Intel X25-M [H]ot!! X25-M Gen 2 - $214.99 for 80gb, $414.99 for 160gb @ Newegg!

Where did you get your information that this is done?

Logical conclusion: I mean, did you see what numbers people are reporting: 142 for 160gb drives and 75 for 80gb ones. If the drives were used they wouldn't show the same level of use :) I mean it's possible but statistically improbable, even with such a small sample. So I'm about 99% sure that these drives are, in fact, new and factory-tested :)

Mine came with no box (just a newegg shipping box with some packing paper) or documentation. It was just a bare drive in an electrostatic bag with the generic orange sticker. I haven't checked the SMART info yet.

Logical conclusion: I mean, did you see what numbers people are reporting: 142 for 160gb drives and 75 for 80gb ones. If the drives were used they wouldn't show the same level of use :) I mean it's possible but statistically improbable, even with such a small sample. So I'm about 99% sure that these drives are, in fact, new and factory-tested :)
Seems reasonable, nice logical thinking :)

Is there a problem with the previous firmware if one flashes the firmware on to the drive, then installs an operating system to it? It seems like the only issues causing the drives to brick were the system restore points being corrupted (I don't use system restore, so I could care) on drives that were flashed but already had Win 7 loaded on to them. I'd like to get the TRIM support going, but want to make sure I don't brick it :p.

Seems reasonable, nice logical thinking :)

Is there a problem with the previous firmware if one flashes the firmware on to the drive, then installs an operating system to it? It seems like the only issues causing the drives to brick were the system restore points being corrupted (I don't use system restore, so I could care) on drives that were flashed but already had Win 7 loaded on to them. I'd like to get the TRIM support going, but want to make sure I don't brick it :p.

Yeah, I'd liek the asnwer to this question, too. My understanding is that if you don't yet have Windows on it, you probably will not brick it?

I'm still trying to get ahold of the new firmware, can someone pm me a link or let me know you have it and I'll give you my email? Thanks.

You can still brick it with a new drive, I've read at least one report on Intel forums this happening to someone. You might be OK flashing it but why hurry? It's not like the drive will magically become 10x faster in all respects. Intel supposedly will issue a new, fixed firmware in a week or so.

You can still brick it with a new drive, I've read at least one report on Intel forums this happening to someone. You might be OK flashing it but why hurry? It's not like the drive will magically become 10x faster in all respects. Intel supposedly will issue a new, fixed firmware in a week or so.
If by all accounts it's only a week or so, then that's no problem. I'm assuming that once the new firmware is out, one can simply run TRIM and bring the drive right back up to speed? There's no permanent loss using the drive without the new firmware with TRIM, correct?

Well, as you saw, the 160 that I got from a previous batch had the same 142GB, so I think
that you are closer to 100% dead-on with this.

Mine came with no box (just a newegg shipping box with some packing paper) or documentation. It was just a bare drive in an electrostatic bag with the generic orange sticker. I haven't checked the SMART info yet.

Was this "no box" item an 80GB or a 160GB? Someone else posted that they received theirs the same way, was it 80GB or 160GB?

This variation in packaging (some with brown box, some without) bothers me a lot, however. I purchased the same exact Newegg part number in August as a "retail" drive, but it was in the brown box and clearly stated 3 year warranty. These were sold as "OEM" and the 160's at least said 1 year warranty.

I believe the warranty issue to be moot, since INTEL lists 3 year warranty period.

However, all 80GB shipping this week and all 160GB shipped this week (to me) should be shipped the same way, static bag only, brown box, or retail (which these are not). Would anyone agree with this, or should Newegg have the right to just ship whatever the heck they have on hand helter-skelter?

Well, Newegg pictures of both sizes show the brown box.

Please don't misunderstand, it isn't that anyone needs the damned
packaging! I simply think that people need to be shipped an item as
it is expected.

The proper description of a drive in nothing but a static bag (to me) would
be "bulk" meaning that the vendor receives a bunch of them packed in one
box.

These drives are almost indestructable... they can really take a beating. I dont think we will need to worry about it as much as traditional drives.

Just got my SSD in today. It came with the brown box, delivered in an envelop by UPS, The drive also came from their RMA warehouse, but seems to be sealed properly in a static bag.

What kind of program do you guys use to check the history of the drive?

Back