Intel X25-M [H]ot!! X25-M Gen 2 - $214.99 for 80gb, $414.99 for 160gb @ Newegg!

I just bit, I swore I was going to wait until after the holidays but dayum! I won't install it until a proper TRIM update, however. Thanks for the code!

This is a great price on the 80GB. Can't wait to see the prices for these on Black Friday and during the Christmas rush.

I was looking to buy a 160GB these past few weeks and they were pretty much out of stock everywhere I looked. The only places that had it in stock ridiculously gouged the price ($600+). I was about to look at OCZ's offering, but for $415, this is absolutely a smoking deal!

I was hoping to grab a 3rd 80GB from this deal, but I was working and completely missed it. oh well, im getting antsy waiting for the $129 80GB X25-m that Intel/Retailedge is offering in a couple weeks. I think 3 of these in RAID 0 on a ICH10R is about the controllers max GB/ps anyways..

Im currently in with 2 80GB G2's @ $455 ($215+$240)

The 160GB is a great deal too, just cost too much to boost performance at $400+ a pop.

I have a feeling that suddenly one day the prices for these SSD's are going to drop to crazy low and there will go my window of decent resale value for them.. Im hoping to get a good 6 months out of the drives before the drastic price drops occur.

I was hoping to grab a 3rd 80GB from this deal, but I was working and completely missed it. oh well, im getting antsy waiting for the $129 80GB X25-m that Intel/Retailedge is offering in a couple weeks. I think 3 of these in RAID 0 on a ICH10R is about the controllers max GB/ps anyways..

The 160GB is a great deal too, just cost too much to boost performance at $400+ a pop.

I have a feeling that suddenly one day the prices for these SSD's are going to drop to crazy low and there will go my window of decent resale value for them.. Im hoping to get a good 6 months out of the drives before the drastic price drops occur.

Everyone talks about price drops, but I'm not so sure. For every $X in price drop, you're going to generate 10X more interest and demand.

"Hey did you hear SSDs are coming down in price? No? Let's buy some!!"

But, maybe I'm wrong. I'm no economist.

I am not quite sure how you figured out that the 160GB version is a lesser deal than the 80GB when you spent the money for two of them. :confused:

Call them? :)

I tried to get it applied to my order via chat, and aparently...

This x25 (what i ordered..)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167005

Is different then this one (what OP Posted...)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167016&cm_re=x25-m-_-20-167-016-_-Product

And i got denied the promo, I guess it has to do with this version G1 and G2...

Im now looking at the differences, and they seem drastic but not too much. Info about the differences i found here
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631&p=11
Damn, oh well i guess i bought an older drive?

I am not quite sure how you figured out that the 160GB version is a lesser deal than the 80GB when you spent the money for two of them. :confused:

Mainly due to performance. Im pulling a sustained (avg)515MBps read and a sustained (avg)150MBps write with the 2 in RAID0. It would cost about $850 to equal/beat that performance with the 160GB's

EDIT: Also what I was actually referring to is boosting performance from 1 SSD to a 2nd.. Of course some people will prefer TRIM with a single 160GB and others would prefer RAID0 performance without TRIM with 2 80GB's.. Not saying the 160GB is a lesser value.. just that it cost a lot more to improve performance after owning 1.

Everyone talks about price drops, but I'm not so sure. For every $X in price drop, you're going to generate 10X more interest and demand.

I agree as well, nobody knows but to me it appears that because EVERYONE wants a SSD the majority of storage manufactures are perfecting the technology that will bring them down in price and at the same time the sizes will increase.. just the same way platters have.. it will happen.. when is the question. There is so much competition and I do not believe price fixing will occur with the different manufactures, which should bring down the prices. I do believe the Intel drive will always command a premium... because it's Intel.

Wait its going to be $129 somewhere?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1466043&highlight=big+deal
It pays to work Electronics Retail :)

Last edited:
damn

Grand Total: $449.23

for me if i bite.......... i wanted an 80 grr missed it

Mainly due to performance. Im pulling a sustained (avg)515MBps read and a sustained (avg)150MBps write with the 2 in RAID0. It would cost about $850 to equal/beat that performance with the 160GB's

EDIT: Also what I was actually referring to is boosting performance from 1 SSD to a 2nd.. Of course some people will prefer TRIM with a single 160GB and others would prefer RAID0 performance without TRIM with 2 80GB's.. Not saying the 160GB is a lesser value.. just that it cost a lot more to improve performance after owning 1.

That makes sense if you are looking for that type of performance. I assume from what you said that TRIM isn't supported RAID. I thought I read that somewhere too, but I can't find that article anymore. Do you have any data for 4KB random read and write with 2 SSDs in RAID 0?

That's true. They can't keep up with the demand at the current prices (look at the 80 GB link now, or check out either one on Amazon - excluding the price gouging 3rd party resellers there). See how the Wii was overpriced but even when the price was cut it was a small fraction, that it's still overpriced? If there's demand prices won't crash.

I tried to get it applied to my order via chat, and aparently...

This x25 (what i ordered..)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167005

Is different then this one (what OP Posted...)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167016&cm_re=x25-m-_-20-167-016-_-Product

And i got denied the promo, I guess it has to do with this version G1 and G2...

