Intel Retail Edge 2006!

I was told by an Intel rep today that they will provide us a link for download once Vista comes out.

First of all, it's Vista Ultimate that we'll be getting. Second, you don't have to register but you'll have to activate.

Whoops I meant ultimate. But in activating it, does it also register your current hardware like XP? Like I mentioned earlier, I upgrade often, so swapping in and out parts isn't going to play nice with microsofts EULA. Anyone with thoughts on this?

Whoops I meant ultimate. But in activating it, does it also register your current hardware like XP? Like I mentioned earlier, I upgrade often, so swapping in and out parts isn't going to play nice with microsofts EULA. Anyone with thoughts on this?

There have been an innumerable number of threads about this, and, microsoft has answered them, with the fact that they'll be much more open than originally expected on the entire thing.

Additionally, if you buy vista ultimate, rumor is, that you'll be able to buy two vista-home-basics for $50 a pop!

Last Friday I bought a Corsair kit, Twin2x2048-5400C4, which is DDR-2 675Mhz 4-4-4-12 2x1GB, lifetime warranty. Name brand memory that includes a heat spreader no less, for only $189 after rebate from fry's electronics. If you're lucky that deal will still be going on.

That's all well and good, but it has stated time and time again, that the official spec for memory for this motherboard is 1.8V, not the 1.9V that this ram is listed at.

:-(

Yes, you can make it work, but, no, it's not the right ram.

I bought official spec, DDR2-800, 4 x 1 GB, for $560, kingston.
No rebates to hassle with.

This stuff works, I'm using 2 gigs of it now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...emory&lp=4&type=product&cp=1&id=1153337017291

Also, for those that were wondering when we would get our copies of vista...
We are all considered members of teh Express Upgrade system, like people who bought a pc and will get the free upgrade from XP.
Timing depends on availability, when you placed your order and how many points you have.

:-D I had 22,750 points.

me said:
Additionally, if you buy vista ultimate, rumor is, that you'll be able to buy two vista-home-basics for $50 a pop!
Read, and be enlightened

Oh, and it's home premium!

If a person buys a copy of Vista Ultimate they will be 'allowed' to buy two copies of Vista Home Premium for between $50-$99 each.

Vista Home Premium's estimated retail price is $239 per copy so families would save a bit of cash. Vista Ultimate will hit the shops for $399 and the wonderful deal will not be available for those who buy it preloaded.

Second reference : http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=201
Even though the retail launch of Windows Vista just a couple of weeks away, Microsoft is still continuing to fine-tune its licensing and pricing details.

Sources said that Microsoft will announce some time over the next few days that the company will allow Vista Ultimate customers to purchase two additional copies of Vista Home Premium for somewhere between $50 to $99 a piece.

Microsoft "Officially" confirmed this on January 17th.

This stuff works, I'm using 2 gigs of it now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...emory&lp=4&type=product&cp=1&id=1153337017291

Also, for those that were wondering when we would get our copies of vista...
We are all considered members of teh Express Upgrade system, like people who bought a pc and will get the free upgrade from XP.
Timing depends on availability, when you placed your order and how many points you have.

:-D I had 22,750 points.

Why would you buy 2 gigs of "PNY pc2-5300 (in a 4 x 512 configuration) when you can have 2 gigs of Kingston pc2-6400 (in a 2 x 1 configuration) for the same price?

Does anyone have any concrete info on shipping of VIsta?

I have heard all sorts of rumors from :

Complete retail box to Not-for-Resale to a Download link ?

Which is it?

I have also heard that the RC1 that came with the bundle, needs to be registered and whoever registers the RC1 will receive the Vista (highly unlikely but looking for any confirmation on this).

TIA for any info

Does anyone have any concrete info on shipping of VIsta?

I have heard all sorts of rumors from :

Complete retail box to Not-for-Resale to a Download link ?

Which is it?

I have also heard that the RC1 that came with the bundle, needs to be registered and whoever registers the RC1 will receive the Vista (highly unlikely but looking for any confirmation on this).

TIA for any info

Yes I also have heard conflicting stories of how we will recieve vista.... Hopefully it wont take many of weeks :D

Im surprised they havent sent any emails or notified anyone on this subject yet, since its close to launch..

Don't expect anything until march. We are considered members of the Express upgrade program, just like people who bought a new PC since October 26th that had XP on it.

