Intel Retail Edge "Summer Deal" 2014

So this is only for retail (ie frontline salesmen)? I'm on that list of companies, but I work as a programmer in the office. It's kind of curious as to why they're offering this to retail employees only when those will be the most likely ones to turn around and sell it for 2-3x as much. This seems like a silly move on their part.

Intel seems to believe that if they can indoctrinate you into believing they are superior, then you will always recommend Intel. Not so sure it works. Most customers would try out our store models and tell me that the AMD ones seem to be fast enough. In the end, most customers (around here, tons of Asian and Indian born) care more about price than anything and no recommendation will sway them from that principle.

Anyone else stuck on roadie? I've gotten 25,000 points in the last 6 months but its not making me a producer.

xxCsnxN.png

Good Point^.

I heard that Intel is implementing that policy to prevent people creating multiple new accounts=aka reselling those chips.

Only issue is someone forgot to change the the wording in the boxes, to
"complete at least 1 of the following tasks, while being an active member for at least 3 cons. months"

As of right now the wording is confusing, since it says complete one of the following, and the last one is the one most would try to breeze thru.

So this is only for retail (ie frontline salesmen)? I'm on that list of companies, but I work as a programmer in the office. It's kind of curious as to why they're offering this to retail employees only when those will be the most likely ones to turn around and sell it for 2-3x as much. This seems like a silly move on their part. Well I'm not that bitter, I already have a 4770k and I know retail pay probably isn't too hot.

Well someone posted a screenshot, thats says you can select other...you could try that, but accordingly you wont be able to participate until the winter due to the 6 month rule

Good Point^.

I heard that Intel is implementing that policy to prevent people creating multiple new accounts=aka reselling those chips.

Only issue is someone forgot to change the the wording in the boxes, to
"complete at least 1 of the following tasks, while being an active member for at least 3 cons. months"

As of right now the wording is confusing, since it says complete one of the following, and the last one is the one most would try to breeze thru.

I think the wording is intentional and his account just hasn't flipped over to the eligible status yet. I know that it took a minute for mine to recognize the qualifying progress. It says "at least one" of those three criteria and he is good on the points by their calculations.

Mine worked just fine. You have to do one item on the list. In my case it was do 50 trainings...

ok, that is awesome. I was worried I wouldn't be able to participate in this one. Time to get to earning enough points once my account gets re-verified.

So what happened to all of the 1000 and 2000 point classes? Seems like everything is now worth only 500 points. Geezch.

So what happened to all of the 1000 and 2000 point classes? Seems like everything is now worth only 500 points. Geezch.

If you haven't done the certifications do those, its only about 300 per lesson, but I just click to the end and take the quiz, they are common sense if you know computers and then you just take the certification at the end which gives you 4000 points.

I have to say that doing the certification courses are much faster than doing 50 trainings...

Both my wifes account and mine are ready to go!

LOL Those certs are a joke.

SSDs have a lower total cost of ownership.......... According to Intel......... Really? On what fucking planet? Yeah, lower cost of ownership if you dont figure in initial cost. But isnt cost involved in ownership?

Oh, and according to Intel, SSD have lower cost per MB than HDD's. I must not have seen the extreme price drop on Intel SSDs.

SSDs have a lower total cost of ownership.......... According to Intel......... Really? On what fucking planet? Yeah, lower cost of ownership if you dont figure in initial cost. But isnt cost involved in ownership?

Oh, and according to Intel, SSD have lower cost per MB than HDD's. I must not have seen the extreme price drop on Intel SSDs.

Not saying you are wrong, but for the business sector you can save a TON of time overall with an ssd. And in architectural firms, CAD businesses, and media creating professionals time = money in a big way. Some of these sectors get paid well over $100/hr so if it takes 2mins to do something that used to take 10mins, extrapolated several times a month/year you can easily reach the cost of an SSD.

The $/MB thing is silly though.

Business sector haha... I understand your point completely but how many business incorporate SSD's into their computers? Hell, there are still a large portion of business' running XP. Too cheap to upgrade their systems, I highly doubt money will be spent on an expensive SSD for every computer.

I guess technically you are correct but the market share they are attempting to focus on is probably smaller than our overclocking community.

If you haven't done the certifications do those, its only about 300 per lesson, but I just click to the end and take the quiz, they are common sense if you know computers and then you just take the certification at the end which gives you 4000 points.

I must be blind, where are the certifications? Ive tried a few courses and they only give me the 300 points.

Pretty easy to knock out in a few hrs. Dont forget the 2k points for logging in via the mobile app. Do the first 2 certs and then all the NEW learning vids.

I must be blind, where are the certifications? Ive tried a few courses and they only give me the 300 points.

After the first set of intro certs, there is a 4k cert in the advanced training. You must complete the first course though.

After the first set of intro certs, there is a 4k cert in the advanced training. You must complete the first course though.

Finally found it thanks. I now have 3 useless certs and 30k points but still a Roadie, hopefully its just an update delay.

