not now, in the future?

Hmm... had these drivers installed for a few hours but I'm getting constant crashes and bluescreens when I watch video in my web browsers now. Twitch and Youtube both cause crashes as well as flash, I may go back to 14.11 beta.

They will be adding VSR support to all cards R7 260 and up in a future driver release. That information was posted on this very page just a few posts up from you:

I'm aware of this, but that implies the HD7000 series won't be included in this update. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the gtx680 get the same features like DSR as the rebranded gtx770?

gtx680 = gtx770
R9 280x/280 = hd7970/7950

Am I offbase with my thought process here, is there some kind of hardware difference with the AMD rebrands that I'm not aware of that prevents these features to be included in the older 7000 series? are they both not the same GCN architecture.

Last edited:
The G92 chip used in the 8800 GT was used in 3 generations of cards and it was no secret. AMD is nearly just as bad at rebranding if not worse. Most cards they have out now are rebrands, some of which go back 2 or 3 generations.

That's not true. Nvidia is worse, looking back at all the cases.
The lowend needs to be rebranded because neither are making 64bit GPUs anymore thanks to APUs.

Back