• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Intel stock cooler...

jmartis

n00b
Joined
Aug 9, 2008
Messages
60
So i'm getting my e7200 with the stock cooler,should I be afraid of ANY overheating problems or does it work just fine with no OC, or maybe a light oc?

Another question the sink just clips into the MB as it is, no thermal paste required? Or i won't harm anything by putting on a bit of thermal paste?

I heard the Core 2 heatspreaders have bulging problems (so the middle is bulged=better ok or depressed=bad), shouold i be concerned about this?
 
The stock HSF that comes with the E7200 is good enough for stock speeds, provided that you have a decent airflow setup. But it won't be good enough for even a light OC. In addition, the thermal paste is already pre-applied on the HSF. So no worries about the thermal paste.

Haven't heard of any "bulging" problems with C2D CPUs.
 
Turn off EIST (speedstep) and CiE in the bios and thus force the fan to 100% speed and you can get a decent OC if you dont mind the noise.

The heatsink uses 4 push pins that "snap" into holes in the board. Dont mess with the pins they should already be in the install position. Lay the heatsink down with the pins lining up in the holes and press/push hard down on one pin till it clicks. THEN DO THE OPPOSITE PIN. Then a third. The ;ast pin typically is very hard to press home. I put a thumb over a thumb and press until it hurts.

Intall the heatsink with the board out of the case and the board laying on a folded towel. You can then flip the board over before installing and check all 4 pins are equally through the board etc. The heatsink should be as hard as a rock when installed with absolutely no wiggle or loose movement.

Go ahead and put your memory in and then install the board being carefull when setting/sliding it into place you do not rake the bottom of the board against the standoffs.
 
I use the stock HSF on my Q9450 @ 3.2GHz (stock Vcore) and my temps under load are fine. My installation procedure is a little different from BillParrish. I also install the HSF outside the case. I build up about 3/8 inches of cardboard as a standoff. I leave the area under the holes for the HSF open. You need to do this or the push pins will break against the hard surface under them. Then I push two pins (diagonally opposed) down at once. Think of an X. Once you have pressed them all down, flip the MB over and make sure all the pins are actually seated properly.
 
If you're going to do any overclocking then get a decent heatsink. I haven't seen the heatsinks that come with those processors but I'm not impressed with stock Intel heatsinks. Now, if you were able to get hold of a Q6600 stock heatsink it might be a different story. When I sold my E6400 I gave the person one of my Q6600 heatsinks to go with it. The Q6600 heatsink was a bit larger with a larger fan than the stock heatsink which came with my E6400. Other than that the heatsinks were mostly the same.

 
Yea the stock q6600 heastsink is not only larger but comes with a copper base, at least in comparison to the stock one that came with my e8400
 
My decision to keep the stock HSF was binary. Will it keep Tcase <65C under load or not? For my Q9450 @ 3.2GHz it did. In fact, it only briefly hit 63C in Prime95. So great, I'll spend my money elsewhere. Plus, I like the fact the air is forced down over the MB, thus cooling my NB and mem. Also it's very quite.

The Intel FCLGA4-S was probably the best HSF they ever offered in a retail box. It uses vapor chamber technology, copper base, low profile, etc.
 
Yea the stock q6600 heastsink is not only larger but comes with a copper base, at least in comparison to the stock one that came with my e8400

Actually, the heatsink which came with my E6400 has a copper base as well. The only differences between it and the Q6600 heatsink was the fins and the fan. Otherwise they are identical.

 
The older E6xxx HSFs are the same as the Q6600's - they changed the design of the dual-core HSF relatively recently. I only point this out for someone who might come across an older E6xxx HSF.

I agree with Bill's approach - one at a time and diagonal.

It's a really good idea to put the HSF on with the MB out of the case. It is way easier - you can get your fingers/thumbs close to the HSF pins without interference with lots of other stuff. I recently upgraded the HSF in one computer and it was a royal pain to get the thing in with all the other bits (especially memory) in the way. Compared to that, the last HSF I put on another MB out of the case was a snap.

I don't lay the MB on a surface to push the pins in. I hold the MB vertically in my hands with one edge on a table. Then I get one hand on either side of the MB. I make sure the white bits of the attachment are firmly into the hole before pushing the black part in. The two hands push against each other providing support for the MB close to the hole - no bending of the MB. The second, diagonally opposite pin is the trickiest IMHO. Ditto getting the white plastic bits through first and this requires pushing the metal frame of the HSF down along with the white bit. Then push the black pin in. The remaining two are easier - doing the diagonal pair flattens the HSF, more or less, placing the remaining two close to the MB.
 
The older E6xxx HSFs are the same as the Q6600's - they changed the design of the dual-core HSF relatively recently. I only point this out for someone who might come across an older E6xxx HSF.

Incorrect. The stock heatsink with my E6400 is different from the stock heatsink with the Q6600. As I said, there is a difference in the fins in which the Q6600 heatsink has more surface area and the fan on the Q6600 heatsink is larger. I remember looking at them when I was going to give a friend the Q6600 heatsink. I thought it was rather weird that the heatsinks were practically identical until I took a closer look.

Then again, when it was winter and it was really cold in my apartment, I was able to overclock the E6400 to 3.2Ghz and still keep the temps around 60C. Luckily I got a new waterblock before it started heating up so I could pull the stock heatsink.

 
I have an E7200 running with the stock Intel heatsink. Its OK. I have had it running on 1.25v at 3.53GHz, but the temperatures have hit 84*C ( 185*F) !!!! So, I just keep it running at 2.9 to 3.0 GHz on the stock 1.15v and its fine. This is also in a house that I keep at 79*F ambient, which is much warmer than most people.

Its fine, but nothing special.
 
anyone know a round about number for an OC u could get with a q6600 hsf on the q6600 with decent air flow....I'm at 39-42 idle, 52-54 load at 2.7 currently
 
anyone know a round about number for an OC u could get with a q6600 hsf on the q6600 with decent air flow....I'm at 39-42 idle, 52-54 load at 2.7 currently

Still got room for 3Ghz. Max recommended temperature is 60C to 65C.
 
ya that what im thinking, however i need to keep the room temp nice and cool inorder to keep it at that, in prime 95 im in the 60-65 range at all at 100% max. I probably need to reset the HSF with some as5, its kinda slopped on there right now.
 
2.72ghz now, still holding at around 61 in prime95. I know prime 95 and orthos and stuff are what people use to determine true stability, but during game play, like an hour of mass affect, my temps never peak higher than mid 50's.
 
Back
Top