Intel's 8th Generation Core Family - Coffee Lake (LGA 1151, 6C/12T)

Where do you expect Core i7-8700K's Turbo to land?

• 3.8/3.9 GHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.0/4.1 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.2/4.3 GHz

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 4.4/4.5 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.6/4.7 GHz

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I remember AMD demos and slides comparing RyZen to Broadwell-E... 8-core RyZen vs 8-core Broadwell... and SKL-X is the replacement for Broadwell-E. What happens is that SKL-X got AMD with pants down and had to release ThreadRipper in a last minute change, and still AMD slides AMD are comparing 16-core Threadripper to 10-core SKL-X.

Now Coffee Lake will fill the mainstream market and will kill RyZen, which is already moribund.

TBH I think its the exact opposite. It seems to me like Intel was the one rushing HEDT out. Ya Threadripper may be glued together but the i9s
That's hilarious. Have you seen the prices on X399 boards yet? They're just as expensive as X299 boards.

Ya but what are you getting with that x299? Neutered PCIE lanes and 6,8 and 10 core processors? I know down the road Intel will have higher core offering but at that 1500-2000 dollar premium we are used to. At least CFL will probably get the top tier board for 300 bucks...hopefully.

Reactions: kac77
like this
And there is only 7 x399 boards? While there is a huge amount of x299. Says a lot.

Somewhat disingenuous. Looks like most Mobo folks offer cut down versions of their X299 boards for the cut down Intel chips. You only need a single board design for all TR processors because AMD didn't gimp them. THAT, says a lot/

How many sockets and incompatibilities did AMD go through the last few years? Quite a few. The big money for a change of compatibility isn't in the hands of Intel or AMD. Its in the hands of mobo makers and OEMs. Assuming there isn't electrical reasons for it. Same reason you got so many rebranded graphics cards. Where did FM1, FM2, FM2+ upgrade to? Nowhere. AMD wont even talk about future VRM specs for newer Zen models. yet we know the VRM spec of TGL.

Its only the tiny DIY market that even consider same socket upgrades. And they are a niche within a niche. And with the mobile gaming massive growth, certain mobo makers are in big trouble because they missed the wave.

You're bullshitting us again. I've already called you out on this in another thread. AMD has had much better socket compatibility between generations compared to Intel. A Z370 requirement is a complete money grab by Intel. You yourself said Z370 was just a rebadged Z270 and Z390 was the real next gen chipset.

Very interesting. Was really disappointed by the low clocks of i9. I use mostly single threaded games so 8700k will be awesome

You're bullshitting us again. I've already called you out on this in another thread. AMD has had much better socket compatibility between generations compared to Intel. A Z370 requirement is a complete money grab by Intel. You yourself said Z370 was just a rebadged Z270 and Z390 was the real next gen chipset.

Soooo i'll jump in a bit, can you tell me to what can i upgrade my A8 3850 (FM1) to? I'll help you out here. If i want really really but really want to spend some money to feel good, i can go to an 3870K but it's not going to happen, as i've had it to ~3ghz (not sure if higher) from day one.

Bought it back in the day for a secondary system mainly because of the superior gpu and "further" upgrade path. The first part is still viable, the second not happened because FM2 and then FM2+ and well you get the idea. Yeah the money grab is real!

If you want a mostly guaranteed upgrade path you go with the HEDT platform that, historically, gets 2 gens on it, on the rest of the platforms you're taking a gamble and/or loosing some features.

Very interesting. Was really disappointed by the low clocks of i9. I use mostly single threaded games so 8700k will be awesome

Yea I'm pretty hyped for the 8700k after seeing the turbo clocks. 6 cores & 4.7ghz for a single thread out of the box? Take my money already! (funny thing is I learned about Coffee Lake earlier this year just when I was about to pick a 7700k)

Why buy freaking hexacore if play single-threaded games? Any modern i5-i7 will be already enough assuming you have one already. For a new build yeah, it's a no brainer.

Soooo i'll jump in a bit, can you tell me to what can i upgrade my A8 3850 (FM1) to? I'll help you out here. If i want really really but really want to spend some money to feel good, i can go to an 3870K but it's not going to happen, as i've had it to ~3ghz (not sure if higher) from day one.

Bought it back in the day for a secondary system mainly because of the superior gpu and "further" upgrade path. The first part is still viable, the second not happened because FM2 and then FM2+ and well you get the idea. Yeah the money grab is real!