Don't expect anything until march. We are considered members of the Express upgrade program, just like people who bought a new PC since October 26th that had XP on it.

you sure about that, because the express program doesnt even have ultimate as choice... the highest I think you can get is premium...

you sure about that, because the express program doesnt even have ultimate as choice... the highest I think you can get is premium...
True, but we are still considered part of it as far as shipping and stock management goes.

A guy I work with told me intel will be shipping us just the install disks and product key (similar to the RC1 disks we got)

hopefully soon...

VERY good question.

Because I paid $86 per Gig.

The links I pointed to showed the ram for $140 a gig for 512mb x 2 sticks of pc2-5300
and
$268 for 1 GB x 2 sticks of pc2-6400

me said:
Why would you buy 2 gigs of "PNY pc2-5300 (in a 4 x 512 configuration) when you can have 2 gigs of Kingston pc2-6400 (in a 2 x 1 configuration) for the same price?

268 / 2 = $134 a gig.
140 for 2 512s = $140 a gig

Mind you, the $140 a gig (512mb x 2 sticks) that I link to is the EXACT same ram YOU linked to.

So, maybe you got some bargain for $86 a gig for this stuff.. but you CERTAINLY didn't link to it.

I am comparing YOUR link for ram @ $140 per gig to my link for ram @ $134 a gig, with the cheaper ram being better ram.

Get it?

If you want to boast about getting it for $86 a gig.. show us the LINK.

2 GB of pc2-5300 for $172 is a good purchase
2 Gb of pc2-5300 for $280, and NOT being able to upgrade without having to get rid of some of your ram when you can get 2GB of pc2-6400 for $268 is -NOT- a good purchase

The links I pointed to showed the ram for $140 a gig for 512mb x 2 sticks of pc2-5300
and

268 / 2 = $134 a gig.

Mind you, the $140 a gig (512mb x 2 sticks) that I link to is the EXACT same ram YOU linked to.

So, maybe you got some bargain for $86 a gig for this stuff.. but you CERTAINLY didn't link to it.

I am comparing YOUR link for ram @ $140 per gig to my link for ram @ $134 a gig, with the cheaper ram being better ram.

Get it?

2 Gb of pc2-5300 for $280, and NOT being able to upgrade without having to get rid of some of your ram when you can get 2GB of pc2-6400 for $268 is -NOT- a good purchase

Eh, sorry, no link. On sale 3 weeks ago, and when I linked it, it did show $86. :eek:
I may be able to scan the receipt later, as proof. My post was more to let people know the stuff works... offer up another option, as I know I am not a big fan of ordering stuff online, so here is one that people can go into the stores and get.

Eh, sorry, no link. On sale 3 weeks ago, and when I linked it, it did show $86. :eek:
I may be able to scan the receipt later, as proof. My post was more to let people know the stuff works... offer up another option, as I know I am not a big fan of ordering stuff online, so here is one that people can go into the stores and get.

Understandable. I got the A-Data DDR2-667 1 GB set in the intel mobo I have and they booted no problem and run like a champ! Link! That's $108 per gig! For a work machine they seem to be running fine.

That's all well and good, but it has stated time and time again, that the official spec for memory for this motherboard is 1.8V, not the 1.9V that this ram is listed at.

:-(

Yes, you can make it work, but, no, it's not the right ram.

I bought official spec, DDR2-800, 4 x 1 GB, for $560, kingston.
No rebates to hassle with.

The memory I mentioned works just fine for me, worked right out of the box too, I didn't need to do anything special. I am using it on the intel bundle right now, and even without the rebate I paid less per gig than you did.

I also went for this deal:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85127

I sent an email regarding the R1 release of Vista that was shipped with the promotion. Here is the response:

Thank you for contacting the Intel(R) Retail Edge Program Team.

You are correct in that sending the RC1 was a temporary solution until Microsoft* officially launched the full version of the OS. The final version of Windows Vista* Ultimate will be shipped later in 2007, shortly after it has been released publicly by Microsoft. Program members who have purchased their bundle do not need to take any further action to receive the final version at this time.

Please note: The final version should ship with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. However, only one activation code will be included. Once activated, the code cannot be used to activate the other version at a later date.

