Intel's 8th Generation Core Family - Coffee Lake (LGA 1151, 6C/12T)

Where do you expect Core i7-8700K's Turbo to land?

• 3.8/3.9 GHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.0/4.1 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.2/4.3 GHz

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 4.4/4.5 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.6/4.7 GHz

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Little ridges help, apparently. I saw it on my D15 and thought it was a defect so I looked it up.

LvfGwEy.png

Was the problem Koduri? Or was the problem Lisa Su eliminating resources from the GPU group to reassign them to the CPU group? Koduri moved to Intel because Intel is giving him the resources he needs.

Check also

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/05/27/from_ati_to_amd_back_journey_in_futility

You would read your own links, whereas paying attention to the difference between actual sales vs projected sales.

Even if you have no time to read the articles that you bring to us. At least check the table in that article. There is only one table in the article and it states that AMD Desktop Unit Share was 9.9% in 4Q16. So even accepting those "12.9% in 4Q17" as actual sales, RyZen gave only a ridiculous 3% share gain during the whole 2017.

And as stated before those numbers don't consider the recent impact of CoffeeLake sales. AMD won 3% marketshare the past year and then lost it. Now AMD marketshare is back ot pre-Zen time.

One has to know how to use Passmark marketshare data correctly. Clickbait articles took the early July marketshare value to generate false headlines. I discussed those false headlines here in the forums. I prepared the next graph

passmarks_cheating-png.29757

showing how the clickbait articles mentioned only the original fluctuation (31%) in the database to spread false information. Once the fluctuations went away (it took several days) the graph reported the final stable value, which of course the clickbait articles ignored.

The passmark graph also suffered fluctuations the first days of January of this year, but I expected the fluctuations to vanish and I started mentioning the graph only when the marketshare for 1Q18 was stable.

Of course, passmark share isn't the only indicator that shows the same trend: Intel is back and stole marketshare from AMD, thanks to CoffeeLake. Check the Amazon and Mindfactory stuff given in #4183

The defense of Kadouri fails all the time, he alienated RTG from AMD then set off with a series of failed projects and wasted money. Intel is going to give him money to blow and likely be underwhelmed in the process. AMD seemed to be in a hurry to get him out. He had 4 years of independence with RTG, failed and got the can, he was lucky to have a job after the Polaris hype he was personally responsible for. You defend him now because he is a blue boy, I wonder if this will be the same when he fails again.

Yf3ocrJ.png

The graph shows actual units sold by a e-tailer in the desktop PC market:

Jan - 0%
Feb - 0%
March - 27%
April - 36%
May - 42%
June - 48%
July - 49%
August - 56%
September - 57%
October - 57%
November - 57% (notice the boom in units sold)
December - 46%

So you claim pre Zen, Pre Zen AMD sold 0% by one small sample. Since Zen AMD averages about 45% of 2017's total Unit sales by one company. The article by Paul Alcorn highlight this, in Desktop only AMD is selling as many units as Intel are. In total addressable markets AMD has low numbers in Server space as Epyc was a late year entry, AMD has no data in the mobility market due to lateness in APU's and AMD has no presence in the 30% market space for iGPU's. All of this is set to be addressed through 2018. In desktop share AMD is almost 50-50, in total markets AMD probably only has 12% marketshare but that is likely to increase.

About the only thing i can agree on is AMD holds maybe 3% server market and about the same in mobility, these are bigger and more lucrative markets that AMD needs to address, Desktop is small scale.

Passmark is itself clickbait, click to run a bench and get surveyed at the same time, this doesn't account for the overwhelming majority that don't have time for that crap.

Little ridges help, apparently. I saw it on my D15 and thought it was a defect so I looked it up.
It just looks like CNC tooling marks, and they didnt spend the man time finishing/polishing it, but Noctua should know what they are doing and I dont think they would cut corners so maybe the new tech is reverting from mirror smooth on the HS base and needs more surface area for the tim?

I would be incredibly surprised if there were any measurable difference at all. These are very minor effects in the overall scheme of things.

