Intel's 8th Generation Core Family - Coffee Lake (LGA 1151, 6C/12T)

Where do you expect Core i7-8700K's Turbo to land?

• 3.8/3.9 GHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.0/4.1 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.2/4.3 GHz

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 4.4/4.5 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.6/4.7 GHz

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Get some good samsung b-die 3200. Trident-Z CAS 14 is a good choice, it's worth the extra couple of bucks.
Why is that exactly? I know that Samsung b-die are good for Ryzen compatibility, however I did not think it mattered much for Intel.

At this point I think ill stick with my X5670. Basically this is exactly what I think it was, a 7700k with 2 more cores glued on (Just like Threadripper!). No IPC improvement, Might as well stick with your 7700k.

I hate to say it, but the 2600k is still in my eyes the best Intel CPU in a long damn time. I have regrets sometimes selling my 2700k that hit 5ghz.

Either way Like I said in the review thread. There are 2 people I know who have a lot of defending/excuse making to do now.

8600k is lookin like an amazing Gaming CPU for a great price.

That is the truth. between the 8600k and the 1600/1600x I would almost lean to the 8600k just because of overclocking. 5ghz looks to be pretty damn easy to get!

All in all with Ryzen 2 coming out beginning of next year, this is going to make the battle between intel/AMD very interesting.

Bring on the price wars!

Attachments

• 46574F02-8EFD-48C6-A642-375387C34697.jpeg
    46574F02-8EFD-48C6-A642-375387C34697.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 93B719E7-0E25-4E21-B95F-26D4D7DB364D.jpeg
    93B719E7-0E25-4E21-B95F-26D4D7DB364D.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 29
8600k is lookin like an amazing Gaming CPU for a great price.

Only problem is the K doesnt get you as much as it used to, the techreport review althought not including temps that I could see says 4.8ghz on air for 8600k. Which is the other thing with the newer cpus they dont OC like the old ones, since they basically have just built in higher clocks. 19% OC was easy for ivy bridge on stock volts now your looking at 12% on air easy

Hi Luke. I'm going to get the same combo, thank you for pointing it out. Can you tell me what RAM you are going to get with it? Also, what drove you to this motherboard? I'm liking the Audio specs.
I already had 2x16gb gskill rgb 14-14-14-34 3200 and i bought a second kit. I went with the board due to the 3 m.2 i will be raiding 2 nvme drives and i have a SATA. I do like thelook as well. REALLY hoping it will work with 4 sticks of ram and my Kraken x62 and allow me to fit all 4

Everyone pleased with the effective 8700k paper launch?

Most places around here had zero retail availability on launch. Newegg is projecting stock/backorder fulfillment into mid/late November.

At the very least, it shouldn't be hard to pick up the motherboard you want. Nobody has a chip to put in it.

Only problem is the K doesnt get you as much as it used to, the techreport review althought not including temps that I could see says 4.8ghz on air for 8600k. Which is the other thing with the newer cpus they dont OC like the old ones, since they basically have just built in higher clocks. 19% OC was easy for ivy bridge on stock volts now your looking at 12% on air easy

Yup agree 100%.. My 6600k is OC'ed by 1000mhz... and its performance is pretty much identical to all the 4 core lake ( sky, kabe, coffee) CPUs... at the same clocks of course.

Yup agree 100%.. My 6600k is OC'ed by 1000mhz... and its performance is pretty much identical to all the 4 core lake ( sky, kabe, coffee) CPUs... at the same clocks of course.
No so sure about that unless I just got a golden CPU. And this CPU did not come from Intel.

Thinking about upgrading the 'other' computer - 2500K not performing well anymore in newer games (at 4.3 OC).

Worth the upgrade? Thinkin 8700K, but 8600K looking good. Regretted not going with HT before though.

Thinking about upgrading the 'other' computer - 2500K not performing well anymore in newer games (at 4.3 OC).

Worth the upgrade? Thinkin 8700K, but 8600K looking good. Regretted not going with HT before though.
personally I think the 8700 with an H series Mobo will be a winner. Unless they allow multicore turbo to work on z370 which at least 1review it doesn't work with the 8400

Just stumbled across someone selling a 4790K for $80, parting out their old pre-built replacing it with a CFL rig. We'll see what happens.