If you want a mostly guaranteed upgrade path you go with the HEDT platform that, historically, gets 2 gens on it, on the rest of the platforms you're taking a gamble and/or loosing some features.

FM1 is the worst example. My point is that in the last 10 years Intel has had far more sockets than AMD for high end and mid range consumers. In fairness, at least you had options with FM1. The comparable Intel variants were soldered.

http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-cpu-not-compatible-200-series-motherboards/

Why would Intel do tihs? How many series 100-200 chipset owners were getting ready to purchase a coffeelake to replace their 2 year old CPUs, I was. I knew it was true good to be true.
I'd wager it's because they are bumping the core counts on their consumer CPUs for the first time in a decade, and they know they will rake in a lot of money. Especially if the 4c8t i3 rumor is true.

The amount of Z170/Z270 owners looking to upgrade to CFL is probably miniscule compared to the amount of people who don't care and are doing a fresh build. Consider everyone still running Sandy, Ivy, and Haswell, there are significantly more of them than Skylake/Kabylake owners, and they are more likely to upgrade. It's a shit move but Intel believes they're in a position to do it. Otherwise, buy Ryzen, send a message. Their financials from the last two quarters aren't showing any problems though.

The minority of Skylake/Kabylake owners will make a lot of noise.
Salty people who hate Intel will make a lot of noise.
There's going to be a lot of "This makes AMD more appealing."
But the CPUs will still fly off the shelves. Reality doesn't give a shit about internet memes.

This is all assuming the rumor is true, obviously.

Last edited:
I don't care about the need for a new chipset from a selfish standpoint, I don't have a 170 or 270 level system. but the rumor the 370 is just a 270 rebadge is appalling, let's hope that's not true, then it really does make it incredibly insulting.

[...] Plus it looks like HDMI 1.4? Does this mean no 4k, 10bit video at 4:4:4?
Looks like LSPCon again, for 390 as well, if this is accurate: https://videocardz.com/71660/intel-coffee-lake-architecture-brings-6-core-at-95w-tdp

...so motherboard partners could add the LSPCon for supported out of the box configs, or HTPC users can run an active DP dongle (good luck). Sort of surprising, since intel seems keen we take the integrated GPU seriously, at least for HTPC and mobile, if not for gaming.

I use that integrated GPU every single day, at home, work and on my laptop & HTPC. With 2 or 3 monitors and 30" ones at that. I like the thing, I just want it to be even better :/

With MadVR upscaling 1080p and below to 2160p, it takes all my 1060 6GB can give. I have no use for integrated graphics.
Problem is, legal 4K UHD BD playback seems to require the intel graphics.
That said, my guess is there will still be extremely limited options of motherboards that check all the boxes required for UHD disc playback on this new series of chipsets.
Really, really infuriating, and no solution in sight.
Cmon RedFox.

FM1 is the worst example. My point is that in the last 10 years Intel has had far more sockets than AMD for high end and mid range consumers.

In the last 10 years AMD has not been relevant in the high end space, not even close. We could argue even about the the mid range but that's for another time. And of course Intel would have more sockets providing more options to customers. You can see this diversification of portfolio in every industry.

In fairness, at least you had options with FM1. The comparable Intel variants were soldered.

Really, what options? I've got a bridge to sell to you!
And no the comparable Intel options where not soldered (to the motherboard).

Maybe c236 will be forward compatible with the upcoming Xeon CFL... LOL

Last edited:

AMDs last socket compatibility that even required new boards due to changed VRM specs was AM3. All the AM1, FM1, FM2, FM2+ owners for example got nowhere to upgrade.

Last edited:
AMDs last socket compatibility that even required new boards due to changed VRM specs was AM3. All the AM1, FM1, FM2, FM2+ owners for example got nowhere to upgrade.

In fairness, Intel's competition with most of those "nowhere to upgrade" sockets was BGA soldered chips. At least you could swap in different parts. What about your claim that Z270 was rebadged as Z370? Even you, almighty Shintai, has to see the money grab here. You can argue all you want about how small of a market the Z170/Z270 crowd is looking to upgrade, so why not let them have an upgrade?

In fairness, Intel's competition with most of those "nowhere to upgrade" sockets was BGA soldered chips. At least you could swap in different parts.