45W Coffee Lake-H Series

Core i5-8300H: 4C/8T, 8M L3 Default 2.3 GHz, All Core 3.9 GHz, Single Core 4.0 GHz

Core i5-8400H: 4C/8T, 8MB L3 Default 2.5 GHz, All Core 4.1 GHz, Single Core 4.2 GHz

Core i7-8750H: 6C/12T, 9MB L3 Default 2.2 GHz, All Core 3.9 GHz, single Core 4.1 GHz

Core i7-8850H: 6C/12T, 9MB L3 Default 2.6 GHz, All Core 4.0 GHz, Single Core 4.3 GHz

Core i9-8950HK 6C/12T, 12MB L3 Default 4.3 GHz, Single Core 4.8 GHz

Xeon 2176M 6C/12T 12MB L3 Default 2.7 GHz, 4.1 All Core, Single Core 4.4 GHz

Xeon E-2186M 6C/12T, 12MB Default 2.9 GHz, All Core 4.3 GHz, Single Core 4.8 GHz

Intel UHD Graphics 630

Source: www.chiphell.com/thread-1817327-1-2.html

Last edited:
Very cool.

I will say that the 8550U (4C/8T 1.8GHz base/4.0GHz turbo) in my new Zenbook 2-in-1 can scream along if you keep it cool... :)

[and because it's a 2-in-1, I've disabled some of the tablet automatic stuff, and can set it somewhat awkwardly into the 'tent' configuration to provide better cooling- looks stupid, but it works!]

45W Coffee Lake-H Series

Core i5-8300H: 4C/8T, 8M L3 Default 2.3 GHz, All Core 3.9 GHz, Single Core 4.0 GHz

Core i5-8400H: 4C/8T, 8MB L3 Default 2.5 GHz, All Core 4.1 GHz, Single Core 4.2 GHz

Core i7-8750H: 6C/12T, 9MB L3 Default 2.2 GHz, All Core 3.9 GHz, single Core 4.1 GHz

Core i7-8850H: 6C/12T, 9MB L3 Default 2.6 GHz, All Core 4.0 GHz, Single Core 4.3 GHz

Core i9-8950HK 6C/12T, 12MB L3 Default 4.3 GHz, Single Core 4.8 GHz

Xeon 2176M 6C/12T 12MB L3 Default 2.7 GHz, 4.1 All Core, Single Core 4.4 GHz

Xeon E-2186M 6C/12T, 12MB Default 2.9 GHz, All Core 4.3 GHz, Single Core 4.8 GHz

Intel UHD Graphics 630

Source: www.chiphell.com/thread-1817327-1-2.html

And now we get mobile chips boosting higher than desktop chips(8700k) Holy SHIET

And now we get mobile chips boosting higher than desktop chips(8700k) Holy SHIET

yea but the end result of overclocking in a laptop is $h!t. i think a 4.5ghz is possible with only the HK assuming the OEM/ODM doesnt fk it up by designing a cooling heatsink capable of only 45w, which is very likely to happen unless in the biggest and thickest laptop.

even clevo's laptop which uses desktop CPU, the heatsink is kinda small. its good i got a SL chip to run it cool otherwise its a joke.

also can't wait to see ANY review on cannonlake, i wanna see if theres hope of any possible IPC gain and power efficiency at lower clock like 3ghz. if it does, 10nm+ tigerlake will be decent with 2 more cores.

So the 4/4 i3-8300 is launching at $170 USD.

Meanwhile, the 4/8 2400g is launching for about the same price, meaning the slower and Vega-less R3 1400 will have to drop down to at least $125... on a motherboard that costs half as much.

Meanwhile, the 4/8 2400g is launching for about the same price, meaning the slower and Vega-less R3 1400 will have to drop down to at least $125... on a motherboard that costs half as much.

So in other words, the i3 now costs what the i5 used to cost because it has the same cores/threads as the old i5.

