Intel Retail Edge 2006!

is there a phone number for intel? i'm moving and have to change the address where they ship vista. They aren't responding to the contact us page.

~J

Anyone actually build a system out of these components. I would like to build one but the mobo seems a little weak (lack of OC, SLI). Please post your builds as I am a total noob but would like to build my first PC and bought this package. i plan to build using this mobo but upgrade that later using same RAM, GPU, PSU, HD, etc.... Does that seem realistic?

Graphic cards seem to be the most difficult issue overall here. We are so close to DX10 but it is hard to find reliable info on that subject, same with HDCP. What implications are there with the HDCP is that just for Blu Ray HDDVD or will that also effect gaming?

Is it too late to do all of this? Haha. Never seen this before, but it looks like a killer deal.

As I stated earlier in this thread.

Motherboard gets an F-

But I did build a nice OC'd machine out of the processor and a copy of vista is cool. But if you are planning on buying this based on the motherboard, you would be better off taking the $220 and buy a E6400. :D

Why does it get an F, wouldn't vista and the cpu be worth the price alone. And what about just selling the motherboard on ebay?

fatpirate said:
Anyone actually build a system out of these components. I would like to build one but the mobo seems a little weak (lack of OC, SLI). Please post your builds as I am a total noob but would like to build my first PC and bought this package. i plan to build using this mobo but upgrade that later using same RAM, GPU, PSU, HD, etc.... Does that seem realistic?
SOme people find a "bells & whistles" light, but still feature rich, stable board to be more preferable to an overclocking board.

The system I built out of this didn't use the CPU, but did use the mobo.
e6300 is too lowend for me :)

The 8800 series cards are HDCP + DX10.

If you JUST want hdcp, but don't think dx10 matters (cause, really, right now, it doesn't) ati has some nice offerings.

8gb ram support, onboard video + pci-e, 6 sata2, raid, etc.. is very nice.
Works well as a "Server" board (due to the onboard video) or a power-user machine.

Why does it get an F, wouldn't vista and the cpu be worth the price alone. And what about just selling the motherboard on ebay?
Because some people think a motherboard that doesn't overclock is crap.. I.e. they are talking out of their asses when they say things like that. This is a GREAT motherboard. I'd give it a B+
My only complaints are (and this is true of ALL 965 chipset equipped boards) is the stringent memory demands, and (not true of all 965 boards) the fact that I can't seem to turn off the intel splash screen.

think it would be possible to sell the copy of vista on ebay for like $250?? Or are they tracking the copies?

also does it come with a processor fan??

Does anyone know if we'll be getting the full version in a Retail Box??
Or when it will be shipped out... I can't wait :)

It will be in a little slip case, like windows xp pro last year. It will say Not for Resale on the slip case. Otherwise, the actual cd looks like it can be sold.

By the way, I sold my e6300 and intel mobo for $200, so vista costed me $55. Hopefully they don't lose it in the mail. hehe Anyone knows when will we receive final version?

Typing this on my machine now. I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 mobo, 2 GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR-1000, and my old 7800 GT card. Runs like a charm so far. Took the mobo and convinced my boss to let me use an old vid card to start a system at work. Gonna be another e6300 system there too. Hope to start OC'ing my system soon!

think it would be possible to sell the copy of vista on ebay for like $250?? Or are they tracking the copies?

also does it come with a processor fan??

The copy of vista will be CLEARLY marked "NOT FOR RESALE"

You could probably do it, but you would be doing something wrong.

CPU is retail boxed.
Retail boxed cpus come with HSF

Typing this on my machine now. I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 mobo, 2 GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR-1000, and my old 7800 GT card. Runs like a charm so far.

What does this have to do with the retail edge bundle?
Obviously you aren't using the motherboard from it. The question posed a few posts back was had anyone built a system out of this bundle. Obviously, you did not with THAT setup. above

brasherman said:
Took the mobo and convinced my boss to let me use an old vid card to start a system at work. Gonna be another e6300 system there too. Hope to start OC'ing my system soon!
This Intel motherboard Does NOT overclock so you MUST be talking about your gigabyte setup, which is unrelated to this thread.

Does anyone know if we'll be getting the full version in a Retail Box??
Or when it will be shipped out... I can't wait :)

It will most likely be a sleeved copy. In addition, the disk itself will have not for resale emblazaned in the top printing job. Lastly, your CDKEY will be tied to your name, so sally smith installing it will be a red flag.
It will ship out when the product is actually available. Since it is -NOT- available, it is not shipping out. Official launch date, i believe, is january 30th, so, I would EXPECT, that we shall see these things in February, if not March, much like the other dealy for vista + office bundles.