What BGA soldered parts are you talking about that AMDs desktop APUs competed against?

Last time I checked it was all socket LGA115x parts.

And FS1, FS1+, FP2, FP3, FP4 and soon FP5 is all soldered BGA chips if you want to play the mobile card.

Are you still going to avoid answering the million dollar question about Z270 and Z370? Of course you are because even you admit your parent company is screwing the consumer for no good reason.

Are you still going to avoid answering the million dollar question about Z270 and Z370? Of course you are because even you admit your parent company is screwing the consumer for no good reason.

Why dont you tell us what those BGA chips was that competed against AMDs FM lines? It cant be that hard unless you are just full of BS :)

Or did AMD just "screw" its customers on those sockets? Or was it the OEMs or mobo makers? Its not always to clear cut as you want it to be.

Why dont you tell us what those BGA chips was that competed against AMDs FM lines? It cant be that hard unless you are just full of BS :)

Or did AMD just "screw" its customers on those sockets? Or was it the OEMs or mobo makers?

All of the Braswell chips vs. AM1, Broadwell-H vs. FM lines? Off the top of my head anyway.

Now about your parent company screwing us... Z270 vs. Z370? Are you going to answer that or are you just going to ignore the question for the 3rd time.

All of the Braswell chips vs. AM1, Broadwell-H vs. FM lines? Off the top of my head anyway

H chips are mobile. So as expected you tried to cross compare mobile to desktop to get your blatant lie to be true. The competing part for Broadwell-H was FP3 that's soldered.

And take a wild guess on what FT1, FT3 and FT3B is.

H chips are mobile. So as expected you tried to cross compare mobile to desktop to get your lie to seem true. The competing part for Broadwell-H was FP3 that's soldered.

Whats the next thing you want to try and lie about?

They were used in All-in-ones and ITX boards which are not mobile.

4th time you avoided the Z270/Z370 question...

Just admit that there's no good reason for Intel to force the chipset upgrade on us and I won't tell your Intel overlords you were too unhelpful when they come to whip you in your cubicle.

They were used in All-in-ones and ITX boards which are not mobile

Broadwell-H in ITX boards? Sure you dont mean Broadwell-S that was a LGA1150 part. And AIO setups? Haha. Oh common, just admit you lied big time to try and promote your FUD :D

And a little warning, if you start showing up soldered industrial boards to support your lies I can show you just as many with AMD.

FM2+ aka Kaveri was competing against Haswell-S/Broadwell-S on LGA1150.

And look who earns the most on it. Is it Intel or AMD with a 20-30$ whole sale chipset? Or is it companies like Asus with a 200-300$ retail board? Or is it an OEM with a new system ;)

Now you may learn that multiple companies each got their own saying in it. And why you are screwed just as much on an AMD platform.

Last edited:
We know for a fact that CFL supports IMVP8 so it can work with 100 and 200 series chipsets. And that Z370 is a rebranded Z270 with zero changes.

Here you go...I'm helping you out from your previous posts.

Here you go...I'm helping you out from your previous posts.

Yes I already answered it. But you kept trying as an attempt to move the focus from your lies and BS claims. Where are all those soldered desktop parts competing against FM series? :D

5th time you've avoided the z270/z370 question. All of us here who know you're an Intel shill already know there is no good reason. Just admit it to us.

Out of arguments? ;)

Yes I already answered it. But you kept trying as an attempt to move the focus from your lies and BS claims. Where are all those soldered desktop parts competing against FM series? :D

Out of arguments? ;)

6th time. Just saying no matter how many times you try to get off track by attacking something other than the issue, you still can't give me a good reason why your Intel masters won't allow coffee lake on a compatible chipset.

7th time...hitting the "report" button and getting me another warning for questioning you to my inbox isn't answering the question of why won't Intel won't allow coffee lake on z270.

Already told you guys, confirmed with Gigabyte two months ago it would be 300-series only. That doesn't mean Intel might not change its plans, but it's better to expect the worst outcome and be surprised later. Example, I believe CFL-S Core i5 was originally intended to be 4C/8T, they bumped to 6C/6T later on. Same could have happened with Core i3 (4C/4T -> 4C/8T?), but I can't confirm this one yet.

So Z370 is literally Z270 with a 3 instead of a 2 and potentially a different bios version. Amazing Intel, just amazing.

Back