This is the cut-off point where I'd switch my recommendation to Ryzen- the lower clockspeeds will bite a little for gaming, but not nearly as much as not having enough cores in the first place.

Contingent on AMD getting performance up with more pedestrian RAM, though.

This is the cut-off point where I'd switch my recommendation to Ryzen- the lower clockspeeds will bite a little for gaming, but not nearly as much as not having enough cores in the first place.

Contingent on AMD getting performance up with more pedestrian RAM, though.

High speed ram is so meaningless tho. To get the higher speeds they have to increase latency and there comes a tipping point that the latency hurts more then what you gain by higher speed. Only on a apu does the higher speeds tend to make much difference and with HBM now there is a even better fix for the memory bottleneck on a apu. After most of the bios updates tho memory support improved quite a bit and 3200 speeds are pretty easy to hit now, beyond that it can be much more difficult.

High speed ram is so meaningless tho. To get the higher speeds they have to increase latency and there comes a tipping point that the latency hurts more then what you gain by higher speed. Only on a apu does the higher speeds tend to make much difference and with HBM now there is a even better fix for the memory bottleneck on a apu. After most of the bios updates tho memory support improved quite a bit and 3200 speeds are pretty easy to hit now, beyond that it can be much more difficult.

You're right that the speed itself is meaningless- except in the case of Ryzen, where RAM speed increases decrease internal latency. That needed fixing, because the CPU itself didn't need the extra memory bandwidth.

You're right that the speed itself is meaningless- except in the case of Ryzen, where RAM speed increases decrease internal latency. That needed fixing, because the CPU itself didn't need the extra memory bandwidth.

While you are right that the fabric speed and latency is affected by the higher clocked memory, it's only more noticeable from 2400 to 3200 speeds. People managed to get to 4000 speeds and it made little difference in benchmarks compared to going from 2400 to 3200. I believe if I remember right they are going to put the fabric on a multiplier in Zen 2, if so then it wont even matter anymore. Early on tho it was a pain with Ryzen and large quantities of ram.

While you are right that the fabric speed and latency is affected by the higher clocked memory, it's only more noticeable from 2400 to 3200 speeds. People managed to get to 4000 speeds and it made little difference in benchmarks compared to going from 2400 to 3200.

That is the normal behavior. First because 2400-->3200 is a higher overclock than 3200-->4000. Second because the cache/memory subsystem in Zen bottlenecks passed the 3200MHz.

That is the normal behavior. First because 2400-->3200 is a higher overclock than 3200-->4000. Second because the cache/memory subsystem in Zen bottlenecks passed the 3200MHz.

Your not very good at math, 2400 to 3200 is a 800 difference or the same as 3200 to 4000. Secondly your just guessing since we have no way of knowing, more likely possibility is a hidden divider is used to keep the fabric from being ran way out of spec. As some have dug through the bios and found a hidden fabric divider, however I dont think anyone has managed to make it actually do anything if they hacked the bios to make it selectable. See if you looked around most got better results simply by lowering the latency on the ram then actually running higher speeds as Ryzen really likes the low latency ram. I like how you guess and call it fact tho.

The CPU portion of the 2400g will perform best at 3200 cas 14, which will be just as good as 3600 cas 16 or even faster speeds with cas 17/18.

However, the igpu will want the fastest ram, with latentcy having a smaller impact. There, it would be nice to see 3600 mhz or higher supported.

I believe AMD was running a 2400g at 3600 mhz ram on one of their slides.

The CPU portion of the 2400g will perform best at 3200 cas 14, which will be just as good as 3600 cas 16 or even faster speeds with cas 17/18.

However, the igpu will want the fastest ram, with latentcy having a smaller impact. There, it would be nice to see 3600 mhz or higher supported.

I believe AMD was running a 2400g at 3600 mhz ram on one of their slides.

Yeah with a igpu higher speed is better then low latency and why you see AMD using 3600 speed ram. But HBM being used will eventually make that no longer necessary. It will be interesting to see how the igpu evolves over the next few generations.