Regards,

Corey S.
The Intel(R) Retail Edge Program Team

I sent an email regarding the R1 release of Vista that was shipped with the promotion. Here is the response:

See if you can email Corey back and ask him if it will be a retail version or OEM.... I kinda want the jewel case, lol.

How's the motherboard in this bundle? Is it POS or worth keeping? Any good for OCing?

Piece of crap.
restrictive ram voltage and timings requirements, no OC ability.

BUT, it does have alot of ports, and is nice and tall, with 1 PCIEx16, 2 PCIEx1 and three PCI slots spread well. Cooling on the North and southbridge chips (not that it matters).

I'll probably get a DS3 and use that instead.

come on Intel... I want to play with the real Vista now...

I really want to reinstall my OS, but having to do it again in 2-3 weeks when Vista gets here just doesn't make sense..

crappy....

and

268 / 2 = $134 a gig.

Get it?

4x 512 gives you 4 way interleave.......duh

Understandable. I got the A-Data DDR2-667 1 GB set in the intel mobo I have and they booted no problem and run like a champ! Link! That's $108 per gig! For a work machine they seem to be running fine.

...better yet. If you ever pick up an OC'ing board those sticks will OC nicely with just a little extra voltage.

Piece of crap.
restrictive ram voltage and timings requirements, no OC ability.

BUT, it does have alot of ports, and is nice and tall, with 1 PCIEx16, 2 PCIEx1 and three PCI slots spread well. Cooling on the North and southbridge chips (not that it matters).

I'll probably get a DS3 and use that instead.

The DS3 uses the same "restrictive" 965 series chipsets.

The difference is, INTEL tells you that the 965 series chipset has that 1.8v requirement.
Gigabyte nevers says a word.

I tend to think intel knows what their own chipsets can and can't do. I also tend to think that gigabyte will say anything to get their products sold.

Can you run non 1.8v ram in a DG965WH. Yes, you can. I have done it first hand.
As have others in this very thread.

SHOULD you? No.
You SHOULDN'T with the gigabyte board you are contemplating, either.

Oh, and btw, except for overclocking capabilities, the DG965WH board is -SUPERIOR- to the ds3

Read this :
ALL 965 series chipsets, as per intel, REQUIRE 1.8V ram, with 5-5-5-10 timing.

That doesn't change the fact that 90% of systems with those chipsets probably run fine without it.

Oh, and the "Right" DDR2-800 ram is down to $245 per 2 GB now. fuck beans.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820134117

The DS3 uses the same "restrictive" 965 series chipsets.

The difference is, INTEL tells you that the 965 series chipset has that 1.8v requirement.
Gigabyte nevers says a word.

I tend to think intel knows what their own chipsets can and can't do. I also tend to think that gigabyte will say anything to get their products sold.

Can you run non 1.8v ram in a DG965WH. Yes, you can. I have done it first hand.
As have others in this very thread.

SHOULD you? No.
You SHOULDN'T with the gigabyte board you are contemplating, either.

Oh, and btw, except for overclocking capabilities, the DG965WH board is -SUPERIOR- to the ds3

Read this :
ALL 965 series chipsets, as per intel, REQUIRE 1.8V ram, with 5-5-5-10 timing.

That doesn't change the fact that 90% of systems with those chipsets probably run fine without it.

Oh, and the "Right" DDR2-800 ram is down to $245 per 2 GB now. fuck beans.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820134117
LOL, fuck beans indeed.
Well the reason I mentioned the Ds3 is that I am running the DG965wh as we speak... I am writing on it. (check sig ) Thus I have already purchased my ram, and so the timings don't matter too much for me. However the complete lack of ANY OC ability, especially with the e6300, is a crime.

But you raise a valid point, in that if someone was looking at these two boards, not in teh INtel package, the intel one (besides the OClessness) is a better board is soem respects...

EXCEPT the IDE port placement... It SUUUUUUCKS.
wiring1.jpg

You cannot plug in an IDE cable into a CD rom drive at the top of a case (standard ATX size) and a Hard drive at the same time. So you have to have your optical drive half way down, or buy a SATA HD. Or two and put them in a RAID0 array like I did:

2.jpg

PS> People should post pics of their setups if they used the Retail Edge package... like I did here!

EXCEPT the IDE port placement... It SUUUUUUCKS.

And where is the ide port on the DS3?

combo.jpg

However...

because of placement..