It's funny. I have 8 computers in my house, (5 of which will be moving to vista) and I'm going to have a free O/S for every single one of them, between launch events, online promotions, intel retail edge bundles, and free upgrades on super economy systems
I'll also have at least -3- office 2007s. I have to say, this is probably the BEST thing [h] has done for me, anyhow.. since 3 of the vistas, and 1 office would not have been something I would have known about without this forum.\

so you think it would be a bad idea to sell off the vista then?

Uhm, Yes. It's against the rules of the agreement for one, so you'd be violating the license.
I am not sure if microsoft's eula also makes it ILLEGAL or not.

But

"You CANNOT sell software marked as NOT FOR RESALE"

Now, if I am INCORRECT, and the box is a retail box that doesn't say clearly on it (and the disk itself) that it is "not for resale" then go ahead.
I am only GUESSING that they are providing an NFR, OEM copy. The cpu & mobo were both retail items, so, maybe the software will be too.
Past experience (i.e. previous retail edges) as far as I know, came with NFR, OEM software.

NFR is not for Retail/ebay, if you sold it to a friend, they dont care.

anyone have a unused E6300?

how can a company declare the secondary market "illegal"? software publishers already lost this battle in court a decade ago. if you have a piece of property you wish to sell, the original manufacturer's wishes are largely irrelevant.

granted, you had to agree to the terms of sale to *get* the bundle, and that's where your ability to sell is restricted, but please don't confuse the actual agreement between parties (yourself and Intel Retail Edge) with an item that "can't be resold" (hogwash).

how can a company declare the secondary market "illegal"? software publishers already lost this battle in court a decade ago. if you have a piece of property you wish to sell, the original manufacturer's wishes are largely irrelevant.

granted, you had to agree to the terms of sale to *get* the bundle, and that's where your ability to sell is restricted, but please don't confuse the actual agreement between parties (yourself and Intel Retail Edge) with an item that "can't be resold" (hogwash).

If Intel determined that you sold your Retail Edge bundle and wanted to prevent you from purchasing future bundles, they could do so. Its in the T&C that you agreed to when you purchased the bundle.

Now the question is are they going to enforce those T&C? Not likely.

The purpose of the Retail Edge and others like it is to get the technology into the hands of the people that sell AND support it. If intel determines that this stategy is no longer effective they will/might cancel Retail Edge.

When was the last "Retail Edge'esqu" bundle have you seen from AMD? Mine was 2004.

What does this have to do with the retail edge bundle?
Obviously you aren't using the motherboard from it. The question posed a few posts back was had anyone built a system out of this bundle. Obviously, you did not with THAT setup. above

This Intel motherboard Does NOT overclock so you MUST be talking about your gigabyte setup, which is unrelated to this thread.

Actually, YOU are incorrect as I have now built TWO computers out of the bundle. I have another, identical e6300 in the G965 mobo from Intel at work in an Antec NSK-3300. Runs like a charm with some A-Data DDR2-667 RAM at 1.8V and a left over X550 Radeon. I even used the retail HSF for now to see what it was like. Results? Very quiet surprisingly. And I was not responding to just the post on who had built the bundle. Others have posted the results of their system building and even that they were selling the whole bundle. So please take your criticism elsewhere where it may be more welcome.

I want to also thank Intel for the bundle. It has proven very useful and flexible this year! Dunno when I will choose to run Vista. Not much there that interests me at this point, even after all the beta and RC usage.

I was also illustrating a point I thought relevant: Even if you want to OC and game, it only takes a few hundred more to make two systems that are reasonably powerful for everyday work. You could even get the D805 or 820 for $100 for the Intel mobo and save even more money for the two system build. Nice of my boss to get me some good parts though!

One last note: the 3Dmark 06 scores from last year's and this year's bundles are nearly identical, but the switch to an overclockable mobo should make this year's a runaway success (I hope!).

EDIT: Oops, it's the NSK-4400 tower, not the 3300. Just barely big enough to fit the G965 mobo. Pretty tight in there!

Does anyone have info on what the bundle is right now ? Is it still available ? I just got a new part time job at a local computer chain (Pc Cyber) and want to know if I can get in on this.If not I at least still get parts at cost,starting next weekend. :)

Does anyone have info on what the bundle is right now ? Is it still available ? I just got a new part time job at a local computer chain (Pc Cyber) and want to know if I can get in on this.If not I at least still get parts at cost,starting next weekend. :)

LOL

No, I believe you are out of luck. People are still allowed to place orders I think, but the points are from last years quizzes. If your retailer is on the list, get signed up right away so you get maximum points from this year's quizzes!

Intel Retail Edge

If you aren't included in the list, I am not sure how to get on it. You would have to contact the Retail Edge people yourself.

tards won't ship to APO/FPO boxes.

I have a code now that i can't even use.
MSG me if you want to work something out.

just purchased mine... only had 11,300 chips... when will we know what next years purchase program is?

also i dont believe if any said if it did come with a cpu fan?

