Intel's 8th Generation Core Family - Coffee Lake (LGA 1151, 6C/12T)

Where do you expect Core i7-8700K's Turbo to land?

• 3.8/3.9 GHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.0/4.1 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.2/4.3 GHz

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 4.4/4.5 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.6/4.7 GHz

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
LOL. Microcenter has the 8700k for $499 on their website right now. Not sure if that is the actual in-store price or not. Anyone who pays that is a fool.

So i bought the gaming 7 board from newegg, and i backordered the 8700k which is the same as one of their combos, which is 50 bucks off. So i contacted chat and they said when the CPU is actually shipped out they are putting a note on my account to give me the 50 dollar refund i just need to contact them back when i get the sales number. Thought that was cool hopefully it is only 20 days or so

LOL $499 at microcenter and already sold out. No thanks. Backordered it at newegg.

I wouldn't call them sold out, I was just at the Columbus, OH location. They never had any in stock. And I'm not sure the price is anything more than a placeholder.

hs9U75B.png

The new mainstream gaming king is here. i5-8400 is looking like a small gem.

Microcenter seems to be price gouging on the i5 8400. They have it listed at $249. I thought retail was supposed to be under $200.

PCLab got their 8600K to 4.9-5.3 GHz, 13.6% faster than a 7700K @ 5 GHz in their chart. But of course if you're mainly gaming you will be fine with KBL.

srednia_gry.png

All the websites that tested CPU limited gaming (Hadware.fr, TPU, PCLab, PurePC, etc) are showing significant performance gains over Ryzen though. That's a strong selling point for Coffee Lake.

hs9U75B.png

The new mainstream gaming king is here. i5-8400 is looking like a small gem.
I would look out for the i3-8350K. Same as the i5-8400 (if I'm not mistaken), but unlocked. Newegg has them in stock right now cheaper than the i5-8400.

DDR4-3200 is generally the accepted sweetspot for ram. Is that correct? Havent built a PC since 4790K.

DDR4-3200 is generally the accepted sweetspot for ram. Is that correct? Havent built a PC since 4790K.
For the current price per performance ratio, yes. Prices go up pretty quickly on anything faster than 3200 MT/s and you start to get diminishing returns on performance. I think 3866-4000 MT/s is ideal if you're overclocking to the limits. Just going off of information I've been reading as I, too, have not done a platform upgrade since getting my i7-4770.

its is crazy to see how different so many of the reviews are showing, even in something as simple as cinebench numbers

Sounds like they're using better thermal paste between the die and the IHS. Delidding will still be worth it for the extreme OCers using liquid metal, but replacing it with normal TIM won't be worth the trouble.

So i bought the gaming 7 board from newegg, and i backordered the 8700k which is the same as one of their combos, which is 50 bucks off. So i contacted chat and they said when the CPU is actually shipped out they are putting a note on my account to give me the 50 dollar refund i just need to contact them back when i get the sales number. Thought that was cool hopefully it is only 20 days or so
Where do you see a list of the newegg combos?

According to those numbers it won't matter what I get for a cpu.
It also shows that game play will be good no matter what you buy? Min and max are good/playable even on the slowest cpu.

Games have been GPU bound for the longest time now still it's interesting to see what happens in benchmarks.

8700 non-K on non-Z mobo might attract my attention, but I think I will just wait for the 8 cores.
That's what I was thinking, would be nice if multicore would work but doubt it. It's a 3-6month wait for h370 anyway so cane see lots of reviews and maybe get more heads up on icelake.

My 3570k undervolt OC benchmarks like a 7600 so not in a huge hurry. Currently only run fans when gaming so it's quiet, think an 8700k will bring me back to Q9650 and before days of loud fans to keep cool.......still waiting lol

Hope they will bump i7 to 8/16 on Ice Lake. Now that will be a nice upgrade.
its is crazy to see how different so many of the reviews are showing, even in something as simple as cinebench numbers

Synthetic tests are always weird. That's why I'm looking at gaming tests and see little performance gain for now.

Hope they will bump i7 to 8/16 on Ice Lake. Now that will be a nice upgrade.

Synthetic tests are always weird. That's why I'm looking at gaming tests and see little performance gain for now.
yeah same still seeing things all over the place even on anandtech they said they dont know whats happening with the gaming numbers. maybe just buggy UEFI handling the turbo bins

Hi Luke. I'm going to get the same combo, thank you for pointing it out. Can you tell me what RAM you are going to get with it? Also, what drove you to this motherboard? I'm liking the Audio specs.

Sais the dude that is 36 years old and has had the name since 16. That was 20 years ago. Waaaaaay before people cared two shits about tactical anything. Way before many of you reading this was even born.

Been rocking this screen name for the past 25 years, half my life (yeah, old fart at 50 here)...

When I look at your screen name, I immediately think of the phonetic alphabet (T = tango) & the Navy SEALs, hence the chuckle I got from the tacticool comment...!

Was not trying to bust your balls, just found it funny...

Reviews do not favor this chip much across the board. Completely not worth the money if you already have a fast Kaby Lake machine unless you want 2 more cores. This seems lkke a knee kerk reaction chip.
Kaby Lake is 10 months old lol. This is Intel bumping their core counts and basically nothing else.

Last edited:
Reviews do not favor this chip much across the board. Completely not worth the money if you already have a fast Kaby Lake machine unless you want 2 more cores. This seems lkke a knee kerk reaction chip.

True, but having Intel to finally release a mainstream 6 core parts is good for everyone since they have been sitting on their arse for a long time. I am just glad Intel finally ditching dual core in their i3 line up.

Back