Intel's 8th Generation Core Family - Coffee Lake (LGA 1151, 6C/12T)

Where do you expect Core i7-8700K's Turbo to land?

• 3.8/3.9 GHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.0/4.1 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.2/4.3 GHz

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 4.4/4.5 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.6/4.7 GHz

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
AGESA 1.0.0.6 increased the range of overclocked RAM from 3200MHz to 4000MHz.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11447/amd-announces-ryzen-agesa-1006-update

That is all.

besides that it tweaked sub-timings for various ram IC's enabling previously impossible to run sticks possible to run, they still can't reliably run b-die sticks much faster than 3500-3600 tops, on intel platforms we have access to all sub-timings AMD has it locked out from users and only they can tweak the hidden stuff via agesa

besides that it tweaked sub-timings for various ram IC's enabling previously impossible to run sticks possible to run, they still can't reliably run b-die sticks much faster than 3500-3600 tops, on intel platforms we have access to all sub-timings AMD has it locked out from users and only they can tweak the hidden stuff via agesa

That is not true about sub timings, I have access to them on my Crosshair VI, just a matter of the motherboard manufacture enabling access to it.

ryzen2 or ryzen+ gonna hit a nice ghz boost and hopefully some optimization and IPC increase. can't wait to see more competition to drive down the cost

That is not true about sub timings, I have access to them on my Crosshair VI, just a matter of the motherboard manufacture enabling access to it.

you have access to some, not all of them. intel boards have access to so many it makes your head spin if you go in there trying to mess with them, i'm at work atm but on my ROG Z270 boards i think i have some 6-7 pages of ram timing settings in the bios on both of my boards.

ryzen2 or ryzen+ gonna hit a nice ghz boost and hopefully some optimization and IPC increase. can't wait to see more competition to drive down the cost

Prices haven't decreased. Its just SKU replacement. And forget IPC changes in the Ryzen refresh on the rebranded 12LP. Its going to be all clock and just a question of how much or how little. Specially if they want to solve some of the big bugs that still plagues Zen and still goes unfixed without a plain silicon lottery.

It's like asking if a chip with double the Icp and half the clocks is better than one with half the ipc and twice the clocks. For the user, it won't really matter except for maybe power consumption.
I will choose the cpu with the best performance/$ and could care less if it comes in the form of ipc , clocks, and cores

It's like asking if a chip with double the Icp and half the clocks is better than one with half the ipc and twice the clocks. For the user, it won't really matter except for maybe power consumption.
I will choose the cpu with the best performance/$ and could care less if it comes in the form of ipc , clocks, and cores

Double the IPC and half the frequency provides the same performance but consumes less and generates less heat. The last metrics must be irrelevant for some desktop users, but they are completely relevant for others that prefer small and silent machines rather than noisy mammoths. And of course they are key metrics for mobile and servers.

Not everyone purchases the product with the best performance/price ratio. There are people that want or simply needs the best performance possible. There are other metrics also as performance/noise-size or performance/power.

Also it is not the same to give the same performance (throughout) with a chip that has six cores than with a chip that has eight cores. The former has higher performance per core, and will be better on cases where the code cannot use all the eight cores, and it will be also better on cases where the code can use all the eight cores, but there is some master thread.

So no. Not everything is the same.

Prices haven't decreased. Its just SKU replacement. And forget IPC changes in the Ryzen refresh on the rebranded 12LP. Its going to be all clock and just a question of how much or how little. Specially if they want to solve some of the big bugs that still plagues Zen and still goes unfixed without a plain silicon lottery.

i dare say that intel 8c will have a bit of price raise, though they'll just make 4cores i3, 6 cores i5 and 8 cores i7 and keep pricing similar. its intel they will think they can get away with it, and which they probably will even with a small raise in pricing.

http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-8700k-msi-z370-krait-benchmarks-overclocking-leaked/

6 cores 5.3 ghz put that in laptop and SET

you have access to some, not all of them. intel boards have access to so many it makes your head spin if you go in there trying to mess with them, i'm at work atm but on my ROG Z270 boards i think i have some 6-7 pages of ram timing settings in the bios on both of my boards.

I have no idea how many you have without seeing it, but it was a ton of sub timings. I used the Stilts guide to set my ram sub timings in it as it was several pages in the bios. All I know is by the time I was done my ram worked at 3200 speeds flawlessly yet failed with auto set. Double sided ram is a bit harder to get at higher speeds tho yet single sided can reach 3600 most times easily. At launch it was a mess tho and hard to get memory to work at high speeds. I am sure the next Ryzen chip they make will improve memory compatibility just like it did for Intel.