Yeah with a igpu higher speed is better then low latency and why you see AMD using 3600 speed ram. But HBM being used will eventually make that no longer necessary. It will be interesting to see how the igpu evolves over the next few generations.

Do we have any information on an AMD APU with HBM hooked up for the iGPU yet?

Intel's solution is a full daughterboard...

Do we have any information on an AMD APU with HBM hooked up for the iGPU yet?

Intel's solution is a full daughterboard...

Not anything known but I doubt Intel has the only solution for that. My guess AMD will wait for the cheaper iteration of HBM to create their own.

so whats this whiskey lake thing after coffeelake, and semi accurate mentioned about hearing rumor of another 14nm after whiskey lake. ffs 10nm+ icelake pushed back to end of 2019 now? juanrga Dayman

so whats this whiskey lake thing after coffeelake, and semi accurate mentioned about hearing rumor of another 14nm after whiskey lake. ffs 10nm+ icelake pushed back to end of 2019 now? juanrga Dayman

Whiskey Lake is based on 14nm and is coming in summer~ apparently - no idea what it entails - just that it is 4 cores. I can't imagine Intel pushing back 10nm products any further, if anything they are trying to make up for lost time.

Whiskey Lake is based on 14nm and is coming in summer~ apparently - no idea what it entails - just that it is 4 cores. I can't imagine Intel pushing back 10nm products any further, if anything they are trying to make up for lost time.

10nm just wont hit mainstream until they can get EUVL tech installed. Right now the only way to make them is using lots of masks and it creates yield issues with bigger chips and it's takes quite a bit longer to make that way as well. I expect they will stay delayed until the end of the year where I think they will finally enter 10nm production for server and desktops chips. Intel tried to make it work without the EUVL tech and it just didnt work out and why everyone is catching up to them now.

Indicators as Amazon best selling list, Mindfactory sales, Passmark marketshare,... clearly indicated that CoffeeLake was selling very very well and stealing marketshare from AMD. i7-8700k has been consistently #1 in sales in Amazon at least since 1 January (when I started watching this). In last Earnings, Intel confirmed excellent sales and reported record in number of i7s sold.

Intel also mentioned that fixing of Meltdown and Spectre at silicon-level will be ready this year. And confirmed that 10nm processors started shipping by end of year and will continue to ship during this year with volume production in second half.

10nm just wont hit mainstream until they can get EUVL tech installed. Right now the only way to make them is using lots of masks and it creates yield issues with bigger chips and it's takes quite a bit longer to make that way as well. I expect they will stay delayed until the end of the year where I think they will finally enter 10nm production for server and desktops chips. Intel tried to make it work without the EUVL tech and it just didnt work out and why everyone is catching up to them now.

Intel has said in their recent Earnings Call (yesterday) that it is currently ramping(shipping low volume skus) and full ramp is in H2'18, and expect a Gross Margin hit in H2'18. I doubt Intel will use EUVL tech until 10nm++ or 7nm. While it is ramping - I doubt the products you or I want will arrive this year.

Intel has said in their recent Earnings Call (yesterday) that it is currently ramping(shipping low volume skus) and full ramp is in H2'18, and expect a Gross Margin hit in H2'18. I doubt Intel will use EUVL tech until 10nm++ or 7nm. While it is ramping - I doubt the products you or I want will arrive this year.

what is EUVL? so if silicon fix will do the trick then hope theres no delay.. so 10nm+ still scheduled for end of this year then?

what is EUVL? so if silicon fix will do the trick then hope theres no delay.. so 10nm+ still scheduled for end of this year then?

EUVL is Extreme Ultra Violet Lithography - It is a technology that is meant to make shrinking nodes easier by removing the amount of patterning and masks required to do it - thus decreasing complexity, although it's been delayed year after year but it finally seems to be coming to fruition. I don't think the silicon fix will be a full fix, just in silicon mitigations to reduce software overhead which in turn would improve performance. Assuming no delays, 10nm+ should start ramping in H2'18 in time for ICL release in 2019

Back