On the GA-965g-DS3, if you have a double wide video card, you might have a problem over heatsink over the southbridge.
I.e. I doubt, highly, that you could get an 8800GTS in there without it's HSF riding on the hsf of the southbridge.
I mean, hell.. mine ALMOST does on my intel board, and it's further away.

Also, the northbridge cooler on the intel is MUCH larger, than on either of the gigabyte boards.

the 965P has those 8 wonderful sata slots, but if you're running dual SLI cards, you might be running your card RIGHT over them.My only complaint with the 965 is..

I would have shifted items (southbrige, 6 satas..) down further into the "Dead" area.. and maybe swapped the position of the pci-e x16 and the pci-e x1.. I'd rather sacrifice a PCI slot today than a PCI-e slot.

although, witgh a doublewide video card, I end up with 3 pci & 2 pci-e usable which is still decent.

On the 965g-ds3 it's the same.
Arguably, if you look at it, the ga965ds3 and the intel board are very similair, except that .. honestly, I prefer the 'cleaner" layout of the intel.. there seems to be an AWFUL lot of clutter on those gigabyte boards, with no additional features in trade... except for overclocking.

Oh, and the "fuck beans" was because I paid, shipped, $283.38 a pop for each 2 gig set of kingston ram, which is now ~$250 shipped.

BTW, I beg to differ.

My dg965wh has an ide port burner at the top of my case..
:)

My suggestion, to you, however,is to get a better case.
I guess I gotta post a pic of my rig. But.. lets see.
lian-li v2000 series.

What's that mean?
Oh.. wait, my motherboard is UPSIDE DOWN.
so.. my optical drive is about 4 inches away from the p-ata port.

system.jpg

How many fans can you see in this picture?
Count them! And get back to me with the grand total.
Hint
The beauty of this # is that, my cieling fan is the only fan I hear. My system is QUIET.

Need to do some more cable management. Considering each HDD has 3 wires coming from it, it's amazing it's even this neat.

Migrating a lot of this computers duties to system #2, so, that's why it's slots are so barren.

system2.jpg

4 Gigabytes of Lovin.

haven't taken any recent pics of my computer so here are a few. I'm keeping my intel board, which I love b/c I don't really game much (though even a small OC would be nice).

The IDE issue doesnt bother me as I got a SATA optical drive, mostly for cable management reasons as 5 HDDs already add enough cables. Sorry the pics are crappy but its all stuffed into the little brother of cyber's case and my system is very quiet as well. Also, its impossible to see, but there is some HDMI goodness going on :D

I am keeping my E6300 and vista ultimate...

but I don't need to mobo... (any1 interested *pm* me) :)

ps. I hope they give us the full retail version of Vista Ultimate :)

i put my time in on this last year, but they refused to give me my coupon code because i was 17, despite being employed at bestbuy and having well over 12k chips. left a bad taste in my mouth for intel.

that sucks... Trough the Retail Edge website, it wouldn't give me the code, but I changed age to 18 (I am only 16 and work at Best Buy), it then gave me a code...

also I emailed Intel and they said it was alright. :)

I would have been screwed if they didn't let me buy it, not to mention I would complain to crap about discrimination.

I am keeping my E6300 and vista ultimate...

but I don't need to mobo... (any1 interested *pm* me) :)

ps. I hope they give us the full retail version of Vista Ultimate :)
Don't know when (I heard late February), we're getting Vista Ultimate- both x86, and x86-64. Only thing is, the code can only be activated with one or the other- NOT BOTH. Makes sense, and it doesn't at the same time. I thought the point of us getting these bundles was to be more edjumacated re: the beauty of the C2D microprocessor, INCLUDING its 64-bit functionality. How are we supposed to give a genuine opinion of it if we aren't allowed to make full use of it?

Edit:
Fuck. Read the first post on this page.

@ cyber.
You raise some good points, but I would still argue that the Ds3 sli is a better board. The northbridge cooler on the wh is better, but you'll never need the extra cooling, as there's no OC ability. I was actually going to look into switching the coolers if I did get the ds3. lol.

Anyway, that sux that your case has an inverted board. Well, for me at least, as that would solve a lot of the problems I had with this board. The shape forced me to replace my perfectly good IDE drive with a SATA one (ClubIT ftw btw).

Just keep in mind those upside down ATX cases are not the norm yet. My case is fine, it's a standard size.

Back