Im now looking at the differences, and they seem drastic but not too much. Info about the differences i found here
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631&p=11
Damn, oh well i guess i bought an older drive?

Yeah, they are different drives :( Gen1 vs. Gen2. You may have talked them into pricematching it to the Gen2 after-coupon price, but I'm not surprised they declined to take the full coupon off in that case unfortunately :(.

That makes sense if you are looking for that type of performance. I assume from what you said that TRIM isn't supported RAID. I thought I read that somewhere too, but I can't find that article anymore. Do you have any data for 4KB random read and write with 2 SSDs in RAID 0?

I have written to 100% of my array(multiple times), so I will run some benchmarks to see and post back.

The article can be found here:
http://download.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/434471_intel_ssd_optimizer_white_paper.pdf

Q3 Can I use the Intel® SSD Optimizer if I have multiple Intel SSDs configured as part of a RAID set?
A3 Current implementation of the Intel® SSD Toolbox will not support SSDs configured as part of an OS RAID set. Intel is looking at including support in future versions of the tool.

Just an FYI..

I got an email earlier saying the Drive has shipped.

I am expecting to receive it tomorrow. Pretty damn excited to receive it..

Also small question...

Whats the going rate of a 150gb Sata Raptor?

Ah, I hate you guys. I just grabbed the 160GB, such a good deal. Looks like I'm eating noodles and ketchup for awhile :p.

Thx guys... Just bought my second one... ugh... could of bought a gaming laptop for the same price.. but I'm addicted to the speed!!!

This is with 40 days of use, have had the array 100% full several times and currently have 39.8 GB of free space on C. I have done just about everything you should not do to an SSD, such as download torrents to it.. the drives have been written to pretty well. I did not however take a before SS so I can't compare what "new" performance would be. I plan to run HDDErase 3.3 on them once every 6 months or so to keep em fresh, until Intel releases TRIM for RAID.

fullcdm1000.jpg

Intel i7 920@ 3.64ghz, 3x2GB RAM @ 1532mhz 7-7-7-24 1T

I am really confused about the performance boost here. For sequential read and write, your performances are way above what a single SSD can do, but when it comes to 4k random write and read, they are way below a single 160GB SSD. I don't think it's a good trade off specially when the the sequential speed on a single drive is already way way fast.

randomwrite.png

randomread.png

I got one 160gb from this deal and it's been used! The Intel SSD Toolbox reports 150gb written on it! By comparison, I've been using almost 24x7 another 160gb in my notebook close to 2 months and it reports only 380gb written (admittedly, I do avoid writing to large files to it and it's running under Windows 7 optimized for SSDs). What's up with that? The box was sealed with regular adhesive tape and I suspect it's a return or something.

Will we see a sub $400 160Gb at black friday?

Or am I just dreaming?

I think you are dreaming, because Black Friday deals typically are not current
hot-sellers, they are typically stuff that the vendors have lots of that are not selling
well any more, like 720p televisions and such.

Last edited:
I got one 160gb from this deal and it's been used! The Intel SSD Toolbox reports 150gb written on it! By comparison, I've been using almost 24x7 another 160gb in my notebook close to 2 months and it reports only 380gb written (admittedly, I do avoid writing to large files to it and it's running under Windows 7 optimized for SSDs). What's up with that? The box was sealed with regular adhesive tape and I suspect it's a return or something.

i received mine yesterday and found it a bit odd that the package was sent from "RMA Warehouse"

i don't have the drive installed yet to see if it has actually been used, but i would not be surprised.

Could it be one of the drives that shipped with that problematic firmware that bricked SSD with a bios password? They were back ordered for a while until Intel released a proper firmware.

Also, I just realize that the MSRP of these drives were respectively $225 and $440 for the 80GB and 160GB at launch. I guess it's still a pretty good deal, but I sincerely hope the retailers dispensed some form of lube for anyone buying those drives for $290+ or $550+ as they go on the market. :D

Had it in my cart, looking for other pieces to round out my new rig and *poof*. Guess I didn't realize how good this deal was.

"Settled" for the OCZ Agility 120 GB. Looks pretty solid from the reviews; I just had to bite on some SSD after the frenzy.

Will anyone be running this on an AMD SB750? Let me know. I'm a little apprehensive about issues on this southbridge.

I am really confused about the performance boost here. For sequential read and write, your performances are way above what a single SSD can do, but when it comes to 4k random write and read, they are way below a single 160GB SSD. I don't think it's a good trade off specially when the the sequential speed on a single drive is already way way fast.

randomwrite.png

randomread.png

I think most reviews do recommended a single 160GB over a RAID0 80GB array, but personally I want everything to install as fast as possible which is where adding a 3rd 80GB is going help improve Seq Write further still. But yeah, a single G2 160GB with the latest firmware appears to outshine the rest in Random 4KB Read/Writes

I reran the benchmark using a 50mb test and had higher random writes.. reads dont budge from 23mbs though.

fullcdm501000.jpg

I thought RAID w/ SSDs currently meant no TRIM...

How is your PC going to perform 3 months from now?

So what's the consensus on the current firmware? Use the drive as is and wait for an update from Intel or install the previously released firmware (and patch? Did I read that correctly?) and hope for the best? Mine's out for delivery today, but I probably won't get to install it until this coming Wednesday :(.

Back