You need 25,000 points within the last 6 months. I have almost 35,000 total points, but only 25,000 in the last 6 months.

You need 25,000 points within the last 6 months. I have almost 35,000 total points, but only 25,000 in the last 6 months.

Right..I got 30k points today while getting all 3 certifications but still a Roadie.

I dont know, wait a day. If you read through the thread, a few others had the same issue and it seems to fix itself. If it does not, email them and they will correct it I am sure.

Just hit producer at 50 courses. There is still a lot I havent done so I could hit 100 but i dont know if its worth it to do another 50 courses for $15

Just hit producer at 50 courses. There is still a lot I havent done so I could hit 100 but i dont know if its worth it to do another 50 courses for $15

$15 isn't worth two more hours of my time.

So this is only for retail (ie frontline salesmen)? I'm on that list of companies, but I work as a programmer in the office. It's kind of curious as to why they're offering this to retail employees only when those will be the most likely ones to turn around and sell it for 2-3x as much. This seems like a silly move on their part. Well I'm not that bitter, I already have a 4770k and I know retail pay probably isn't too hot.

Like you said, this is only for frontline salesman. Think of it as a form of incentive that has a potentially high value for the employee (I don't even think this is taxable), but doesn't cost as much for Intel. Intel's decision is whether they pay cash or offer a discount as incentives for a sales associate to take the training. I doubt they ever debated whether to provide this incentive to sales person vs. Programmer.

I am sure Intel doesn't really care about the employees flipping them for 2-3x. On the other hand, what does Intel get out of offering a programmer 4770k for cheap?

Well I got the other 50 done. I did it by course # instead of chips so I completed 100 coures and am now a rockstar. ALSO!!! dont forget to go to the summer deal page and look at the bottom because there are specific learnings you MUST complete in order to purchase a CPU as well as having at least producer status

Last edited:

Well I got the other 50 done. I did it by course # instead of chips so I completed 100 coures and am now a rockstar. ALSO!!! dont forget to go to the summer deal page and look at the bottom because there are specific learnings you MUST complete in order to purchase a CPU as well as having at least producer status

It looks like 2 hours was worth $15 :D I do them as they come each month while watching a movie or something. I have times when I am bored enough to do them thus making the savings worth it.

Update for anyone trying to get producer status, seems to take about 24 hours for it to register. Got my 30k yesterday and this morning it had finally flipped over to Producer from Roadie.

Update for anyone trying to get producer status, seems to take about 24 hours for it to register. Got my 30k yesterday and this morning it had finally flipped over to Producer from Roadie.

I wonder if their server has been overloaded.

Once I hit 25k chips, it bumped me to producer immediately.

Not worth my time to watch a bunch more marketing material in order to save another $15.

There were a few different training materials that have to do with the 4th gen processors that contradict each other as well.

Try verifying with a company email. Does not hurt to try.

It is a sales people oriented program, but I really doubt that they are going to do anything negative if you are not a salesperson.

Verification just requires a current paystub image with appropriate information (bank account number, etc) blacked out.

And as another person said, a company email also works for verification.

The terms say it will be shipped within 6 weeks, anyone thats gotten one of these deals before, does it actually take that long? Trying to decide when to put my old parts up for sale.

Took about 3-4 weeks for shipment last retail edge, but I also ordered late.

They do have lower cost of ownership if you think about it.

1. Less electricity used
2. Less heat produced (less electricity used to cool your room/house/whatever)

Both of these help, but number 1 helps especially if you are using a laptop. Time between charges will go up significantly.

Also, cost of ownership does not include purchase price. It never has. Cost of ownership is any cost incurred after purchase.

As for cost less per MB than HDDs.. They didn't say that at all. I know exactly which course you are talking about because I took it as well.

Also, cost of ownership does not include purchase price. It never has. Cost of ownership is any cost incurred after purchase.

Cost of Ownership, as far as I know, includes purchase price.

You might believe that Cost of Ownership does not include purchase price because many vehicle Cost of Ownership calculators do not outline an item that says "Purchase Price" (e.g. Edmunds, Kelley). In fact, the purchase price is buried under the item "Depreciation" in these calculators. It's often assumed that you would buy then sell a vehicle over a 5 year period, thus deprecation is the difference between the purchase and sale price.

It seems like Intel did not count deprecation in their Cost of Ownership calculation. Or, maybe the electricity saving is high enough in a datacenter environment to offset the high initial purchase price?

So when exactly does the deal go live? anybody know? It says this afternoon.. but what time zone is that?

They don't give a time. You have to just refresh all afternoon. Refresh like every 15 minutes after 2pm eastern

It already says the 4770k is sold out, but i still can't find the order page for the 4930k...

It already says the 4770k is sold out, but i still can't find the order page for the 4930k...

i think that's wrong. (i'm hoping that's wrong)

for the past 2 years, the deal usually isn't available until around 3-5pm cst

Back