I have no idea how many you have without seeing it, but it was a ton of sub timings. I used the Stilts guide to set my ram sub timings in it as it was several pages in the bios. All I know is by the time I was done my ram worked at 3200 speeds flawlessly yet failed with auto set. Double sided ram is a bit harder to get at higher speeds tho yet single sided can reach 3600 most times easily. At launch it was a mess tho and hard to get memory to work at high speeds. I am sure the next Ryzen chip they make will improve memory compatibility just like it did for Intel.

Yeah they have come a long way, single rank dimms always clock higher that is just a normal ram thing. 3600 is a hard limit on ryzen though and only cpus with good quality IMCs can even do it so if yours can consider yourself lucky. Intel IMCs are limited by the motherboard more than anything that is why you see overclocking aimed motherboards that only have one DIMM per channel setups because minimizing trace lengths between the CPU IMC and the RAM is the only way to reliably run DDR4 past 3733-3800, highest clock i've managed personally was on my M9 Apex 1 stick of B-die and a 7600k cpu i managed 2303 mhz (4600 effective) that's really hard to do :)

if you want like 4ghz+ you're looking at Samsung B-Die but I don't think it'll make much difference

Does the Samsung RAM die matter at all for Intel? Should I be looking at B-Die kits?

for general use, esp gaming? no not really.

if your into overclocking comps definitely.

i have two kits my daily rig runs hynix AFR 3000 sticks, my bench rig has 4266 b-die sticks.

Last edited:
Does the Samsung RAM die matter at all for Intel? Should I be looking at B-Die kits?

B-Die are the best ones that I have seen for speeds, but it's not a huge deal. I have yet to see much gain past 3600 speeds Intel or AMD, latency becomes the bigger deal at that point for performance.

my research says without delidding / getting a really good cpu skl-x cpus generally will do 4.5-4.6 ghz easily. delidding 1151 is very trivial and cheap though, i've delidded a half dozen in the past year the tools to do it safely are cheap and its well worth the investment if your into overclocking.

You realize that something "new" comes out every year dont you? If you need Coffee Lake then go for it in a few weeks and worry about upgrading again in a few years instead of always waiting.

Exactly.

And then a ~year after Icelake, Tiger Lake comes. Maybe wait for that! But wait, a ~year after Tiger Lake, Sapphire Lake comes! :D

Always buy when you need/want. Not play the #foreverwaitgame.

4 cores was the hotness for a lot of years. 6 core cpus look to be the sweet spot for years to come.
Going 8 cores will most likely take a hit on frequency again as well, even with 10 nm.
Then there is the potential for added latency in staying with ring bus. Going mesh will add its own problems.

I can't see any buyers remorse getting the 6 core.

^ Plus the fact that Coffee Lake is 14nm++ and Ice Lake will still not be as mature 10nm technology, I personally tend to buy the last generation of respective manufacturing process as the process is most stable and improved, Ice Lake might have bigger power consumption leaks or heat issues or some errata bugs etc or poor overclocking so in that mind I'm personally not worried about Ice Lake coming pretty soon'ish if I'm picking up a 8700K.

I'm also worried if they change to mesh interconnect design also for mainstream 8 core which could be a plausibility, it would result in a slight IPC drop unless they improve the performance a lot which is hard to do these days with processing nodes shrinking to be so small.

I explained it many times. TR reviews always use good ram and the latest bios. What is so hard to comprehend?

AM4 supports stock RAM since the first minute. The problems were on overclocks. The only BIOS/AGESA version with latency optimizations was the 1.0.0.4. This version reduced access latency by about 6ns, which is a small amount compared to total latency on RyZen IMC and, unsurprisingly, reviews found that the new BIOS version improved performance by 0% when compared to the 1.0.0.2 version. Recent versions as 1.0.0.6 simply improved overclock stability and the ability to support higher speeds for memory.

The IPC of RyZen is the same now than at launch. And TR has the same IPC than RyZen.

Last edited:
You realize that something "new" comes out every year dont you? If you need Coffee Lake then go for it in a few weeks and worry about upgrading again in a few years instead of always waiting.
Ok since 3570k only ryzen or coffee lake has been "something new" enough for me to upgrade and Ryzen just is not for me. All the others have been pretty much the same thing for 4yrs just more clock speed and less OC headroom

Last edited:
1) He can read chinese

2) Google translate

3) Someone sends him these and he post/spreads them

Intel's answers to the Z370 "problem" make them sound ridiculous like we didn't already know it was a money grab. They wax eloquent about the new power delivery, but even VRM PWM controller manufacturer Richtek had the IMVP8 spec for CFL as late as May 2017 and not changing to IMVP9 until 10nm. New socket to support DDR4 2666? Funny, my "old" Z170 board supported DDR4 3200 without issues.

Back