What are you saying?
Pretty sure he's saying that he got lucky with the CPU oc'ing so well.

Also is it recommended to use Windows 10 for the 8700k? I have one coming in either tomorrow or Saturday hopefully and I haven't left Windows 7 yet.

Also is it recommended to use Windows 10 for the 8700k? I have one coming in either tomorrow or Saturday hopefully and I haven't left Windows 7 yet.

They say it only works with Windows 10 but I wouldn't be surprised to see it work with Windows 7 (as was the case with Kaby), some features will be missing though.

But really, just get Windows 10. It's still free. Just make sure you get the pro version so you can use group policies to manage Windows update and stuff.

Time for you to pack up your shit and move on! Windows 10 is solid.

I am saying that I have no reason to believe that the CPU I am using is much unlike any other. UNLESS, just by luck I got a golden sample, but I only have one so I have no idea.

It probably still works. You might have trouble during install with USB3 and you might have to go directly to Intel's site to get some mobo drivers.
Kaby Lake was fine, anyway.

Order placed (LDLC.com) for 8700k + 32GB of 4000mhz DDR4 (OUCH! but I really need it) and a Gigabyte z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming. Mobo and ram are in stock but for the CPU they say "December". But maybe they just have no idea.

Order placed (LDLC.com) for 8700k + 32GB of DDR4 (OUCH! but I really need it) and a Gigabyte z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming. Mobo and ram are in stock but for the CPU they say "December". But maybe they just have no idea.
December? That's not too bad. Only a few months after that will be a new Intel/chipset to buy! :)

December? That's not too bad. Only a few months after that will be a new Intel/chipset to buy! :)

And possibly Ryzen 2!!! Wow december......Well yea Intel just did a paper launch. Man TBH it really seems like Intel is worried about Ryzen sales indeed.

And possibly Ryzen 2!!! Wow december......Well yea Intel just did a paper launch. Man TBH it really seems like Intel is worried about Ryzen sales indeed.

ikr. all thanks to AMD otherwise guaranteed milk for another 1yr on quads, as well as more refreshes and 10 more yrs on hexa mainstream.

Been rocking this screen name for the past 25 years, half my life (yeah, old fart at 50 here)...

When I look at your screen name, I immediately think of the phonetic alphabet (T = tango) & the Navy SEALs, hence the chuckle I got from the tacticool comment...!

Was not trying to bust your balls, just found it funny...

Haha yeah no prob. It was actually TerroristSeaLion but when I was 16 my lan party friends made me change it to Tangoseal.

Isn't the 6600k 3.5 stock? I have mine OC'ed to 4.5mhz atm. All the Lake CPUs have the same IPC.. At the same clocks there performances should be margin of error. If all CPUs are 4 core obviously.
Stock? Wtf does that have to do with anything?

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Ryzen 2 in 2019?

That is a cheap move, if true and chips are delayed until November and December that would be a corporate low blow, not that Intel is averse to that.

Assuming no issues with the 7nm then 2019 is the likely release, i think 2019 was a conservative push back in case of the aforementioned

Yea. I try not to take PR from any tech company period. I mean shit lets not even mention this current Intel release which is basically a paper launch.

Now IF Ryzen comes out with the 2000 refresh in Q1 2018....that will throw a wrench in Intel's plan.

Yea. I try not to take PR from any tech company period. I mean shit lets not even mention this current Intel release which is basically a paper launch.

Now IF Ryzen comes out with the 2000 refresh in Q1 2018....that will throw a wrench in Intel's plan.

A few months back pinnacle ridge was slated for Q1 say Q1/Q2 conservative it is a good time to realease early in a year.

PR has some low lying fruits to tweak, the ultimate challenge will be tosqueeze higher turbo policies, most ryzen out the box push like 3.5-3.5 allcores and 4ghz max which is to low

A few months back pinnacle ridge was slated for Q1 say Q1/Q2 conservative it is a good time to realease early in a year.

PR has some low lying fruits to tweak, the ultimate challenge will be tosqueeze higher turbo policies, most ryzen out the box push like 3.5-3.5 allcores and 4ghz max which is to low

Yea 4ghz is kind of low. So hopefully they can refine the processor, and release Ryzen 2k with 4.5+ overclocks.

Back