Uhm, Yes. It's against the rules of the agreement for one, so you'd be violating the license.
I am not sure if microsoft's eula also makes it ILLEGAL or not.

But

"You CANNOT sell software marked as NOT FOR RESALE"

Now, if I am INCORRECT, and the box is a retail box that doesn't say clearly on it (and the disk itself) that it is "not for resale" then go ahead.
I am only GUESSING that they are providing an NFR, OEM copy. The cpu & mobo were both retail items, so, maybe the software will be too.
Past experience (i.e. previous retail edges) as far as I know, came with NFR, OEM software.

I wonder if they can really enforce that. My guess is they cannot. I'll give an example: record labels use to send out promos of singles (and albums) to various entities (reviewers, program directors, people in the business and so on) and those items were always resold. They cannot be sold as a retail item in a retail store, but they can be sold. If <insert favorite artist> releases a single, you can be sure that a promo of it will be on ebay within days.

I'm sure there's someone that wants a promo of windows vista ;)

As for the Eula, I think the juries still out on whether they're enforcable. Besides, if you sell the softare, you probably haven't hopened it and thus haven't seen the Eula :D

yea i was trying to come out as cheap as i could making a dual core system... looks like around $280 for 1gb memory, pci-e graphics card, and a 250gb sata drive...

just a heads up for everyone i was reading up on the board and dont get mem that is above 1.8v it wont work with the board..

i hope to sell off vista for 250 and my old system for like $150 so getting a dual core system for like $130 ;)

Microsoft does enforce it on ebay at least... I know they're always taking down the Academic XP Pro auctions.

just a heads up for everyone i was reading up on the board and dont get mem that is above 1.8v it wont work with the board..

Didn't I mention that already, or did I say that in another thread.

I opted for the kingston 800mhz 2x1GB kit for $280 @ the egg.
I'm opting for another one when they come back in stock. :)

Oops.. they are back in stock :-!

KVR800D2N5K2/2G

Make that 4GB in sys1

BTW, it's $280 for 2 gb of memory, not 1GB

Microsoft does enforce it on ebay at least... I know they're always taking down the Academic XP Pro auctions.

That's odd, given that you can go to Frys (and various other retailers) and buy academic versions of MS software (but I can't say that I've seen such ads for OSs).

I actually think MS would be wise to just sell cheaper versions of the OS to anyone that's not using it for commercial purposes....as it is, I recommend people go sign up for a cheap Community college course and go shopping for s/w. In dallas, these courses are often around $100.00....you learn something and you save more than that on virtually any individual S/W purchase.

Sigh, please read the thread before you post inaccurate information. It has been posted by multiple people in this thread that they have (including me) purchased ram that was set for 2.1,etc and it down clocks just fine at boot.

And as an example my e6300 from the bundle with 2GB of DDR2-667 Crucial 10th Anni works just fine at 1.8v even though it is rated at 2.1/2.2v.

That's odd, given that you can go to Frys (and various other retailers) and buy academic versions of MS software (but I can't say that I've seen such ads for OSs).
It's not really enforced in stores, I guess mostly because microsoft can't see what's being sold to who. And no one really cares. But you are supposed to give proof I think... I know no one ever checks where I work though.

On eBay it's the same thing. But Microsoft tells eBay to take down auctions that look suspicious. Actually I think I remember reading in Microsoft's eBay profile that you can sell academic software online as long as you get proof of academic status (have winner send copy of Student ID)

it will ship after the offical release is what the email told me. anybody got a link for 2x1 gig of memory for cheap for this mb?????

thanks!

it will ship after the offical release is what the email told me.

How long after though?

anybody got a link for 2x1 gig of memory for cheap for this mb?????

thanks!

Last Friday I bought a Corsair kit, Twin2x2048-5400C4, which is DDR-2 675Mhz 4-4-4-12 2x1GB, lifetime warranty. Name brand memory that includes a heat spreader no less, for only $189 after rebate from fry's electronics. If you're lucky that deal will still be going on.

Here's the fry's outpost link for C&O:

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4779779?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

B&M is what is on sale though, you save $20 over fry's outpost. Even without the rebate, its still a good price.

Quick question, the vista premium version that we're receiving from intel for this deal, is it an OEM? I've read some article that mentioned that you'd have to register your copy of windows. I upgrade my system frequently and I don't know what to expect. Any thoughts?

Quick question, the vista premium version that we're receiving from intel for this deal, is it an OEM? I've read some article that mentioned that you'd have to register your copy of windows. I upgrade my system frequently and I don't know what to expect. Any thoughts?

First of all, it's Vista Ultimate that we'll be getting. Second, you don't have to register but you'll have to activate.

Back